Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

My family uses the premade stuff because no one can make whipped cream. Last time I tried it I hosed it up.

But then I had a brainwave. My mother said that my grandmother made excellent whipped cream and meringue but no one else could do it. She also said she had a reputation for using every pot and dish in the kitchen whenever she cooked. I realized that no one in the family can make a whipped cream because they're not using a clean mixing bowl.
If you have a mixer that has a whisk attachment and you use something like a mason jar rather than a wide bowl it takes like 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well thank loving god they got the real stuff instead of the lovely store brand. I bet the store brand doesn't even have real xanthan gum.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people? I thought Cool Whip was just a brand name for whipped cream, instead it's a substitute made of cheaper ingredients and with more calories, sugar and fat!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how thorough do you think this guy is being with washing the cloth that it's more time/effort than completely disrobing, getting the shower up to temp, getting in the shower, then toweling off and getting re-dressed?

I wouldn't expect anything less than spotless. 'Cause otherwise it's just a rinsed but still poo poo-smeared towel.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

mystes posted:

How does this have to do with the difference between name brand and store brand products?

Cool whip is not whipped cream at all.

It's absolutely pre-made shelf-stable alternative to whipped cream. It uses more vegitble fats than animal fats to be shelf stable, but both contain dairy and are largely understood to be more or less interchangeable, though cool whip is more convenient and arguably better for you while most agree that whipped cream tastes better.

Wikipedia article is here, breaks down the history of all this in more detail.

I've been cooking a while and assumed this was all very common knowledge, but I guess we a learned something today!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rockman Reserve posted:

he brought the right thing and they freaked out that it had the wrong colorful letters on the package, its just milk, oil and corn syrup whipped up with stabilizers. this isn’t like someone asked for a nintendo 64 and someone brought home an as-seen-on-tv 30 games in one plug and play kit or something. and the store he went to was sold out of the name brand.

Cool Whip (and assorted generic versions) have never even been introduced to milk, let alone contain any.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mx. posted:

AITA for not warning my wife about my rear end rag?

Why did this have to be the one I get to while having my lunch break?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people? I thought Cool Whip was just a brand name for whipped cream, instead it's a substitute made of cheaper ingredients and with more calories, sugar and fat!

:burger: :911: :burger:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People ask me why I mod this thread and I tell them "Some days it's rear end rags and Cool Whip"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shanghaied posted:

I wouldn't expect anything less than spotless.

are you new here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like that the burger pulse rate matches the American resting BPM

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
there were ads for a while trying to make cool whip hip and underground
miracle whip and cool whip aren't the same thing, have a cringy ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1vtZR16RY
and it was weird.
edit: is miracle whip different from mayonnaise in taste?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Miracle Whip has mustard and garlic in it. I've seen a bunch of old recipes that use it as a substitute for mayo in desserts and that sounds extremely gross. A bit of mayo in some frozen whipped confectionary, sure, but not that poo poo.

mystes posted:

If you have a mixer that has a whisk attachment and you use something like a mason jar rather than a wide bowl it takes like 30 seconds
I have a stand mixer, but I made the mistake of leaving a little butter in the bowl.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a stand mixer, but I made the mistake of leaving a little butter in the bowl.

and that's how yogurt gets made

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

there were ads for a while trying to make cool whip hip and underground
miracle whip and cool whip aren't the same thing, have a cringy ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1vtZR16RY
and it was weird.
edit: is miracle whip different from mayonnaise in taste?

Yes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this may surprise you, but miracle whip is sweeter

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
sorry i bought the off brand miracle whip. but cool whip should be fine, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hawowanlawow posted:

this may surprise you, but miracle whip is sweeter
That makes it even worse!

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Halloween Jack posted:

My family uses the premade stuff because no one can make whipped cream. Last time I tried it I hosed it up.

But then I had a brainwave. My mother said that my grandmother made excellent whipped cream and meringue but no one else could do it. She also said she had a reputation for using every pot and dish in the kitchen whenever she cooked. I realized that no one in the family can make a whipped cream because they're not using a clean mixing bowl.

This is a legit impressive brainwave btw. I didn't understand the chemistry behind a meringue for years, putting it all together from first principles and figuring out that a drop of oil will ruin things is a serious acheivement.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
just get mayo and add sugar to taste

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think it's less dense and therefore lower in calories for the same volume than whipped cream. I think it's one of those dubious 90s things like margarine with partially hydrogenated oils being claimed to be more healthy than butter.

Obviously being less dense doesn't mean you're consuming fewer calories if you just eat a larger volume to compensate.

There's also reduced fat cool whip which has more water and stabilizers

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 10, 2024

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Don't need to be hweird about it

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Imagine being so incompetent in the kitchen you can't figure out how to make whipped cream with a hand mixer.

This was a job my mom gave to the little kids at holidays it was so easy

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA for changing an old family recipe?

quote:

My MIL has a recipe for something called "Fudge Pie." I had it once, years ago, and asked for the recipe. Never made it. This stuff is incredibly rich, and almost too chocolatey. No crust, just pie. Basically a dense, rich, pie shaped brownie. Requires vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip to cut it down.

Now, I wanted to make it for an office Christmas party tomorrow so I did I trial run earlier in the week. Yep. Just like I remember. Super rich.

Here's the AH part... I thought I'd try baking it in a Graham cracker crust, and put Cool Whip on top, then freeze it like an icebox pie, or whatever. The goal is to cut down the richness of it. My husband acts like I'm ruining an old family recipe, when he nor his MIL will be eating it. I'm just modifying it, that's not ok?

AITA?

~Family recipes~ always bring out the dumbest pettiness in the dumbest people.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It's absolutely pre-made shelf-stable alternative to whipped cream. It uses more vegitble fats than animal fats to be shelf stable, but both contain dairy and are largely understood to be more or less interchangeable, though cool whip is more convenient and arguably better for you while most agree that whipped cream tastes better.

Wikipedia article is here, breaks down the history of all this in more detail.

I've been cooking a while and assumed this was all very common knowledge, but I guess we a learned something today!
There is something very wrong with your tastebuds. Also, Cool Whip is not better for you lol.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for changing an old family recipe?

~Family recipes~ always bring out the dumbest pettiness in the dumbest people.

Grandma's secret dessert recipe taken from the side of the Cool Whip™ package specifically requires Real Cool Whip™. Accept no substitutes.

I have a recipe for the maple nut chiffon cake my grandmother would make, and it specifically calls for Wesson brand oil, because the recipe came from the side of a Wesson oil bottle decades ago (it's a fantastic cake though).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Cool Whip (and assorted generic versions) have never even been introduced to milk, let alone contain any.

I mean you could actually check the ingredients where it includes milk and cream or you could go and be smug and wrong online, I woulda picked different but y’know you chase your own rainbows dude

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I mean you could actually check the ingredients where it includes milk and cream or you could go and be smug and wrong online, I woulda picked different but y’know you chase your own rainbows dude
Well to be fair:

quote:

From its introduction, Cool Whip was labeled and advertised as non-dairy,[14] but as of 2018 it contains skimmed milk and sodium caseinate, a milk derivative

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
AITA for buying store brand cookies?

quote:

Like so many other people, my wife and I have been struggling to make ends meet during the inflation of the past few years. We've each gotten raises at work, but our inflation-adjusted wages have fallen, so we've had to make cuts to our household budget. One of ways we've "trimmed the fat" is to buy cheaper food (shopping more at cheaper stores, eating cheaper cuts of meat, eating less than we used to, etc.).

Well, my wife has always loved Oreos, and she said that she would like me to continue buying them when I go out shopping, regardless of how much they cost. She generally eats a pretty good diet, so these are kind of a rare treat for her to have with a cup of coffee or something. I generally avoid sweets, except for fruit, so I don't see the need to keep buying these cookies. Well, I was at the store today, and I noticed for the first time that the store was selling their brand of Oreos. I was intrigued by them and was especially enthused about the price, since they were a few dollars cheaper for the same number of cookies. I bought them, checked out, and returned home.

My wife was there, and after I walked through the door, she helped me put the groceries away. However, when she pulled the cookies out of the bag, she asked me where the Oreos were and what these were. I told her that these were store brand Oreos and that they were cheaper. She opened the package and tried one but immediately spat it out and said that it "tasted awful." I tried one and said that it tasted fine to me. I technically didn't lie, since it was sweet like any other cookie, but I could tell that it didn't taste like name-brand Oreos. However, I didn't want to pay name-brand prices, so I tried to spin the cookie as being as tasty as possible. My wife, however, refuses to eat the cookies.

We just talked about it a few minutes ago, and I told her that she was being ridiculous and that she needs to just suck it up and finish the cookies, but she says that I'm being cheap and trying to "gaslight her" into enjoying these cookies as much as Oreos. I reminded her that cookies aren't even nutritious anyway and that she could stop eating them entirely and still get all of her required vitamins and minerals. She accused me of "changing the subject" and said that I "wasn't listening at all." I don't understand why she needs to be this difficult, and I'm considering buying ginger snaps on my next grocery run just to show her how good she currently has it. I'm feeling extremely annoyed. AITA?

AITAH for not providing store-bought bottled water?

quote:

Over the holidays we entertained a few times, nothing real fancy, just casual family gatherings. My husband's sister only drinks water but refused to drink the water from our reverse osmosis tap that we keep refrigerated-chilled in a glass container. She said something like "it is inconsiderate to not also offer bottled water like everyone else does because most people don't like city tap water." Her brother explained to her that our filtered "tap water" is probably safer and better tasting than most bottled waters. That led to a ten-minute debate amongst the families about which is preferred, and not everyone agreed with us. FWIW, we provided a choice of either disposable cups or drinking glass because we are aware some people are particular about that. So, are we the A-holes for not providing bottled water, should we provide bought water next time?

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 10, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rockman Reserve posted:

mystes posted:

Well to be fair:

Okay, yeah I'll cop to speaking from out of date info. My wife is a hobby baker and refuses to use Cool Whip since she feels it's so easy to make actual whipped cream, so I haven't actually put hands on a tub of the stuff for a long time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oreos are a knockoff of hydrox and I personally think that oreos actually taste worse than most store brand copies

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My (M42) wife (F43) gets angry at our kids and only refers to them as mine. How do I get her to stop and apologize to our kids?

quote:

This is confusing and I think just stupid. My wife and I have 3 kids together. Two girls, one boy. These are all our biological children.

My kids are at that age where they're finding themselves and learning what their interests actually are. Lots of self expression. I'm a very open minded guy and I don't care what my kids are doing as long as they're healthy, safe, and most importantly, happy. One of my daughters is going through her emo phase (lol, I had one too at her age). My wife doesn't like this at all. She absolutely despises it and criticizes her every time she sees her with her makeup and black clothes. She wants her to dress "normal" in her words. I don't care, like I said. I'm the one who bought my daughter the clothes in the first place.

My wife has been doing this thing as of late where when she's angry, she'll make snide remarks disguised as compliments, and then get offended when called out. I call her out when she does this to our children. I think it's incredibly immature and downright cruel to do to kids, especially our kids. She'll then claim that we're all "dogpiling" on her and that she's sorry for being such a concerned mother who wants her kids to be normal. I've had multiple conversations about this with her.

I think this is where her behavior came from, but I'm not sure. When she gets mad about the way our kids are dressed now, she says things like "look at how your daughter is dressed" and "go get your son before I say something to him". I don't like this. Our kids are starting to hate their mother for a variety of teenage reasons and this isn't helping at all. I don't want their relationship to deteriorate because she can't handle a bit of black clothing.

My son is the last to figure out his own style so he's been starting to latch onto his older sister's sense and music. My son was always a "mommy's boy" before this so it's driving my wife insane. He painted his nails black last week and his sister did eyeliner on him, and my wife nearly passed out from shock. This caused her to demand he take it off, scolded our daughter, and made her cry. My wife had then called me while I was at work telling me that I "better come get my kids" before she "gives them a reason to hate her". I luckily got to go home, and when I got there it was a bit of a wreck.

My son was fuming on the couch and my two daughters were nowhere to be found. When I asked him what happened, my wife came storming out of the kitchen ripping me a new one for allowing this kind of disrespectful behavior. While she was yelling, my son said that he hated her. She shrieked at me to "control my kid" and I could see how hurt my son was to hear that. He went up to his room without a word, and I calmed my wife down enough to get the story in her words before telling her that she can't do that and needs to apologize. She hasn't as far as I know.

She's been giving me the silent treatment ever since and I'm honestly just tired. I don't give a drat what my kids are wearing or what type of music they're listening to. I know from first hand experience that if a kid can't do something, they're going to find a way to do it and start lying and sneaking around, and we all know how that can end. I don't want that. I want open communication and a great relationship with everyone. This is stressing me out.

How do I get my wife to apologize and stop saying these things? They're our kids and I know this rift is going to only get larger. My wife is beginning to resent me too I think.

Edit: Just to add some things, I would go to war for my kids, lol. My children weren’t showing signs of depression, just dabbling with style because it’s popular on TikTok. I had a lovely upbringing and vowed to be the best dad I could. I’m trying. I’ve tried to keep most of this fighting behind closed doors as well. I don’t believe in your kids being involved in the fighting between parents. I’ve been paying close attention to my kids and went out to eat on my day off with my two that are having problems with their mother. I bought my other daughter a new makeup thing for your eyes to show her that I didn’t forget about her either.

My wife was not always like this. My wife was great with the kids and always a very even tempered woman. I have no idea where this behavior came from but it is concerning. Shes never mistreated our kids and used to be the proud mommy in the crowd at their school plays. No one is interested in therapy at the moment, but I especially want to get my wife the help I think she needs. She was always a very supportive, positive woman and that’s why I fell in love with her. I do not want to divorce, but if it truly came down to it, I’d be fighting for full custody. I don’t care if our kids wear some makeup, are goth, gay, into sports, D&D or whatever else it may be. They’re my babies and I’ll fight tooth and nail if it comes down to it, but I pray that it doesn’t. I love everyone involved.
Kids goth, wife evil, who care?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

Oreos are a knockoff of hydrox and I personally think that oreos actually taste worse than most store brand copies

Worst opinion in any r/relationships thread to date :ohno:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Okay, yeah I'll cop to speaking from out of date info. My wife is a hobby baker and refuses to use Cool Whip since she feels it's so easy to make actual whipped cream, so I haven't actually put hands on a tub of the stuff for a long time.

likewise, the last time I picked up a tub of cool whip before 2022 or so was probably 1998, so I’m dumb and misinformed in the complete opposite direction!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

My (M42) wife (F43) gets angry at our kids and only refers to them as mine. How do I get her to stop and apologize to our kids?

Kids goth, wife evil, who care?
Well they're going to be "OP's kids" after they all go no contact with their mother

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AITAH for not providing store-bought bottled water?

If you read the sides of some containers of water, they actually say something along the lines of "from a municipal water supply". A lot of bottled water is literally just tap water.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

cat botherer posted:

There is something very wrong with your tastebuds. Also, Cool Whip is not better for you lol.

I'm not going off my tastebuds, they've been pretty poo poo since I had to get my tounge sewn back together. I'm going off my husband who is super into dairy judging. I'm more into spices myself.
I'll cop to going off him for the health stuff too - he's a lab tech that was working to lower his cholesterol and less animal products always means lower cholesterol, but you're right that it's more calorie dense so it isn't the neat trade-off I presented it as.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

Oreos just taste sweet to me. The sweetness is so overpowering that I can't taste any other flavour. And Oreos are the only cookies that do this to me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I'm not going off my tastebuds, they've been pretty poo poo since I had to get my tounge sewn back together. I'm going off my husband who is super into dairy judging. I'm more into spices myself.
I'll cop to going off him for the health stuff too - he's a lab tech that was working to lower his cholesterol and less animal products always means lower cholesterol, but you're right that it's more calorie dense so it isn't the neat trade-off I presented it as.
While it does appear that dietary cholesterol is most likely bad to some extent, it probably doesn't really make sense to replace products with animal fats with plant-derived saturated fats as opposed to just trying to decrease your consumption of saturated fats in general.

Shanghaied posted:

Oreos just taste sweet to me. The sweetness is so overpowering that I can't taste any other flavour. And Oreos are the only cookies that do this to me.
I think it's because name brand oreos essentially just use black (highly alkalized) cocoa which has a slight distinctive flavor but doesn't really have a normal cocoa flavor, so oreos basically just taste sweet and flavorless. Must copies have more cocoa flavor which I assume is because they use less alkalized cocoa or a mixture of types of cocoa.

I assume that Oreo just doesn't want to gently caress with their flavor but I assume that whoever makes the generic ones has done taste tests to determine that people prefer more cocoa flavor, so maybe it's a New Coke type situation.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 10, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Franz posted:

If you read the sides of some containers of water, they actually say something along the lines of "from a municipal water supply". A lot of bottled water is literally just tap water.

Coke tried that one with Dasani over here in the UK a while back (and somehow actually making it worse) and got clocked pretty fast - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/19/foodanddrink

Dasani is to this day not a thing in Europe. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

orthorexia! \o/