Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I know people never want to leave DBD but Dragon Ball the Breakers has stole my heart. It's really good and doesn't have the core issues of DBD. The gatcha hate is overblown. It's only bad if you are, like me, new and trying to catch up. But I've done well without the meta skills. Then I got the meta skills and don't need them. The way raiders work and change over the course of a match is what makes the game interesting. Just a suggestion.

TCM released an update with a penalty for lobby dodging. It's an overdue change. Still mad at the devs though. But maybe they will get it together.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Broly still super oppressive? I haven't played Breakers in a while but he was ridiculously OP on launch and while fitting lore wise it made playing against him very unfun. Felt like I never won a game outside the hatch equiv after he released.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

temple posted:

I know people never want to leave DBD

I mean, read the thread, 3/4 of the posters here hate the game.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Broly still super oppressive? I haven't played Breakers in a while but he was ridiculously OP on launch and while fitting lore wise it made playing against him very unfun. Felt like I never won a game outside the hatch equiv after he released.
No, Goku Black is the new hotness. Broly has never felt op to me and people aren't high on him. Maybe it's the super transphere. Maybe he was stronger in the past.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean DBD isn’t exactly great on new players either. They even moved nine solid perks for new players back to paid DLC when ST returned lol

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

I mean, read the thread, 3/4 of the posters here hate the game.

:laffo:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
DBD is one of those games that I personally love, but I wouldn't recommend it to most of my friends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lonjon posted:

DBD is one of those games that I personally love, but I wouldn't recommend it to most of my friends.

Yeah pretty much same. It's just far, far too new player unfriendly. Long rear end grind to unlock perks, most of the best perks in the game require a purchase...I'm like 2300 hours into the game and I'm still awful at it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I absolutely would never recommend DBD to a new player. There's way too much to learn, too much grind to go through even with the bloodweb improvements, it's really not friendly to newcomers.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

The time investment is one thing, but what really stops me from recommending it to people is the fundamental flaws and, more than that, the hideously toxic community.

I'm okay with games taking a while to learn, but the more you get into it and out of newbie levels, the more you get treated like poo poo just for existing. All by an embittered pack of assholes who refuse to quit a game they're excruciatingly tired of because they've put too much time/money into it and instead make that everyone else's problem. Who purposely choose strategies they think will be painful and unfun for the other side, and those strategies exist unfettered because who gives a gently caress about fundamental game balance or even basic tenets of "is this fun to play against" when you can knock a few percentage points off the most used perks every couple months to "shake up the meta".

Why would I ever recommend someone get into it at this point? Memorize dozens of killers, hundreds of perks on both sides, dozens of semi-randomized maps, mechanically demanding strategies that don't always transfer to every situation, only to get told to kill yourself and uninstall because to them you are the spiritual embodiment of every Boil Over bitch or Bubba bleedout they've ever encountered.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Tiny Myers posted:

This is a good post, and to add to it, I think it's important in these times to note a sentiment I've heard from a LOT of QA testers: just because you see a bug does not mean a QA tester didn't see it and flag it. QA testers can and do report bugs that get ignored by the dev team, sometimes even quite literally flagged as non-issues then closed despite repeated bug reports. It frustrates the QA testers just as much or even more than it frustrates the players, especially because they're often the ones who get blamed for it on top of being a field that is already undervalued and underpaid. A bug reported does not automatically mean a bug fixed.

The question is very rarely "Why did no one bug test this?" and more often "Why did the dev team ignore the QA team and/or consider so many of these bugs to be trivial?"... or even "Why did upper management let the PTB go out in this condition knowing how many severe bugs they had left to fix?".

A fun addition to this is if you keep them open, after a while of deciding they aren't a priority management will go "oh well clearly these are never going to be fixed, might as well close them". Would you like a record of issues? gently caress you the numbers looked bad with so many open issues, so we just closed them. Now the numbers look good! Nothings been fixed. The record of bugs has been archived. But the number of open issues is lower and that is good.

Literally had a p1 last week that was one of these because an exec experienced it, so now its important enough to fix. Now! Fix it right now!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The fastest way to get a bug fixed is to set up a sitcom situation where you bamboozle the boss into experiencing it first hand at which point without fail they will launch into a hypocrisy trope and demand it be addressed.

Hell I was watching a history of DbD balance disasters vid and they got WE DID A PRETTY GOOD JOB man to fix flashlights after a team of professional survivors stunlocked him as hag with blinds for a minute straight.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Quick thread poll! What are your top 5 maps and bottom 5 maps? I was talking a bit about it today on social media and was wondering what everyone else thought :)

Top 5 DBD maps for me:

💕 The Game 💕
Lery's
RCPD (any variation)
Corn (any variation)
Midwich

Bottom 5 DBD maps for me:

Yamaoka
I am so goddamn loving sick of Suffocation Pit
Badham
Borgo
🔥 loving GOD drat SWAMP NEVER SEND ME TO SWAMP 🔥

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

Quick thread poll! What are your top 5 maps and bottom 5 maps? I was talking a bit about it today on social media and was wondering what everyone else thought :)

Top 5 DBD maps for me:

💕 The Game 💕
Lery's
RCPD (any variation)
Corn (any variation)
Midwich

Yamaoka
Badham
Borgo

Literally just swap your lists for me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

Literally just swap your lists for me.

I can understand everything except swamp. Why swamp. loving swamp sucks so god drat much

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Depends on the killer but as a stethy boi, love me some indoor maps

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

I can understand everything except swamp. Why swamp. loving swamp sucks so god drat much

I play mostly survivor these days and swamp is pretty nice as a survivor

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Top 5 DBD maps for me:

💕 The Game 💕
Lery's
RCPD (any variation)
Corn (any variation)
Midwich

Yamaoka
Badham
Borgo

Swap your lists for me too. gently caress the game. Pallet city over there. Feels like every time I play Pig I get sent there and it pisses me off every time it happens.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah The Game is a loving travesty of a map. It was hammered home on a recent Otz stream (he's doing a Nice Guy streak where he tries to hook everyone twice before killing anyone) where the survivors were playing like poo poo and constantly loving up, and still ended up comfortably getting a win because there were pallets upon pallets upon pallets upon loving pallets EVERYWHERE.

It's another one of those cool things where they added a shitload of pallets to The Game to balance it out due to some imbalance that existed in the game at the time, then fixed the imbalance and didn't bother taking the pallets out. So now the map loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 13, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love The Game because I usually go there by chance when I play Doctor. :twisted:

I also find that mass pallets are easier to win a battle of attrition through than maps with stronger loops.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, I think Doctor is one of the few killers who doesn't absolutely suck rear end to play on The Game because his power benefits a lot from the two floors. Chucky was also decent until they decided he shouldn't scamper anymore, and it was also one of the few maps that had decent amounts of lockers for the Dredge.

But man, I have some loving nightmares about those pallets.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Last time I went there as a survivor it was an ultimate weapon huntress and I still have mental scarring from that match

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah I guess I'm biased because my two mains are Pinhead and Nurse, who are both extremely mean on The Game. :v:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah I guess I'm biased because my two mains are Pinhead and Nurse, who are both extremely mean on The Game. :v:

Pig/Artist main. Artist can go either way on that map depending on how on the ball the survivors are, Pig just gets thrashed every time.

I will admit that my Badham ranking entirely depends on basement spawn. If it's in main, it's a serviceable map. If it's in shack then it's pure hell. If a swf does a badham+shack basement offering and brings the usual anti-hook builds, then it should be considered crimes against humanity. Also I like Hawkins because I'm a weirdo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Twitter just teased a new game mode (Chaos Shuffle, another modifier, or something else entirely?) and…cross-progression! Finally!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Twitter just teased a new game mode (Chaos Shuffle, another modifier, or something else entirely?) and…cross-progression! Finally!

Chaos Shuffle is the random perk loadout mode we've all been clamoring for. Still annoyed there's no way to just randomize my own perks and go into a normal match like that but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

Chaos Shuffle is the random perk loadout mode we've all been clamoring for. Still annoyed there's no way to just randomize my own perks and go into a normal match like that but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

There's external sites for it, but yeah, I wish there was just an ingame button. Give me a bloodpoint bonus for doing it, too! I'll do that poo poo all the time!

Maybe we should start putting out thread challenges like "I dare you to try (insert build here)". How about it, Relyssa? You want a Tiny Myers-assigned build? :v:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

There's external sites for it, but yeah, I wish there was just an ingame button. Give me a bloodpoint bonus for doing it, too! I'll do that poo poo all the time!

Maybe we should start putting out thread challenges like "I dare you to try (insert build here)". How about it, Relyssa? You want a Tiny Myers-assigned build? :v:

I won't be able to play it right away but yes, lay it on me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Man it'll be nice if they add PS5 -> PC cross progression, I've been putting in codes and login bonuses to my PS5 account for like 3 years so it's got 16 million BPs hahaha.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tiny Myers posted:

Top 5 DBD maps for me:

💕 The Game 💕
Lery's
RCPD (any variation)
Corn (any variation)
Midwich

Yamaoka
Badham
Borgo

There's only one terrible set of maps and it's the Farm tileset.

gently caress corn, burn it all. At least swamp's stuff is spread out instead of literal fields of loving corn.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

There's only one terrible set of maps and it's the Farm tileset.

gently caress corn, burn it all. At least swamp's stuff is spread out instead of literal fields of loving corn.

My main gripe with the swamp map is I can never for the life of me find the hatch on it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Relyssa posted:

My main gripe with the swamp map is I can never for the life of me find the hatch on it.

If it's Grim Pantry, 50/50 it's in the little lower floor room in main or outside of Shack. If it's Pale Rose? God help you.

Tiny Myers posted:

I main Wraith and it's entirely addon dependent. If I'm using a kick poo poo addon, that whole map becomes a deadzone in like 2 gens because exactly what happened in that Otz game will happen to me - Survivors running from guaranteed spawn safe pallet to guaranteed spawn safe pallet and wait for me to uncloak 3/4 of the way before dropping it. Then I kick it apart in a third of a second.
And then I bring speed/uncloak addons and get my poo poo kicked in over the course of 10 and a half very long minutes.

I kind of have the same issue on Midwich. Sure it's small and chases that start on the second floor are usually over quick, but Midwich is NOT friendly to no-mobility M1 killers. All the pallets are either openly visible or MUST be broken, and the whole map is a series of predictable circles. If you can't move between floors fast, and you can't deal with pallets Midwich is gonna suck even though it's supposedly the strongest killer map in the game.

Also gently caress Gas Heaven.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Swamp is the only map that allows things to spawn all the way against the outer wall. Gens, totems, hatch, etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

I kind of have the same issue on Midwich. Sure it's small and chases that start on the second floor are usually over quick, but Midwich is NOT friendly to no-mobility M1 killers. All the pallets are either openly visible or MUST be broken, and the whole map is a series of predictable circles. If you can't move between floors fast, and you can't deal with pallets Midwich is gonna suck even though it's supposedly the strongest killer map in the game.

Midwich is only tolerable if you're playing nurse. In every other situation it's a miserable nightmare.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

I won't be able to play it right away but yes, lay it on me.

Stake Out
Distortion
Diversion
Autodidact

Behold. This build is about one thing and one thing only: stonks

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Stake Out
Distortion
Diversion
Autodidact

Behold. This build is about one thing and one thing only: stonks

this is stupid and i love it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Midwich is only tolerable if you're playing nurse. In every other situation it's a miserable nightmare.

I'll take Midwich any day of the week with any killer over many other maps. Nice and small, predictable and the loops don't change that much. It was a pain when the hooks were bugged but now I'm super happy when I get it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If you all want a really really stupid build:

Blast mine,
Alert,
Red Herring
Lucky star.

Work on a gen, blast mine it, run away, enter a locker to trigger red herring, leave the locker and use lucky star to see the nearest gen to you now, start working on it and enjoy watching the killer blast mine himself from a safe distance with alert. Rinse, and repeat.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh what a fun idea. :3: I will accept idiot killer builds and nominate one of my old favorites:

Oppression
Eruption
Brutal Strength
Call of Brine OR Overcharge
Dragon's Grip OR Unforseen OR Trail of Torment

Why think when you can kick? You could swap them around and use Overcharge and Brine together, pretty sure they nerfed the bug from a year or so ago, though they both roughly do the same thing with either more info from Brine or a trap for Overcharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really love Tier 3 Wesker, Starstruck/Make Your Choice/Hubris/NOED. gently caress you you're exposed *all the time*

Technically works on most killers but Wesker has his ridiculous terror radius to catch people with Starstruck