Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

spechtie posted:

can your precious science explains this? Didn't think so :colbert:

This is incredible. Can’t wait for that to be me.

Also I thought the posting afterlife was in Valhalla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not just gently caress off into retirement with the giant insurance checks, and instead use it to rebuild the company as it's meant to be used

Maybe one of those workers should get off their lazy rear end and start a new game company...

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tuyop posted:

what’s up with his car

the skirt poo poo is so they can drive right next to a storm, lower ot to the ground, and then no tornado speed air can get under the car to flip it. or so the logic goes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

space weather

https://twitter.com/JKempEnergy/status/1788624783225077877

this means it's more likely for aurora to happen, right? I wonder if I should stay up late Saturday to see it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spergin Morlock posted:

the skirt poo poo is so they can drive right next to a storm, lower ot to the ground, and then no tornado speed air can get under the car to flip it. or so the logic goes

Tornado with low‐pressure air passing over the higher‐pressure air stuck under the car: “Get flipped, idiot.”

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

space weather

this means it's more likely for aurora to happen, right? I wonder if I should stay up late Saturday to see it
Check the auroral oval graphic and articles on https://www.spaceweather.com for the most up to date predictions. The sun is still spitting out X class flares, 2 today, 2 yesterday, and 1 Tuesday with some strong M class flares mixed in.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Spergin Morlock posted:

it also has huge lag bolts that drill into the ground to hold it down. it's a cool car

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Maed posted:

rip demon of the fall, may he post forever in heaven

all the videos turned out crap because it was just too drat dark, but this one was cool with the clouds. pretty sure the tornado was behind the garage in the center right

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

space weather

I didn’t have another Carrington Event loving everything up on my 2024 bingo disaster card. :mad:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

good i hope everyones computers loving explode

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

what about the somewhat desperate, "DOMINATOR" text

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

space weather

i'll be sheltering in place all weekend

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

DOMINATE CHASING

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

that's so the tornado doesn't get any funny ideas

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh cool. Last night central Texas had some huge hails dropped on us

https://twitter.com/averytomascowx/status/1788873269090582904

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

all hail central texas

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

NeonPunk posted:

Oh cool. Last night central Texas had some huge hails dropped on us

https://twitter.com/averytomascowx/status/1788873269090582904

ah hail nawh

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

SKULL.GIF posted:

space weather

i feel like they would ground all planes if this actually mattered though

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Floor is lava posted:

You must be new to Cspam. Grounding planes would harm the economy and so that will never be allowed to happen

Like we already have Boeing airplane falling apart midair and ain't nobody grounding them

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Floor is lava posted:

It's so cute you think this but also lmao

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the planes will ground themselves

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
:rubby:

another X4 flare and hit S1 on solar radiation

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mola Yam posted:

the planes will ground themselves

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

BRB, wrapping my car and other electronics in aluminum foil as a makeshift Faraday cage

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
time to put your cellphones and laptops in a microwave

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

You must be new to Cspam. Grounding planes would harm the economy and so that will never be allowed to happen

Like we already have Boeing airplane falling apart midair and ain't nobody grounding them

Well, to be fair they did ground the Boeing whistle-blower a couple weeks ago

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

das hipster posted:

Well, to be fair they did ground the Boeing whistle-blowers a couple weeks ago

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

the heat wave has been rough but after just 1 day of working in the sun I do feel better, overall. I haven't experienced that much sun at once since probably last fall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A bunch of tornadoes went through Tallahassee this morning. At least one hit the FSU campus

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

it has been an honor posting with you all if the storm knocks out the grid and we descend into complete lawlessness

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Scarabrae posted:

it has been an honor posting with you all if the storm knocks out the grid and we descend into complete lawlessness

I live in Florida. We don’t even wait for the grid to go out.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait hang on. NOAA had a livestream earlier that I missed about the solar storm and they said they were expecting damage to life and property?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

NeonPunk posted:

Wait hang on. NOAA had a livestream earlier that I missed about the solar storm and they said they were expecting damage to life and property?

There was a G5 in 2003 that caused power outages in Sweden and damaged transformers as far south as South Africa.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Would this gently caress up planes?

I wouldn't trust the FAA to do the safe thing, but I'm sure there's some country with a functioning regulatory body that would have grounded flights by now.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
another G4 warning

briefly hit S2 class solar radiation

quote:

Satellite operations: Infrequent single-event upsets possible.

idk what the bars on the right mean exactly but they keep filling up from the top down. was between 5 and 10 this morning

tomorrow is supposed to be the maximum hit last i heard

PostNouveau posted:

Would this gently caress up planes?

I wouldn't trust the FAA to do the safe thing, but I'm sure there's some country with a functioning regulatory body that would have grounded flights by now.

S2 radiation warning:
Biological: Passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to elevated radiation risk.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 19:24 on May 10, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

saintonan posted:

There was a G5 in 2003 that caused power outages in Sweden and damaged transformers as far south as South Africa.

That was a single G5 too. We're expecting several G5 in a row.. And after listening, they'll only get an early warning on how bad it could be when it's a hundred million miles away. Which is like about ~ 45 minutes or so.

I'm sure it's not that bad, otherwise somebody would say something right?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
CNN actually has a front page blurb about it right now but lol i just dont think people really grasp how hosed up poo poo would suddenly get if even just GPS goes.

SORRY YOU GOTTA PRINT THE DIRECTIONS OFF MAPQUEST DOT COM AGAIN

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

CNN actually has a front page blurb about it right now but lol i just dont think people really grasp how hosed up poo poo would suddenly get if even just GPS goes.

it's one of those things that's "not worth thinking about" because if it happens, what are you gonna do? remember you saw some info online about it and look it up? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

the possibility of it frying all of Starlink makes me so happy