Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

net work error posted:

There's no showing near me

My condolences, I hope you can find it when it comes out on VOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

French sci fi is usually pretty bad so it's good to hear that Mars Express nails it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whirling posted:

I think its cool how english discussions of anime dubs are all "i will loving KILL the voice actors, they are terrible and defiling this beautiful work of art from Nippon" and whenever you look at japanese people discussing them, its usually very polite even if their opinion is negative in regards to the english VAs.

I haven't noticed this in most places for years, outside of right-wing "anti-woke" online spaces. If anything it feels like the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction, where not preferring dubs is treated like some sort of unreasonable viewpoint.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The dubs are all bad I think that dub likers just have their standards eroded away by years of dub watching

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

I think its cool how english discussions of anime dubs are all "i will loving KILL the voice actors, they are terrible and defiling this beautiful work of art from Nippon" and whenever you look at japanese people discussing them, its usually very polite even if their opinion is negative in regards to the english VAs.
culture war has creeped into everything, so now all localizers are woke monsters that butcher and censor the original show in the name of dei, op

unrelated, communist thoughts is correct :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

The dubs are all bad I think that dub likers just have their standards eroded away by years of dub watching

:hai:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't noticed this in most places for years, outside of right-wing "anti-woke" online spaces. If anything it feels like the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction, where not preferring dubs is treated like some sort of unreasonable viewpoint.

yes, many of todays modern anime viewers are illiterate and are proud of that, and consider sub-watchers to be ableist

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bro Dad posted:

in the future robots will be horny. and trans

:bisonyes:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I really appreciate Studio Trigger adapting all the Senshi upskirts from the manga with their eye for fanservice.

:bisonyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the dungeon meshi anime is the only anime that I've watched strictly in dubbed English for the past gosh knows how long

probably since the last ghibli movie I've seen, which is likely When Marnie was There

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Whirling posted:

their opinion is negative in regards to the english VAs.
same

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dubs are good, subs are good, we live in an anime golden age. It's not the 90s anymore, oldweebs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
no

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
youre anime is already dubbed

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Honest Thief posted:

youre anime is already dubbed

swell up and explode into johnny young basch and yuri lowenthal

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Dubs are good, subs are good

Always have been

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I know it's partly due to the fact that it's not the original audio source but the audio mixing on dubs always bothered me. The levels are not quite right and sound almost too loud sometimes more often than not imo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Dubs are good, subs are good, we live in an anime golden age. It's not the 90s anymore, oldweebs.

the golden age started with cowboy bebop and ended with ghost in the shell 2nd gig

you get a few crumbs of diamond in a sea of poo poo and think it good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if college anime clubs use subs or dubs these days?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The existence of any good English dub is as rare as the planets aligning with the Sun. English voice directors for some reason have no idea what they're doing unless it's a professional production because a big company like Disney localized a Ghibli film in the 90s. IMO the big factor in all of this is California. I blame Californians for sucking rear end and not caring that much about anything.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

the golden age started with cowboy bebop and ended with ghost in the shell 2nd gig

You.forget the universal truth

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

You got a diamond a year (if that) in a pool of poo poo but your pocky clogged brain forgot about the garbage that was coming out and only remembered the diamonds. Everything is always mostly bad, we just have far more anime and you haven't forgotten the recent bad poo poo yet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
even one piece is looking better than cowboy bebop these days

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

tokin opposition posted:

You got a diamond a year (if that) in a pool of poo poo but your pocky clogged brain forgot about the garbage that was coming out and only remembered the diamonds. Everything is always mostly bad, we just have far more anime and you haven't forgotten the recent bad poo poo yet.

1998 had Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I feel like there was less of the blobular moe style of characters in the olden days. What kicked that off anyway like lucky star or something?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Anyway anime was better in 1998. Pokemon was on TV and I was like four years old so it was a great time

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Gripweed posted:

1998 had Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

Only one and a half of those are good

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Casey Finnigan posted:

I feel like there was less of the blobular moe style of characters in the olden days. What kicked that off anyway like lucky star or something?

Azumanga Daioh if I had to guess and Lucky Star was just that idea pushed to a more pandering extreme

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sb hermit posted:

the dungeon meshi anime is the only anime that I've watched strictly in dubbed English for the past gosh knows how long

probably since the last ghibli movie I've seen, which is likely When Marnie was There

https://x.com/ProZD/status/1788648526043545653

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sungwon is such good casting for Senshi I hear the subs in his voice even if I'm on the Japanese audio track

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kit Walker posted:

Azumanga Daioh if I had to guess and Lucky Star was just that idea pushed to a more pandering extreme

Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are both over two decades old, they are “the olden days”

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Not compared to 1998, the eternal benchmark

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
1998 was 40 years ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cowboy Bebop...Utena...none of this trash is as good as Valvrave the Liberator, the best anime ever made

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I also like the dungeon meshi dub and I think the FFXIV dub is great, but it is actually rare for me to use dubs. my point is that people are too mean to western VAs though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

People should be mean to voice directors.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are both over two decades old, they are “the olden days”

Yeah, sure, and that's why they're the moeblob ancestors

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

People should be mean to voice directors.
that's fair, I do think a lot of them working in the anime dubbing industry don't really coax out the best performances they can.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Wasn't 1998 also the year every single video game people remember came out.

That was a good year. It's been downhill since.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Wasn't 1998 also the year every single video game people remember came out.

That was a good year. It's been downhill since.

1997. Though 98 also had a great crop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Oldest Man posted:

Sungwon is such good casting for Senshi I hear the subs in his voice even if I'm on the Japanese audio track

He's incredible as Vaseraga in the Granblue stuff, like god drat.