Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

fibblins posted:

another fun thing about fake lawns is the shredded tires used as a substrate are carcinogenic, good number of kids get cancer from scraping their knees on it a bunch

uh, what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

fibblins posted:

another fun thing about fake lawns is the shredded tires used as a substrate are carcinogenic, good number of kids get cancer from scraping their knees on it a bunch

I never heard about this and don't know anything about it, but... no they don't.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
so much knee and elbow cancer going around

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

https://www.kuow.org/stories/does-playing-soccer-on-artificial-turf-increase-cancer-risk-especially-in-kids

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/10/phillies-ball-players-cancer-artifical-turf

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

lmao

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I never heard about this and don't know anything about it, but... no they don't.

Tricky D posted:

so much knee and elbow cancer going around

i hope you reflect on why you felt the need to post this kneejerk defense of the uhhh fake grass industry?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Won't someone think of our precious tacky fake plastic grass 🥺

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

spechtie posted:

i hope you reflect on why you felt the need to post this kneejerk defense of the uhhh fake grass industry?

"what? that's absurd" isn't really a defense though, just an indication that reality sounds stupider than fiction

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Milo and POTUS posted:

you could try concerta, the extended release might help more. otoh i might be suggesting switching to adderall the next time I go in because I'd rather my day be frontloaded than all through

Vindication for people who put themselves and other folks they know into the sims and see who ends up porking

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

silentsnack posted:

"what? that's absurd" isn't really a defense though, just an indication that reality sounds stupider than fiction

sure but fake grass made out of weird plastics and rubber giving you cancer is like the least absurd thing ive ever heard. like just the way that stuff feels and smells even.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Men are getting shorter, getting into vacuous hustle culture, acquiring coins, all we need is Oo-mox to complete the Ferenginization of the Western male.

Even at the time Ferengi were 100% spot on riffs on western capitalists, the whole joke is that they're 20th century humans but more honest.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The collapse of the AI bubble is going to be one of least difficult to explain bubble bursts in all of history. The whole last couple years have been "surely people will pay money to skip the fun parts of life so they can get back to being bored."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tulip posted:

The collapse of the AI bubble is going to be one of least difficult to explain bubble bursts in all of history. The whole last couple years have been "surely people will pay money to skip the fun parts of life so they can get back to being bored."

Also "all that amazing stuff they said AI would be able to do any second now! Yeah, well turned out that was all still decades and decades away."

Edit: on that, a short video by Computerphile talking about a paper discussing why AI is likely to have diminishing returns with it's current approch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUC-LqVrPU

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 11:26 on May 11, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
AI becomes self-aware after reading emperor's new clothes grift

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

spechtie posted:

did you hear the one about the woman who sued mcdonalds because her coffee was too hot?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spechtie posted:

to be fair, the articles make it clear that it’s not from “scraping their knees” that people believe the toxins affect people, right? I read both of those as being refutations of the knee-scraping, not the cancer, but maybe that is too charitable a position for the internet

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it is generally a good practice to have young bodies spending hours every day breathing heavy on a giant plastic field as it degrades and offgases in the sun

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Harik posted:

those are pretty common, we had one put up by us mid 90s that was that except the "leaves" pretended to be oak to blend in with the other 200 foot tall oak trees in the area.

What level of dystopia is it that my dryer decides my sopping wet clothes are "dry" and refuses to run anymore because it has a extra special smart boy sensor that just knows you're wasting electricity

so I have to restart it every 10 minutes for an hour, or if I forget my poo poo all mildews and I have to re-wash it.

loving lg trash. jokes on me, I paid $250k for it.

Clean your pipes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tulip posted:

Can't even devote their newfound spare time to work since they got fired

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Subjunctive posted:

to be fair, the articles make it clear that it’s not from “scraping their knees” that people believe the toxins affect people, right? I read both of those as being refutations of the knee-scraping, not the cancer, but maybe that is too charitable a position for the internet

:actually:

quote:

But goalkeepers, especially during practice, are right at ground level much of the time, knocking up crumb rubber with their arms and legs, breathing hard, and getting their faces on the turf.

Griffin has helped goalies get the crumbs out of their eyes, so they don’t have to take off their gloves.

“You get them in your mouth,” she said. “You get them in your abrasions, and they probably get through your pores on a hot day.”

“There are four ways you can ingest toxic chemicals, and those are all four of them.”
it mentions scraped knees, abrasions and the rubber getting into wounds a whole bunch of times as one of the ways people get the poo poo in their body.

spechtie has issued a correction as of 18:21 on May 11, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I mean living near highways measurably affects children's development so it's not like saying "rolling around in ground up tires several days a week can gently caress you up" is all that unbelievable

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What, you want the children to not get cancer? Do you have any idea how much that would cost?!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Biplane posted:

What, you want the children to not get cancer? Do you have any idea how much that would cost?!

imagine the gpd loss when all the children's cancer hospitals are shut down!!!

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

A new artwork that connects dublin and NYC by video was unveiled two days ago

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My elementary school had a playground made of used dump truck tires bolted together. With the right wind on hot days the stench of hot tires wafted into the classrooms.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

spechtie posted:

We had a series of these at some work events a few years ago.. It was pretty neat, the portals were created in-house using intel NUCs and arrays of those slot-together advertising LED panels for the displays. I think they should just be a normal thing, but obviously people are horrible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can we connect some portals to places that aren't full of white people or are the Americans afraid they might come in through the portal?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

put one of those on the moon imhmo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

starkebn posted:

a small sample of "Forever" chemicals there's actually over 10 thousand of these

can't fire fighting foam be replaced with safer but more expensive brominated versions? all my insulation was brominated cellulose doped with boron or something, and they were able to blow it into the walls instead of spraying it in as expanding plastic foam stuff that is normally used in new construction. The chem used to keep it from instantly becoming an inferno if there's a spark is the same stuff that makes old style 70s-80s electronics turn yellow then brown when exposed to sunlight.

iirc it works by the same mechanism where it technically still burns but requires dramatically huger amounts of heat and oxygen to burn than carbon compounds, so you would need comparatively large amounts of this crap in there? and fluorinated retardants need way less? :shrug: not a chemist but bromine is not a forever chem or toxic in the same way and is actually used in normal biology processes, i think for some enzymes it's a required component and is why certain things like the gross slime under ocean docks smells like that (for example)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

humans weren't meant to push the tech tree beyond wood imhwo...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Snackmar posted:

We had a series of these at some work events a few years ago.. It was pretty neat, the portals were created in-house using intel NUCs and arrays of those slot-together advertising LED panels for the displays. I think they should just be a normal thing, but obviously people are horrible

listen bud, america deserved 9/11

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spechtie posted:

:actually:

it mentions scraped knees, abrasions and the rubber getting into wounds a whole bunch of times as one of the ways people get the poo poo in their body.

We can’t have kids wearing masks like antifa, so we’ll just ask them to wash their hands.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Snackmar posted:

We need to combine these portals with 3d printers and AI so we can have infinite computer women printed like the Idoru, Rei Toei, from William Gibson's Bridge Trilogy.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

ooo found the video
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sdc3gd1iWt1sgnr3g_720.mp4
rip popsmoke :angel:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kitfox88 posted:

imagine the gpd loss when all the children's cancer hospitals are shut down!!!

Those hospitals are going to be shut down anyway because they're already unprofitable, children got no money (lazy)

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

pictures of the aurora from ukraine

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

SniperWoreConverse posted:

can't fire fighting foam be replaced with safer but more expensive brominated versions? all my insulation was brominated cellulose doped with boron or something, and they were able to blow it into the walls instead of spraying it in as expanding plastic foam stuff that is normally used in new construction. The chem used to keep it from instantly becoming an inferno if there's a spark is the same stuff that makes old style 70s-80s electronics turn yellow then brown when exposed to sunlight.

iirc it works by the same mechanism where it technically still burns but requires dramatically huger amounts of heat and oxygen to burn than carbon compounds, so you would need comparatively large amounts of this crap in there? and fluorinated retardants need way less? :shrug: not a chemist but bromine is not a forever chem or toxic in the same way and is actually used in normal biology processes, i think for some enzymes it's a required component and is why certain things like the gross slime under ocean docks smells like that (for example)

It's been like a decade since I read about this but from what I remember brominated fire retardants used to treat furniture have issues with offgassing bromine radicals under normal household conditions that are also linked to cancer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't even devote their newfound spare time to work since they got fired

"We're going to spend billions of dollars so that we can fire all the people in already underpaid professions that are subsidized by passion so that we can sell worse versions of things that are already so saturated they are often free"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

spechtie posted:

lmaoooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1789204192218820608/vid/avc1/720x1252/yTfjxfwMnCg6SoTw.mp4?tag=14lmao the scream