Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont understand the lust for extraction shooters by execs, and i say this as someone who has played enough Tarkov to kill most people. its just not a game type that can be scaled to a mass audience because core parts of what makes it an extraction shooter makes it alienating to a lot of people

like is the average person gonna want to spend their few hours of leisure time a day crouching in a loving bush for 30 minutes only to be sniped at the very last possible second and lose everything they worked for the past five evenings? no lol. it's depressing and annoying even if you're mandatorially stuck indoors all day because of loving covid and all you've wasted is a few hours of an identical stream of boring days. you don't wanna spend your leisure time being a loser, and by their nature most extraction shooters most people in each round will end up being losers.

theyre specifically popular on twitch because they create extreme highs and lows, like battle royales before them, which makes for good viewing but not such a good play experience. studio heads or execs or whatever are doing the equivalent of going to watch an underground game of russian roulette and going 'gee this sure draws a crowd, i bet everyone is gonna want to play russian roulette in their garage tonight!'. mcdonalds did not roll out the mcpigasshole after fear factor got big on TV. some stuff is as fun to play as it is to watch, some stuff moreso, other things drastically less

im sure pig rear end in a top hat sales went up by a significant % after fear factor came out, just because of frat bros getting ideas probably, but that significant % was of a very small market. not everything is scalable. theres no world where extraction shooters are a mainstay of the populations gaming diet, unless its some kind of cruel futuristic junta where it determines your place in the evil hierarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its just not a game type that can be scaled to a mass audience because core parts of what makes it an extraction shooter makes it alienating to a lot of people
CoD DMZ was pretty cool, but then they discontinued it sooooo...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Division has (had?) the Dark Zone, which I think people were into

There's probably a way to make an extraction shooter that's fun to play even if the hardcore streamers will poo poo on it. In fact that's what I'm banking on for Marathon since supposedly hardcore streamers got to play an alpha version already and did poo poo on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Marathon:

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1788955765710983655

(This is the same Aleph One-based Marathon that has been free for years, just now available through Steam)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nice!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

(This is the same Aleph One-based Marathon that has been free for years, just now available through Steam)
Looks like there's achievements, which is a nice little addition for those that care.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Kins posted:

Looks like there's achievements, which is a nice little addition for those that care.

There’s one for completing Colony Ship For Sale Cheap without grenading yourself. Lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol at the selaco keys joke on avp civvie

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only version of Marathon I play is M1A1 because it makes the platforms in CSFS automatically raise to the proper point automatically. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was gonna ask what an extraction shooter was, but hey, I'm on the internet, so I looked it up and I still don't know, which means I likely haven't played any of them. And jfc, they sound like absolutely no fun at all to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if there was a version of cod dmz that was pve only i would keep buying those $70 games

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

if there was a version of cod dmz that was pve only i would keep buying those $70 games

How about a $250 version? https://www.polygon.com/24140541/escape-from-tarkov-the-unheard-edition-250

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was gonna ask what an extraction shooter was, but hey, I'm on the internet, so I looked it up and I still don't know, which means I likely haven't played any of them. And jfc, they sound like absolutely no fun at all to me.

"So you remember Red Orchestra, right? Well imagine that, but every time you die someone snaps a folding chair over your back - wait let me finish - emotionally!"

-a madman born of a jackal

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

haveblue posted:

The Division has (had?) the Dark Zone, which I think people were into

There's probably a way to make an extraction shooter that's fun to play even if the hardcore streamers will poo poo on it. In fact that's what I'm banking on for Marathon since supposedly hardcore streamers got to play an alpha version already and did poo poo on it

It worked in the first game because the areas were large enough with lots of ways to navigate around and avoid gankers. I spent hundreds of hours just doing the PVE in it. The dark zone in the sequel went through quite a few reworks mechanically but what's remained the same throughout were the much smaller zones that pushed everyone towards PVP.

Anyway Ubisoft has been trying to do a standalone version that apes a lot more of Tarkov and it's been development hell for several years :laffo:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only version of Marathon I play is M1A1
At a thousand miles an hour

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DoombatINC posted:

"So you remember Red Orchestra, right? Well imagine that, but every time you die someone snaps a folding chair over your back - wait let me finish - emotionally!"

-a madman born of a jackal

I don't know what any of this means.

Anyway, I love Selaco.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6G81Iy4cVA

It might be way too late to ask since I first played Aleph One like 20 years ago, but... Why does actual Marathon 1 look so much smoother than Aleph One? :catstare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K23Y0fOCRGQ

You know what, I'm just gonna say it: I think these various "just add raytracing" things look bad when you're done marveling at how technically impressive the new lighting is. They just completely ruin the tone of a lot of these old games and remind me of those dumb "4KHD 3D Models Texture Filtering" Doom mods. Now I'm obviously not saying raytracing is an overall negative, I think it can look good in newer games custom designed around it, but this ain't it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

You know what, I'm just gonna say it: I think these various "just add raytracing" things look bad when you're done marveling at how technically impressive the new lighting is. They just completely ruin the tone of a lot of these old games and remind me of those dumb "4KHD 3D Models Texture Filtering" Doom mods. Now I'm obviously not saying raytracing is an overall negative, I think it can look good in newer games custom designed around it, but this ain't it.

:same: The most generous thing I can say about these vids is they're decent tech demos, not examples of how an entire game should look. Once the tech/hardware is mature enough it's gonna be pretty great to see a game designed to use it more realistically.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mordja posted:

It can work, but it requires an asset and lighting overhaul to bring the visual presentation more in line with the intent of the original game, as you said you can't "just add raytracing". The Quake and Quake 2 remasters are examples of it done right, they're not RT but they did get completely relit with added dynamic lightmaps and volumetrics. Regardless, they still look faithful.

There's parts of that video that look alright, the grab they did for the thumbnail looks like poo poo though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Chronicles of Riddick original version vs. remaster lookin' rear end

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Mordja posted:

I think most of it comes down to the fact that they've just thrown PBR lighting in there, but haven't actually tweaked any of the maps to suit. No normals and a lack of glossmaps (But still having highlights) just makes everything look like linoleum.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

Chronicles of Riddick original version vs. remaster lookin' rear end

I don't completely hate the way the remaster looks, it's very wet but that kinda works, they just cranked all the dials for the specular, contrast and bloom too high. If they were to do a remaster (of the remaster) reaching a compromise between the two would be nice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I really liked how the riddick remaster looked 😖

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://x.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1788996516092252393

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

big wet remaster

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity now have Steam pages.

One neat thing from the replies to that thread: Eat The Path, a plugin that attempts to recreate the Quake 2 Remaster's compass functionality. A little wonky, but very welcome.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

Some good context in the comments.

anchorlightforge posted:

Hey all, this video really needs some context. I'm not really sure why it's being advertised so early because-- as the video demonstrates-- Echelon is sure impressive but not really showcase-ready yet.

RTX Remix tries to be as universally compatible as possible, but not all games are alike. Unreal Engine 1 (which Deus Ex uses) was especially poor, a headache inducing mess where Remix couldn't read anything correctly. A modder has spent a good long while working on a new renderer for Unreal 1 games (UT99 and Deus Ex, mainly) that makes Remix actually _stable_. This means no flickering, interpreting lights correctly, and giving every wall, floor, object, and static mesh a single hash. In the video, these display as the default assets but with a shiny coat-- this is because they're just diffuse textures with no normals, PBR maps, or POM displacement. But the mod makes DX1 actually compatible with the renderer, so now work can begin on replacing each asset with a high-quality PBR equivalent so it looks as good as it deserves. The light placements are from the vanilla game, and weren't made for realism-- these will also be replaced quickly by more physically accurate lights that make sense for the environments.

In other words, don't judge the Echelon renderer by the video above-- its purpose isn't to make a pretty scene, it's to allow artists to actually begin work on a game that was previously impossible to get working with Remix. An actual Deus Ex RTX overhaul was physically impossible before this renderer existed, and now give or take some time you'll see artists put together an impressive new look for the game that can retain the original gameplay and atmosphere.

I love seeing raytracing stuff but I also don't get why they're advertising this lol. It shows that it now works in UE1, but this is like the equivalent of hitting an on switch with RT lighting. Nothing else was changed, this isn't an impressive showcase at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah we know it looks like poo poo when you don’t put the work in to remaster every mesh and texture lmao

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
ray tracing is resource consuming garbage that leads to more soulless art, as the lighting is taken out of the hands of artists and put into the hands of engineers

give me baked in lighting any day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Baked lighting is also raytraced, just not fast enough for real-time interaction

And it's not really fair to say engineering vs art is a tradeoff. Engineers make tools and artists use them, they're different skill sets. Making the tools more powerful and intuitive and more likely to deliver what's wanted on the first try doesn't mean what the artists do with them is now less important. And it certainly doesn't mean the engineers can now do what the artists do by themselves

If the game looks like rear end it's the fault of whoever decided to cut back on artists

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Automata 10 Pack posted:

ray tracing is resource consuming garbage that leads to more soulless art, as the lighting is taken out of the hands of artists and put into the hands of engineers

This is an insanely dumb take unless you consider lighting directors on films soulless engineers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't even figure out that take, is the assumption here that the engine programmers would be the ones placing lights in the levels instead of the level designers?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's also the other way around, real time ray tracing provides more artistic control by removing all the limitations that baked lighting has, like needing to strategically avoid baked shadows on moving geometry. It requires less technical or engineering knowledge of game engines, not more.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 11, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

having spent hours just driving around night city, it's a deranged take

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't necessarily mind seeing raytracing applied to older games, but I find it tend to fall into three camps where either it looks garish and bad, pretty good, or most damningly looks pretty much just like it did originally.

I keep looking but never find it, but I feel like Left 4 Dead could look good raytraced, especially if you can get fires to cast lights.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The artist hand is still there, choosing the number, type and location of the lightning elements...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Volte posted:

This is an insanely dumb take unless you consider lighting directors on films soulless engineers

Soul

Soulless

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I like the look of RT64, the shadows are low res enough that it doesn't seem out of place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWwUuWRgsM&t=518s

I also remember seeing a tweet awhile ago by someone making a lighting system with Quake, but it was made to look just like the baked lighting except it would update in real time when brushes moved. Can't find it anymore though, it's lost in a sea of Q2 RTX posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Good to see the Doom 3 designers getting so much work in the modern television industry.