Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

found this on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kild posted:

the retconning that how goku does UI isn't real despite all the angels and gods standing up in awe after he transforms is just dumb

This, but also it's the sad fate for every standout transformation in dragon ball to eventually become passe and just a stepping stone to something bigger

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No Dignity posted:

This, but also it's the sad fate for every standout transformation in dragon ball to eventually become passe and just a stepping stone to something bigger

I'd like the idea of refinement for a form to come back, its sorta the thing with UI, but Goku/Gohan mastering base SS is a concept that has seemingly just been forgotten. The idea that finding new power is in mastering your techniques not in finding new ones was more in line with the martial arts story dragonball used to be. I don't want to say it's lost it's way, but I think coming back to that concept would be good for the franchise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I guess they kind of tried it with ultra instinct (forma de bardock) was a attempt at that but stripping out everything visually and thematically unique about the technique was a terrible way to go about it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

but Goku/Gohan mastering base SS is a concept that has seemingly just been forgotten.

This reminds me of something I always found kinda funny in the Cell Saga. Goku/Gohan master the SS1 form (and in doing so become way stronger than Vegeta/Trunks) by just keeping SS up constantly, leave the time chamber, and just don't tell Vegeta/Trunks about this extremely simple One Weird Trick before they go back in for more training.

Kinda a dick move on Goku's part! I could see Vegeta rejecting the advice due to his pride, but not Trunks.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Trunks had his own dumbass idea he was working on

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

checksin posted:

Trunks had his own dumbass idea he was working on

I kind of like how the throughline of the Cell Saga is "what comes after Super Saiyan?" Vegeta and Goku's opposite philosophies lead to them making their own evolution of the technique. Trunks' desperate need for his father's approval and fixation on raw, efficient strength leads to him further evolving it into a useless mess. And Gohan is the one who finally perfects it, going back to the form's roots

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Bee posted:

I kind of like how the throughline of the Cell Saga is "what comes after Super Saiyan?" Vegeta and Goku's opposite philosophies lead to them making their own evolution of the technique. Trunks' desperate need for his father's approval and fixation on raw, efficient strength leads to him further evolving it into a useless mess. And Gohan is the one who finally perfects it, going back to the form's roots

Goku is the one who comes up with the idea of staying in SSJ1 constantly to perfect it though, IIRC.

I don't think there's ever much of an explanation for Gohan being the one to go SSJ2 beyond just the "Gohan is exceptionally talented" stuff.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Goku is the one who comes up with the idea of staying in SSJ1 constantly to perfect it though, IIRC.

I don't think there's ever much of an explanation for Gohan being the one to go SSJ2 beyond just the "Gohan is exceptionally talented" stuff.

The explanation is very simple: Gohan did not go Super Saiyan 2 at the time the chapter was published. The idea of Super Saiyan 2 wasn't really a "thing" until later. At the point Gohan transformed, it as simply Gohan exhibiting his true, heretofore untapped strength.

Guidebooks tended to refer to it as "Super Saiyan Fifth Grade" (First was basic, Second was Super Vegeta, Third was Big Trunks, and Fourth was what Goku and Gohan did) until the Buu Saga, when Goku explicitly shows it off and refers to it as "Ascended Saiyan" and "Super Saiyan 2" before reaching Super Saiyan 3.

Long story short, Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 was a retcon, and he was just supposed to be releasing all his power and rage at once.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I liked when Roshi got close to ultra instinct. Roshi being relevant in ToP ruled.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I liked when Roshi got close to ultra instinct. Roshi being relevant in ToP ruled.

This is one of my fav DB moments, period, and I am nourished by the cries of powerscaling nerds whining about how it shouldn't be allowed/make sense.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of something I always found kinda funny in the Cell Saga. Goku/Gohan master the SS1 form (and in doing so become way stronger than Vegeta/Trunks) by just keeping SS up constantly, leave the time chamber, and just don't tell Vegeta/Trunks about this extremely simple One Weird Trick before they go back in for more training.

Kinda a dick move on Goku's part! I could see Vegeta rejecting the advice due to his pride, but not Trunks.

Maybe he thought they'd develop their own things. Also Vegeta explained to Trunks their forms when they went out of the chamber, it didn't seem to grab either of their imaginations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

mmkay posted:

Maybe he thought they'd develop their own things. Also Vegeta explained to Trunks their forms when they went out of the chamber, it didn't seem to grab either of their imaginations.

when they come out, Tien I believe is the first to note that they've been just super chill in their SSJ form and Trunks wonders if they're going to power up to something even bigger. Vegeta instantly insults him and explains straight away that they're doing it to master the power-up without wasting any time or energy on the transformation itself and he admits there's a certain cleverness with it

Goku probably didn't say anything because Vegeta would have gotten the idea straight away, and Vegeta and Trunks not following suit could have been a time and/or skill issue

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kurui Reiten posted:

The explanation is very simple: Gohan did not go Super Saiyan 2 at the time the chapter was published. The idea of Super Saiyan 2 wasn't really a "thing" until later. At the point Gohan transformed, it as simply Gohan exhibiting his true, heretofore untapped strength.

Guidebooks tended to refer to it as "Super Saiyan Fifth Grade" (First was basic, Second was Super Vegeta, Third was Big Trunks, and Fourth was what Goku and Gohan did) until the Buu Saga, when Goku explicitly shows it off and refers to it as "Ascended Saiyan" and "Super Saiyan 2" before reaching Super Saiyan 3.

Long story short, Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 was a retcon, and he was just supposed to be releasing all his power and rage at once.

Exactly my thought! I don't really liiiike? the Grade Four framing because Goku and Vegeta were doing two different things. Vegeta tried squeezing as much raw power out of the form as possible, while Goku tried to keep it same as is but make staying in it second nature. They were two evolutionary branches, but that's a different ramble.

Point is, Super Saiyan 2 wasn't 2 until Buu. Before then, it was Gohan being the one to crest that next horizon Vegeta and Trunks couldn't reach, to burst pasr the power Goku and he now treated as second nature. It was a form he reached at the end of his development, just as Goku reached the first at the end of his Z arc, reconciliations of who they are (a man from Earth who loves his friends and a gentle-hearted scholar who hates fighting) with the dark potential that dwells beneath (a Saiyan and a berserker warrior). By the end of each fight, fueled by a moment of grief that forces the two sides to collide, they answer the questions of who they are and who they must be, reconcile the two, and reach a natural end to their chardev.

As an aside, this is why I feel like Super Saiyan 3 should've been Vegeta's form. Every other Super Saiyan form was a big, impactful cap to a character arc, a transformation not just as a fightman but as a person. And a form that decimates your energy reserves would be perfect for a certain someone's suicidal charge.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Good soup! posted:

when they come out, Tien I believe is the first to note that they've been just super chill in their SSJ form and Trunks wonders if they're going to power up to something even bigger. Vegeta instantly insults him and explains straight away that they're doing it to master the power-up without wasting any time or energy on the transformation itself and he admits there's a certain cleverness with it

Goku probably didn't say anything because Vegeta would have gotten the idea straight away, and Vegeta and Trunks not following suit could have been a time and/or skill issue

For who Vegeta was at the time, it was 100% an issue of "loving Goku, I'm better than him, I don't need his little trick, my idea is inherently better and I will NOT validate him by copying him! I AM VEGETA, PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS!". After which he could barely hold his own against Cell's toddlers and watched his son get killed right in front of him.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kurui Reiten posted:

For who Vegeta was at the time, it was 100% an issue of "loving Goku, I'm better than him, I don't need his little trick, my idea is inherently better and I will NOT validate him by copying him! I AM VEGETA, PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS!". After which he could barely hold his own against Cell's toddlers and watched his son get killed right in front of him.

Oh, absolutely. Goku's a martial artist, Vegeta's a warrior, and Trunks is a guy who knows life is kill or be killed. This informs their decisions as to the forms they adopt perfectly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

For who Vegeta was at the time, it was 100% an issue of "loving GokuKAKAROT, I'm better than him, I don't need his little trick, my idea is inherently better and I will NOT validate him by copying him! I AM VEGETA, PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS!". After which he could barely hold his own against Cell's toddlers and watched his son get killed right in front of him.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

gently caress, good catch, I need to turn in my fan card

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

To be fair to Vegeta everyone, Kakarot included, was getting stomped by the Cell Jrs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trunks going back and mastering Super Saiyan 2 makes a lot of sense, too. He needs someone to show him what's possible, so I doubt he's gonna make any new forms, but he's a quick learner of what he's able to do. It's nifty.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Trunks going back and mastering Super Saiyan 2 makes a lot of sense, too. He needs someone to show him what's possible, so I doubt he's gonna make any new forms, but he's a quick learner of what he's able to do. It's nifty.

It does help that it was effectively his mentor showing it off so extra motivation to learn what would be the last lesson he could ever learn from him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kurui Reiten posted:

This actually explains a lot, since I remember thinking the visual distinction with SSJ2 was weirdly subtle. Like you just get some electric poo poo with your aura and your face/hair become a bit more...angular.

Funky Valentine posted:

To be fair to Vegeta everyone, Kakarot included, was getting stomped by the Cell Jrs.

I wasn't getting stomped by them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegeta was not doing that bad at the time

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Stairmaster posted:

Vegeta was not doing that bad at the time

Him and Trunks were the only two not to be taken apart by them, Piccolo put up the best fight out of the non saiyans but even he went down before long.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Him and Trunks were the only two not to be taken apart by them, Piccolo put up the best fight out of the non saiyans but even he went down before long.

Hey now, don't do green dad like that. Piccolo, Trunks and Vegeta were all up and fighting (if beaten up). The only ones flattened were the humans (and tienshinhan) and goku because he didn't think to take a senzu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Trunks pulled out both Rage and spontaneously learned how to Spirit Bomb so he's got that for him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Almost curous why Trunks never took on his dad's "IM THE PRINCE OF ALL SAYIANS" i mean Vegeta has been defacto the king since at least Goku offed Freiza.

Kid Trunks cares a lot about perception and such for his burgeoning Mai romance, so uhh why not lean into royalty my man?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My head canon; while the position is functionally hereditary, the Saiyans still customarily expect the new monarch to defeat the previous one in combat before they can rightfully be called the ruler. Vegeta's desire to become immortal to defeat Frieza and his subsequently continued rivalry with Goku are rooted in this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Almost curous why Trunks never took on his dad's "IM THE PRINCE OF ALL SAYIANS" i mean Vegeta has been defacto the king since at least Goku offed Freiza.

Kid Trunks cares a lot about perception and such for his burgeoning Mai romance, so uhh why not lean into royalty my man?

Because his Mom’s basically Queen of Earth, which is a title that matters way more than Prince of the Parking Lot

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

because he’s grown up as an earth kid who just so happens to have super strength and “all saiyans” is like 5 people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vegeta is veerrrrry touchy about being the Prince of All Saiyans, which is why he hasn't ever actually acknowledged he is technically the King of All Saiyans instead.

Bulma asked him about it once and he locked himself in his room and cried about how nobody could replace Daddy, it was really awkward.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ImpAtom posted:

Vegeta is veerrrrry touchy about being the Prince of All Saiyans, which is why he hasn't ever actually acknowledged he is technically the King of All Saiyans instead.

Bulma asked him about it once and he locked himself in his room and cried about how nobody could replace Daddy, it was really awkward.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

All of those things can be true, and I still think it would be a great gag in line with the spirit of Dragonball.

bleck with the best serious answer to my very unserious question, love it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

put it in da goddang louvre

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I like TFS's take on that in the Broly movie, when Vegeta finally realized he was the king and that fact instantly went to his idiot head. His hubris grew three sizes after hearing that single phrase.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It works like an HRE prince, he's not King Vegeta until he's elected

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Sparking Zero update:

Returning characters:
-Kid Trunks
--SS
-Goten
--SS
-Gotenks (SS) (likely can be fused from Goten and Trunks as in earlier games)

New characters:
-Caulifla
--SS2
-Kale
--SS2
-Kefla (SS2) (likely can be fused from Caulifla and Kale)

Kale's Berserk Super Saiyan form was shown in an earlier update, and there's no reason to believe Base Gotenks, SS3 Gotenks, Base Kefla, and the SS1 versions of all three new Saiyans won't be in the game too.

It also confirms the 5v5 mode is back, now we need one more Trunks and I can make my dream come true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never realized how sad it is we never got to see Caulifla hang out with Trunks and Goten.

Poor Cabba, nobody loves him. Maybe he and Tarble need to start a club.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

I never realized how sad it is we never got to see Caulifla hang out with Trunks and Goten.

Poor Cabba, nobody loves him. Maybe he and Tarble need to start a club.

I think Cabba's definitely getting in, he's just less interesting to show than Caulifla and Kale I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think Cabba's definitely getting in, he's just less interesting to show than Caulifla and Kale I guess.

Oh, I'm sure he is, I'm just saying. Nobody loves him.