Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

When you put it like that, yeah, it makes sense.

Task Force Bruiser in Ramadi, which Chris Kyle was a part of, was basically just there to run up a bodycount for the brass, with the results you'd expect.

Also think about managerial and administrative techniques and practices from Taylorism to McNamara introducing charts to account for everything like how many Viet Cong were killed even if the body count was inflated or consisted of civilians to mid to high level managers at the Pentagon wanting every officer to have their turning commanding troops in the field for a few months to a year even if it provided disrupted to the unit's morale and cohesion among other things.

With the problems soldiers of the SEALS, Airborne, Rangers, and other elite units being trainers, think of them that they are serving a purpose teaching curriculum by the administrators set up at the Pentagon which usually couldn't be changed by the instructors. The problem soldiers were seen to be something useful and cultural problems like DUIs and beating up wives were seen more of a problem of boys being boys releasing some steam.

The leadership at the Pentagon after the End of History but before 9/11, sent out those elite units to places like Haiti, Somali, Kosovo, and other places because they wanted to secure funding for their respective mission and schools. Even if they screwed things up, they were still in the public's eyes being noted for their gallant sacrifice.

If you look at it from an administrative and neoliberal angle, it makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Vim Fuego posted:

I don';t know, you'll have to post it

I only have the hitler one

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

thanks I hate it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

she's saying white people can't say something is racist lol that doesn't make any sense.

a guy walks down the street covered in swastika tattoos, as a non jewish white person I can't say "that dude's a racist", is that what she's saying lol

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 14:14 on May 10, 2024

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Womens Reproductive Rights/IVF/Abortion/The Economy/The Israel/Hamas War, Releasing Of the Hostages/Communicating & Listening to the Youth of the Country/Student Debt: All should all be "High Priority Issues" when "Campaign Blitzing." Communicate & Dialogue with then People. Be specific & targeted with your approach depending on which State, City or Municipality that you are in.
Trump on the other hand seems to have no interest in attracting the "Moderates" & "Independents." You can see the change in Trumps demeanor in the Courtroom because he can no longer do and say as he pleases, he is not use to that, meaning he cannot control his evironment and it shows. Trump is irritable and dozing off every now and then. This Trial is certainly affecting Trump in a negative way. As I write this "Opinion" early this morning, Trump has still not extended an 'Olive Branch" to the Haley Supporters and others. Trump seems content with his Campaign position right now which baffles me. Is arrogance and complacency setting in with Trump? Is Trump taking his supporters for granted? On his day off from the Trial, instead of Campaigning, Trump played Golf. Really !! Some Words Of Wisdom For Trump & His Team: "Trump Cannot Win With MAGA Alone, No man Is An Island." Because of Trumps apparent arrogance and attitude, President Biden has caught up to him and in some states is beating him now. This will be an extremely close election and this is no time to stay home and protest. However, speaking to you Republican Moderates, a "Stay Home Vote" is a vote not for Trump. Biden invites you all over to his "Huge Tent." "ARE YOU RIDEN WITH BIDEN??" Choose Wisely. Democracy As You Know It Is At Risk !! Just My 2 Cents. For What It is Worth !!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

spacemang_spliff posted:

is this concept art for clone high season 2 & 3

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

she's saying white people can't say something is racist lol that doesn't make any sense.

a guy walks down the street covered in swastika tattoos, as a non jewish white person I can't say "that dude's a racist", is that what she's saying lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

My thoughts exactly!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

“Look here Jack - if Israel murders the entire population in Palestine I won’t send them any more murder tools. Now come help me close this barn door.”

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/TheDemocrats/status/1788668308612350119

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1788622758038966720
https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1788907760781779067
https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1788922465348944024

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Shook

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's important we know how much women wanted to gently caress Lin Manuel MirandaHamilton. That is core to his story and, dare I say, the history of our nation.

Not nearly as much as the ones that wanted to gently caress Burr.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'd like to see "jen rubin's Green Room" play out much like the plot of the movie Green Room

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Asproigerosis posted:

???

The US officially does not even acknowledge the validity of the ICC.

that doesnt make any sense if we dont acknowledge the validity of the icc how are we supposed to punish putin for doing a genocide in ukraine

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I need to VOTE for the guy who couldn't get his poo poo together to be on the ballot in my state

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gorson posted:

We've had the world's highest incarceration rate since 2002

who was number one in 2001

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

lol I was reading British newspapers from the 1860's that made those exact arguments

:psyduck:

I didn't realize people were arguing that free trade was a moral imperative in this century.

it goes back even farther than the spanish were trying to bullshit free trade as a moral imperative justifying the conquest of the new world all the way back in the sixteenth century

the other two planks of their argument were the freedom to proselytize and the freedom to conduct diplomatic relations all of this hinged incidentally on people just ignoring that the conquistadors werent even pretending like they wanted to do any of these things

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

more like JRwordBlogger amirite?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mcmagic posted:

the thing that triggers me the most is when people act like hamas did oct 7th just for fun because they are all serial killers who want to kill jew for fun and ignore any and all political or material context

does anyone have that article from maybe a week before october seventh talking about how bibi was already getting his ducks in a row preparing for an invasion of rafah

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There is an excuse: I don't vote for genocide supporters.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tsitsikovas posted:

The Stranger is one of the dumbest books, and that was at my personal peak of college grad existentialism rules phase. Some spoiled, bored as hell white guy kills an arab just to feel something? Ponders hard about it?

hosed up book, frankly. gently caress albert camel.

what if crime and punishment except instead of the main character being a weird demented loser hes just too smart for his own good

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm voting for the brain worm

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Haven't there been literal studies that show voters and their preferences have little to no impact on policy development. How does someone like this square that circle? Even if Biden wasn't a total piece of poo poo and I was merely indifferent to him rather than actively disdainful what's really my motivation to vote for him, it doesn't do anything.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ayahuasca in every pot, and a worm in every brain.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nix Panicus posted:

So whats this thing about Trump getting away with stealing classified documents?

it turns out that trump might not have actually brought those classified documents to mar a lago at all half of those boxes were sent by the general security administration under biden and the vast majority of the stuff in those boxes wasnt classified documents and basically every time anyone has conducted an audit of what was in which box everything is in a completely different location

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Liberals' lawfare against Trump is falling apart faster than the Bluesmobile.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tsitsikovas posted:

The Stranger is one of the dumbest books, and that was at my personal peak of college grad existentialism rules phase. Some spoiled, bored as hell white guy kills an arab just to feel something? Ponders hard about it?

hosed up book, frankly. gently caress albert camel.
The adaptation was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0WjDiaxUX0

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Some Guy TT posted:

it goes back even farther than the spanish were trying to bullshit free trade as a moral imperative justifying the conquest of the new world all the way back in the sixteenth century

the other two planks of their argument were the freedom to proselytize and the freedom to conduct diplomatic relations all of this hinged incidentally on people just ignoring that the conquistadors werent even pretending like they wanted to do any of these things

The conquistadors went out of their way not to. The Golden Age of Piracy, when you look beyond the mythologized derring do, was often English, Dutch and French merchant ships “smuggling” goods between Spanish colonies that were supposed to only trade with Spain, and not each other, paying exorbitant costs to the merchants holding monopoly charters for commodities that were produced cheaply and locally, one island over.

Similarly, because legal rights were afforded to Christians, most obviously not being enslaved, landowners worked tirelessly to not convert the indigenous labourers assigned to their feudal estates. Land owners assumed Christian feudal obligations, like paying for meals and celebrations during holidays and festivals, giving their vassals dozens of feast days off. Because the feudal law in New Spain made these same landowners responsible for building churches and chapels on their land… they could just… not do that and legally enslave pagan Indians which they owed almost no obligations to.

This is one reason why, contrary to expectations, Christianity spreads first in outlying, rather than centralized areas, like the backwater of Guatemala, or Tlaxcala, which had hardly any Spaniards at all. The reason being that these less desirable or more remote areas were granted as feudal lands to Indigenous allies, or belonged to strong indigenous polities. They had an incentive to Christianize rapidly, the nobility because it was the basis of their position, legally and socially, in New Spain, and the peasantry because their nobles weren’t opposed to it and it provided them protection against the Spaniards.

Also the indigenous nobility loved throwing giant parades, religious processions, carnivals, showing off their Christianity, wealth, status, social and political power. This kind of public generosity and spectacle also fit into traditional Indigenous forms of leadership. This should be good, right? They’re very proud Catholics and the perfect model of chivalric Spanish nobility?

The idea of Maya and Aztec’s being better imitators of El Cid and Charlemagne than the very ignoble, very unchristian Spaniards wasn’t exactly seen this way. Instead, it made the Spaniards extremely mad, so that in the later 1600’s and early 1700’s they spent a great deal of energy trying to ban most kinds of Christian public holiday.

Diplomatic relations, I think speaks for itself. Nobody in any of the colonies was supposed to trade anything with the English, French or Dutch.

Anyway I’m sure we learned a valuable lesson about the ruling class being allowed to write their own regulations.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 16:04 on May 10, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's amazing that the Spanish Empire had basically infinite money and managed to invest as little of it as they possibly could in, you know, Spain.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PoundSand posted:

Haven't there been literal studies that show voters and their preferences have little to no impact on policy development. How does someone like this square that circle? Even if Biden wasn't a total piece of poo poo and I was merely indifferent to him rather than actively disdainful what's really my motivation to vote for him, it doesn't do anything.

Yes, and not only is that true, but also your individual vote in a Presidential election is literally worthless.

The closest election we ever had was 2000 and that was still hundreds/thousands of votes, and that ended up being decided by the courts anyway. And even if we had the magical Presidential election where it literally came down to a one vote difference, the courts would decide that one as well.

This simple truth bounces off the brains of the majority of voters, who all seem to act like their vote is deciding the entire election.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing that the Spanish Empire had basically infinite money and managed to invest as little of it as they possibly could in, you know, Spain.

keeping the drat french down is much more important than investing in your own society duh

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Halloween Jack posted:

There’s a book about that which, if I remember the argument correctly, says that having a silver printer that was tightly politically controlled by a debauched ruling class who only spent it on themselves, and on massive foreign wars, actually caused the Spanish state to shrink and un-develop (?), which again, maybe there’s a cautionary tale here.

The State injected huge amounts of silver into the ruling class, but taxed hardly any of it, didn’t try to take it out of circulation, didn’t try to build administration or political power that could challenge the nobility, because they could just keep minting silver to keep them happy, and pay nobles acting as contractors to do approximately what they were asked to do, rather than having a civil service.

You immediately have the Pizzaros murdering governors, inquisitors, even harbour masters. For a time, pretty much anyone sent from Spain to exert any control or even monitor where this money was going was liable to be killed or arrested. In Spain, things were about the same as these penny ante families from Extramadeura, the most parched and broke (and violent) part of Spain had more money than god and could resist any effort from Madrid to govern them. A bit like oil being found in Texas, I suppose.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 16:15 on May 10, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Business Gorillas posted:

I need to VOTE for the guy who couldn't get his poo poo together to be on the ballot in my state

To be fair, I don't think there's much precedent for ballot access rules actually being applied to either of the two big parties before, enforcement is usually reserved for third party candidates who have any uppity notions of "doing something" or trying to improve people's lives somewhat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

There’s a book about that which, if I remember the argument correctly, says that having a silver printer that was tightly politically controlled by a debauched ruling class who only spent it on themselves, and on massive foreign wars, actually caused the Spanish state to shrink and un-develop (?), which again, maybe there’s a cautionary tale here.

The State injected huge amounts of silver into the ruling class, but taxed hardly any of it, didn’t try to take it out of circulation, didn’t try to build administration or political power that could challenge the nobility, because they could just keep minting silver to keep them happy, and pay nobles acting as contractors to do approximately what they were asked to do, rather than having a civil service.
I haven't read it but that makes a lot of sense to me. Injecting cash into the economy should spur economic development, but if it's all held by elites who can afford to import luxury goods at ruinous prices, then they can just protect and enhance feudal privilege and actually staunch the domestic economic development that other monarchies would have presided over even if by accident. It turns out that inbred spoiled brats doing whatever they want isn't a good form of government.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lets liquidate Microsoft. That'd be good for the shareholders, right?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

it’s been eons so I’m probably misremembering, but Adam smith’s wealth of nations I think had a bit about how the Spanish elite hoarded all the money and almost none of it made it downward leading to both inflation and very little development. Every ounce of precious metal that went to Spain made the economy worse.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1788924453499306383?t=c0kH6YcQT795fMqG0FtB_g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Best Friends posted:

it’s been eons so I’m probably misremembering, but Adam smith’s wealth of nations I think had a bit about how the Spanish elite hoarded all the money and almost none of it made it downward leading to both inflation and very little development. Every ounce of precious metal that went to Spain made the economy worse.

huh. good thing we've learned so much since then