Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
No, it's the children who are conceptually destitute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

insane clown pussy posted:

i see we're at the end stage hillary 08 primary bit where she's openly musing about obama getting assassinated as her remaining hope

it's a good bit

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

agreed, anyone who tries to act as Monopoly demands should go to jail

:hmmyes:

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Man it's too early for them to be this desperate, we still have 6 months till November

If/when the polls haven't meaningfully shifted since summer what are they gonna do

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

drat Cuba is loving cool

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

loquacius posted:

I think if Donald Trump died Biden would lose even harder tbh

This is the 2016 run back where both parties are running absurdly unpopular candidates, so yes.

In fact Biden's only real hope in November is Trump blowing what should be a lay up given how unpopular Biden is.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

Lmao accidentally stumbling on the correct position. I love when liberals do this.

The true sign of conceptual rigor is when you close off the comments to all criticism.

Strange how liberalism depends so heavily on the ability to do this...

Probably nothing...

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Myth of Sisyphus was good

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

It's a pretty good view into the mindset of the idle rich even to this day, where they do openly harmful and monsterous poo poo just to feel anything

Yeah, that was my take on it too. Very "American Psycho" before its time

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

In 4 years, in an administration that was mostly unprepared, unfocused, and incompetent, Donald Trump killed abortion rights for a generation and got a million people killed. If literally anyone thinks his next turn in the chair, after he's had 4 years to seethe and prepare, will not be worse, they're loving delusional.

Democracy in this country is over if that guy gets elected. Like, done. Voting rights are done. Abortion rights are done. LGBTQ+ rights are done. Minority rights are done. And he won't leave until he dies. So yeah. If you want that over the guy who's on the verge of possibly getting an Israeli/Palestinian ceasefire on the books, sure. Do it. But don't loving complain when you inevitably find yourselves in the line of fire.

"On the books" lol

What a revealing phrase. "The books" are the only things these people care about.

Edit: Y'xll need to post more wtf

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

VoicesCanBe posted:

If/when the polls haven't meaningfully shifted since summer what are they gonna do

Provide us with amazing content.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

In 4 years, in an administration that was mostly unprepared, unfocused, and incompetent, Donald Trump killed abortion rights for a generation and got a million people killed. If literally anyone thinks his next turn in the chair, after he's had 4 years to seethe and prepare, will not be worse, they're loving delusional.

Democracy in this country is over if that guy gets elected. Like, done. Voting rights are done. Abortion rights are done. LGBTQ+ rights are done. Minority rights are done. And he won't leave until he dies. So yeah. If you want that over the guy who's on the verge of possibly getting an Israeli/Palestinian ceasefire on the books, sure. Do it. But don't loving complain when you inevitably find yourselves in the line of fire.

sounds bad maybe biden and the demonrat party should stop alienating everyone they need to prevent such a thing from happening

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nichael posted:

the national identity will be completely unmoored if he dies, as he's maintained total control of politics for nine years straight

Lol I hadn't thought about this. What does anybody in the bourgeois press do after trump bites it. They retooled billions and billions of media infrastructure around the guy .

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The guy who's on the verge of possibly doing something he just did a whole big speech about not wanting to do

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

lol at the president getting ratiod

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Democracy is when you have to vote for one guy you don't like and who doesn't represent your views and also won't even do anything to try and win you over or else the devil wins and its over forever

Its good to have the freedom to choose

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

In Training posted:

Lol I hadn't thought about this. What does anybody in the bourgeois press do after trump bites it. They retooled billions and billions of media infrastructure around the guy .
they will fabricate countless trumps out of any and every possible target they care to put their crosshairs to. on the grave of one donald trump, ten-thousand new trumps shall bloom

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

In Training posted:

That's probably when tv news finally kicks the bucket.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

PhilippAchtel posted:

Myth of Sisyphus was good

no

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Years and years of made for tv movies and documentaries about the life of donald trump, endlessly, forever

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So whats this thing about Trump getting away with stealing classified documents?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nix Panicus posted:

So whats this thing about Trump getting away with stealing classified documents?

when you're the president they let you do it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

when you're the president they let you do it

They let Biden do it so this tracks

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

The judge just delayed the trial while working through the backlog of issues related to the case lol

and libs are so mad that prosecutors can’t fire judges who issue rulings they don’t like

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

This is the 2016 run back where both parties are running absurdly unpopular candidates, so yes.

In fact Biden's only real hope in November is Trump blowing what should be a lay up given how unpopular Biden is.

Democracy is fake so I think Joe wins and because the worst Libs will be so loving smug about it

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
we could get vince mcmahon to run for president

please

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

lol msdnc calling for a purge of the judiciary because trump's bathroom state secrets trial got shut down

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

i am the law

judge dredd rachel maddow

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lol msdnc calling for a purge of the judiciary because trump's bathroom state secrets trial got shut down

they had their chance

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If you have to become fascists in order to fight someone you call an orange fascist clown, you've completely lost the narrative.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I wish Trump would pick Vince for VP. Solid comedic potential

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

Years and years of made for tv movies and documentaries about the life of donald trump, endlessly, forever

I finally got a text that wasn't from the dumbocrats so I guess now Bernie's also selling his list to the chuds.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

im saint germain posted:

I wish Trump would pick Vince for VP. Solid comedic potential

I still want gabbard for maximum outrage among succers.

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

LuxuryLarva posted:

One party makes me want to kill myself. One party will kill me.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Yes. He wrote an, admittedly very good, book about the economy of the Third Reich.

However, since he became a middlebrow darling he pivoted away from his academic training on 20th century Germany and wrote for the NPR crowd, penning Crashed: How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World, and Shutdown: How Covid Shook the World's Economy which are... not as committed... to thoroughly detailing the connections between the economic outcomes and underlying ideology, or even intent.

Chartbook 270: How Russia makes missiles - an important report from Rhodus Intelligence
7–8 minutes

The war in Ukraine has become a battle of material and in a jarring inversion of the familiar balance the “Western side” does not have the upper hand.

Even if funds are available, both the Europeans and American producers lack the capacity to manufacture the munitions Ukraine desperately needs.

According to one recent estimate in the FT, there is a stark disparity between the ammunition production of Russia and the West.

Russia’s annual artillery munition production has risen from 800,000 prewar to an estimated 2.5mn, or 4mn including refurbished shells. EU and US production capacity stands at about 700,000 and 400,000 respectively, although the EU aims to hit 1.4mn by the end of this year and the US 1.2mn by 2024.

According to estimates by experts Michael Kofman and Ryan Evans, Russia’s battlefield firepower advantage may amount to 5:1.

The inadequacy of Europe and American supply chains is all too obvious. But we must also ask how Russia is able to sustain its much higher levels of output.

A new report by Rhodus Intelligence, the research outfit set up by Kamil Galeev, addresses this question for the production of missiles.

Missiles are a core component of modern Whereas artillery ammunition is counted by the millions of rounds, the number of missiles fired at Ukraine is counted in the thousands. According to Ukrainian sources, in the first two years of the war Russia used more than 8,000 missiles and 4,630 drones. The missiles are sophisticated ordinance with powerful rocket engines and guidance systems.

Often their production is treated as principally dependent on electronic components. A tear down of both Russian and North Korean sourced missiles confirms that a large number of these electronic components are still finding their way to Russia from the West.

But, as the Rhodus team point out, the most tricky part of modern missile production is not so much the electronics as the metalworking and, in particular, the machining.

Beginning in the 1930s the Soviet Union built a gigantic machine tool industry and the workforce to go with it. Soviet designs were never noted for their sophistication. But by the late 1980s the Soviet Union was the largest producer of computer-controlled CNC machines, worldwide. In the 1990s the collapse of the Soviet Union destroyed this industry and dispersed its workforce.

As the Rhodus group show, from the early 2000s Putin’s regime set about replacing domestic production with imports.

The trade statistics give a general idea of this import drive. But what makes the Rhodus report unique is that it goes beyond aggregate data to track the equipment installed in 28 ballistic, cruise, anti-ship and air defense missiles producers. To do so they deploy imaginative open source intelligence techniques.

For instance, they track the machines shown inadvertently in the background of TV coverage, such as this image from the Titan-Barrikady works in Volgograd - a legendary battlefield during the siege of Stalingrad in 1942.

In addition, Rhodus have trawled through job adverts to find the types of tools, which Russian CNC operators are expected to be able to use.

To savor the rich detail in this extraordinary report, I highly recommend downloading it from the Rhodus website. For anyone interested in the realities of modern production, it is a feast of intelligence analysis. We would be well-served if we understood more production processes at this level of granularity.

As far as Russia is concerned, the conclusions are sobering.

To escape the constraints imposed by its depleted and unskilled workforce, from the 2000s Russia opted to import the most advanced, computer-controlled machines. These could not be purchased from China. Instead, Russia relied heavily on leading Western producers notably in Europe and in particular Siemens of Germany, which specializes in fully integrated manufacturing systems.

This creates a heavy dependence on the West. But machine tools are capital equipment. The machine tool stock at Russia’s disposal is large and well-chosen. In the core area of machining, its tools are particularly modern. Pressing and forging equipment is on the whole older, in many cases upgraded cold war technology. But these are areas where technological advance has been least rapid. The most sophisticated machinery at Russia’s disposal is deployed in the areas of precision casting and foundry work.

Meanwhile, the flow of new machines continues. Police authorities in Europe are now in the business of hunting down rogue German executives selling high-precision tools to Russia. Deliveries of highly sophisticated Swedish and German machinery continue via intermediaries in Turkey. And, most importantly, Russia is surging its import of CNC machinery from China and Taiwan. All told, Russia’s imports of CNC machine tools by the summer of 2023 were more than twice their prewar level. Even allowing for price increases, this is a substantial increase. If sanctions are to have any chance of working, this number needs to fall below pre-war levels.

Source: FT

In China Russia finds plenty of willing collaborators.

A Financial Times analysis of export records shows some major winners from the Russian surge have strong links with China’s People’s Liberation Army. Wuhan Huazhong Numerical Control, for example, has increased exports to Russia. In 2017, it was the main contractor in a “Brain Switch Project” — a scheme to replace foreign CNC systems with domestic ones in the defence industry — and has worked with Chinese jet fighter maker Shenyang Aircraft Corporation. HuazhongCNC was itself the subject of US sanctions between 2008 and 2010 under an act banning the transfer of weapons technology or equipment to Syria, Iran and North Korea. The company did not respond to a request for comment.

As the Rhodus report rightly insists, CNC-machine does not equal CNC-machine. The Chinese machines are lower quality than their European counterparts. Furthermore, it will take time to integrate them into existing production processes. But where there is a will, there is a way. And the remarkable findings of the Rhodus report certainly suggests that it would be ill-advised to expect any rapid end to Russia’s military production surge.

Thank you for reading Chartbook Newsletter. It is rewarding to write. I love sending it out for free to readers around the world. But it takes a lot of work. What sustains the effort are voluntary subscriptions from paying supporters. If you are enjoying the newsletter and would like to join the group of supporters click below. As a token of appreciation you will receive the full Top Links emails several times per week.

Adam Tooze

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
gently caress, i've been toozed

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

The short, real, version is this is a complicated prosecution and Jack Smith was really trying to force the trial through impossibly fast but also has such a lovely case and lack of precedent that the Judge, correctly, wants more time to consider all of the motions that are piling up. For example the immunity case with the supreme court could invalidate this one, this is a civil offense that has never been charged federally and federal agencies have very publicly admitted they will not charge other people who are definitely guilty.

Properly considering the implications of things like that takes time. Jack Smith's response has been to shriek about how biased and terrible the judge is because she isn't letting him have his way.

The people that are weirdly upset about it are the ones that were relying on this to stop Trump. This is one of the "Big Ones" like the DC/GA cases so losing it is a pretty big blow if you are obsessed with politics to that degree.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 03:34 on May 8, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

I finally got a text that wasn't from the dumbocrats so I guess now Bernie's also selling his list to the chuds.

Trump has been texting someone named David at my number (my name is not David) and no amount of saying "stop" will make him stop