Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Diabetic posted:

Meanwhile, Liz can't have enough attention and did by far the dumbest vote despite her supervillain nemesis Q, she voted Venus and it made zero sense.
I mean, I figure Charlie told Liz and Kenzie that Venus had some mysterious advantage and they needed to take her out. With Charlie voting Venus they didn’t have the numbers for anything else, so might as well vote Venus also.

KingKapalone posted:

I heard they got rid of the challenges where you physically engage with others. The one in Cook Islands where they had to drag someone off a pole was brutal. The lady cop was getting choked out. I assume they got rid of these awhile ago, but they drat sure weren't making it past 2020...
yeah seems they don’t have challenges with physical engagement anymore in the US but they still love them in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Diabetic posted:

Meanwhile, Liz can't have enough attention and did by far the dumbest vote despite her supervillain nemesis Q, she voted Venus and it made zero sense.
I mean, I figure Charlie told Liz and Kenzie that Venus had some mysterious advantage and they needed to take her out. With Charlie voting Venus they didn’t have the numbers for anything else, so might as well vote Venus also.

KingKapalone posted:

I heard they got rid of the challenges where you physically engage with others. The one in Cook Islands where they had to drag someone off a pole was brutal. The lady cop was getting choked out. I assume they got rid of these awhile ago, but they drat sure weren't making it past 2020...
yeah seems they don’t have challenges with physical engagement anymore in the US but they still love them in Australia.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Fast Luck posted:

That makes sense. I figured Charlie would have went for Venus but I didn't see any reason for Liz too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
A friend sent me a clip of Venus's interview from RHAP yesterday. Apparently this is a very bitter jury. Venus said that the only person who would even speak to her at Ponderosa was Hunter, and everybody else completely ignored her.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guess that’s the endgame of casting superfans, take the game show super seriously. Just have fun at your free vacation goobers. Least the chaos is kinda entertaining.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not even sure why they hate Venus so much. She’s not screwing anyone or throwing tantrums or whatever. She’s just kind of a dumb overzealous player no one wants to play with.

My best guess is just that this cast is so overwhelmed by self serious puppetmaster wannabes that Venus never just going along with the flow pisses them off and threatens them the same way they turned on their allies for small game divergences.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Saw Ben perform with his band last night and it was a very enjoyable fever dream

• The venue's just down the street from me, I've been a few times but this was the most packed I'd ever seen it
  • I saw two adult men wearing buffs and at least three people had signs, the only one I was able to read said "RELEASE THE BEN EDIT"
  • It shouldn't surprise me but he was a very good guitarist
  • He made the crowd chant Bhanu's name before playing a song called "Kindness is Hot"
  • He talked about his perfect Survivor bromance before dedicating a song called "Tears on the Beach" to Tim
  • He pulled Austin (S45) on stage to sing backup vocals for a song called "Florida Man" (didn't see any other Survivors there)
  • Dunno if it was the title, but the chorus to another song was "OUTWIT OUTROCK OUTSLAY"
  • At one point the band all laid down and started gurgling about bourbon burgers

A+++++ would absolutely go again, he's playing Philly (Ukie Club, 5/16), NY (Mercury Lounge, 5/23), Orlando (Will's Pub, 5/25) and Fort Lauderdale (Revolution, FL, 6/1) coming up if you want to share in weird nerdery

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Guess that’s the endgame of casting superfans, take the game show super seriously. Just have fun at your free vacation goobers. Least the chaos is kinda entertaining.

Looking at the Jury, Venus is only the 5th jury member. The rest, aside from Hunter, are Soda, Tevin, and Tiff, all people who thought they were running the game. The problem is, while Venus was convinced that she was the orchestrator behind the Tevin vote, she wasn't, and Tiff knows this. Venus was pretty much a non-entity in this game, so there does seem to be an undeserved amount of hate towards her. She must have been very difficult to live with or something out there.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess, but having the whole cast shun you is weird especially when we didn’t see anything crazy. If there was anything even remotely interesting they’d have showed a snippet of it. They absolutely hated her from day one. I just think it’s a group of sociopaths.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just think it’s a group of sociopaths.
Perfect summary for this season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even Ben seems to hate her and he seems like one of the handful of cast members who possesses empathy. But he also seems like he’s mostly operating on wanting to cruise with no game drama.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nihonniboku posted:

A friend sent me a clip of Venus's interview from RHAP yesterday. Apparently this is a very bitter jury. Venus said that the only person who would even speak to her at Ponderosa was Hunter, and everybody else completely ignored her.

Every single cast member except Venus was spotted together hanging out at some party earlier in the airing of the season, and Jess and Kenzie were beefing even then. I do still think the cast is pretty lame but even from what we saw on the show (Hunter interacting with Venus leading up to his boot) and her exit interviews, it’s not that unusual that they’d all decide not to associate with her.

Most of the cast can be jerks, and Venus can also be an extremely exhausting person to be around. Without doing armchair diagnosis I will just say I’ve known people who behaved like Venus did and it can be highly off-putting and draining for other people.

There are a lot of tradeoffs with having a cast entirely full of hooting superfans but this isn’t one of them

STAC Goat posted:

Even Ben seems to hate her and he seems like one of the handful of cast members who possesses empathy. But he also seems like he’s mostly operating on wanting to cruise with no game drama.

He probably doesn’t hate her, like you said this is a guy who hates *drama*, and has told us he’s wanted Q out of the game for weeks because of it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where are our damned Ponderosa videos. I miss DVD extras.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

STAC Goat posted:

I’m not even sure why they hate Venus so much. She’s not screwing anyone or throwing tantrums or whatever. She’s just kind of a dumb overzealous player no one wants to play with.

My best guess is just that this cast is so overwhelmed by self serious puppetmaster wannabes that Venus never just going along with the flow pisses them off and threatens them the same way they turned on their allies for small game divergences.

She's pretty, she's thin, and even after however long on the island, she still looks like she's wearing a full face of makeup. Everybody pegged her as 'bitchy airhead' the moment they saw her.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ugh now Kenzie is whining about "her moves." Shut up forever about your drat moves, all survivor players. I don't wanna hear that term in that context until the last episode, during the final jury that I usually skip these days.

Lol Venus checking her invisible watch while Kenzie hunts for no idol. I can't beleive she's going home this episode. No idol using goober crew. edit: Ah, Venus laying out her plan to be voted out by not using her idol, as a strategy.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 10, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Saw Ben perform with his band last night and it was a very enjoyable fever dream

• The venue's just down the street from me, I've been a few times but this was the most packed I'd ever seen it
  • I saw two adult men wearing buffs and at least three people had signs, the only one I was able to read said "RELEASE THE BEN EDIT"
  • He made the crowd chant Bhanu's name before playing a song called "Kindness is Hot"
  • He talked about his perfect Survivor bromance before dedicating a song called "Tears on the Beach" to Tim
  • He pulled Austin (S45) on stage to sing backup vocals for a song called "Florida Man" (didn't see any other Survivors there)
  • Dunno if it was the title, but the chorus to another song was "OUTWIT OUTROCK OUTSLAY"
  • At one point the band all laid down and started gurgling about bourbon burgers

A+++++ would absolutely go again, he's playing Philly (Ukie Club, 5/16), NY (Mercury Lounge, 5/23), Orlando (Will's Pub, 5/25) and Fort Lauderdale (Revolution, FL, 6/1) coming up if you want to share in weird nerdery

This rocks

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ben's band is good! If he comes up to :canada: I'd definitely go see them

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

TheCenturion posted:

She's pretty, she's thin, and even after however long on the island, she still looks like she's wearing a full face of makeup. Everybody pegged her as 'bitchy airhead' the moment they saw her.

Yeah I think it's episode 1 that Tevin says something like "The moment I saw you pre-game I was like 'oh she's a princess". I'm not gonna pretend Venus couldn't have been more self-aware (trying to throw a pity party for herself when her toe got run over in the comp was particularly bad social play), but I think a bunch of players saw her as the mactor who was supposed to do what they said and get voted off at a convenient time.

Basically they wanted her to be Morgan but she was Eliza.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do wonder how much Venus maybe could have chilled if people hadn’t iced her out so early. It seems a bit chicken or egg. She was playing a little too hard out of the gate and got labeled for it and ostracized because she was on a tribe that never had to go to tribal. But like maybe if anyone had been willing to play with her she could have found a balance. There was that whole Soda thing where apparently they had a game relationship and then Soda just iced her out. It seems like that kind of just made Venus more paranoid and anxious to play.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Venus has been shown to be super abrasive all the time lmao. Like, her conversation with Randen about why Hunter was running the tribe was Real Blunt in an annoying way ("I know because I'm not blind"). I don't think it's even a judge of character! Being annoying to live with on an island while starving and competing in a game show and super physical tasks is not a day to day quality to be worried about.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
If everyone finds her obnoxious, she's probably obnoxious

But who knows? Not us

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Venus said in her exit press that she realized that she can come across very differently from how she thinks she's coming across. Like in that conversation with Charlie where she came off as shady and suspicious, she thought she was being cute and teasing.

So honestly I think it was a lot of unawareness and bluntness. She's probably learned a little from the show how she comes across, it's just whether or not the cast believes her to be capable of that change.

I don't think she's a bad person necessarily, and it's not like she's the only person out there on this cast with an inflated ego.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

The best part was during Florida Man when Ben shouted "Florida Man didn't get Applebee's! He didn't get the bourbon burger!"

Also specifically Ben had a Gibson Flying V guitar, which is the most 80s/90s metal guitar in existence.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

STAC Goat posted:

I do wonder how much Venus maybe could have chilled if people hadn’t iced her out so early. It seems a bit chicken or egg. She was playing a little too hard out of the gate and got labeled for it and ostracized because she was on a tribe that never had to go to tribal. But like maybe if anyone had been willing to play with her she could have found a balance. There was that whole Soda thing where apparently they had a game relationship and then Soda just iced her out. It seems like that kind of just made Venus more paranoid and anxious to play.

Yeah this is my thinking too. Tevin was leading the charge against her Day 1 before she ever really had a conversation with anyone, and iirc his motivation was essentially "Parvati was hot and really dangerous to associate with :: Venus is also hot, and so also might be dangerous as well?"

Rubber Chicken posted:

But who knows? Not us

But on the other hand, this. We only know what the producers deign to show us, it's useless to try to read tea leaves that have already been arranged for you

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Venus is like 20 right? She came across exactly like a smart 20 year old who thinks they have everything in the bag. Honestly she acred less of a cocky twenty year old than Carson last year. But she is also a woman.

And don’t get me wrong I don’t want to spend even a couple of days with a cocky twenty year old so I can totally imagine why people would get tired of her.

Edit: holy poo poo she is 25???? Ok then nevermind I would have bet my life savings she was super young.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 10, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
25 IS super young, especially when her entire life since turning 21 has been ruined by the pandemic

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Poque posted:

25 IS super young, especially when her entire life since turning 21 has been ruined by the pandemic

I mean yes it is not trying to say 25 isn’t young but also there is a massive difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old. That’s like second year college versus graduating grad school.

Or at least I used to think so. Honestly yeah no idea how Covid will affect that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We've had younger contestants than Venus who still seem less... Venus, at least, even in new era.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

We've had younger contestants than Venus who still seem less... Venus, at least, even in new era.

Probably. I just assumed she was someone who had basically never interacted with adults on a constant basis because she was still in college.

I still get the impression she is someone who has never interacted with adults on a constant basis

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I get being annoying on island but if your ostracized by the whole cast when you’re chillin at the hotel is weird. Like nobody wants to talk to you and hang out at the pool even a little bit? I’ve never met anyone that annoying without someone outright saying why.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I get being annoying on island but if your ostracized by the whole cast when you’re chillin at the hotel is weird. Like nobody wants to talk to you and hang out at the pool even a little bit? I’ve never met anyone that annoying without someone outright saying why.

tbf that was after the super underhanded and emotionally devastating game

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The last time I remember hearing about a person being completely ostracized at Ponderosa was Crystal from Gabon and that certainly looked worse on the people doing the ostracizing; I don’t remember if they eventually got over themselves, I believe Randy at least was talking to her by the next day.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kass in Cagayan was completely iced out, but iirc she was the last person voted out before Final so she only really spent a couple days there

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Voodoofly posted:

I mean yes it is not trying to say 25 isn’t young but also there is a massive difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old. That’s like second year college versus graduating grad school.

Or at least I used to think so. Honestly yeah no idea how Covid will affect that.

That analysis is bull. My mom graduated undergrad at age 28 and retired in a position of tenure. I myself am pushing 40 with that undergrad, and I loving dare you to put some kind of high-achieving young Carson against me.

Maturity and life experience somehow doesn't get very much credit even though literally everybody who hasn't died young is subject to it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Propaganda Machine posted:

That analysis is bull. My mom graduated undergrad at age 28 and retired in a position of tenure. I myself am pushing 40 with that undergrad, and I loving dare you to put some kind of high-achieving young Carson against me.

Maturity and life experience somehow doesn't get very much credit even though literally everybody who hasn't died young is subject to it.

???

I don’t think we disagree. I was saying 20 year olds are idiots by and large, especially ones in college.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 10, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Okay. But I don't think that going on to a grad degree in your 20s changes that very much.

Sorry to get incensed. It does suck to be pushing 40 and working on college so I'm sorry for taking it personally.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Propaganda Machine posted:

Okay. But I don't think that going on to a grad degree in your 20s changes that very much.

Sorry to get incensed. It does suck to be pushing 40 and working on college so I'm sorry for taking it personally.

Oh grad students are ducking stupid too I just remember her talking about college and I was just using that as a reference for her age/life experience. If anything I think a 25 year old who never went to school would do better than a 25 year old grad student on this show.

Also my dad was career army so he got his undergrad degree six months before I got my undergrad degree. He was in his 50s. My mom is still working on that AA degree she started at 19. She is retired in her 70s. Good luck with yours.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pro-Venus over here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Venus was fun, looks like she's been getting the bad end of the Twitter stick too. Always sucks to see, and far from the worst person on Survivor to dump on even in the meanest interpretation of anything she did.

I don't think I care at all who wins or loses at this point, hoping someone gets buckwild silly in the last few episodes to keep it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I have no idea why they hated Venus other than her appearance. I chalk it up more to the edit leaving out a ton of stuff, like how everyone liked Gabler yet I never saw him make a move, he just looked like Darrell Sheets from Storage Wars and played like him too.

I kinda hope it got better for Venus, she didn't really do anything and really doesn't deserve that hate.