Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What're the odds that Leah is related to the composer, aka Flint from "Requiem for Methuselah?"

Pretty good, Picard is distantly related to the balloonist and oceanographer Piccards and Riker's great great grandpa was the prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sash! posted:

It already gets confusing when you include World War 0 or apply the standard of "most major military and economic powers fighting on multiple continents" and you end up at WWXI

Personally I count four world wars

Spanish Succession? and Napoleon?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

It already gets confusing when you include World War 0 or apply the standard of "most major military and economic powers fighting on multiple continents" and you end up at WWXI

Personally I count four world wars

I'm a veteran of the flame wars and food fights of WWIV.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Apollodorus posted:

7 Years War? I guess we would be up to 5 then

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Feldegast42 posted:

7 Years War? I guess we would be up to 5 then

Oh of course. And yes.

Also I just learned about the Paraguayan War, holy poo poo

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What're the odds that Leah is related to the composer, aka Flint from "Requiem for Methuselah?"

She is Flint

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a veteran of the flame wars and food fights of WWIV.

Or WW2 in the US

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Until there is armed conflict on Antarctica I don't count any of these regional conflicts as "world" wars:colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Until there is armed conflict on Antarctica I don't count any of these regional conflicts as "world" wars:colbert:

so things would have to really go south

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Seven Years War and The General Stuff with Napoleon

I would also combine the Seven Years War and the American and French Revolutions as one continuous war because they're so dependent on each other, but then you sort of have combine WWI and WWII.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 10, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

When are we gonna move on to space wars so we have something akin to the age of sail where wars are fought over long periods of time and you may not hear news for like a month

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TOS sometimes tried to evoke that era, although to a lesser degree. I think they should've kept it around more, a lot of Picard's dilemmas would make more sense if they were ages away from being able to talk to Starfleet HQ because of how far out they were.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sash! posted:

Seven Years War and The General Stuff with Napoleon

I would also combine the Seven Years War and the American and French Revolutions as one continuous war because they're so dependent on each other, but then you sort of have combine WWI and WWII.

eons ago someone hit someone else with a rock and its just kept going and going.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjC5a_KUWsM

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Boxturret posted:

Adam Soong Funeral City 600 Million Dead
World is a gently caress

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MikeJF posted:

TOS sometimes tried to evoke that era, although to a lesser degree. I think they should've kept it around more, a lot of Picard's dilemmas would make more sense if they were ages away from being able to talk to Starfleet HQ because of how far out they were.

Picard was several hours out of range. But only sometimes when the script required it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Accipiter posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know how I've never thought about this before, but I haven't and now I can't think of anything else.

THIS DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

I think it would have been fun and silly, but I also think it's important thematically - the federation is all about holding hands and being buddies, but they aren't gonna force you, and every species is able to choose their own path to how they get there. So if the Klingons becomes more accepting and tolerating of outsiders then *obviously* they're gonna do it through their idea of Honour and family ties.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Honour and family ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWv42djoJg

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Nah one of the fun things about that idiocy is that in the event of a massive global armageddon New Zealand would absolutely nationalise all the assets of those bug out ranches, they're pretty leftie in NZ.
Didn't NZ recently vote in a turbo-chud government that is hurriedly undoing as much progressive legislation as possible (like cancelling the smoking ban)?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jadzia didn't have any extended family to get tied into the broader House of Mogh did she? That could've added to the culture mixing. Although I'm not sure the Trill have any culture beyond the brain slugs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tunicate posted:

so things would have to really go south

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Eugenics Wars made plenty of sense as something bad that there could be a big war over, but when TNG started, it was making a big deal about drugs being the great evil and source of WW3. Which I'm a big square and no fan of drugs, but TNG just seemed weird about it. Especially with Roddenberry's personal drug use.

DS9 kinda pivoted back towards something more understandable with its super-slums, but it's not really clear where the Bell Riots fit in with the wars.

I don't think Encounter at Farpoint was saying that WW3 happened because of drugs, just that the armies fighting it had gone all-in on drugs as a form of controlling/enhancing their military.

("nuhhhhhh soldiers/pilots already use a bunch of uppers/amphetamines/etc" okay well then 10 times as bad as that)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjC5a_KUWsM

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think Encounter at Farpoint was saying that WW3 happened because of drugs, just that the armies fighting it had gone all-in on drugs as a form of controlling/enhancing their military.

Q even says controlling. Although I'm not sure that's something that would actually work. I'm skeptical of the quality of soldiers you're getting out of a bunch of guys just looking for their next hit.

At least the drug logic behind the Jem'Hadar made sense: a religious ceremony for a material that keeps them alive.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Sash! posted:

Q even says controlling. Although I'm not sure that's something that would actually work. I'm skeptical of the quality of soldiers you're getting out of a bunch of guys just looking for their next hit.
Maybe some magic hallucinogens that make them see the enemy as monsters, like that one Outer Limits episode?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

At least the drug logic behind the Jem'Hadar made sense: a religious ceremony for a material that keeps them alive.

"
Q: Rapid progress, to where humans learned to control their military with drugs."

This is trek, could just be mind control drugs and not addiction

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One would expect nothing thing but perfectly rational, highly optimal actions from the powers that fought World War 3 and nuked half the planet

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tunicate posted:

"
Q: Rapid progress, to where humans learned to control their military with drugs."

This is trek, could just be mind control drugs and not addiction

Could be both! :buddy:

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Sash! posted:

Yeah the white wasn't really a drug in that sense, it was a fast acting lysine contingency

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's insane how quickly Worf replies that he can't go through with the "blood transfusion" after Picard literally begs him to. His understated reaction is intense. Picard even tried flattery. It's a well acted scene, but Worf should have lost a lot of respect that day. I'm surprised Picard goes on to be his cha'Dich and stuff.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
We control our military with Redline and Burger King already, I can't imagine thinking real powerful future drugs wouldn't do an even more effective job

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The journey begins now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXIFpdSK8s

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The more of these they make, the more obvious it becomes how limited the gimmick is, as well as how much poo poo these AI companies have ripped off copyrighted art and actors' likenesses to feed into their heretical machine minds.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The more of these they make, the more obvious it becomes how limited the gimmick is, as well as how much poo poo these AI companies have ripped off copyrighted art and actors' likenesses to feed into their heretical machine minds.

And there's like 5-6 different accounts that have to be the same source.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Which explains why that Doctor in that is waaaaay more Kelly than Picardo.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
But not why they keep getting posted

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Soul Dentist posted:

Some mysteries are best left unsolved

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Soul Dentist posted:

People think they're a good :banme: but the mods haven't caught up yet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The WWIII drugs could be an mkultra kinda thing, which is a real thing that the USA military tried. I guess remove the conscience and make the soldiers unable to question orders. Maybe remove the pain circuitry? That's not how brain chemistry works, but as a sci-fi thing, it's fine.
And in this scenario, they're also on steroids, amphetamines and whatever else. Because why wouldn't they be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The fact that they didn't return Max Headroom to his own time or the guy he stole from to his is a little weird.

Geordie gets so excited about the soliton propulsion, :lol: he's such a huge nerd.