Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In fairness the fact that Kitty is no longer ~15 is somewhat worth noting. Yeah it was decades ago but still, she is one of those characters who's been allowed to grow up, despite status quo being god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I don't really care about Kitty vs Kate. It's a name.

Yeah, like someone said earlier in the thread, it's real hard to shake a nickname, at least with friends. With new people you can introduce yourself as something else but unfortunately Kate/Kitty's been hanging out with the same gang of folks since the 80s.

All this name talk though makes me wonder why she doesn't go by Shadowcat (or Shadowkat with a k now after the Gala made her go angry ninja mode!) more. I remember seeing that in a little book I had about the X-Men as a kid before I even read comics and thought that was an awesome fuckin codename then when I started reading comics I found out she's just like Jean Grey and basically never uses a superhero name. Boo to that, I say.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was never explained, no. once fall of x started no one was terribly concerned about how the gates worked any more.

I always took it as just unexpected interaction with her mutant power. I'm not sure a detailed explanation would actually add much.

Back to the name, it's a false premise that Marvel was trying to get the fans to call her Kate. She asked people to call her Kate as part of her growth in the story at the time. That it. It's not like Marvel would correct me if I used Kitty and Kate interchangeably while posting online, as I often did and still do.

Diet Poison posted:

God, that was dumb as hell. He should have tried rebranding himself as Revelation. Basically the same thing, sliiightly less murdery sounding. Not that that would have stuck, either.

But then what will he do with all those monogram belts?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

I always took it as just unexpected interaction with her mutant power. I'm not sure a detailed explanation would actually add much.

Back to the name, it's a false premise that Marvel was trying to get the fans to call her Kate. She asked people to call her Kate as part of her growth in the story at the time. That it. It's not like Marvel would correct me if I used Kitty and Kate interchangeably while posting online, as I often did and still do.

But then what will he do with all those monogram belts?

Not that hard to shape an A into an R. I've done it with greenstuff on models, :A: surely has better options!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I kinda like that there was never a hard explanation for Kitty and the gates. It’s just fun X-Men nonsense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

All this name talk though makes me wonder why she doesn't go by Shadowcat (or Shadowkat with a k now after the Gala made her go angry ninja mode!) more. I remember seeing that in a little book I had about the X-Men as a kid before I even read comics and thought that was an awesome fuckin codename then when I started reading comics I found out she's just like Jean Grey and basically never uses a superhero name. Boo to that, I say.

Jean Grey makes a little bit more sense but Shadowcat's a fine code name.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Not that hard to shape an A into an R.
Look we've been over this and it's better to just not use either word

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:hmmyes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

no that post is about Apocalypse, not Kitty

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Mutrnt

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alaois posted:

no that post is about Apocalypse, not Kitty

Speaking of Apocalypse, did he ever interact with Evan/Kid A during the Krakoa era?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Speaking of Apocalypse, did he ever interact with Evan/Kid A during the Krakoa era?

Evan/Kid A was conspicuously absent for the entirety of the Krakoa era, despite being featured on one of the slides of characters to be used during the initial presentation they announced the Krakoa era with at one of the comic cons

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Initially it seemed like they wouldn't resurrect him due to the "no duplicates" policy, but he didn't show up even after they undid that. I don't think the writers knew what to do with him after Genisis took his nickname and OG Apocalypse did a face turn.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They could have made them fight and merge and then recreate "now I remember all that time we spent together" like they did with Cyle and Ms Marvel but with Deadpool Fantomex and A.

Mostly because it would be really funny if A suddenly had memories of being raised by Deadpool Fantomex

Eta: I knew that

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 10, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought he was raised by Fantomax?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it would have been a good time for her to start going by kate when she became headmaster, when she became a pirate maybe less so

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Kates the default in my head now because Krakoa got me back into X-Men. Going back is DUMB but so is a lot of stuff in comics

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Parallax posted:

it would have been a good time for her to start going by kate when she became headmaster, when she became a pirate maybe less so

Captain Kate works much better than Captain Kitty.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Captain Kate works much better than Captain Kitty.
It's Captain Pryde, first name is irrelevant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Duggan is only bad when held up against the triumvirate of Gillen, Ewing, and Hickman.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I think he's pretty mediocre to bad independent of that. Planet-Size was good and his X-Men run was okay, but I didn't care very much for Marauders or Cable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Duggan is only bad when held up against the triumvirate of Gillen, Ewing, and Hickman.

Duggan is only decent when held up against the triumvirate of Steve Orlando, Steve Foxx, and Benjamin Percy, who are even worse writers.

His Marauders were a fluke in comparison with the work he put out since like X-Men Green (Nature Girl murdering some store clerk because of a plastic bag. Quality writing right there), the entirety of his main X-Men title run (setting up a million plots, then not finishing any properly), and everything during Fall (complete rushed nonsense).

And even his Marauders jumped the shark when the final issues reinvented some minor comedy relief villain from the Aaron's W&XM days as a child sex abuse victim (WHY??)

Edit: his Iron Man is mostly alright. It helps that title doesn't have too many plates spinning, but even then the whole wedding setup for Tony and Emma felt incredible contrived.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 11, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I recall correctly, Nature Girl went crazy cause she was Cursed by Curse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I recall correctly, Nature Girl went crazy cause she was Cursed by Curse.

No, that happened later. She hadn't met Curse when she first stabbed some store clerk to the death with a scissor because she was grieving a dead turtle and no one in Krakoa cared to help fix the plastic pollution issue even though they later went on to terraform Mars. And then she met Curse and went even more into the deep end. Quality writing. Gerry Duggan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saoshyant posted:

No, that happened later. She hadn't met Curse when she first stabbed some store clerk to the death with a scissor because she was grieving a dead turtle and no one in Krakoa cared to help fix the plastic pollution issue even though they later went on to terraform Mars. And then she met Curse and went even more into the deep end. Quality writing. Gerry Duggan.

No, it’s later revealed that Curse was watching the dying turtle thing, and cursed Nature Girl.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Duggan had one of the best Deadpool runs of all time I don't think anything good he writes is "a fluke"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe fluke is too harsh, I didn't read his Deadpool, but his other recent stuff, the lows have been a lot lower than the highs.

I could also see how his style is a better fit for Deadpool than X-Men.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Duggan has had a perfectly solid run on X-Men books which followed a great run on Savage Avengers and is easily in the top 3 Deadpool writers.

He's gotten the short end of the stick in this accelerated conclusion to the Krakoa era, but let's not pretend he was always this frustrating to read.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Blockhouse posted:

Duggan had one of the best Deadpool runs of all time I don't think anything good he writes is "a fluke"

His Deadpool run is loving amazing, I never expected that anyone could make me actually care about Wade Wilson but Duggan did it and did so in a way that used all of the earlier runs instead of ignoring them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know how much I would pin the last nine or ten issues of X-Men on Duggan given how weird the entire Fall of X stuff has been. Ewing and Gillen escaped the worst of it by getting shunted off to different planets / universes, and if I'm being honest even Gillen's recent issues haven't been up to his usual (incredibly high) standard, certain standout moments aside. He's probably partially to blame as one of the architects of the line, but the fluke is what he's writing right now, not his other stuff.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, Duggan's hit to miss rate is way more "hit" than "miss" in my book. The recent X-Men stuff has been really uneven, and his Guardians of the Galaxy/Infinity Wars run was definitely retooled/revised during the EiC changeover which probably contributed to it being somewhat uneven. The Deadpool run is his One Big Thing, and sometimes people coast on just one big thing, but as mentioned upthread, his Savage Avengers was a ton of fun, Marauders and the Kid Cable series he wrote were solid, and he had a run doing some very fun one-shots/minis (Punisher Kill Krew, a couple FF one-shots with good artists, and a Wolverine: Infinity Watch mini that was a Wolverine/Loki/Wolverine time travel story that explained why the set-up for Infinity Wars and the actual Infinity Wars did not match up at all). His Iron Man reads a lot better than X-Men too, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought Duggan's X-Men run was pretty hunky dory until events started rearing their heads, and not everyone can navigate that poo poo as gracefully as Ewing or Gillen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Duggan feels like a writer best left alone to do his thing, which is honestly most writers.

While it's probably not as bad as it was at DC, editorial mandate is still a Thing. For example it's hard to think it was his decision to have Talon go to Laura "I want nothing to do with you ever" (even if it didn't wind up mattering).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

I don't know how much I would pin the last nine or ten issues of X-Men on Duggan given how weird the entire Fall of X stuff has been. Ewing and Gillen escaped the worst of it by getting shunted off to different planets / universes, and if I'm being honest even Gillen's recent issues haven't been up to his usual (incredibly high) standard, certain standout moments aside. He's probably partially to blame as one of the architects of the line, but the fluke is what he's writing right now, not his other stuff.

Yeah right now the X-Men (and their books) are split between like multiple groups (and enemies) chasing multiple goals and some 5D chess poo poo, I don't think I could fault any one writer for things maybe reading a little weird.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Savage Avengers on its own is a loving all-timer of a book. What an incredible run. Agreed on the hits far outnumbering the misses.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Real good week to be a cosmic space chicken that is also its own mother, not so great a week to be the cosmic space chicken's child that is also...also the chicken? I guess? I don't know where I was going with this and I'm honestly not super sure Gillen did either, but I quite enjoyed it either way. Definitely not the direction I thought this would go.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Real good week to be a cosmic space chicken that is also its own mother, not so great a week to be the cosmic space chicken's child that is also...also the chicken? I guess? I don't know where I was going with this and I'm honestly not super sure Gillen did either, but I quite enjoyed it either way. Definitely not the direction I thought this would go.

If you'd have told me pre Krakoa (hell, even during) that one of my favorite mutants would be a jobber boss I only knew from a Sega genesis game named Exodus I'd have laughed at you. But goddamn do I love his shtick.

Doubly so since the man is basically right. Immaculate birth into immortal fire God.

Also love the moments with sinister and everything to do with destiny. Gillen is consistently solid.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like I would bet a meager sum of money on Krakoa coming back eventually but having a very strict "No X-Men poo poo allowed" policy after what happened in Forever this week

Whether they come back as a "normal" mutant nation or antagonistic one towards the rest of the world would be the real question

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hell yea exodus

show off those abs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

double lesbian mom feature this week