Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't know that you can really call Shyamalan's version as having disdain for the original. He clearly went to a fairly deliberate effort to adapt as much original material as he could within the constraints of a blockbuster film. Sure, he did so very incompetently and arbitrarily in a way that undermined most of what made the original work. But the Netflix version did the same thing really.

Yeah Shyamalan's Avatar is more like Tom Hooper's Cats to me where they chose the strangest and most baffling ways to adapt the material, not that they were trying to bury the material itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maybe the netflix version didn't have disdain for the original but they sure didn't seem to understand it, or the reasons people watched it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wasn't Shyamalan actively being screwed by the producer or something like that? I swear I remember hearing there was another spanner in the works beyond just him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schwarzwald posted:

Wasn't Shyamalan actively being screwed by the producer or something like that? I swear I remember hearing there was another spanner in the works beyond just him.

:golfclap: at that wording

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: If you asked me to do an adaptation of Harry Potter you best fuckin' believe I'd do it as accurate to the "lore" as possible which would mean there would 100% be good trans wizards and I'd replace all of Dolores Umbrige's dialogue with JK Rowling tweets.

Penis Deletus *swoosh*

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah, Shyamalan actually didn't have a lot of control over The Last Airbender, there was a ton of executive meddling, including casting a girl as Katara because her daddy's some Fast Food billionaire and Paramount making insane mandates such as the film having to be under a 100 minutes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Schwarzwald posted:

One of the big ones I heard was that Nelson Peltz helped bankroll the film with the requirement that his daughter get the role of Katara, and that's why we have the "why are Katara and Sokka white" mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That would explain a lot.

YggiDee posted:

wasn't it mentioned in one of these animation threads previously that corporations are basically allergic to "new" IPs, so the only way to get anything made is to take a preexisting property and hammer it into the show you actually wanted to make?

This is literally what the directors of the old Super Mario Bros movie tried to do, lol.

The Witcher also comes to mind where they managed to chase off their bankable star because the showrunners openly hate the books and video games.

Verhoeven is brought up as a counter example but thing is he actually knew what he was doing and had actual reasons to hold the original material in contempt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's also pretty common for there to be things where someone will come to a studio with a novel pitch and the studio will be like 'We love it! We noticed a few words in common with [x] franchise which we hold the rights to, so now make it an adaptation of that'.

The Twelve Monkeys show was that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: If you asked me to do an adaptation of Harry Potter you best fuckin' believe I'd do it as accurate to the "lore" as possible which would mean there would 100% be good trans wizards and I'd replace all of Dolores Umbrige's dialogue with JK Rowling tweets.

There's a lot of potential to do a Starship Troopers with Harry Potter, just really overemphasise that the wizards are awful uncaring monsters upholding a grotesquely fascist society and that anyone watching it uncritically is the butt of the joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The problem is that they usually don't even attempt that, they see the IP as an arbitrary obstacle in the way of their precious creative vision, or more likely their career. Starship Troopers engaged with the source material out of creative spite, not indifference or resentment.

The nerds are right to be violently protective because Hollywood has proven repeatedly not to be trustworthy to not gently caress it up for no real reason unless an IP Commissar is holding a gun to their heads. Few if any adaptations have ever had any problems remotely related to being too faithful.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Obsession for adaptation faithfulness is foolishness

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As long as they're faithful to the vibes, man.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MikeJF posted:

As long as they're faithful to the vibes making a good movie, man.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Has anyone seen the CG Tintin movie? Is it any good?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's surprisingly good. It's not top shelf Pixar level but it was fun as hell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only saw the first one (I remember a second was advertised but don't know if it happened) but it has hella escalation given the final fight IIRC involves two lunatics swordfighting with massive cranes unless I'm remembering a different movie :P

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

YggiDee posted:

I rewatched it recently and enjoyed some of the beginning, but I was just never a fan of the ridiculousness of the action scenes. Reminded me of Peter Jackson’s worst impulses during The Hobbit trilogy and King Kong. Basically over the top Looney Tunes stuff.

Edit: LOL, I even forgot that Peter Jackson was involved, but instantly recognized his style. I was only remembering Steven Spielberg.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the action scenes does vibes with the original books, - Tintin can get ridiculous at times, usually in a good way.

I think the worst adaptation is The Dark Is Rising/The Seeker, only two people in the entire production team read the books, the screenwriter chose to toss out all of the Arthuriana that makes up the very backbone of the series, and production mandates made everything jive closer to Harry Potter to try to ride on the coattails, and the director was openly contemptuous of the books.

It was an in name only adaptation that not only alienated fans, but because it so transparently tried to ride on the Potter train, it turned off everyone else.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 12, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

the action scenes does vibes with the original books, - Tintin can get ridiculous at times, usually in a good way.

I think the worst adaptation is The Dark Is Rising/The Seeker, only two people in the entire production team read the books, the screenwriter chose to toss out all of the Arthuriana that makes up the very backbone of the series, and production mandates made everything jive closer to Harry Potter to try to ride on the coattails, and the director was openly contemptuous of the books.

It was an in name only adaptation that not only alienated fans, but because it so transparently tried to ride on the Potter train, it turned off everyone else.

I remember City of Ember sucking for similar reasons and I think Mortal Engines as well as Artemis Fowl. They legit just don't loving care about the stories and try to homogenize everything.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Obsession for adaptation faithfulness is foolishness

I don't disagree. You don't need to be 100% accurate because well, you can't. But you should very much TRY to get as much right especially the spirit of the storyband characters. A lot of these adaptions sucked because they were cynically chasing trends and being by people who really truly did not loving care about the source material and the stories.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2024

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

YggiDee posted:

I think it's fantastic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I rewatched it recently and enjoyed some of the beginning, but I was just never a fan of the ridiculousness of the action scenes. Reminded me of Peter Jackson’s worst impulses during The Hobbit trilogy and King Kong. Basically over the top Looney Tunes stuff.

Edit: LOL, I even forgot that Peter Jackson was involved, but instantly recognized his style. I was only remembering Steven Spielberg.

Big same. Every action sequence feels like the dinosaur stampede from King Kong, utterly lacking any stakes because they're so over-the-top. I think there's a lot to enjoy in the movie, but it's ultimately really hollow, and caught in an unhappy place between two wildly discordant tones.

It's worth watching, definitely, but lower your expectations. I felt like Lupin III: The First was a much more enjoyable film playing in more or less the same sandboxes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember a pirate using his cape to fight in Tintin and it being very cool. And big, BIG set for the car chase.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
honestly that's a better reception than I was expecting for a CG movie based on a classic European comic book.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a fun dubbed CG Asterix movie that I brought up earlier in the thread I think called Asterix and the Palace of the Gods, in which Caesar's evil plan is to gentrify Gaul. It's a clever idea that actually works.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a fun dubbed CG Asterix movie that I brought up earlier in the thread I think called Asterix and the Palace of the Gods, in which Caesar's evil plan is to gentrify Gaul. It's a clever idea that actually works.

The original run of comics were full of great ideas like this and Obelix and co was an absolute standout that taught me from a very young age that economics is a useless pseudoscience.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mansions of the Gods, and how did I not know about that? I have the book and it's great, I should watch the film too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mansions of the Gods, and how did I not know about that? I have the book and it's great, I should watch the film too.

I love the sequence where the slaves, all hopped up on Magic Potion because they used the power to strong-arm their boss into giving them better working conditions, build the mansions that should have taken weeks in mere hours.. That was a great early twist in the story.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

BioEnchanted posted:

I love the sequence where the slaves, all hopped up on Magic Potion because they used the power to strong-arm their boss into giving them better working conditions, build the mansions that should have taken weeks in mere hours.. That was a great early twist in the story.

Speaking of that, the slave designs sure are a product of their time. The time being the 60s-70s, and somehow arriving unaltered to this day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of that, the slave designs sure are a product of their time. The time being the 60s-70s, and somehow arriving unaltered to this day.

Asterix can be a bit weird there, see also the pirates, where a lot of characters are racial caricatures but at least they tend to be treated sympathetically. (Also they're based on the pirates from another book by the same publisher, just in Asterix's art style)

Breetai posted:

The original run of comics were full of great ideas like this and Obelix and co was an absolute standout that taught me from a very young age that economics is a useless pseudoscience.

That book in particular has aged hilariously well.

doomrider7 posted:

I remember City of Ember sucking for similar reasons and I think Mortal Engines as well as Artemis Fowl. They legit just don't loving care about the stories and try to homogenize everything.

I don't disagree. You don't need to be 100% accurate because well, you can't. But you should very much TRY to get as much right especially the spirit of the storyband characters. A lot of these adaptions sucked because they were cynically chasing trends and being by people who really truly did not loving care about the source material and the stories.

Was a discussion elsewhere that the people crowing about how those awful nerds ruin adaptations by demanding accuracy are loving idiots since no one can name an adaptation that was harmed by being too accurate, but plenty that have been hosed up specifically because the people making it had active contempt for the source material and did not know or want to know why people actually liked it in the first place, and instead produce something closer to trend-chasing homogenised slop, indeed.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 13, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That book in particular has aged hilariously well.

Ayup.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That economist was a caricature of then finance minister and later on President of France Jacques Chirac iirc.

Both refreshing and disturbing that even years ago people were calling out economics as a pseudoscience that effectively treated 'free trade' as magic, and we're living in the aftermath of decades of that.

That one even has Asterix eventually foiling the whole scheme by doing nothing and waiting for it to collapse on its own, even encouraging Getafix to give the menhir makers magic potion to speed things up, because he and Getafix are smart enough to realise the plan has no sustainable end-goal. Also funny how the implications contrast the usual view that capitalism has always been how civilization worked; the point is that it's not how the Roman Empire works, and that indeed figures into the plot.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I also love the fact that the Romans who were paying the gauls had been instructed to keep on doubling their prices for every delivery, which meant that when the rear end fell out of the market the Romans were absolutely turbo hosed which is a wonderful little bit of commentary on blinkered 'number must go up' type thinking.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

YggiDee posted:

honestly that's a better reception than I was expecting for a CG movie based on a classic European comic book.

I mean. It’s a Stephen Spielberg movie produced by Peter Jackson starring Andy Serkis, Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Pegg&Frost….it’s got real talent behind it, not just some quick cash grab

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spielberg just lets loose when you let him direct animation. There's stuff in Tintin that would be a nightmare to film in live action but it's animated so he got really creative with the camera movement and cinematography.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah, that long take of Tintin going down a hill is something that wasn't being done at the time outside of other animated films (and still isn't done in live action outside of a couple supe films that still use a lot of cgi and models and such)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I generally dislike that sort of thing, especially if it's flashy and calls a lot of attention to itself.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There's an old Every Frame a Painting about Speilbergs history of (mostly) unassuming long takes. I think the TinTin one is an exception, however.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I generally dislike that sort of thing, especially if it's flashy and calls a lot of attention to itself.

It’s art imo. I like when I see edits and camera work because those are part of the medium. I never liked or agreed with the notion that “the best editing is invisible”

Bad editing stands out too but that’s a different thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's ok for art to be subtle and understated. It's ok for art to be spectacular and in your face. I think it's silly to say either is inherently superior.