Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Zwingley posted:

Let's not forget killing Caelid's legacy dungeon-less Great Rune Haver and then going to the dungeon in his arena to get kicked in the dick by a copy-pasted boss that gives only 6000 runes less than him

Hey now, the statue pointing at it is *technically* in Dragonbarrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zwingley posted:

Let's not forget killing Caelid's legacy dungeon-less Great Rune Haver and then going to the dungeon in his arena to get kicked in the dick by a copy-pasted boss that gives only 6000 runes less than him

Tree Spirits in Tight Spaces is probably my least favorite gimmick in the whole game.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Tree Spirits in Tight Spaces is probably my least favorite gimmick in the whole game.

Tree Spirits in Tight Spaces is my new technical folk jam metal band. We're trying to get on the lineup for Bonnaroo next year.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i actually prefer tree spirits in small arenas because theyre easier to beat when they cant flee a full stamina bar away from you

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I hate the Haligtree, I hate having to carefully platform across branches where I end up usually careening towards my death and I hate the Oracle Envoys, especially that big one who loves to shoot bubbles that one-shot me.

Edit: Cleared the branch part. Lets hope the rest of the area is better...

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 10, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pyro Jack posted:

I hate the Haligtree, I hate having to carefully platform across branches where I end up usually careening towards my death and I hate the Oracle Envoys, especially that big one who loves to shoot bubbles that one-shot me.

I loving love the Haligtree, doubly so when I get to invade there.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyro Jack posted:

try ranged attack
and then,
time for crab

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pyro Jack posted:

Edit: Cleared the branch part. Lets hope the rest of the area is better...

You'll know when you get to the good part.

You'll. Know.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The Haligtree is great when you know what you want and where to go because you can get to the bottom of it in a few minutes easy. The first time is pretty brutal though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I for one love hosed Up Rivendell

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the haligtree is the #1 best place to invade and its not close

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Haligtree is great. Like a nicer brighter Ainsel River

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

scary ghost dog posted:

the haligtree is the #1 best place to invade and its not close

You are a monster and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've put well over a hundred hours into this game, all online, and I don't think I've EVER been invaded. Is that unusual? Did I miss some kind of opt-in?

Or are the PVP folks just contained to the colosseum now?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've put well over a hundred hours into this game, all online, and I don't think I've EVER been invaded. Is that unusual? Did I miss some kind of opt-in?

Or are the PVP folks just contained to the colosseum now?

Did you summon? You can only be invaded when you're in co-op or using the taunter's tongue

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Completed Millicent's questline. Picked the side to get the Unalloyed Needle in case for a future thing. The Unulcerated Tree Spirit fight in a pool of sludge that not only gives you Scarlet Rot but also slows you down is not a fun premise. After dying twice, I just decided to just cheese the bastard since I'm not in the mood and promptly wasted all of my basic bolts and a good chunk of my other ones to kill it from a distance.

After that, it was the fight against Millicent's sisters. I only managed to kill at least two until dying but Millicent cleared the rest while I was dying meaning that I won the fight, primarily due to her doing all the hard work.

Edit: Just before the boss of the Haligtree (Loretta is also a boss but she's comically easy compared to actually getting to her). Since I'm feeling like it and it's easy to get to, I'll farm the Haligtree Knight armor set since I like the look of it.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 10, 2024

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I don’t remember hardly anything from ds3. it’s a blue-tinted smear in my recollection. it’s the only game I only played once.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I don’t remember hardly anything from ds3. it’s a blue-tinted smear in my recollection. it’s the only game I only played once.

It's more of a musty earth tone really

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Who could forget the brown castle wall? Or the brown swamp? Or maybe the gray catacomb is more your speed.

But really, I like DS3 but the color palette was definitely a choice.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

No Dignity posted:

Did you summon? You can only be invaded when you're in co-op or using the taunter's tongue

I'm still so distaught over this. I loved the chaos of getting randomly invaded. It feels like when I use the taunter's tongue I get invaded immediately and at that point I might as well touch a red sign. I also got kind of tired of invading into 1v3s. I miss Bell covenant. I really miss Rat covenant. I miss covenants.

Normally in a DS game I do a normal playthrough or two and then commit to an invader save, but I've only just beaten it for the first time recently because it's so gosh dang big. What are people doing with invasions that's satisfying these days in ER?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you really compared the design I’m sure most of the other regions are just as restricted, but Caelid and Dragonbarrow feel deeply homogenous to me, in terms of their variety and sense of place. Visually they’re obviously FROM going balls-out on their Berserk / Conan the Barbarian psychedelic fantasy, and that’s cool, but that they’re supposed to be ecologically ruined wastelands means that the environments are very same-y by design.

Frankly, say what you will about the Subterranean Shunning Grounds, constantly encountering big beefy fuckers you have to stop and deal with can be engaging when you’re in a dangerously tight area. More than any other region in the game I dread fighting overland stuff in those regions bc I don’t have fun fighting them and can never get into exploration as a result. I’m avoiding every encounter I see.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Lost Izalith was a cool level ruined by too many butt demons

Haven't replayed in a whiile but I remember the level layout being a mess as well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm still so distaught over this. I loved the chaos of getting randomly invaded. It feels like when I use the taunter's tongue I get invaded immediately and at that point I might as well touch a red sign. I also got kind of tired of invading into 1v3s. I miss Bell covenant. I really miss Rat covenant. I miss covenants.

Normally in a DS game I do a normal playthrough or two and then commit to an invader save, but I've only just beaten it for the first time recently because it's so gosh dang big. What are people doing with invasions that's satisfying these days in ER?

i feel the same way as you. but, after doing it for a while, i think the variety offered by being able to invade every area simultaneously, combined with the huge amount of terrible builds noobs can use, and the amount of precision twinking you can do to a character, not to mention the vastly larger playerbase, means im usually having at least as much fun as i did invading in any prior souls game……except for demon’s soul’s

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

No Dignity posted:

...no, and that would explain it!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my suggestions to a new invader would be to 1) make sure you have defensive buffs of some kind. even boiled crab goes a mile 2) theres always something to lure them into and 3) dont sorry about your level. pick a level that youre confident in. even at level 350 i invade new players who got someone on reddit to give them infinite runes, and if they have op summons, im equipped to handle them

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

My suggestion to invaders is to get the mimic veil. Jumping people as a chair is pretty fun.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like to pop the taunters tongue in the open world and see how long I can last before two invaders inevitably team up to murder me

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

FlocksOfMice posted:

If I had to guess I think pvp in particular got screwed over by COVID cuts and delays. It's a pretty niche aspect of the game so it's understandable, but you can kind of see the bones of something more satisfying that they wanted to implement before deciding that the time/money had to be directed elsewhere. I'm still holding onto a faint hope for a dedicated invasion area with a 5-6 player limit in the DLC, but I recognize how unlikely it is.

I haven't played in a bit, but the most fun I had with invasions in the past year or so was to make a new character and invade/host as I build it. The most important thing is to remember that none of it matters. You'll invade into a 3 man team with two level 300 mages and a twinked out host camping a grace at level 50, or you're running a dungeon on your honest build with a random summon who clearly never played the game before and get invaded by someone using the most broken poo poo in the game. In either situation you just have to laugh at how proud they are of squashing you and put your sign down for the next one.

For just getting into invasions, honestly I think level 30 is the best. Downscaling of overleveled phantoms kind of works at that level, you can set your preferred difficulty level by how far ahead you play in the game to get extra flasks, talisman slots, etc., and your most active invasion area is going to be Stormveil, which owns. Also the players who haven't quite figured out which buttons do what yet are cute, and it's fun to cut them some slack or drop items for them and watch them try to remember how gesturing works.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 11, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Arcane run continues to go well. Moved from the Shamshir to Occult Flamberge. Hanging on to Bloody Slash since bleed increase and it's fun to finish a boss with my mimic and I doing it at the same time. Found the festive dancing lady hat and altered it so it's just the flowers and it owns

Rolling around with flower hair and the Perfumers Sarong being a blood bringing big sword bitch and having a blast

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pyro Jack posted:

After that, it was the fight against Millicent's sisters. I only managed to kill at least two until dying but Millicent cleared the rest while I was dying meaning that I won the fight, primarily due to her doing all the hard work.

Huh, that's the opposite of my experience of that fight. I had to be hyper aggressive and kill them all myself because she was crumpling like a wet paper bag

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Millicent final fight is one of the areas where having good AOE is clutch. On my Meteor Mage run I just tanked up and followed Millicent around spamming Gravitas while she took out the bunched-up, staggering clones.

Haligtree is a great place for Gravity sorceries in general, the treetop is an extremely funny place to use Gravity Well. I just wish the Onyx Lord Sword's repulsion skill wasn't so drat slow.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Haligtree is a great place for Gravity sorceries in general, the treetop is an extremely funny place to use Gravity Well. I just wish the Onyx Lord Sword's repulsion skill wasn't so drat slow.

Yeah it’s bad unfortunately. One of the things I really hope they add to this game is a basic gravity projectile spell that knocks enemies back. Maybe they figured it would be too powerful but come on now, think of the comedy value!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’m so torn whether to side with Jerren or Sellen. I’m doing an INT STR build so I think I should probably summon Sellen as an ally but I just feel bad about Jerren because he’s a cool dude :ohdear:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s bad unfortunately. One of the things I really hope they add to this game is a basic gravity projectile spell that knocks enemies back. Maybe they figured it would be too powerful but come on now, think of the comedy value!

This is part of the reason I’m bringing my gravity build guy into the DLC first thing. The trailer had a sword spear that was vaguely gravity-colored so I’m hopeful

The other part of the reason is it’s just a big stupid blast of a build, walking around slapping dudes with the Ruins Greatsword and occasionally pulling them off ledges

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I don't want to take my gravity build lady into NG+ before the DLC, but also, I really really want a second Fallingstar Beast Jaw...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Muscle Tracer posted:

I don't want to take my gravity build lady into NG+ before the DLC, but also, I really really want a second Fallingstar Beast Jaw...

if ur on psn i can give you one

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
After a handful of attempts including decided to use the Rebirth to change my stats up differently, I've beaten Malenia who is unsurprisingly difficult considering her fast attacks, her infamous Waterfowl Dance and the fact she can heal when she lands a hit. I'd like to thank Black Knife Tiche considering the DoT that also cuts her starting HP helped the fight well though, to be honest, I picture my winning attempt was mainly because her second phase wasn't as aggressive than most people would experience.

All that's left besides the Forge (which I'm not activating yet incase there's dialogue about the DLC from Melina when it comes out)? Well, clearing up a bunch of sidequests I still have left such as Dung-Eater, Goldmask (and Corhyn) and Gurranq alongside dealing with one last Demigod.

Edit: Got to Goldenmask up to the point where he's at the Mountaintops of the Giants, so I'm done with him for now. Time to collect some Deathroots and maybe Seedbed Curses.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 11, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

a primate posted:

I’m so torn whether to side with Jerren or Sellen. I’m doing an INT STR build so I think I should probably summon Sellen as an ally but I just feel bad about Jerren because he’s a cool dude :ohdear:

Sellen has the better prizes. You'll get Jerren's neato outfit for killing him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's hilarious that nobody discusses who to choose between Sellen and Jerren on moral grounds because the actual facts involved are so obscure that nobody can tell who the good guy is and the Foul Tarnished never bothers to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Only one choice leads to Orb