Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I wish the Superhot games would just let me enjoy the fun action puzzler they made without constantly telling me what a piece of poo poo I am for liking them

Superhot is fun but the whole "you are in a game. We control you because you are playing this game" narrative is the worst poo poo I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Wayne posted:

I also played this right before Rebirth. I noticed you can avoid most random encounters by hugging the wall as close as you can

That did feel like it helped mitigate the encounter rate a little bit, but it's still way too drat many encounters when you're just trying to clear the treasure chests for your 2 potions and a fire materia before taking on the boss.

Edit:

Nostradingus posted:

Superhot is fun but the whole "you are in a game. We control you because you are playing this game" narrative is the worst poo poo I've ever seen

There was an old (like one of the first iirc) DS game called Contact that tried to do something like that. At the beginning of the game, it's made clear that the scientist NPC knows "You" exist and are controlling the player character in order to help him fix his spaceship or whatever the plot was. And then they call you out on it at the end, with the player character throwing rocks at your screen and telling you off for hijacking their body.

the_steve has a new favorite as of 16:05 on May 10, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Just having a drink with some delicious bread, that's all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Want some rye? 'Course you do!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nostradingus posted:

IDK what you're talking about, it's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
SUPER
HOT

SUPER
HOT

SUPER
HOT

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Super Hot had a story?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It didn't have a setting, plot, or even characters. But it had a theme that it tried hammering in lieu of the first three.

But it wasn't fun to play having your Matrix poo poo constantly interrrupted by Nerd poo poo. The Talos Principle also had a plot, but it had the good sense to make it optional so you could stick the laser puzzles.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Super Hot had a story?

Something about brainjacking people, and killing yourself at the end? The VR Super Hot was pretty cool though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the_steve posted:

That did feel like it helped mitigate the encounter rate a little bit, but it's still way too drat many encounters when you're just trying to clear the treasure chests for your 2 potions and a fire materia before taking on the boss.

Edit:

There was an old (like one of the first iirc) DS game called Contact that tried to do something like that. At the beginning of the game, it's made clear that the scientist NPC knows "You" exist and are controlling the player character in order to help him fix his spaceship or whatever the plot was. And then they call you out on it at the end, with the player character throwing rocks at your screen and telling you off for hijacking their body.

there was a text-based adventure game that does it too, it's one of those low hanging fruits for people who want an ~insightful meta plot~

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It didn't have a setting, plot, or even characters.

It did have all three of these things.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Such as?

"Subversion" only works when you something to subvert. Metal Gear Solid 2 starts as a straightforward thriller before getting weird sometime after the leading man gets his crotch grabbed by the president. But the weirdness only took effect because the game laid the groundwork first. Superhot starts with nothing and expects the twists that follow to have weight.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:55 on May 10, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Such as?

"Subversion" only works when you something to subvert. Metal Gear Solid 2 starts as a straightforward thriller before getting weird sometime after the leading man gets his crotch grabbed by the president. But the weirdness only took effect because the game laid the groundwork first. Superhot starts with nothing and expects the twists that follow to have weight.

Sorry, does it have twists, or literally no plot or characters? Those sound mutually exclusive.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The plot is that you are playing superhot, and the onyl character as such is the system popups

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Muscle Tracer posted:

Sorry, does it have twists, or literally no plot or characters? Those sound mutually exclusive.

The twist is that there’s no characters

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The plot is just “so you think playing violent video games is cool, huh? Well you’re a bad person then!” And then some vauge cyberpunk/dystopia back story bits

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So it's Harvester

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Randalor posted:

Something about brainjacking people, and killing yourself at the end? The VR Super Hot was pretty cool though.

Thing dragging this down: even with the warning barriers up, I found myself coming too close to punching my walls/closet/desk too frequently to finish it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

So it's Harvester

It's this. The point isn't that you're a bad person, it's that you're getting brainwashed and desensitized to become a killer. Well, not you the player, but you the character in the game, who you the player are controlling, and you shoot yourself as you sit at a big chunky computer to complete the 'training'

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oh so Spec Ops then

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I think it's neato

e:

Morpheus posted:

It's this. The point isn't that you're a bad person, it's that you're getting brainwashed and desensitized to become a killer. Well, not you the player, but you the character in the game, who you the player are controlling, and you shoot yourself as you sit at a big chunky computer to complete the 'training'

That's bullshit mom~!

Vic has a new favorite as of 08:29 on May 11, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Superthot

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Necrothatcher posted:

Band Hero not only plays its climactic song American Pie with the credits running right over the top of the note chart:

But it's got some insane censorship where the word "whiskey" is removed, ruining one of the most famous choruses of all time.

Wild, I used to work in that office, everyone listed there is an old colleague :) .

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just beaten the contessa's second chapter in Sly 2. Driving the tank sucked.

I also find navigating the levels as Bentley and Murray kind of annoying because there is so much verticality that's designed for Sly's moveset and very few paths that go upwards that Bentley and Murray can make use of.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 7 - Rebirth: I found 49 of the chocograss balloons and I can not find the 50th.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Final Fantasy 7 - Rebirth: I found 49 of the chocograss balloons and I can not find the 50th.

the 50th is extremely well hidden, it’s in one of the island cove vertical tunnels and tucked away so you’re likely to miss it even while ascending. I don’t have a link but I found the location on Reddit

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Hades 2 cares a lot more about how far you can get on your first few runs. If you progress too far too fast you encounter a character who gives you a ‘boon’ where you take 20% more damage, and it stacks with each room you complete.

I’m fine with some more challenge, but it’s kinda rude when the game more or less forces you to die cause you’re doing too good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Hades 2 cares a lot more about how far you can get on your first few runs. If you progress too far too fast you encounter a character who gives you a ‘boon’ where you take 20% more damage, and it stacks with each room you complete.

I’m fine with some more challenge, but it’s kinda rude when the game more or less forces you to die cause you’re doing too good.

They took that Hades 1 speedrun personally

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why is there not a Smokey and the Bandit 2 player coop game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's that Starsky and Hutch game that's actually pretty good

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Len posted:

Why is there not a Smokey and the Bandit 2 player coop game
Every Which Way But Loose. I want to play as Clyde the orangutan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

There's that Starsky and Hutch game that's actually pretty good

Isn't that the one where one person drives and the other uses a guncon to hang out the window and shoot things? Because that always sounded like a fun time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yep

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know about Starsky & Hutch but I used to love playing Lucky & Wild. It had a steering wheel and two guns so the passenger could either dual wield or the driver could drive & fire with the passenger firing the remaining gun.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Alien: Dark Descent

You can have a character say 'it's quiet... too quiet' ONCE in a game and that's fine. It cannot be one of 2 - 3 unsolicited squad barks that deploy whenever the motion tracker goes silent. Very easy to hear that line 10 - 20 times in a two hour mission, even more if you're stopped and a distant xeno is weaving in and out of tracker range.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Riatsala posted:

Alien: Dark Descent

You can have a character say 'it's quiet... too quiet' ONCE in a game and that's fine. It cannot be one of 2 - 3 unsolicited squad barks that deploy whenever the motion tracker goes silent. Very easy to hear that line 10 - 20 times in a two hour mission, even more if you're stopped and a distant xeno is weaving in and out of tracker range.

The squad barks in that game are infuriating in general. Even after they toned it down with the patch.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lobok posted:

I don't know about Starsky & Hutch but I used to love playing Lucky & Wild. It had a steering wheel and two guns so the passenger could either dual wield or the driver could drive & fire with the passenger firing the remaining gun.

holy poo poo

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

They took that Hades 1 speedrun personally

It is still possible to win under this hilariously awful condition but you need to be a literal god gamer.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I brought up lucky and wild a few days ago on the forums in another discussion. What a great idea for a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kitfox88 posted:

holy poo poo

Wikipedia tells me that the creator says it is NOT inspired by Tango and Cash and yeah... sure man. Sure.