Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bandai Namco may be up there with some mind boggling dumb decisions but they're not quite put all their eggs in one basket dumb or Xbox division dumb. I imagine they'll make sure core Gundam projects get funded along with whatever weird experiments they do

Yeah, Bandai spent a ton of money on the Metaverse (130 million... which doesn't look as big comparing it to blockbuster budgets, but it's still a ton of money.) but I suspect that's in large part because they've been making money hand over fist with Gundam since the pandemic started, and they're basically burning it to try to find the next big hit. Sure, there might sometimes be terrible shows, failed games, unpopular models, whatever. They can afford the hits right now, and the chance to create a new generation of Gundam fans who'll be nostalgic 20 years from now is a pretty nice potential win condition, turning a temporary surge of money into long term stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

They're probably gonna make a MOBA as a second attempt to prop up the esports pillar of the Metaverse initiative, but otherwise, it seems like it's been a dud, and especially after it accidentally leaked a bunch of kits, it doesn't seem worth throwing good money after bad. Especially since the whole fad seems to be on the downswing.

A Helldivers style team shooter where individual matches contribute to big campaigns for territory on a persistent map would fit Gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, the only reason I say they'll make a MOBA is they said they weren't done trying to break into esports after Evo crashed and burned, and it's not like you need a metaverse to get into esports. And also a MOBA is the only other esports kinda genre I can think of that might fit Gundam, unless they want to make another fighting game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gripweed posted:

A Helldivers style team shooter where individual matches contribute to big campaigns for territory on a persistent map would fit Gundam

Gundam would be more suited to something like Planetside than Helldivers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, the only reason I say they'll make a MOBA is they said they weren't done trying to break into esports after Evo crashed and burned, and it's not like you need a metaverse to get into esports. And also a MOBA is the only other esports kinda genre I can think of that might fit Gundam, unless they want to make another fighting game.

Honestly 'breaking into esports' is kind of a fool's game at the moment. The market has kind of crashed on most of it and what is left is basically desperately fighting for a relatively small share of audience.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fighting games have held up and are growing but the best play there for Gundam would be some skins or characters for Tekken, Street Fighter or Granblue.

(Now I want a Gundam in the Granblue mobile game just so they can hang out with the cast of Geass that stayed)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly 'breaking into esports' is kind of a fool's game at the moment. The market has kind of crashed on most of it and what is left is basically desperately fighting for a relatively small share of audience.

Also the games that made it big in esports weren't designed from the ground-up for esports. If there was a specific esports focus added to the development and balance work, that came after the community identified the game's potential.

So Bandai should focus on making a good game first.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

An arc system works gundam fighting game would be Neat

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Forget esports, make Gundam Ace Combat.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Revive the Battle Assault franchise.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Another Gundam Warriors with maybe just a bit of Koei Tecmo souls like in it would also be real cool

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gundam planetside would be the poo poo. Just set progressive maps across europe on one server and in space for another, could be rad

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arc Hammer posted:

All proceeds will go towards Ver Ka redesigns.
MGEX G-Self Ver Ka gonna be sick then.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Another Gundam Warriors with maybe just a bit of Koei Tecmo souls like in it would also be real cool

I was just replaying DWG Next and yes, please.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Caros posted:

It can get more direct.
I should really finish watching Dragonar some day. Although now I guess I know what they were referencing in ACE 3.

Mecha fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 10, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking upcoming Gundam stuff, I'm still curious when the finale movie (ONA, whatever) for Urdr Hunt is releasing. They've released posters and a trailer, but haven't given a firm release date.

Makes sense, of course, you only really get seriously talking about a new production once you've decided you're done with the old, and SEED Freedom is still making bank, but I'm curious when it'll come out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They still need to do SEED Justice, since we've already had SEED Freedom and SEED Destiny.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Is Freedom still in theaters in Japan? It sucks that I can’t go and see it again in the states now. It played like across the country but only one day for the sub and one day for the dub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Is Freedom still in theaters in Japan? It sucks that I can’t go and see it again in the states now. It played like across the country but only one day for the sub and one day for the dub.

Looks like it stopped around mid-April.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That will just be the special director's cut of Freedom, featuring added scenes of Athrun and centering the story around his point of view

E: weirdly enough it's playing for another week in Canada? So maybe check your local theatres to see if they're doing more airings

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 10, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/eclovilla566/status/1788830976053043652?t=sfCjzcodPKJKGqcbRtYDNg&s=19

This guy's art, I like it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1789698079811100915?t=Y0q7XhTvBNQDYltdue5ePA&s=19

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
what?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lalah Sune is a woman who could have been like a mother to me!

(And now I realize you were just echoing Amuro's last words.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

Lalah Sune is a woman who could have been like a mother to me!

(And now I realize you were just echoing Amuro's last words.)

What!?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

are they ever going to say the release date for breakers 4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Dilanza skipped leg day :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Dilanza skipped leg day :(

It all went straight to the butt-plate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

are they ever going to say the release date for breakers 4

Yes the last trailer had it. August 29th

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

It's messy but messy isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the 'honesty' (for lack of a better word) of it is part of why it is resonating with people. It's a weird goofy movie with notable issues but it feels like something genuinely created by a person and not something pumped out by a marketing department.

Yeah, this mirrors my feelings on Freedom. I’m lost by people claiming it’s incoherent or totally messy, because it was relatively straightforward to me and my girlfriend, two people who have no experience with the Cosmic Era. It’s ridiculously melodramatic, and some of the threads don’t fully link up (going from “we have no evidence” to “we have all the evidence” in like 5 minutes), but at its core it’s a raw movie about love, and it’s putting everything on its sleeve.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the same time I can understand why messy can equal disappointment. Sometimes raw and unfiltered is enough for people, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you wish it could be taken farther than it is, sometimes excess is just that.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
If you aren't expecting messy out of SEED then I dunno what to tell you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

were the gyan's cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stairmaster posted:

were the gyan's cool

Their shields were beam buzz saws.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundampixel/status/1789879846564209104?t=1wzbfXc1AbqqalwIVoP-HQ&s=19

Breaking: local man saves Gundam with cats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We already had a Cat Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We can have more. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/PikefishPosts/status/1790064205422338102