Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Pro Tip: Mama Murphy is an Industrial plot god with a Strength of 19.

What being permanently hopped up on Psycho does to a mfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only level 7 so far and I'm mostly using SS2 as a way to very quickly and easily build out settlements to use as water and food sources (and time will tell how quickly I can get them to start putting up vendors, maybe I can do that before ever needing to get to Diamond City) but I'm already thinking about a future playthrough where you turn up the difficulty and the Sole Survivor has to be the one to run around picking up blocks of cement and stacks of wood to feed into the virtual storage so that the settlement can build itself up. it's so good.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep. ss2 with a good loot scarcity mod like damned apocalypse turns settlements from a pretty useless system awkwardly bolted on the game into a critical and fun system.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Is there a way to auto-build settlements without having to install Sim Settlements 2?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm only level 7 so far and I'm mostly using SS2 as a way to very quickly and easily build out settlements to use as water and food sources (and time will tell how quickly I can get them to start putting up vendors, maybe I can do that before ever needing to get to Diamond City) but I'm already thinking about a future playthrough where you turn up the difficulty and the Sole Survivor has to be the one to run around picking up blocks of cement and stacks of wood to feed into the virtual storage so that the settlement can build itself up. it's so good.

SS2 complements Survival mode pretty well too because you can unlock the ability to turn caravan routes into fast travel points if you invest enough time into it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

another extremely win thing to do is disabling fast travel and running flyable personal vertibird

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
really impressed by how well SS2 works once you get past the initial learning curve

Red Rocket is, of course, empty when you first activate it as a settlement. I gather materials from scrapping stuff all over Sanctuary to build a water pump, a recruitment beacon, and a generator in Red Rocket. Before long, I attract my first settler, and I use two ASAM sensors left over from The Stranger's tutorial to have the settler build himself a 3-bed residential plot, and a farming plot

I go off and do some questing in Concord (without completely activating Preston's questline all the way through) and come back and there's a second settler in Red Rocket - that's good, she goes off to work on the farm plot as well, and now I have 3 beds, 3 food, and 3 water but with only 2 settlers so far

following-up on The Stranger's questline, I go off and raid USAF Station Olivia - the integration of this site into SS2's progression is so seamless that I wouldn't have known it wasn't created specifically for the mod if I hadn't already done this "dungeon" once before in vanilla

when I come back, there's now a third settler in Red Rocket. The farm plot can support three people working on it, but looking at the workshop HUD, I can see that the settlement's virtual storage has zero caps and zero scrap, so I figure I should put down an industrial plot. I plunk one down, but I notice that it's not getting constructed. I look at the plot's HOLO icons, and I can see the red-colored person icon indicating that nobody is assigned to it, so I walk over to one of the settlers and assign them to the plot. They construct it in short order, and I look over to the farm plot, and the farm's HOLO icons now says "2/3" indicating that I moved one person out of working on it, so it only has two out of three possible workers on it

if I had turned on some of the difficulty settings above the absolute simplest mode, then the plots wouldn't have been constructed since Red Rocket had nothing in its virtual storage to construct them with, but I could have given it a jumpstart by manually putting junk (like the stuff I recovered from Station Olivia!) into its virtual storage up until I get the industrial plots going. I may just do that and see if I can swing building up Abernathy Farm that way (although it looks like Abernathy Farm will already have people in it, so that will make the start-up a bit easier)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

beware the triangle of death. sanctuary, red rocket, abernathy: pick one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ah crap yeah about that. I guess I'll have to skip Abernathy Farm entirely. Good call.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have gotten way more entertainment time out of SS/Conqueror/SS2 than I ever would have from the base game, SS2 is pretty much a strategy game once you get it going.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zodium posted:

beware the triangle of death. sanctuary, red rocket, abernathy: pick one.

What does this mean?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epi Lepi posted:

What does this mean?

You shouldn't build up all three of them because they're so close together that it causes instability when they're all developed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like, game-crashing instability, or is that some sort of in-game term? LITR does include SS2 but I haven't interacted with it 1 bit

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Creation Engine games load the map in "cells", like squares on a chessboard. Generally it'll load the one you're in and the surrounding ones. Sanctuary/Red Rocket/Abernathy are in neighboring cells and as such the game often needs to load two or even all of them at the same time. With all the scripts going on it'll easily lead to a crash in SS2 if you've fully built up more than one of them.

I think Baka MaxPapyrusOps would help mitigate this with how drastically it raises the script limit, but I wouldn't risk my playthrough on it.

e:

Sab669 posted:

Like, game-crashing instability, or is that some sort of in-game term? LITR does include SS2 but I haven't interacted with it 1 bit

Crash to desktop. On the first playthrough where I tried SS2 I didn't know about the Triangle of Death I ended up building up more than one of them. The consequence of this was that leaving Sanctuary via the bridge became a guaranteed crash to desktop. This was possible to avoid by taking a much more circuitous route, but I wouldn't recommend it.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 8, 2024

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sab669 posted:

Yeah, crashes. That said there's a variety of mods now that increase the script limit enough to mitigate it. Long as you don't slap massive city plots on all three you're likely fine.

I usually just turn red rocket into a player home and build up sanctuary a bunch and abernathy a bit less.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sab669 posted:

It's mostly an issue when you load the area quickly. Fast travel is problematic, vertibirds are worse, and God help you if you've used a scrap everything mod while you were at it.

SS2 specifically suggests that even if you build them up, only put one with an automation plan/mayor.

I personally haven't had any issues putting codsworth in charge of sanctuary, slapping a few defense/recreation plots over at Abernathy, and building 20 vanilla scrap stations at Red rocket. But I did make starlight my first settlement for all the SS2 quest stuff and sent Preston away so I don't need to go up there much/ever.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 8, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sab669 posted:

game crashing, sometimes save-destroying instability

they are in the same 'cell' in gamebryo engine terms, and when you enter the cell they're in all their associated Sim Settlements bullshit has to load at the same time in a high function mode (normally when you are out of the cell all your settlements' SS crap runs in a simplified mode) and this often is too big/complex a load for the engine and it blows up.

Azhais posted:

I personally haven't had any issues putting codsworth in charge of sanctuary, slapping a few defense/recreation plots over at Abernathy, and building 20 vanilla scrap stations at Red rocket. But I did make starlight my first settlement for all the SS2 quest stuff and sent Preston away so I don't need to go up there much/ever.

yeah it's not so bad if you're just building vanilla stuff, it's all the script load and a whole lot of script-space data structures that can/often do blow up.
e: if you are doing anything script intensive in FO4 (and SS2 definitely is) you probably want this mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46340 Baka ScrapHeap - Script Memory Limit Expander
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47327 Address Library for F4SE Plugins prereq

e: I checked and those appear to be up to date for the current "next gen" FO4 version

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it safe yet to update to the next gen patch? Or are we still waiting for F4SE?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Is there a mod that automatically removes the ugly glow effect every model has? Basically something that inputs "cl off" into console every time I boot the game, so I don't have to do it myself

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
You should be able to get the game to auto run the command on boot.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1676938384258945680/

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Nice, thanks!

I can't begin to fathom why cl is even enabled in the first place

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
playing the wabbajack modpack Wasteland Reborn, and it doesn't seem like Nuka-World and Automaton are unlocking? I'm level 84 and I've not got the quests yet. I asked on their discord but no one responded.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even if the radio isn't working (I don't think I've /ever/ gotten the Nuka world quest cue), you can walk to the location and kick it off (for nw anyway)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azhais posted:

Even if the radio isn't working (I don't think I've /ever/ gotten the Nuka world quest cue), you can walk to the location and kick it off (for nw anyway)

You should be able to do the same by going to the caravan ambush site for Automatron.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
ty for the info

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Arivia posted:

You should be able to do the same by going to the caravan ambush site for Automatron.

hmm, automotron doesen't seem to have spawned, the area where its supposed to be is empty. nuka world's nuka train is there, but the quest didnt assign when i entered.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
oop, no i needed to enter the subway.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I've been playing Viva New Vegas and loving it. Will the extended dialogue mod be something I want to check out for sure? Because it's been a long time since I've played Fallout 4, but I saw a meme yesterday showing the Mass Effect style Fallout 4 conversation selection wheel and felt sad.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I've been playing Viva New Vegas and loving it. Will the extended dialogue mod be something I want to check out for sure? Because it's been a long time since I've played Fallout 4, but I saw a meme yesterday showing the Mass Effect style Fallout 4 conversation selection wheel and felt sad.

It might as well be mandatory for fallout 4.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a mod for FO4 that lets you see exactly what you're about to say whenever you pick a given option

as well as one that makes Nate/Nora silent, just like in all the previous Fallouts

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I've been playing Viva New Vegas and loving it.

Good news, VNV has a sister guide for Fallout 4, called The Midnight Ride. I haven't tried it myself, but it shares the same principles, so it should work fairly well.

e: New patch coming up
https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1788947199734305235?t=72ol66Sfco_AYOiANJj9YA&s=19

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 10, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New options for graphics and performance settings sounds like console features.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Will adding sim settlement break my older saves?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes. As a rule of thumb, unless you know exactly what you’re doing never add a mod mid-game. And 100% absolutely never remove mods mid-game, that will literally never work.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Except weapon and other gear mods, and textures and sounds. Unless they do some really funky stuff beyond being equippable items etc.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

probably not. it's not ideal, but the game generally handles adding mods mid-save pretty well. just don't try to remove them again.

back up the save and load order though.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 10, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’ve been doing vanilla, I’m just wondering about mods.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’ve been doing vanilla, I’m just wondering about mods.

SS2 can be added to an existing save, though they recommend starting a new game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sandepande posted:

Except weapon and other gear mods, and textures and sounds. Unless they do some really funky stuff beyond being equippable items etc.

The thing is, you have to be absolutely sure if something's getting added to the worldspace how it's being added to the worldspace or the game.

If it's just "Bob's Cool Gun, you can find it on a stump in a backyard in Sanctuary" you're probably fine unless you have another mod that changes the geography of Sanctuary significantly. If it's "Bob's Cool Gun, has a chance to drop from Gunners" then that can mess with Gunner levelled lists (loot/equipment tables) until the game resets itself internally (which generally takes about 4 days of resting).

But even worse, if you have a working mod that affects Gunner levelled lists, and then you add Bob's Cool Gun on top of that, if you don't know to run a patcher to merge the levelled list changes, then everything you had from the previous mod is gone (in that respect). So now you're wondering why "Gunners Don't Have Guns and are all called Knifers now" isn't working, it may not be apparent that Bob's Cool Gun is why.

This is assuming there's no dirty pointless edits in the mods for example. I forget exactly which one it is, but there's a good mod for New Vegas that for some reason has water height edits to a lot of cells and there's no reason why, it's just an accident and it's pretty old so you know to patch those edits out afterwards. But if you didn't know that, if you installed it, well now a bunch of water is hosed mid-game and you don't know why.

And even worse, if something is hosed and you don't know it's hosed for ages until after hours more of play, then you're trying to troubleshoot an existing save game without breaking it. And removing mods could gently caress up your load order, which then leads to orphan/broken scripts, and then your save is ruined and you probably don't even realize it for a few more hours until everything just crashes.

Adding mods is one of those things where it feels fine and then hours down the line it turns out you've hosed your hundred hour save because of it. And although I haven't touched it personally, SS2 includes tons of new everything, it's a huge overhaul, it's exactly the kind of thing where it's gonna touch a million records and stuff is gonna get wonky and not work right the same way. And that's not really the existing saves' fault, or SS2's fault, or MonsieurChoc's fault, it's just a huge mod like that is exactly the kind of thing you don't want to install midgame. If it was "Bob's Cool Gun" on that stump in Sanctuary I'd be far less dogmatic.

e: if you're going from vanilla and SS2 itself says it's fine to install mid-game, then they know better than me. Rock on, MonsieurChoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Yeah, I tend to take a look at a weapon mod to see what it does. I use those rarely, though - I don't like to turn my Fallout into a COD wannbe, and the Lewis assault rifle is the most fabulous anyway.