Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wemgo posted:

Poe should have a crafting tutorial and it should be an item base generator and a stash with infinite currency. Let people play and they’ll figure it out on their own.

Yeah, it's pretty daunting for a new player like myself. Makes it super painful when you don't realize a craft will cost your only 2 divines(oh, that's not chaos orbs :negative: ) and you didn't realize that the item had too many prefixes/suffixes so you can only craft one thing on it until you make more money... And you realize the annul orbs are there but you can't afford to lose the wrong good modifier so you just let it roll for a while. I'm sure there's some other way to easily fix it but hell if I know.

bawfuls posted:

I farmed the currency for it like a week or two ago on my leaguestarter, which was Ignite DD Elementalist, the slower, shittier mapping version of DD than the one everyone is playing this league.

This is what I went with and it's definitely a little clunky, but it's also my first league so I have no idea what to expect other than I can't zoom around instantly exploding everything like streamers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Turned out essence spam was a lot cheaper than doing the whole eldritch annul thing since I could just bench craft whichever mod I didn’t hit. Sure, ideally it would be nice to have all 3 mods be implicit and craft something else but the console market just won’t support it. There are almost no eldritch annuls left for sale and VERY few grand eldritch currency stacks at all so this will do nicely. Decent bump to evasion and armor :toot:

(Plus I have another pair of gloves I can sell)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ignite is not a relevant ailment in 99% of cases for an Inquisitor, you have too much regen to care about that. Bleed is far more dangerous.
For your minor pantheon you usually want Ralakesh, Garukhan is fine too, but you really wanna solve Shock through jewels or gear later on. Rhyslatha for boss fights where you can't make use of the others.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Frank Frank posted:

The last step on this is a doozy. I've annulled/exalted like 20x now and haven't hit anything better than a T4 life roll. I need to hit at least +70 to break even which is what, T2 I think?

E: I hit max T2 life and lightning resist using essences on my 2nd pair of crafted gloves so I'll just craft fire resist onto those, eldritch them and call it a day

Yeah, if you need T2 Life it's a 4.4% hit, so about 1-in-25 but anything that's 1-in-25 can have some high variance.

The same craft using the Wild Bristle Matron strat is about a 1-in-6 to hit, which is probably quite a bit cheaper given that Eldritch Annuls are 70c for you.

(E: and if Wild Bristle Matrons also don't exist, there's also good old "Suffixes Can't Be Changed -> Harvest Reforge Life" which is the same craft at 2d a pop, so 12d in expectation for the desired prefix.)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm pretty happy with where I ended up:

At 20 rage (being conservative), I'm at 175m DPS with an EHP pool of ~190k and a phys max hit of 20k or so.

https://pobb.in/rduhtjfRCC3s

This is by far my most elaborate character build and my second (but first serious) attempt at crafting stuff that I'm actually going to use. I'm rapidly running out of things to improve upon. I could potentially rework/recraft stuff for slightly better rolls on life or w/e. What I really want is a corrupted blood immunity jewel so that I can swap my life flask for bottled faith but that's asking a lot. I could also probably improve my timeless jewel but sitting in front of the timeless jewel calculator for hours is even worse than crafting.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 10, 2024

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I got bored playing Cyclone so rolled a PF that can just spam through Lab to farm expensive transfigures. Then the algorithm fed me a build guide for Kitava’s Thirst Heiro Archmage Ice Nova.

I was already destroying yellow maps on complete trash gear and wands and my leveling tree, now that I have respec’d it’s just stupid how powerful this is. Would recommend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

After shelling out for my first supporter pack several weeks ago (couldn't resist the space turtle) I'm now tempted to buy more cosmetics, but the few I have are just highlighting how outdated my GPU is (GTX 1050 Ti)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Frank Frank posted:

Turned out essence spam was a lot cheaper than doing the whole eldritch annul thing since I could just bench craft whichever mod I didn’t hit. Sure, ideally it would be nice to have all 3 mods be implicit and craft something else but the console market just won’t support it. There are almost no eldritch annuls left for sale and VERY few grand eldritch currency stacks at all so this will do nicely. Decent bump to evasion and armor :toot:

(Plus I have another pair of gloves I can sell)

I'm confused about your craft.

What are you looking for on the suffix? Just resists?

Why don't you just spam greeds?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fknlo posted:

Yeah, it's pretty daunting for a new player like myself. Makes it super painful when you don't realize a craft will cost your only 2 divines(oh, that's not chaos orbs :negative: ) and you didn't realize that the item had too many prefixes/suffixes so you can only craft one thing on it until you make more money... And you realize the annul orbs are there but you can't afford to lose the wrong good modifier so you just let it roll for a while. I'm sure there's some other way to easily fix it but hell if I know.
I think the crafting tipping point for me a couple leagues back was a league starter guide that had a step by step guide to crafting a good bow. (EA Balista particularly the "+3 endgame bow" section)

I took that guide and spent time in the Craft of Exile simulator figuring out how to translate the guide's workflow into that tool. This forced me to understand what each step was doing, and watching the simulation results gave a good feel for the cost of each step.

The Craft of Exile emulator is also nice for seeing how different currencies behave. But it definitely takes significant time investment to get over the hump.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

totalnewbie posted:

I'm confused about your craft.

What are you looking for on the suffix? Just resists?

Why don't you just spam greeds?

I needed 1 T1 resist, life and a wildcard resist (didn't have to be T1)
I'm either using greeds to fish for a T1 resist or I'm using a resist to fish for T1 life. I got it to "good enough" and quit but I suppose I might go back and spam greeds at some point if I really want that +20 health.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 10, 2024

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Looking for some gravecrafting advice from you knowledgeable folks. I've been setting up this graveyard in SSF for almost a month and don't want to gently caress it up.

I'm trying to make a dex stacking (attack speed per dex) fractured elder grasping mail. This is my current graveyard:

And I'm using this poedb page as reference
https://poedb.tw/us/Grasping_Mail#GraspingMailMods

Is there anything I'm forgetting to block? Should I block minion mods when the only minion mod also has the chaos tag? Same thing for elemental tags: do I need to add a "scarcer" corpse for each individual element, on top of the 945% scarcer elemental I already have? Do I care about blocking non-breachlord mods at all (e.g. attributes)?

I have room for 2 more corpses (3 if I remove one of the "chance for demon corpses not to be consumed" corpses). Should I prioritize bumping speed chance past a certain threshold, or adding more "scarcer" corpses? I'm thinking I should add at least one more scarcer mana corpse since there's a 1000 weight mana suffix, but I'm not sure about the impact of 675% vs 375% scarcer. Also I'm looking at defense mods and all of them seem to be prefixes, I'm wondering if I should replace one of the scarcer defense corpses with a more useful one.

Do I need to add quality corpses to the craft? I could just spam perfect fossils afterwards, right? I would have to remove most of the "chance for demon corpses not to be consumed" corpses to make room for quality ones

Are there any glaring mistakes I've missed? Appreciate any suggestions

Hello Ketene fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 10, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How it started:

Frank Frank posted:

I'm totally new to this game and just finished act 1....
I also found my first "bright orange" item a bit ago and I'm not sure if I should sell it or keep it. Some screaming eagle axe? I don't think my character can really use it.

How it's going:

Frank Frank posted:

At 20 rage (being conservative), I'm at 175m DPS with an EHP pool of ~190k and a phys max hit of 20k or so.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Frank Frank posted:

I needed 1 T1 resist, life and a wildcard resist (didn't have to be T1)
I'm either using greeds to fish for a T1 resist or I'm using a resist to fish for T1 life. I got it to "good enough" and quit but I suppose I might go back and spam greeds at some point if I really want that +20 health.

It's 1/68 to hit T1 life with a resist essence.
It's 1/35 to hit any T1 resist with greed essence.

You also have a 25% res which is literally worse than crafted.

1/23 to hit T3 life (60-69)
1/34 to hit T2 life (70-79)

Crafting on the res also makes it easier to change, gives you the flexibility to do a dual res craft, or even hybrid chaos res craft later on. Or drop the res entirely for something else if you fix your res elsewhere.

Now where I *WOULD* spam res essence is if I were fishing for suppress + T1 res. Then you would want to finish the gloves with eldritch currency to fish for T1 life (if you weren't playing on console anyway, I guess)

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 10, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

totalnewbie posted:

It's 1/68 to hit T1 life with a resist essence.
It's 1/35 to hit any T1 resist with greed essence.

You also have a 25% res which is literally worse than crafted.

1/23 to hit T3 life (60-69)
1/34 to hit T2 life (70-79)

Crafting on the res also makes it easier to change, gives you the flexibility to do a dual res craft, or even hybrid chaos res craft later on. Or drop the res entirely for something else if you fix your res elsewhere.

Now where I *WOULD* spam res essence is if I were fishing for suppress + T1 res. Then you would want to finish the gloves with eldritch currency to fish for T1 life (if you weren't playing on console anyway, I guess)

Ok I'll go grab some greed essences and go hog wild I guess.

E: Yup, this was definitely the way to go and crafting resist lets me cap out chaos resist again too which is nice. Took about 25 essences. I actually hit T2 suppression on my 2nd esssence but no ressists so w/e

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 10, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

All the people replying to this are failing to mention the actual most deadly thing about T17s: Wretched Defilers. This is a mob that casts a hard-to-see Detonate Dead that WILL one-shot you due to the high HP of T17 monsters. I don’t think there exists a build in league that can survive this hit.

Unless you are 1000% confident that you can spot and perfectly avoid the old DD, you need to replace this mob using an allflame.

Oh god is that the spell that makes what looks like a little red glowing spike on the ground? If so, yeah absolutely. That kills me 100% of the time if I'm near it when it goes off. I had no idea what was doing that.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

Oh god is that the spell that makes what looks like a little red glowing spike on the ground? If so, yeah absolutely. That kills me 100% of the time if I'm near it when it goes off. I had no idea what was doing that.

Yup, that's the one!

I'm not sure there exists a character that can survive it. Maybe some crazy Standard character in legacy gear?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Yup, that's the one!

I'm not sure there exists a character that can survive it. Maybe some crazy Standard character in legacy gear?

There's also a map mod that says something about "volatile cores" that makes monsters explode on death with the same effect only it hits everything on the map so uh...don't take that one. Maybe it's only rares but either way, it sucks and do not take it. I just bricked a T17 by taking "enemies can block 50% of all physical attacks" not realizing that means that half my damage is gone instantly.

What were the odds on hitting a 21/23 corrupt in the Incursion doryani instutute again? 1 in 6? If so I am just having the worst drat luck. I did have my THIRD dying sun flask drop today though. Literally never saw one in the first two leagues I've played in and the Shaper has dropped 3 of the loving things this league.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2024

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

What were the odds on hitting a 21/23 corrupt in the Incursion doryani instutute again? 1 in 6?

3.17%

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

3.17% chance? Lmao ok I'll stop trying then. I thought it was much better than that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hit 98 today and as far as I can tell in PoB the best use of that skill point was a small attack speed/projectile damage node right near the Ranger starting spot. Looks funny but hey 2% dps is what it is.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Frank Frank posted:

3.17% chance? Lmao ok I'll stop trying then. I thought it was much better than that.

Nope, here's all the math that shows how bad your odds are

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Frank you’ve done a lot of crafting by now, how are you not simming the lower odds stuff on Craft of Exile before diving in at this point?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Frank you’ve done a lot of crafting by now, how are you not simming the lower odds stuff on Craft of Exile before diving in at this point?

I am? The lens isn't on CoE or at least I don't think it is. God I've probably fed 20+ SS gems to that lens and I think 1 of them hit 21/20 and 2 hit 20/23 and the rest were either unchanged or bricked.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 11, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Was talking more about the essence spam thing

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

God I've probably fed 20+ SS gems to that lens and I think 1 of them hit 21/20 and 2 hit 20/23 and the rest were either unchanged or bricked.

I'm afraid this constitutes not getting away with it

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Was talking more about the essence spam thing

Oh. I used CoE to craft the base then used the eldritch life crafting guide to try for a T1 life mod, got frustrated with that and just decided to hit it with some essences to see how that went and it worked out. I have lots of essences lying around. I got what I wanted using resist essences and then someone (you?) said “hey why don’t you use greeds instead” which made sense, so I did that and it worked perfectly.

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I'm afraid this constitutes not getting away with it

I burned up all my good luck in early in the league

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

Oh. I used CoE to craft the base then used the eldritch life crafting guide to try for a T1 life mod, got frustrated with that and just decided to hit it with some essences to see how that went and it worked out. I have lots of essences lying around. I got what I wanted using resist essences and then someone (you?) said “hey why don’t you use greeds instead” which made sense, so I did that and it worked perfectly.

Yeah, what bawfuls is saying is that choosing how to do the essence step could have been done more carefully using craftofexile.

I actually assumed that you were spamming for suppression because of your chosen method, hence why I suggested getting your Life roll via prefix-locking method. But actually it turns out your suffix requirements were very lenient, to the point that it was much easier to get your craft via Greed essences.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Yeah, what bawfuls is saying is that choosing how to do the essence step could have been done more carefully using craftofexile.

I wasn’t sure if you could do that with a fractured item and even if you could, i don’t think it would calculate odds correctly since a prefix/suffix were already used up due to the fracture. I’m sure there’s a way to do it but I had a bunch of spare essences so I didn’t put a ton of thought into it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

I wasn’t sure if you could do that with a fractured item and even if you could, i don’t think it would calculate odds correctly since a prefix/suffix were already used up due to the fracture. I’m sure there’s a way to do it but I had a bunch of spare essences so I didn’t put a ton of thought into it.
In this situation I’d use the simulator to set up both essence options on the exact fractured base I’m using and see which was easier to hit.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just had a look at Phox´s RF chief and noticed this icon

What is that, i cant tell. Im going RF chief and dont have it, and nothing on his character profile gives me any clue about its origin...

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Call to arms (auto warcry gem)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I see, thanks. I thought it´d be something fire-related, didnt think about auto-cry.

Another question that comes up in "my" build - exposure.
Eater implicit says attacks apply fire exposure on hit, so i rolled that, took "exposure is at least 18%" as elemental mastery and thought that my shield charge should now aplly exposure.
Doesnt look like it does to be honest, at least none of the enemy debuffs look like anything firey.
Does this, as usual, work any other way than i thought?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Guessing the implicit only applies fire exposure on hit and shield charge doesn’t count as a hit. But that’s just a guess.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Shield Charge does count as a hit, but if your accuracy is poo poo enough you'll not *actually* hit anything a good chunk of the time.

Exposure doesn't have any visual indicator outside of looking at the tiny resistance icons when you mouse over a monster, so it could be that you are actually doing it but just don't notice.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Does pack size on a map effect how many monsters spawn in a breach?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Does pack size on a map effect how many monsters spawn in a breach?

No but there are atlas nodes that increase both number and quality of breach creatures (breachures?)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I’ve got a breach tree already, just trying to decide if it’s worth using 8-mod maps to farm xp in breaches or if I’m better off sticking with self sustaining regular maps. I guess the pack size is good for adding monsters to the map in general, not sure how much of the map xp that represents though.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I’ve got a breach tree already, just trying to decide if it’s worth using 8-mod maps to farm xp in breaches or if I’m better off sticking with self sustaining regular maps. I guess the pack size is good for adding monsters to the map in general, not sure how much of the map xp that represents though.

On top of the reasons you mentioned,
I think item quantity/rarity still apply though so corrupted 8 mod maps are almost always superior

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Of course pack size applies to breach monster density

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Wuxi posted:

Of course pack size applies to breach monster density

So it just stacks with the breach nodes then?