Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Two elderly JSO supporters in their 80s destroy the case (not the document) in the British Library holding the Magna Carta

I'm impressed that they are using the correct tools for the job. :rubby:

edit: 256 in base 16 = 100 in base 10... such a lovely number. :magical:

edit edit: well bugger, i got the numbers wrong way round. :downsowned:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

Dude you are being disingenuous here, we are not talking about history students. Pick a random Irish-American and ask them who the IRA are. Hell there is an episode of Captain Planet about the Troubles - it's pretty terrible, but still, that was for random American schoolkids. Idiots commenting on Youtube are possibly not a representative sample here.

It's radmonger. If he's not being disingenuous then he's not posting.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm impressed that they are using the correct tools for the job. :rubby:

edit: 256 in base 16 = 100 in base 10... such a lovely number. :magical:

It’s the other way round isn’t it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes they mean that 100 in hex is 16 x 16 aka 256.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah, spent ages scratching my head at that haha

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Huh just had a market researcher round. Put me down as a C1 based on my part-time semi-retired job.
Oi - says I - you better upgrade that to a B. OK he says.
Didn't know they were still using those classifications (where in everyone 'retired' is automatically downgraded to an E)

Call me a snob :guillotine:

Honestly the whole thing is outdated classist nonsense.

Particularly how "professionals" automatically get the same grade as senior executives of large corporations and top-level civil servants, that's just, well, stupid.

Similarly small business owners get lumped in with senior management in large corporations.

Completely out of touch.

e: Also Extremely British though.

Here is an updated one:

It's so full of Brit snobbery it hurts.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 10, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lovely evening here. I’m doing Beer Can Chicken

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

New Labour MP too extreme even for the old Rugmeister

reality really is very exhausting to follow these days but i'll ask anyway: why is worzel gummage being interviwed by alexander stubb?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It seems Experian keep the mosaic classification up-to-date, it's a fun read:

https://www.experian.co.uk/business/platforms/mosaic/segmentation-groups

I especially enjoy how the latest one is almost entirely based on "how big and expensive is the place you live in".

I mean we all know that's all that matters in modern UK, but it's funny to see it spelled out like that.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Dude you are being disingenuous here, we are not talking about history students. Pick a random Irish-American and ask them who the IRA are. Hell there is an episode of Captain Planet about the Troubles - it's pretty terrible, but still, that was for random American schoolkids. Idiots commenting on Youtube are possibly not a representative sample here.

Not intentionally. I genuinely was going to add ‘family links’ to the reasons someone might know more, but figured that would be pretty obvious, and the relevant sentence was already getting a bit too long with too many caveats and asides.

Incidentally, that episode of Captain Planet was apparently originally going to be set in the West Bank. NI only got a look in when that was decided to be a bad idea for a kids show…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's been a nice day. Critical elements did not turn up at work so I had four hours kip in the back of the van then went home, lmao.

Nice not to be cold all the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I especially enjoy how the latest one is almost entirely based on "how big and expensive is the place you live in".

I mean we all know that's all that matters in modern UK, but it's funny to see it spelled out like that.

I feel very called out that one of these describes me to a T. No not in the A category.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah you said, it's the T category

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You mother fucker I went back to check because I was pretty sure there was no T category and there wasn't! :argh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I finally looked it up and "to a T" is most likely a shortening of "to a tittle" where a tittle is a small dot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smh @ macron trying to mimic a fraction of boris johnson's power

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
*insert Musk screaming about birth rates and immigration is bad*

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

how is le babby formed?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

I don't fit a single one of those!

All their retired (I know I'm not quite) seem to live in 3 bed houses! Not titchy little flats. And my flat is NOT in a 'retirement community' - it's simply an ordinary block of flats with a 55yo lower age limit. No wardens, no alarms (save what individuals might fit themselves), no residents' lounge with 20 old dears sitting in a circle staring at a tv while drooling (there is a residents' lounge but it has about 10 seats in it, a long-dead tv and is rarely used), no coach outings or evening bingo or groups of 6 year olds visiting from local infants' schools singing "Grandad" in their horrible little kid voices. (Wanna send 6 year olds to sing at me? Please send Aaralyn!)

And none of them seem to be relevant to someone with 8 laptops/tablets LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmHpd87rv0&t=48s

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it's been a nice day. Critical elements did not turn up at work so I had four hours kip in the back of the van then went home, lmao.

Nice not to be cold all the time.

i like how could either mean you work in a hole in the ground or you work in the music industry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

i like how could either mean you work in a hole in the ground or you work in the music industry

I often work in holes in the ground, but today I was working in a spoil heap, which is sort of like the anti-hole.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I love their attempt to map these economic groups to fashion trends

Transient Renters:

Rental Hubs:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
amazing how these cunts hell bent on destroying social security and worker protections have the brass neck to tell people they aren't having enough babies

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

crispix posted:

amazing how these cunts hell bent on destroying social security and worker protections have the brass neck to tell people they aren't having enough babies

it takes a village to raise a child, which is why we expect you to do it on your own and for half your take home pay

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't fit a single one of those!

This is very rude and disrespectful. They spent a long time coming up with these twee-named boxes. Please do better to fit in the lines so the powers that be can more effectively sell tat to you in future

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

This is very rude and disrespectful. They spent a long time coming up with these twee-named boxes. Please do better to fit in the lines so the powers that be can more effectively sell tat to you in future

The only flats that I saw mentioned seemed to relate only to renters or those incredibly expensive £250000 with monthly £1k charges on top flats in those country homes done out as retirement villages.
A flow chart might have been useful.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This hack has been melting down all day on Twitter about Eurovision and it’s now come to this…

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

re: taskmaster chat

just want to remind everyone that the best taskmaster contestant, bob mortimer is from middlesbrough :smuggo:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Rarity posted:

This is still the best moment Taskmaster's ever had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDA7yDv4UBk

Oh good this post I started earlier isn't too late then.

Yes an excellent Taskmaster moment, tied with this one of similar composition. I'll take the Acaster one just because I am juvenile and like the swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhjGV2v-Ok

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

This hack has been melting down all day on Twitter about Eurovision and it’s now come to this…

Yes, that would be about right. I am angry that Israel is being accepted into international song contests while they unleash a missile blitz on their Palestinian victims.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apparently Eurovision is popping off at the moment. NL singer is not rehearsing and cancelling press appearances (and covering himself with a flag when the Israeli act was speaking), rumours of one of the acts being DQed for punching a photographer for mocking his dead parents, last minute staging and scheduling changes, booing edited out / added over Israel's performance & various acts constantly hiding protest makeup.

E: and various countries leaking or straight up broadcasting their public votes ahead of time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excited for the eurovision/pro wrestling crossover event.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rarity posted:

This is still the best moment Taskmaster's ever had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDA7yDv4UBk
Taskmaster peaked with "Rosalind's a loving nightmare".

Not that its gone downhill, but you can't reach that again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the secrets of photography that they don't want you to know is that they can't take photos if you lamp them right in the face and knock them out cold.

That's why they killed lady diana in that tunnel, she was about to leak the secret.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm also very partial to Joe Thomas losing his poo poo for the first time in, probably, his life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOXhI37pNw0

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently Eurovision is popping off at the moment. NL singer is not rehearsing and cancelling press appearances (and covering himself with a flag when the Israeli act was speaking), rumours of one of the acts being DQed for punching a photographer for mocking his dead parents, last minute staging and scheduling changes, booing edited out / added over Israel's performance & various acts constantly hiding protest makeup.

E: and various countries leaking or straight up broadcasting their public votes ahead of time.

Funnily enough not banning the country that is in the middle of a genocide and whose singer is joining the IDF once the competition is over has turned into a massive loving shitshow. Who could have foreseen this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

NL singer is not rehearsing and cancelling press appearances (and covering himself with a flag when the Israeli act was speaking), rumours of one of the acts being DQed for punching a photographer for mocking his dead parents

Yeah the Dutch singer specifically called the Israeli act out to her face and when interviewers tried to brush that off he interrupted them to further underline his disdain for her presence.

His song is about his dead parents IIRC so maybe he then punched a photographer.

I can see why this Eurovision team wouldn't want orphans to be able to defend themselves, given they're defending Israel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait so a fascist turned up, people protested, an antifascist turned up and called the whole thing out, and then someone got decked in the middle of the floor for not being against the fash.

Is... is Eurovision punk now? :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Israel are the #2 favourites to win in the betting lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Israel are the #2 favourites to win in the betting lmao

Better hope the #1 doesn't have a killable child.