Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

reignonyourparade posted:

"Child should be able to draw it" rule is massively misunderstood. US flag still counts even though the drawing will almost certainly have the wrong number of stars and has a good chance of the wrong number of stripes, for example.

Yeah the point isn't that a child needs to get it perfect, it's that a child should be able to get close enough that it won't be mistaken for anything else. His Albanian eagle, for example, will probably look more like Jackson Pollock Batman, but as long as it's a black thing with wings on a red field it's done its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

Thank you for offering this profoundly constructive and insightful dialogue. Its sheer depth and insightfulness have permanently altered our understanding of flags and the intricate details therein.

Now that you're done, shouldn't you return to GBS? Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Regdate/post combo :discourse:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

"Child should be able to draw it" rule is massively misunderstood.

Where a unicycle becomes a bicycle, that's too complicated.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Even if some, or perhaps all, of the things the North American Vexillological Association say are reasonable, they can absolutely go gently caress themselves for pretending to be an authority on flag design. Who died and made them flag kings? I can hate state seals on monochrome backgrounds because I personally hate them, without someone telling me they're against some dumb made up rules.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

Even if some, or perhaps all, of the things the North American Vexillological Association say are reasonable, they can absolutely go gently caress themselves for pretending to be an authority on flag design. Who died and made them flag kings? I can hate state seals on monochrome backgrounds because I personally hate them, without someone telling me they're against some dumb made up rules.
It's important to consider these kinds of radical groups within their proper context. The NAVA has become more strident and dogmatic as a reaction to existing within the vexillological wasteland that is the US. A lack of nuance might undermine some potentially good flag ideas, but it is a bit like other creative endeavors: You need to get the fundamentals down before you can go and break the rules, and the US as a whole does not have the fundamentals down yet.

Furthermore, the existence and promotion of a strict standard encourages creative minds to break the rules, resulting in something that's likely to be far more interesting and satisfying than what someone who does not know the rules in the first place will produce.

In short, we need rules to know what to break.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

Even if some, or perhaps all, of the things the North American Vexillological Association say are reasonable, they can absolutely go gently caress themselves for pretending to be an authority on flag design. Who died and made them flag kings?

George III :911:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

which I guess provokes the question of how the Houthis even generally see themselves as a state in the ongoing Yemeni civil war.
That and how the west continues to conflate the Houthis, the Ansar Allah movement, and the state of North Yemen, and refuses to acknowledge their own complicity in abandoning the latter at the end of the cold war. Then wonders why that state has inconsistent flag rules.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who wore it better?

Angola

Ejército Popular Boricua

Parti Communiste Révolutionnaire de Côte d'Ivoire

Arguably if that last one counts, which I think is a billhook, so should all the sickles.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That doesn't look anything like a billhook.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That doesn't look anything like a billhook.

Need a chart like this for agricultural implements.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now *that's* a flag

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Now *that's* a flag

Looks like something from Tropico

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Platystemon posted:

Who wore it better?

Angola

Ejército Popular Boricua

Parti Communiste Révolutionnaire de Côte d'Ivoire

Arguably if that last one counts, which I think is a billhook, so should all the sickles.

Controversial take, but modern technology and contemporary machinery don't belong on flags, so no guns, gears, or the like. It really pains me to say this because the Angola flag is an objectively amazing design, but the huge gear is such a turn-off. The same can also be said for Mozambique, which just inexplicably repulses because of its very conspicuous rifle.

I should probably see a doctor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 10, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Controversial take, but modern technology and contemporary machinery don't belong on flags, so no guns, gears, or the like. It really pains me to say this because the Angola flag is an objectively amazing design, but the huge gear is such a turn-off. The same can also be said for Mozambique, which just inexplicably repulses because of its very conspicuous rifle.

Even assuming we accept this notion, how old are you that gears are a new-fangled idea? They're about contemporary with the founding of the Roman Republic.

Count Roland posted:

Now *that's* a flag
Too corporate-modern.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the gear is pretty rad and the black and yellow design really pops.

I prefer a machete to a sickle because I've known more people who ended up using a machete than people who have used sickles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Even assuming we accept this notion, how old are you that gears are a new-fangled idea? They're about contemporary with the founding of the Roman Republic.

Yeah they’ve got machetes beat by about twenty centuries.

Sickles are more or less as old as agriculture though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wikipedia calls these arms on the emblem of Djibouti “machetes”, but they’re clearly not. I don’t know what they’re called in Djibouti, but leaf‐shaped blades of that size are classic. In ancient Greece, it would be a kopis (Κόπις). Thailand has e‐neps and the Philippines has barongs.

There’s a proposal to make some skyscrapers based on the emblem, which is cool.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 10, 2024

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

an attempt to whitewash Islam

what, uh, does this mean,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Angolan flag I always thought was really good. I know the black band represents Africa, but aesthetically it has a lot in common with black-and-red anarchist and syndicalist flags. It's a good color combination if you want to express defiance and vitality. It was also a good decision to center the yellow tools + star and make them appropriately sized.

Most other communist flags are atrocious, though. Oh, another tiny yellow hammer-and-sickle and/or star on an otherwise featureless red background? How original. I guess designing a flag that isn't lame as hell is bourgeois decadence, I wish someone with a functioning sense of aesthetics would seize the means of flag production.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Is somebody paying you to discredit vexillologists by parading around the worst possible takes about flags, or do you come up with them naturally?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

I guess designing a flag that isn't lame as hell is bourgeois decadence, I wish someone with a functioning sense of aesthetics would seize the means of flag production.
The true proletarian means of communist flag production is leaving your tools out after clearing the yard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

The Angolan flag I always thought was really good. I know the black band represents Africa, but aesthetically it has a lot in common with black-and-red anarchist and syndicalist flags. It's a good color combination if you want to express defiance and vitality. It was also a good decision to center the yellow tools + star and make them appropriately sized.
Parliament proposed this flag to replace it:

Which would've been a tragedy if it had come to pass. The flag is one of the all-time greats, with an excellent use of color and a nicely balanced but dynamic collection of symbols.

Phlegmish posted:

Most other communist flags are atrocious, though. Oh, another tiny yellow hammer-and-sickle and/or star on an otherwise featureless red background? How original. I guess designing a flag that isn't lame as hell is bourgeois decadence, I wish someone with a functioning sense of aesthetics would seize the means of flag production.
I feel like you're vastly overstating the number of red flag, yellow symbol, communist flags.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which would've been a tragedy if it had come to pass. The flag is one of the all-time greats, with an excellent use of color and a nicely balanced but dynamic collection of symbols.

I feel like you're vastly overstating the number of red flag, yellow symbol, communist flags.

Uh, that sun emblem looks like it should be emblazoned on some failed competitor to Iomega Zip Drive (now I'm going to wait for somebody to point out I've disrespected a universally beloved symbol of Angola's historical heritage)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not so much anymore, but I invite you to peruse the old flags of the Soviet republics. "Yellow symbol in the canton of a red flag with maybe an extra stripe or something" was basically the USSR's version of "state seal on a blue background".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, that sun emblem looks like it should be emblazoned on some failed competitor to Iomega Zip Drive (now I'm going to wait for somebody to point out I've disrespected a universally beloved symbol of Angola's historical heritage)

But it also looks like it was drawn by a child, which is ideal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's the whole academic atheist angle of having to create new symbology from first principles in order to get away from symbols connected with religion and the old order. It often seems really dorky and out of touch. The Rural French Revolutionary Calendar is another example of that idea where they tried remaking time itself to get away from religious influences and the way that peasants were used to the Catholic church associating every day with a saint. Instead of that, why not instead commemorate the 22nd of Floreal by considering the fratillary? Consider it harder.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Too close to Costa Rica and North Korea.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's got a very Caribbean or Pacific feel to it - some sort of small island, anyway.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Or a travel agency from the early aughts

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Angry Salami posted:

It's got a very Caribbean or Pacific feel to it - some sort of small island, anyway.

Maybe a Caribbean or Pacific cruise line, rather

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Or a travel agency from the early aughts

I was going to say 'early-2000s low-cost charter airline serving the Mediterranean'

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Not so much anymore, but I invite you to peruse the old flags of the Soviet republics. "Yellow symbol in the canton of a red flag with maybe an extra stripe or something" was basically the USSR's version of "state seal on a blue background".
Only sovereign states count. A sub-national unit getting a flag derivative of the state flag is not inflicting a great vexillological crime on the world.

Also, while they're not great, they specifically aren't just red with a yellow symbol. Hell, some of them even have unique features like waves.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

steinrokkan posted:

Is somebody paying you to discredit vexillologists by parading around the worst possible takes about flags, or do you come up with them naturally?

I think I made it more than abundantly clear that my visceral hatred for guns and other machinery on flags is irrational and without merit. I never explicitly stated or tried to imply that this assertion was justified or reasonable.

Next time, please do yourself a favor and exercise critical thinking when reading and responding to posts so you don't make your subpar reading comprehension skills so apparent. Thanks.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I think I made it more than abundantly clear that my visceral hatred for guns and other machinery on flags is irrational and without merit. I never explicitly stated or tried to imply that this assertion was justified or reasonable.

Next time, please do yourself a favor and exercise critical thinking when reading and responding to posts so you don't make your subpar reading comprehension skills so apparent. Thanks.

So which terminally angry banned user are you?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Minnesota's new state flag goes into effect as of midnight tonight, Minnesota time (CDT).

Old:

New:

Just in case any of you want to hold a New-Year's-Eve style countdown.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

EasilyConfused posted:

So which terminally angry banned user are you?

Please consider for a moment that SA is still accepting payment for and allowing new users to register accounts. I know it seems farfetched, but not everyone with a recent join date is a permabanned degenerate political extremist.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Phlegmish posted:

Most other communist flags are atrocious, though. Oh, another tiny yellow hammer-and-sickle and/or star on an otherwise featureless red background?

I honestly find a lot of the SSR flags quite distinct and original, especially Estonia and Latvia, with that alluring wave formation.

Along with the gold star you mentioned, another common trope exhibited by communist flags is the dreaded tricolor with an overlayed coat of arms (topped by a red star, of course).

To be fair, though, tricolors and seals on a bedsheet transcend communism and plague a wide array of states, all with varying political allegiances.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Powered Descent posted:

Minnesota's new state flag goes into effect as of midnight tonight, Minnesota time (CDT).

Old:

New:

Just in case any of you want to hold a New-Year's-Eve style countdown.

Why the gently caress did they discard this glorious design?

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 11, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Please consider for a moment that SA is still accepting payment for and allowing new users to register accounts. I know it seems farfetched, but not everyone with a recent join date is a permabanned degenerate political extremist.

Being a rereg is the less sad alternative here.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Platystemon posted:

Being a rereg is the less sad alternative here.

in the eye of the beholder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Why the gently caress did they discard this glorious design?

Star was swapping it out for an existing star motif from the capital building that was actually already uses as minor symbol of government, stripes for color because they liked the effect it had when the flag was hanging without wind.

Star change unfortunately correct change to for Minnesota specifically even though the original star is nicer in a vacuum, stripes change... much more eh.