Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aliensandwich posted:

I've built up my current Smurfs army for a little over a year, and I'm finally in the market to snag a tank of some kind. My vehicles right now are 2 dreadnoughts, but I feel like a tank would add some extra variety to my army. My main problem is choosing from the gazillion different tanks GW offers.

What's a nice balanced intro tank with a decent mount of kick to it?

Get a Gladiator, make sure to build it so you can swap the back out to convert it into an Impulsor as needed. I believe the guns don't need to be magnetized to be swappable either. The Gladiator Lancer is probably the best self sufficient anti-tank in the game while the Gladiator Reaper has seen some competitive use tearing up infantry. The Gladiator Valiant exists.

Eej fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Do "serious" tournaments these days only use ruins as terrain? I just saw some layouts that basically consisted of ten 10"x5" ruins jammed between every objective and table edge. It seemed absolutely miserable to move any kind of vehicle anywhere at all, and I'm pretty sure something like a Baneblade might be stuck in whatever table quarter it deployed in.

If every other type of terrain is so useless, is there some reason why you couldn't just make up new types that block LoS without blocking movement?

Back in maybe 4th, woods blocked LoS through but not into them. Is there a reason something like that would be too unbalancing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ruins are used precisely because vehicles can drive through the non-walled parts. Tournament tables use this level of terrain because it's the only way for the game not to devolve into Tau/IG shooting everything off the board from turn 1.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Oh right, I've been playing ruins slightly wrong. So if one wanted more vehicle mobility without sacrificing LoS blocking, one could just use ruins with really short "wall" segments and large footprints, since the base is what defines the LoS blocking?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah, you do get one weird interaction though, as per this article: https://www.goonhammer.com/ruleshammer-terrain-guide-ruins-mostly/

I wish I could tell you the reasoning for that part of the rule existing but it eludes me right now.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, I can't figure out what kind of behaviour that's supposed to stop. How would you abuse having a toe inside a ruin to see through it? Since you'd also be visible to everyone.

Thanks for bringing it up, I'll hopefully remember that next time I play.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's intended to stop a vehicle being used to span multiple pieces of terrain to shoot out of them all, whilst remaining in cover.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Shockeh posted:

It's intended to stop a vehicle being used to span multiple pieces of terrain to shoot out of them all, whilst remaining in cover.

I can sort of understand the first part, even if I don't necessarily agree that it's a problem. Isn't the whole point about tournament terrain that only LoS blocking matters and no one cares about cover? If a vehicle chooses to expose itself to return fire from several directions at once shouldn't that be punishment enough?

Huh, typing those questions actually sort of helped my brain do some thinking, so I'm leaving them in. What your actually describing as the problem is an aggressively advancing enemy vehicle that essentially sticks a gun barrel into a ruin and blasts the target hiding somewhere behind it?

I was looking at it from a more defensive perspective at first, so it didn't make much sense.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Decorus posted:

I can sort of understand the first part, even if I don't necessarily agree that it's a problem. Isn't the whole point about tournament terrain that only LoS blocking matters and no one cares about cover? If a vehicle chooses to expose itself to return fire from several directions at once shouldn't that be punishment enough?

Huh, typing those questions actually sort of helped my brain do some thinking, so I'm leaving them in. What your actually describing as the problem is an aggressively advancing enemy vehicle that essentially sticks a gun barrel into a ruin and blasts the target hiding somewhere behind it?

I was looking at it from a more defensive perspective at first, so it didn't make much sense.

The problem is that it is defensive. Under the old system a vehicle can sit behind a ruin completely out of LoS until a target is presents itself, then toe into the ruin to delete it.

Using the picture example previously, say the hammerhead needed to move into that position to get onto an objective while the crawler sits behind the ruin. It can't shoot on it's turn, if the crawler can just toe into the ruin it gets the benefits of being out of LoS in the opponent's turn and then gets to make the first strike. With the system as it is now you can sit a tank behind a ruin to avoid LoS, but it's a tradeoff since you have to either move around or fully into the ruin to shoot out so smaller ones have some value messing with vehicles - it can either be impossible to move fully in to shoot through or just be a poor position for later turns if you're hemmed in by walls.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Current terrain rules feel like they favour smaller elite armies, trying to navigate 20 miniatures around the walls and through the terrain and maintain coherency is a pain in the rear end.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Aliensandwich posted:

I've built up my current Smurfs army for a little over a year, and I'm finally in the market to snag a tank of some kind. My vehicles right now are 2 dreadnoughts, but I feel like a tank would add some extra variety to my army. My main problem is choosing from the gazillion different tanks GW offers.

I'm also going through this and have been trying to make the same decision. Eej's recommendation to "get a Gladiator but build it so you can also run it as an Impulsor" seems like nearly infallible advice here. My longer impression on the different tanks in the range are as follows:

Rhino and Razorback can't fit a bunch of the current infantry models (not even Sternguard) so I think their value proposition is pretty bad now. Starting to look silly on scale and might be gone in the next edition.

Whirlwind is for indirect fire specifically, so probably doesn't fit your criteria. The Vindicator seems like it is in a similar place to the Whirlwind, just with short range blast attacks with the demolisher cannon. Both are older models on tracks, so there's some uncertainty about if they're going to make it into the codex for the next edition.

Land Raiders are the old, iconic multirole tanks that mostly overlap with, but are not necessarily better than, the newer floaty tanks. Gained the ability to carry Primaris marines in 10th (couldn't in 9th), so the clear division between these and Repulsor tanks for who they could carry has been removed. [EDIT: Land Raiders still get the assault ramp ability, which repulsors do not, if that is valuable to you.] These are the tanks that seems like they fall under the "surely GW would never get rid of these in the next edition, they are too iconic" umbrella now.

Impulsor is the newer, cheap transport that infantry can shoot out of (via Firing Deck).
Gladiator is the newer dedicated shooty tank that is economical if you don't need something for transport.
Repulsor is the newer multirole tank that can transport more guys than an Impulsor (but no Firing Deck). Repulsors can carry Terminators and Jump Packs in 10th, which they couldn't in 9th.
Repulsor Executioner is the newer multirole with a big gently caress-off gun (either laser or plasma) and can carry a few dudes as well.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 10, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Games-Workshop can't get rid of the rhino, it's the only vehicle sisters have. They'd probably have to actually give them something new if they did that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Gonna be a bunch of well heeled imperial aristocrats driving around in marine disposals rhinos for the kitsch factor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Games-Workshop can't get rid of the rhino, it's the only vehicle sisters have. They'd probably have to actually give them something new if they did that.

Couldn't they just get rid of it specifically for Space Marines? I bought like five of the things for twenty bucks total on outside bet that GW goes the other way and squashes the distinction between Primaris and First Born and just lets everything carry everything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Couldn't they just get rid of it specifically for Space Marines? I bought like five of the things for twenty bucks total on outside bet that GW goes the other way and squashes the distinction between Primaris and First Born and just lets everything carry everything.

I thought this was the plan - ugly hovertanks for Marines, Rhinos for Sisters and Chaos Marines.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

Gonna be a bunch of well heeled imperial aristocrats driving around in marine disposals rhinos for the kitsch factor.

The Imperial Agents codex is going to reintroduce Rhinos for Arbites transports.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xpost from the mini painting thread

ro5s posted:

More GSC, rounding out a democharge acolyte squad

And finishing off the first 20 neophyte squad

This guy was going to be a democharge acolyte, but I like him enough to upgrade him to reductus saboteur

And then an acolyte iconward

I keep having this idea of doing something with the vitruvian man since it sort of looks like it's got 4 arms so it seems like it'd be a good fit for GSC. However it turns out Leonardo da Vinci is a slightly better artist than I am, so my ropey attempt got replaced with the standard GSC worm :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm hoping the Agents codex will have detachments or rules for an Imperium soup list. I'd love to have like a Torchbearer fleet list; Inquisitor with weirdos, some custodes, some marines, and some guard all in one list.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

The Imperial Agents codex is going to reintroduce Rhinos for Arbites transports.

Funny way to spell Repressor.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Primaris vehicles being handed out to non-primaris units would definitely make some blow a fuse.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Major Operation posted:

Impulsor is the newer, cheap transport that infantry can shoot out of (via Firing Deck).
Gladiator is the newer dedicated shooty tank that is economical if you don't need something for transport.
Repulsor is the newer multirole tank that can transport more guys than an Impulsor (but no Firing Deck). Repulsors can carry Terminators and Jump Packs in 10th, which they couldn't in 9th.
Repulsor Executioner is the newer multirole with a big gently caress-off gun (either laser or plasma) and can carry a few dudes as well.

The Gladiator is calling my name. Some kind of transport is tempting though.

I wish GW still encouraged making grav-tanks out of deodorant sticks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cooked Auto posted:

Primaris vehicles being handed out to non-primaris units would definitely make some blow a fuse.
How they gonna drive the cars for the biggest boys. Booster seats?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

How they gonna drive the cars for the biggest boys. Booster seats?

Firstborn Astartes just furiously cranking away on the raise seat lever while everyone patiently waits in the back.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doh, had the repressor mixed up with the Repulsor and thinking it was the Impulsor. :doh:

Because I was on the verge of making a joke about the mental image of a Impulsor looking like a Judge Dredd police car and then a bunch of Arbites jump out the back and start blasting.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Aliensandwich posted:

I was in a similar spot not long ago had a Redemptor and a Ballistus but felt I needed a tank. I originally wanted a Land Raider but ended up getting a Repulsor Executioner as LR’s seemed to be unobtanium. I haven’t regretted it so far, it has a stupid amount of shooting and can kill small targets and big targets. The one downside is it’s fairly expensive points wise.

One of the guys I play against uses a Gladiator Lancer, it packs a pretty good punch and is significantly cheaper than a RepEx in points.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

The new CSM codex hype has got me thinking about traitor guard again. Ages ago I tinkered with putting together a Dark Commune unit led by Snidely Whiplash but never followed up with making anything significant afterwards. Is a cultist-heavy CSM list feasible, or is it better to just make an IG force where everyone is laughing maliciously?

ask again on saturday when people know what's in the codex. right now the answer is no. most CSM armies run like one squad of cultists for sticky objectives. you could maybe make a viable army that brings like 100 cultists plus abaddon and/or a noctilith crown but you wouldn't want to play an army with a hundred guys leashed to an aura, that would suck incredibly bad. accursed cultists got double-nerfed and we're always a meta-dependent skew unit. fellgor beastmen are dogshit that needs a new datasheet. traitor guard units themselves are overpriced and don't do anything you want or need.

the best cultist-heavy chaos army right now is world eaters

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
land raider vs. repulsor is omitting the very important assault ramp rule.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Doh, had the repressor mixed up with the Repulsor and thinking it was the Impulsor. :doh:

Because I was on the verge of making a joke about the mental image of a Impulsor looking like a Judge Dredd police car and then a bunch of Arbites jump out the back and start blasting.

This naming scheme is never confusing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AndyElusive posted:

Firstborn Astartes just furiously cranking away

I thought they couldn't do that after becoming Space Marines

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Finished my Ork Trukk, it's got two decks and it's armed with a kustom bubblechukka. The bed in the back is attached with a few magnets, as is the bottom of the bubblechukka, so I can remove both the bed and weapon if I choose. Last thing that needs to be done is the smoke in the smoke stacks. The footprint is 9"Lx4.5"Hx3"W

I need ork drivers and gretchin to fill it out now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought this was the plan - ugly hovertanks for Marines, Rhinos for Sisters and Chaos Marines.

Let Guard take Rhinos again!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Eww, no thank you.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I just wish chaos rhinos had some equivalent or alternative to hunter-seeker missiles. It's lame that they are just worse for the same price

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Chaos rhinos get to heal one wound a turn at least

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Nothing But Hate posted:

I was in a similar spot not long ago had a Redemptor and a Ballistus but felt I needed a tank. I originally wanted a Land Raider but ended up getting a Repulsor Executioner as LR’s seemed to be unobtanium. I haven’t regretted it so far, it has a stupid amount of shooting and can kill small targets and big targets. The one downside is it’s fairly expensive points wise.

One of the guys I play against uses a Gladiator Lancer, it packs a pretty good punch and is significantly cheaper than a RepEx in points.

Cool, good to know. I use those same Dreadnoughts in my army as well B) Definitely a good combo

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Super Waffle posted:

And have better weapons.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

land raider vs. repulsor is omitting the very important assault ramp rule.

Good point, I missed calling that out. Edited my post.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

I have some bad news... (unless that's the joke)

I think the Havoc launcher is probably better than the Hunter killer though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chaos Rhinos get to ferry real troops around and regular Rhinos don't and that dumb missile does not make up for that incredible downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I made an RYM list of Warhammer metal ranging from super overt stuff like Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos to bands that have 1 bonus track that is about Abaddon or some poo poo. Figured I would post it here in addition to the metal thread, somehow a list like this didn't already exist on RYM