Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Years of Apocalypse: was zorian ever this bad?

Huge chunks of granite rubble blocked off the tunnel, though someone had set up a shrine to Altrukyst, the guiding God, the God of travel. The statue was a smaller one, the kind generally found in a household shrine. Someone had brought it here, then carved the rubble behind it so it vaguely resembled a door. The lantern the statue was supposed to hold had fallen to the ground and shattered, though she could still see the stylized eye carved into the front of it. Strange place for a shrine, she thought.

it's neat and I plan to finish reading it and then add it to my rss reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yeah that's maybe my biggest criticism at least once things get going, is that she's pretty powerfully uninquisitive at times and seeing something early and then doing nothing about it isn't the same as foreshadowing that thing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Made this for a RR comment since I have a bad time visualising places. I think it's correct? (Alden might be on the other side, though)

Anesidora:

I hadn't really been able to put together how it looks before. Man, the Span is a bottleneck keeping the rich from the poors.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yes, there was a Sleyca patreon comment confirming that layout.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Really? I thought that Apex was close to a 90 degree rotation from that. So the span would connect from F City to somewhere closer to one of the tips of the Apex crescent. Huh.

I usually am not a big fan of maps in books, but SupSup manages to make me want a map.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wittgen posted:

Really? I thought that Apex was close to a 90 degree rotation from that. So the span would connect from F City to somewhere closer to one of the tips of the Apex crescent. Huh.

I usually am not a big fan of maps in books, but SupSup manages to make me want a map.

Yeah I originally thought it was a big cescent with the Span connecting the two tips and f-city in the middle, but it's been pretty consistant. I think I imagined it the way way as you, because it's described as a moon, and we think of moons as sideways, but Apex is always north north north.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh, I didn't think F was in the middle of the crescent at all. I thought it was:

)
|
O

But yeah, that Sleyca comment is definitive. Time to reconceptualize. Anesidora is weird.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Nettle Soup posted:

Made this for a RR comment since I have a bad time visualising places. I think it's correct? (Alden might be on the other side, though)

Anesidora:

I hadn't really been able to put together how it looks before. Man, the Span is a bottleneck keeping the rich from the poors.

It's one crescent short.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have to admire your discipline in not posting this exact same thing but with the layout edited to 8===D

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kyoujin posted:

It is frustrating. I still occasionally check to see if Super Minion, Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4, or Castle Kingside ever update...

I just have all my serials in rss feeds so if one ever updates, it pops up on its own.

Speaking of, there was a single Only Villains Do That chapter in the past week or so.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Years of Apocalypse:

Good start re the first 30 chapters. But it's not as tense as I recall MoL was at the start. No real opposition. I can't believe I miss the other time traveller but it did add danger that is sort of lacking.

The moon chapter was baller though. Really upped the ante for what's to come. The entire continent is going to poo poo.

My only complaint so far is that the author uses the word "stuff" too much.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Affi posted:

Years of Apocalypse:

Good start re the first 30 chapters. But it's not as tense as I recall MoL was at the start. No real opposition. I can't believe I miss the other time traveller but it did add danger that is sort of lacking.

When she (Years of Apocalypse RR chapters) tried to board the airship again something made the soldier clue in and shoot her. She dismissed it as something she did but it made me wonder if there's another time traveler, maybe that marshal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Time To Orbit 165

I'm betting that the Hylarians have fixed the Friend's brain damage and it is having a major freakout because of that, given how little concern they've shown for the patient's desires.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bremen posted:

When she (Years of Apocalypse RR chapters) tried to board the airship again something made the soldier clue in and shoot her. She dismissed it as something she did but it made me wonder if there's another time traveler, maybe that marshal.

I kind of assume there are several time travelers. The whole source of time travel seems to be well suited for multiple people. And Mirian would probably not be anything's choice of champion if they had other options. So I've been assuming, on entirely 0 evidence, that she's a relatively late joiner to the time traveler wars - which is why everything is so crazy.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Time To Orbit 165

I'm betting that the Hylarians have fixed the Friend's brain damage and it is having a major freakout because of that, given how little concern they've shown for the patient's desires.

TTo:U 165 Oh, almost certainly. Dr. Kim is going to be in Time Out for a very, very long time.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
If anyone else fondly remembers Orbis Tertius the sort of sequel is out and being updated. So far it has the combination of funny prose, neurotic protagonist and creeping horror that made the last one so good.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i bet that guy likes Borges

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bremen posted:

I'm looking at the young officer that accompanied her. The one gaping like a fish. Surprised that a normal loop resulted in the sudden appearance of a student in the middle of the command bridge.

I believe the professors are causing the event somehow and the invasion is about stopping them

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
what the gently caress is up with the hole

is that where the uh future soul comes slamming back down from space

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

what the gently caress is up with the hole

is that where the uh future soul comes slamming back down from space

Excellent question!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

People being extremely horny for Angharad's uncle will never get old.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Affi posted:

Years of Apocalypse:

The moon chapter was baller though. Really upped the ante for what's to come. The entire continent is going to poo poo.

My only complaint so far is that the author uses the word "stuff" too much.

Yeah, I’m glad I gave this a shot. I figured that the identical plot (in broad strokes) to MoL meant it was otherwise going to be a cheap knockoff but it seems to be going in a different direction, and our MC is way messier than Zorian in a way I enjoy.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

If anyone else fondly remembers Orbis Tertius the sort of sequel is out and being updated. So far it has the combination of funny prose, neurotic protagonist and creeping horror that made the last one so good.

Orbis Tertius is one of the best stories on RR, I'll have to check this out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So I was reading the latest Pale Lights, and it occurred to me who Tupoc reminds me of, and it's Captain America. Without Heart, Captain America is a dick. Also, given the brain is part of the body, I assume that either the god's or Tupoc's idea of perfection is being a loving monster.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NinjaDebugger posted:

So I was reading the latest Pale Lights, and it occurred to me who Tupoc reminds me of, and it's Captain America. Without Heart, Captain America is a dick. Also, given the brain is part of the body, I assume that either the god's or Tupoc's idea of perfection is being a loving monster.

Do you mean Captain Planet?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you mean Captain Planet?

No.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

Do you mean the Red Skull? The Red Skull is an evil person who got the same treatment as Captain America.

Oops. Added spoiler tags in.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 10, 2024

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

LLSix posted:

Do you mean the Red Skull? The Red Skull is an evil person who got the same treatment as Captain America.

...yeah, fair. I wasn't aware of that particular bit of trivia, I'm not a comics guy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

NinjaDebugger posted:

lol
???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you want to make a simile, maybe you should use a character you are actually familiar with?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
But, Orodan was an idiot, and he was stubborn. He persisted and refused to stop.

:hai:

e: “Who the hells is he?!”

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

I love Tupoc is such an rear end in a top hat but you still kind of like him anyway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

90s Cringe Rock posted:

But, Orodan was an idiot, and he was stubborn. He persisted and refused to stop.

:hai:

e: “Who the hells is he?!”

That was genuinely a great chapter. Having practically everyone go "what the gently caress is this guys deal" was great.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really do have to wonder about the folks who publish fanfiction to Royal Road. Like, nothing against fanfics, but is that really a good place to put them? I'd think literally everyone who sits down and wants to read about Naruto kissing Sasuke is going to go straight to AO3.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

nrook posted:

I really do have to wonder about the folks who publish fanfiction to Royal Road. Like, nothing against fanfics, but is that really a good place to put them? I'd think literally everyone who sits down and wants to read about Naruto kissing Sasuke is going to go straight to AO3.

I think they put them everywhere at the same time

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, lots of people crosspost stuff between multiple different sites. And some fanfic is on the rising stars and best lists, so there's clearly an audience for it on royal road.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nrook posted:

Worked for the Cultist of Cerebon guy; he started off posting WOW fanfic on RR, now he's making mid-four figures on Patreon posting his own poo poo for the audience he built up.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, I guess they must get readers, otherwise nobody would do it. But it's still surprising to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nrook posted:

Yeah, I guess they must get readers, otherwise nobody would do it. But it's still surprising to me.

I imagine being on Royal Road gives a sense of idk 'legitimacy' to people who read tons of webnovels but turn their noses up at Ff.net or AO3?

And while it has a much smaller audience overall I think you probably have more luck with crossover readers on Royal Road than on dedicated fanfic sites where everything is more heavily silo'd. There's a pretty large amount of dead/near dead fandoms that will almost certainly get more eyes on a fic if its on Royal Road.

looking at demographics, they're basically the inverse of each other too. Royal Road skews 70/30 male/female and fanfic sites tend to be about 35/65 so it could be about appealing to that as well.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 11, 2024