Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I had hosed something up, or if it's the purest form of idler game where you're not expected to interact with it more than a minute or two on any given day. Just getting to the fourth rune/any kind of decision at all was slated to take many, many hours.

...yeah, popping it open, I'm hours away from unlocking knowledge.

E: Oh, it also looks like I was supposed to be doing a prestige mechanic already. That might help. Presumably I just missed that in the story blurbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
you know, i never went back and played progress knight. iliked idle loops and groundhog life well enough. which is the good version of progress knight, i see there's like 40 offshoots now?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Just wanted to clarify, idlemancery starts slow, but not THAT slow; I just wasn't paying enough attention to various widgets, like the sacrifice mechanic or orb levels.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nea posted:

you know, i never went back and played progress knight. iliked idle loops and groundhog life well enough. which is the good version of progress knight, i see there's like 40 offshoots now?

Progress Knight Quest, https://indomit.github.io/progress_knight_2/
But it might be a bit weird to have everything auto-progress if you're not used to how the game works. I suppose it is similar enough to Groundhog Life to figure it out

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Combat event is up in Ironwood. Gonna be running combat events until we've finished with the diamonds for the Guild Bank. I know they're a pain in the butt, aim for contributing 1,000 if you haven't yet, please.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just started with Idle Loops again. What’s the trick again, try and progress to the next zone as quick as possible?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I restarted Idle Loops a week ago too, after not doing it for a couple years. Each zone has its own quirks and rushing through won't necessarily give you game-wide buffs to make everything quicker. I don't think there's anything you unlock that you gain immediate benefit from, you would have to sit there for a while in any case.

Rushing to the next zone gives you the benefit of hindsight, since you will see what's available and then compare what's a better use of your time, but it's unlikely you'll be able to do much. It wasn't until the 4th zone that I felt like skipping some things in the 3rd zone in terms of cost/benefit.

My only advice is to set the game speed to at least 5x or give yourself a ton of "Borrowed Time" and just run Bonus Seconds at all times (5x speed). The original game speed is way too slow; It's too painful to experiment with setups when the loops are so slow.

Cycle Idle RPG: Ran out of things to do a long time ago and just waiting for updates. I have all the knowledge bonuses, all equipment upgraded, and even my secondary companions are starting to reach Level 10. It's a cool game, it's just a bit too shallow right now. Daily Gifts are so powerful that they have eliminated the "prestige" aspect of the game for me, especially since they removed the limiter for rebirth points bonus for time spent. I just have one continuous run and use the rebirth glyphs to cash out RP every few days.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 7, 2024

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Oodles posted:

Just started with Idle Loops again. What’s the trick again, try and progress to the next zone as quick as possible?

Since I'm playing the Idle Loops that doesn't make it take an actual year, what I do is focus down singular... story? objectives on my first loadout slot. Fill bars, claim lootables, etc. etc. Currently I'm in the second Merchant zone, which unlocked a mechanic that gave bars to every other area before it, so right now I'm working my way through that in that loadout slot.

Then every other loadout slot from that point on serves a specialized farming purpose. I have a Soulstones+Training one, a dedicated Dark Ritual one, a dedicated Dark Magic one, a Crafting one, an Imbue Mind/Body one, etc. etc. Those I set and run for however long I need it to do, which in most cases is "I put this down and come back and check on it every hour or so." Whenever I have a need to level that particular skill or whatever, I load it up, update the actions if need be, and then I let the game run itself for a while. Sometimes I'll hit pause on loop reset and then check my inventory and see if I need to do any micro updates, like adding more of an action based on an in loop consumable.

Rinse and repeat.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 7, 2024

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I ran it through on 500x and it was great fun.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

xiw posted:

I can't seem to get the speed options to actually do anything on this one: https://dmchurch.github.io/omsi-loops/

I tried ticking all the boxes under 'extras', borrowing a bunch of time and nothing seems to do anything? Am I stupid?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

MerrMan posted:

I can't seem to get the speed options to actually do anything on this one: https://dmchurch.github.io/omsi-loops/

I tried ticking all the boxes under 'extras', borrowing a bunch of time and nothing seems to do anything? Am I stupid?

Did you hit the bonus time button next to restart?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

WarpedLichen posted:

Did you hit the bonus time button next to restart?

Ah, so I am stupid. Thanks! Felt like there's a fun game in here but the default pace is agonizing.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

xiw posted:

MerrMan posted:

Ah, so I am stupid. Thanks! Felt like there's a fun game in here but the default pace is agonizing.

NachtSieger posted:

Since I'm playing the Idle Loops that doesn't make it take an actual year,

This all tracks with my experience. Fun game to manage on hundreds of times actual speed, but a rough estimate based on my bonus time usage an optimal playthrough is probably the better part of a year and my bumbling playthrough longer than that.

It is sort of interesting that all of the 'make actions occur faster' bonuses would be much more meaningful in a vanilla playthrough, but I think after years of Anti-Idler and NGU I've probably had my lifetime fill of idlers that ask for more than a year of commitment.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The base game without the extra zones, ending at olympus, was probably a reasonable idler, but with the extra content you need the speedup and at that point you may as well lean into the game as shorter term puzzlebox. Works fine for me tbh.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

GrossMurpel posted:

But it might be a bit weird to have everything auto-progress if you're not used to how the game works. I suppose it is similar enough to Groundhog Life to figure it out

Should I be touching Evil? Progress has crazy slowed down once I hit the 200 year mark and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to try and just muscle through arch-mage or Evil is part of the "intended" progression

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

TaintedBalance posted:

Should I be touching Evil? Progress has crazy slowed down once I hit the 200 year mark and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to try and just muscle through arch-mage or Evil is part of the "intended" progression

Yes. Anytime you can progress Evil (or really anything that is skill related), you do that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lootun

This has been pretty fun so far, got an A1 and A2 team, a B team, and a C team now leveling up. Made great progress through the end of ascension and through bounties, and now starting to slow a little bit through mid agonies and the start of factions. I’ll post some builds later, but my top dps are all DoT builds, lol. I think i need to start paying more attention to what my supports are doing, though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ironwood - so wait, all the passives are good *except* for hungry, right? I got one with level 5 hungry!

Also, what exactly goes into our clan ranking? Is it just the sum of our experience? Should we maybe do event hall next instead of the bank?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Ironwood - so wait, all the passives are good *except* for hungry, right? I got one with level 5 hungry!

Also, what exactly goes into our clan ranking? Is it just the sum of our experience? Should we maybe do event hall next instead of the bank?

I am bad at the taming thing so far.

I believe the Clan Ranking is purely our amount of Guild Experience, which we get for completing guild quests and doing guild events. I wanted to prioritize the Guild Bank because the buildings are starting to get expensive, and I feel bad asking people to collectively donate ~20 days worth of income to completing a building every month or so (not to mention all of the money that goes into the guild events, too). The Guild Event Hall also increases the costs of events, so I wanted to boost the bank before we did that. I was planning on doing Guild Event Hall next, but if people would rather do the Event Hall first, we can switch to that.

We are catching up to the 15th place guild, slowly but surely.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Melvor getting old so I threw in a join request to the Ironwood guild.

Edit: pine trees drop apples?! Immersion ruined.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 10, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, gently caress it, I sent a request for GOONS as well.

Edit: Wait, is GOONS us?

Edit 2: Okay yeah it is

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 10, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

haven't played much past getting Evil but, uh, is there any actual game here? or is it just a decision about when to reset?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

haven't played much past getting Evil but, uh, is there any actual game here? or is it just a decision about when to reset?

The original game didn’t have everything auto-progress. So you would decide you were working as a farmer and training concentration, nothing else was progressing. The game was abandoned at the precipice of some interesting stuff and this is the fork that seems to have stayed alive. I don’t know how it feels for later progression but as someone who played the original a couple times, it’s nice to breeze through the early stuff. If you want the “actual” game, you probably should play through the original and then come back to this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

Melvor getting old so I threw in a join request to the Ironwood guild.

Edit: pine trees drop apples?! Immersion ruined.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, gently caress it, I sent a request for GOONS as well.

Edit: Wait, is GOONS us?

Edit 2: Okay yeah it is

Accepted. Enjoy the extra cash.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Is GOONS full? I’m giving ironwood another try

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It is currently full. We've got a couple people who haven't logged on in 30+ days so Ham can probably free those two slots up at least.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Chakan posted:

The original game didn’t have everything auto-progress. So you would decide you were working as a farmer and training concentration, nothing else was progressing. The game was abandoned at the precipice of some interesting stuff and this is the fork that seems to have stayed alive. I don’t know how it feels for later progression but as someone who played the original a couple times, it’s nice to breeze through the early stuff. If you want the “actual” game, you probably should play through the original and then come back to this.

As someone who played the original a few times and never even got close to Evil, I'm just treating it as a neat way to see all the stuff I never had the patience to see.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Well, it's based on Progress Quest, which was kinda the first idle game. No choices, just watching the quests complete, gear get collected, and bars fill up.

There's a web version here http://progressquest.com/play/

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 10, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perhaps a dumb question but, uh, what should I be focusing on in Ironwood? Is there any skill more important than others that I should be prioritizing or just level up whatever I can in whatever order I want to?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

explosivo posted:

Perhaps a dumb question but, uh, what should I be focusing on in Ironwood? Is there any skill more important than others that I should be prioritizing or just level up whatever I can in whatever order I want to?

You gather things to craft things to combat things. So there's a lot of things you can do, but at the beginning it's fairly straight forward where things get used. We're up to everything getting used somewhere now, but don't be afraid to use the market to skip things around as you go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jhet posted:

You gather things to craft things to combat things. So there's a lot of things you can do, but at the beginning it's fairly straight forward where things get used. We're up to everything getting used somewhere now, but don't be afraid to use the market to skip things around as you go.

Got it, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay has anybody played Moose Miners? It looks kind of awesome?

Edit: Oh wait there's a demo

Edit 2: Okay yeah this is fun and oddly satisfying, picked up the full version.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2024

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This looks like an insane mobile game ad come to life.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RoboCicero posted:

This looks like an insane mobile game ad come to life.

Yeah it does have that look of the mobile ad we've all seen a million times but they seem to have built a surprisingly fun idle game around that concept. There are.. a lot.. of those gems to be mined :ohdear:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
For Ironwood the main tip that I noticed is that the crafting skills, especially Alchemy and Enchanting, are the hardest to level. So focus your quests and challenges there.
And grab the Resurrection thing for your first rune. Outskirts gathering is practically impossible without it.

On other issues: I am trying to push again in Unnamed Space Idle. And I really can't figure out how to get that last V-Device Shard. It displays as 0% base droprate. I ran the game for a few days with all the relevant boosts in case it was rounding, and nothing happened.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

For Ironwood the main tip that I noticed is that the crafting skills, especially Alchemy and Enchanting, are the hardest to level. So focus your quests and challenges there.
And grab the Resurrection thing for your first rune. Outskirts gathering is practically impossible without it.

On other issues: I am trying to push again in Unnamed Space Idle. And I really can't figure out how to get that last V-Device Shard. It displays as 0% base droprate. I ran the game for a few days with all the relevant boosts in case it was rounding, and nothing happened.

Not positive which shard you mean, but if it's the one in sectors 70-74, then get all your crew to mastery 2 and push researches past e100. Also don't even worry about that shard until you're chilling comfortably in 74.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
not quite an "idle" game, but an alkahistorian-like:

https://idleelem.net/

one tip --- once you hit water: level up your "offline progress" perk. you'll want it maxed out. it also has an app but it's a massive battery hog

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

crime weed posted:

one tip --- once you hit water: level up your "offline progress" perk. you'll want it maxed out. it also has an app but it's a massive battery hog

Lol one of the suggested apps was just a clone of Gnorp

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nightskygames.rocklingsempire

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

and the claw won! posted:

Not positive which shard you mean, but if it's the one in sectors 70-74, then get all your crew to mastery 2 and push researches past e100. Also don't even worry about that shard until you're chilling comfortably in 74.

I am on mastery 3 on most crew, and pushing the beginning of sector 74. But my research is only e92 on average. Looks like I ended up with a strange build, accidentally.
This shard:

I suppose I will do a research run for the next few runs, after I finish the infinite synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

crime weed posted:

When I think of Alkahistorian I'm imagining various interdependent resources that have to be combined in just the right way to unlock some big multiplier and the next level of progress.

What I see here is a pretty straightforward linear slog where the next resource eats the previous resource. Except I have to click-and-hold till my hand falls off if I want it to quicken progress.

I only got to the first prestige though, which disappointingly only sped up the next run by 100%. Maybe there's something interesting past there?

Pylons posted:

https://idlemancery-v2.vercel.app/ I found this one which I've really enjoyed. Kind of a take on Orb of Creation but a bit more digestible.
Now this is my poo poo. It has already taken many valuable hours from my personal and professional life.

I don't think I'm at the end but it's slowed way, way down for me and it's probably better waiting a year to see if there's more QoL updates. I got to the point where Spellbinding is needed for crafting but there's no way to train it other than crafting, which is glacial.