Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re visiting Dallas and went to a coffee shop that sells pourovers, as recommended by this thread. As it turned out, their drinks comes out of a machine where the employee just taps a button on a touch screen :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
If you're in North Dallas I recommend Native Coffee. Other than that I like Ascension and Merit for picking up beans but have been a bit underwhelmed by their in store brews.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

Is there a known problem with Nespresso Vertuo machines crapping out with recent pods or what

My wife has a vertup (the one that makes a full size cup of coffee from a half golf ball pod, not the smaller espresso pod system that's thimble sized) since before I met her, about 18 months ago it started having problems and we decided to replace it just assuming it was old. The new one has crapped out within 4 months

Our water is pretty average, I have fish and decorative shrimp so I'm testing it pretty regularly

We called their hotline and they were able to diagnose the "red ring of death" but it's failed twice again since then

Not having reliable coffee in the house has been a real disaster, we're thinking about switching over to k-cups

Thoughts?

just make normal coffee with hot water and ground coffee beans like a human being

it adds like a minute to the whole process if you're using a good automatic machine or like four minutes if you're boiling the water in a kettle and doing manual pourover or french press. A moka takes five minutes.

the pods do nothing meaningful except generate waste and give money to nestle which is one of the most comically evil companies in the world

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Is there a known problem with Nespresso Vertuo machines crapping out with recent pods or what

My wife has a vertup (the one that makes a full size cup of coffee from a half golf ball pod, not the smaller espresso pod system that's thimble sized) since before I met her, about 18 months ago it started having problems and we decided to replace it just assuming it was old. The new one has crapped out within 4 months

Our water is pretty average, I have fish and decorative shrimp so I'm testing it pretty regularly

We called their hotline and they were able to diagnose the "red ring of death" but it's failed twice again since then

Not having reliable coffee in the house has been a real disaster, we're thinking about switching over to k-cups

Thoughts?

A recent James Hoffman youtube video claims there can be a problem with knockoff pods in genuine nespresso machines. If you're not using Authentic Nespresso TM pods, that might have something to do with it. I'm thoroughly squicked out by the concept of DRM for coffee so I won't do any more research and encourage you to buy a drip coffee maker instead; the oxo 8 cup makes good coffee and has a convenient single cup mode. Otherwise good luck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

an induction burner and a melita can make a cup of coffee just as fast as a keurig that needs to preheat, with about the same amount of mess and cleanup.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm not arguing that there are better ways to make coffee. This is how my wife has been drinking coffee before we met and before we had a kid I'm not super interested in forcing her into doing another method

No these are genuine Nespresso pods right from the factory store in the mall

Maybe we just got extremely unlucky and had a failure under warranty on our new one right after the old one died... In exactly the same way

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
sounds like you should’ve picked a better wife

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

She's quite alright thank you for your opinion

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean I guess you can keep buying nespresso machines

they make some expensive ($200-$500) ones that cost as much as some real top of the line automatic drip machines and even some heat pump espresso makers. If it’s worth it to you then those might be commensurately better built and more reliable than the plastic fantastic customer lock-in models that populate your average big box store, but a lot of them are the same/all too similar plastic internals inside of a nicer metal housing, so definitely do your research and maybe watch a teardown or two.

I’ve heard the more expensive Delonghi models and Breville models are better than the more basic/first-party stuff. My dad has a not-cheap Breville nespresso pod machine that he really likes and it’s been in use for like four or five years at this point, but it was like $350 or $400 or something like that.

in all seriousness, check the internet about your specific machine. If it’s a popular machine then there are undoubtedly 1) a bunch of people who have experienced the same issue that you have and might have some learned wisdom to impart 2) detailed repair/maintenance/hot rodding guides that will show you how to DIY a fix (you’re a handy dude. I’ve complimented you on your old French nipple car and your impending hot rod build. Taking apart and fixing a coffee machine is probably within your wheelhouse) 3) replacement and upgrade parts for common failure points.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm just curious if this is a larger issue. We did all the research already which is why I'm in GWS for the first time in two years looking for a better answer

We have the breville model, it's made in the same factory as XYZ probably the delognghi we got it on sale at Target for $95 over Christmas so I'm skeptical of any quality improvements there if they're cobranding a single production line

Anyways I was looking for additional intel but this doesn't appear to be the thread for it cheers

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm not arguing that there are better ways to make coffee. This is how my wife has been drinking coffee before we met and before we had a kid I'm not super interested in forcing her into doing another method

No these are genuine Nespresso pods right from the factory store in the mall

Maybe we just got extremely unlucky and had a failure under warranty on our new one right after the old one died... In exactly the same way

Most likely just bad luck then. The nespresso machines, especially the cheap ones, are cost engineered to hell, so they crap out but there isn't really a systemic problem other than the ones you're already aware of, and which kcups share

sorry we couldn't be more helpful

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hadlock posted:

We have the breville model, it's made in the same factory as XYZ probably the delognghi we got it on sale at Target for $95 over Christmas so I'm skeptical of any quality improvements there if they're cobranding a single production line
For any kind of espresso machine, $95 is scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel and the only thing you should expect from it is that every possible quality corner was cut in order to sell it at that price point. This is definitely one area where spending more will get you not only better quality equipment, but possibly better coffee too.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Had this thing start popping up on my instagram reels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Rh93UJcfE&t=403s

was gonna say 400EUR seems a bit pricey compared to like a flair classic, but I guess it's cheaper than the flair 58 or the robot

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not in the same use case as a 58 or Robot though... For home use, I'd get a Flair neo for $100 including pressure gauge and expect much better outcomes than that. The correct competitor is the picopresso for travel / camping ultra portable.

I'd also preheat it three times for medium or light roast, which isn't too tough

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

was gonna say 400EUR seems a bit pricey compared to like a flair classic, but I guess it's cheaper than the flair 58 or the robot

Emanuale, only on Cinemax

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

It’s super nice.

Id rather go for a picopresso for portability tbh, or an Outin Nano for outdoor usage and travel. Both of those are much, much cheaper. The former does proper espresso and the latter is capable of heating water on its own, but it’s a pressurized basket.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.unsw.edu.au/newsroom/news/2024/05/Ultrasonic_cold_brew_coffee_ready_under_three_minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDL4uqSMY0

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I think they've voided the warranty on that machine.

A lot of the time the criticisms of ultrasonic extraction is that the profile is not quite as deep as it would be, but I can see how this might not be an issue for cold brewing coffee. The method itself isn't as comprehensive an extraction as hot brewing, so ultrasonic would probably do a comparable job.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

trilobite terror posted:

Emanuale, only on Cinemax

Holy poo poo there are some neurons I didn't expect would be accessed today!

In space!

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

BrianBoitano posted:

Hi, you may remember me as "that guy who won't shut up about the Flair Pro 2, creating fanboy videos and guesting on podcasts about it". As of a few days ago, I truly thought it was endgame for me.

Along comes an Argos
https://youtu.be/nJUFRXlNIl0

The machine still needs some babying, but seems like a big step change up from the Flair 58, with its PID boiler and actually having a steam wand and reasonable back to back shot times. Definitely on my "if I get a big Christmas bonus for a change" list!

Didn't get a chance to watch the video yet, but this thing looks like a La Pavoni clone with a bigger basket and I'm here for it. I love my La Pavoni and how simple it is. Getting the artistry and muscle memory for pulling consistent manual shots has been really satisfying. It's especially fun to have friends pull their shot and then conpare theirs to mine for flavor and extraction differences. I've learned a lot about the brew just from the manual input. The addition of the milk frother and all in one setup in a compact and aesthetic machine is what sold me on La Pavoni and this looks like a refinement of a classic design.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I like the odyssey despite its faults.

What I don’t like is the waiting period or how he conveniently raised the price the day after Lance announced he’d received it and was going to post a review soon.

That being said, I probably would buy one if I could get it within a month.

Also being said, I can’t improve the workflow of my robot + Niche zero combo. It’s too loving easy to clean and puck prep with little maintenance or foolishness involved of other machines.

I bit the bullet and bought a nanofoamer pro. One use in and I really like it so far. Even managed latte art straight out of the pitcher. I thought about the morning dream but I don’t think it will be an option anytime soon with the kickstarter status.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah manual for life

Most deep dive nerd out (or sperg out) videos are about managing grind consistency and puck prep so your dumb constant pressure, no flow control machine doesn't blow a channel through the grounds. Really most issues of concern should have a caveat "you can compensate for this if you can use a Decent or gagguino or needle valve or manual lever to adjust on the fly"

Including Lance's video he released today, which basically said be careful of 6bar shots since your puck might degrade too quickly. Not if I ease back on the pressure :cheers:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm definitely envious of Robot and Argos owners - It's been roughly a year since I backed the Meticulous Kickstarter - They're right on the cusp of getting mass production under way, so I'm optimistic I'll get it by early Fall.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll sign up to beta test an early Meticulous machine so I don't have to wait longer for mass production to get around to building mine. They've stressed they will replace any units with problems. I was backer 231, and they expect to have ~200 units built by July.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Buy a $100 Flair Neo Flex, use it for 3-5 months while you wait, sell it for *checks ebay* $70-80 once the Meticulous is in (or longer if you have a defect...)

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I just wanna modify my previous comments after watching that Argos video...

It essentially has an answer for every gripe I had about the La Pavoni. If I had the space and patience to get another machine I'm afraid I'd already have a pre-order in... My only complaint about the Argos is I'm not a huge fan of the crazy digital app poo poo that seems to be attached to so many things these days. One of the best parts about owning a fully manual machine is that I can replace, repair, re-solder, modify, upgrade, you name it, because the parts and pieces are simple. I always fear adding too many failures points to a tried and true design, but maybe that's just me being paranoid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is this the thread to ask about fun coffee go to tumblers? I want something to take my morning coffee onto the bus. I want it to be actually drinkable so I don't want it to keep the coffee at 100C/212F degrees for 69 hours. I don't want something hard to clean, so a screw top lid is ideal (in my experience anything that has a sippy hole with some kind of mechanism to close it is hard to clean). And I want it to be "fun" meaning not another matte black mug.

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-travel-mugs-5191838

I like the "Kinto" tumbler here cause of the colorful colors but I don't really like the $40 price tag.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 10, 2024

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've got a Wacaco insulated tumbler and really like it. Screw top lid that seems pretty leak proof, stays warm for a while. Nice shape and materials too, the design is a bit different from most, gets a lot of comments from baristas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

it dont matter posted:

I've got a Wacaco insulated tumbler and really like it. Screw top lid that seems pretty leak proof, stays warm for a while. Nice shape and materials too, the design is a bit different from most, gets a lot of comments from baristas.

Well they've got a yellow one which is pretty fun in my opinion.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Buy a boring but excellent mug and add stickers for fun

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this the thread to ask about fun coffee go to tumblers? I want something to take my morning coffee onto the bus. I want it to be actually drinkable so I don't want it to keep the coffee at 100C/212F degrees for 69 hours. I don't want something hard to clean, so a screw top lid is ideal (in my experience anything that has a sippy hole with some kind of mechanism to close it is hard to clean). And I want it to be "fun" meaning not another matte black mug.

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-travel-mugs-5191838

I like the "Kinto" tumbler here cause of the colorful colors but I don't really like the $40 price tag.
I literally just went through this research process and ended up with a Zojirushi.

Was initially gonna go with a Fellow Carter but there are tons of reviews of it starting to stink after a while — something to do with the inner surface absorbing the coffee. And Fellow was very unhelpful to those customers.

I also have a Kinto and it’s perfectly fine. Tumblers aren’t that distinctive from one another.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maybe just pick one of the 30 varieties of insulated stainless bottles that are available? Kleen Kanteen, Yeti, Hydroflask, etc?

That said, Zojirushi is the correct option because if you get the beverage to just slightly above the temp you want, putting it in the thermos will drop its temp a bit and then it stays exactly at that temp for an absurdly long time.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I've got a kinto, zojirushi, fellow carter (freebie when I bought a clearance ode), and a yeti tumbler (gift from family). A v60 doesn't fit on the mouth of zoji so that's an annoyance. The kinto is nice but the stainless interior picks up stains/odors if you're just handwashing it - it needs to be dishwashed. The yeti has too much branding. At the moment I drink a v60 basically every morning and I really like the carter - I use it around the house with no lid and it's the right size, keeps it hot but not too hot, comfortable to hold, and easy to clean - basically just rinse it out and wipe the rim down. No issues with odors with the carter. I do have big hands and the carter is noticeably girthy - the kinto (thinner) and zoji (thinnest) might be nicer for folks with smaller hands.

The kinto, carter, and zoji all have very tight-fitting screw-on lids, which is great if you need to throw them in a bag for your commute. The kinto and zoji have complicated lids which are a pain to clean (best option is to dishwash). The carter has a one-piece lid which is easy to clean, but means when the mug is open, it's fully open, so perhaps not the best if you're having coffee while walking around, driving, or riding the train. The zoji and yeti have the best lids for this IMO - the yeti lid slides in rather than screws on, so you can't seal it up and throw it in a bag, but it has a little toggle to cover the drinking hole, so won't spill as long as it stays mostly upright. It's basically like a big takeout cup. The zoji lid seals up very tight and, like the yeti, can be opened one-handed, but you don't get any aroma from the cup and can only take very small sips. The zoji is by far my least favorite to drink from so I like to have a small tumbler to pour into if I'm using it, but it works really well for its design goals. The kinto is my choice for commuting but needs two hands to open.

The kinto, carter, and zoji will all keep your drink much too hot to drink for much longer than you'd like to wait to drink it if you leave them sealed. The carter's big open mouth means it loses heat fastest if you keep it open, but for me only the very last sips are cooler than I would prefer, and I like my coffee hot. The kinto and zoji need to stand open for a bit (or add a lot of milk) to get to a drinkable temperature, but will keep it there for a long long time. The yeti cools off relatively quick even with the lid on, and the last third or so can be cold if you've left the lid off.

I should also mention the ember mug here - it's kind of an overkill solution to the problem but it works very well. You can set it to any temperature you want and it's always exactly the same temperature, even down to the last sips. It's perfect for the kind of person who absentmindedly puts a cup of coffee down and then finds it again hours later and is disappointed when it is cold, because in the ember mug, it will still be the ideal drinking temperature. On the other hand it's another thing to charge, which does feel a little cursed. The tradeoffs will be worth it for some, though.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 10, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have the cheapo Contigo mug. My wife has a zojirushi. No experience with the others on SE's list.

Contigo holds temp enough for me. Doesn't hold onto flavors or odors. The lid does have a button / lock which works well except if you have ice or if you take it on an airplane. Ice shards can get stuck in the opening, keeping it from closing. In an airplane, the changing pressure causes spills if your mug gets tipped. Otherwise it's fine.

The button / lock is easy to clean since it just goes in the dishwasher - and for that I prefer it over the zoji. The latter does keep the drinks hotter and the seal is better, but it's a PITA to wash.

hypnophant posted:

The kinto and zoji have complicated lids which are a pain to clean (best option is to dishwash).

This would be great, but officially zoji lids are not dishwasher safe, and plenty of Amazon reviews say they tried but now it doesn't seal well over time if you dishwash it :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nalgene with moti stickers

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

This would be great, but officially zoji lids are not dishwasher safe, and plenty of Amazon reviews say they tried but now it doesn't seal well over time if you dishwash it :(

i pull out the little inner mouthpiece and silicone stopper and dishwash those (in a section of the cutlery basket), rather than throwing the whole thing in there, and have not had any problems. The outer lid isn't exactly flimsy but I can see how the hinge or some parts of the catch might warp.

I will say that the yeti has one of the nicest lids to clean apart from one-piece lids like the carter. it's just a flat piece of polycarbonate with a little magnetic toggle that pops on and off. everything comes apart and wipes down in two seconds and it's also very tactile and fun to fiddle with when you're sitting there on the bus or whatever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

i pull out the little inner mouthpiece and silicone stopper and dishwash those (in a section of the cutlery basket), rather than throwing the whole thing in there, and have not had any problems. The outer lid isn't exactly flimsy but I can see how the hinge or some parts of the catch might warp.

I will say that the yeti has one of the nicest lids to clean apart from one-piece lids like the carter. it's just a flat piece of polycarbonate with a little magnetic toggle that pops on and off. everything comes apart and wipes down in two seconds and it's also very tactile and fun to fiddle with when you're sitting there on the bus or whatever.

Haha my wife uses the Yeti for her water, and yeah it's a fun fidget toy and the top parts go in the dishwasher for us. But it's also awful for spills - not just leaks but easily dislodges the lid if something bumps up against it.

So good vessel if you always have it upright / in a cup holder

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I love my Carter and got a second one of a different size. They're deceptively spacious and keep poo poo warm forever. Sometimes you don't want it warm forever. Sometimes you want to sip it without burning yourself on public transit.

These are great for getting the coffee to a destination and enjoying it decanted there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used a Zojirushi for a long time but then switched to a Kinto and it is better for drinking straight out of. The Zoji is better if you will be transporting somewhere then pouring into a normal mug. Otherwise it keeps stuff too hot for drinking unless you leave the lid open for a while.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BrianBoitano posted:

Haha my wife uses the Yeti for her water, and yeah it's a fun fidget toy and the top parts go in the dishwasher for us. But it's also awful for spills - not just leaks but easily dislodges the lid if something bumps up against it.

So good vessel if you always have it upright / in a cup holder

This is something that has always confused me a little bit when it comes to the nomenclature of these vessels. Sometimes a "tumbler" is a leakproof thermos you can toss in a bag, and sometimes it's just meant to be splash-resistant so you can carry it to and from the car while commuting. Definitions may also include whether it has a handle or not, though I can't imagine why that matters at all.

Anyway, when it comes to temperature management, I think your best bet is to get a really good insulator and let it cool to an appropriate temperature before pouring/sealing it. Trying to aim for something that cools off just enough over an arbitrary period of time feels like it'll lead to disappointment more often than not. The Zojirushi is great for this, though the opening is just a little too small for the Kalita Wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I really like the artist series designs for the fellow Carter mugs.

People who complain about smell, are they leaving the coffee sitting in it? I usually clean mine after drinking it. I also drink coffee black, so there’s no sugar or milk.