Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Docjowles posted:

The Duergar are unrepentant slaver assholes, gently caress em. DND has this unfortunate element where entire races are basically inherently evil, and they're one of those

Even with the duergar it's not universal. You meet that really nice merchant guy who is like "yeah I was always a poo poo hand at slavery and have no desire to engage in it" and then he goes special interest mode on archaeology with you. You also find a bunch of Duergar books that have parables about how being a selfish shithead is good, so it's pretty clear they just have the same pan-cultural brain poisoning as the American South did in its slave society era and it's not like a genetic legacy they're doomed to or anything.

Demons and devils are just about the only things that are for sure assholes basically all of the time, because they have to make affirmative choices to victimize and be evil in order to gain power, or in some cases are manifested directly from the ethereal concept of mortal concepts of cruelty.

In D&D cosmology, you might go to one of the hells if you're a truly despicable person in life (or for certain if you sell your soul for demonic power), and you begin your new existence as a sub-verbal slug thing in a primordial slime ocean. If you're enough of a piece of poo poo, you can climb ranks and evolve. If you're meeting a creature from the hells and it looks at all like a normal or attractive person, you immediately know that they have several dozen war crimes under their belt because NONE of the low level demons look like something you'd want romance options for unless you're a deeply affected AO3 writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wizard2 posted:

*I tried being Evil Origin Karlach for about an hour or two but I was totally not mentally equipped to handle seeing that play out, lmao
What was your breaking point with that one?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my evil Dark Urge Githyanki Bard getting boinked to death by Haarlep is the canon ending for that character, everything after that was strictly for cheevs and screenshots

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i won't be able to do a full evil run ever after saving mirkon and reading his story

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shumagorath posted:

What was your breaking point with that one?

well, for one, I didn't actually know that she talks to herself a lot unlike any other character Ive seen, and it was just A Bit Much with everything else I had going on around me irl. the two Durges have been ironically easier. 🙃

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wizard2 posted:

well, for one, I didn't actually know that she talks to herself a lot unlike any other character Ive seen, and it was just A Bit Much with everything else I had going on around me irl. the two Durges have been ironically easier. 🙃
As in Evil Karlach still feels bad about things and shames herself? Just curious how it works since I’ll likely never bother; she’s far too charming as a positive character, and my evil Fallout 3 playthrough taught me enough about how I like to play RPGs.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I like when there's an evil option so I can not choose that

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Docjowles posted:

The Duergar are unrepentant slaver assholes, gently caress em. DND has this unfortunate element where entire races are basically inherently evil, and they're one of those

One one hand, duergar get semi-permanent invisibility and a free elixir of the colossus when they get enough levels which is badass and helpful.

On the other hand, if you play as a duergar kaga immediately becomes your biggest fan with or without killing the refugee child because she greatly admires duegar for their no-nonsensical pragmaticism(read: enslaving and/or killing everything in sight in the name of security) and you can immediately jump ahead in halsin's romance by calling him out on his not-quite-there flirtation and he loves that more than kaga loves your very existence.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 10, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

wizard2 posted:

my evil Dark Urge Githyanki Bard getting boinked to death by Haarlep is the canon ending for that character, everything after that was strictly for cheevs and screenshots

Was it this thread where someone recently dropped Le petite morte?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Decided to see what the Gale nuke option was in act 2 and lol

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Docjowles posted:

You can stab him in the back whenever despite pinky promising to be best buds, or go along with his plan all the way. Both totally work. But imo several of the best segments of act 3 are tied to taking him down.

Yeah, I'm pretty much expecting to stab him in the back eventually. Or, more accurately, to beat his head in since I'm still using the Blood of Lathander and a shield I bought at the start of Act Two. There's probably better choices, but this has been fully functional so far and that shield made [SEE BELOW] way easier than it probably should have been.

anyways, I just went to the tombstone shop (i feel like I skipped an expected step or two but whatever) and, oh, I know you. and I never even played BG1, or more than an hour of 2

fake edit: did I just kill a loving God of Murder with the power of cheese and Minthara landing a critical hit Lv. III upcast Divine Smite? That was kinda cool.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

When Wyll says he knew Gorions Ward does he mean like personally or in the way that people from Baulders Gate know the history of what happened with CHARNAME and Sarevok? Because that was like 200 years ago at this point i don't think Wyll was around to personally see poo poo happen he doesn't look that old anyway.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

The Shame Boy posted:

When Wyll says he knew Gorions Ward does he mean like personally or in the way that people from Baulders Gate know the history of what happened with CHARNAME and Sarevok? Because that was like 200 years ago at this point i don't think Wyll was around to personally see poo poo happen he doesn't look that old anyway.

Wyll is definitely not old enough to have been around during the original Baldur's Gate, but it was only 120 years before BG3, not 200, and at least according to the wiki Gorion's ward lived to be 135 (thanks, Bhaalspawn genetics!) and was Wyll's father's immediate predecessor as head of the Flaming Fist, so Wyll could certainly have met Old Man Bhaalspawn as a kid.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Gorion's Ward was canonically an old human male who lived to be Grand Duke for a while before fighting Viekang in a bad Baldur's Gate adventure.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i won't be able to do a full evil run ever after saving mirkon and reading his story

A while ago I said that one of this game's biggest strengths is that it makes you actually feel good about being a hero, and that little sidequest there is a very, very good example of how. And while I haven't gotten to an rear end in a top hat playthrough yet, obviously, I assume the inverse also holds true: being evil feels kind of bad unless you're an IRL sociopath.

without further ado

EPISODEON CV: Zehra Finally Gets Different Gear
seriously i've been using the same stuff on her since...maybe an hour and a half into Act Two?

ssssssiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghghhgh I told Wyll to tear up the contract, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me later.
and somehow I managed to take the absolute most threatening picture of The Emperor possible.
But hey, the best couple showed up to say hi! :toot: :allears:

and another romance scene with Zehra and Gale. it's very sweet and cute and pretty and only slightly diminished by her being covered in blood the whole time.
considering how smitten Gale is with you if you do his romance line, I'm not sure he'd care anyways.

Zehra and company decided to ruin Super Mario's plan to poison a halfling lady. very unlike you, Mario Mario. he tried to escape with a dimension door.
unfortunately for him, Gale counterspelled his teleport, then Lae'zel knocked him on his rear end, then Minthara killed him and stole his handbag...wait, eww.
following the note he dropped led to this door, which I had to fight to not answer with SILENCE, MY BROTHER

oh poo poo, it's HIM. I barely played either of the original Baldur's Gates, and even then I recognize Sarevok, Middle Lordling of Murder.
by blind luck, Zehra managed to bullshit Sarevok with a nat 20 roll, which made his helpers teleport off into the next room for The Great Trial.
which meant they couldn't help him immediately when Minthara smashed his goddamn face in with a fully-upcast, Luck of the Far Realms boosted Divine Smite. cheese is a legitimate strategy.
Hold Person failed to take, and I was worried that he'd erase Gale or Lae'zel, but instead he went after Zehra: four attempted attacks did a total of 20 damage to her.
Gale threw up a Wall of Fire and Web to keep Sarevok's ladies away, while everyone else attacked until he stopped being alive. Again. And of course I sat in his throne afterwards.
funny enough, the best items from this whole encounter were on the door guards outside, who had some very good heavy armor and a nice longsword, and also helpfully died when Sarevok did.

you're not Halsin! I think. I haven't really used him much. i guess i should go save him from Orin's evil plot though, i guess.
and yes, I did read ahead a bit and cheesed her who-to-kidnap logic by bringing along the other potential targets. don't judge me
and hey, Mol is somehow alive! How? :iiam: Then some ladies showed up to kill everyone for not signing Mizora's little contract.
but Zehra is very persuasive, so they changed their minds and told us about an Ancient Dragon under the city instead? thanks???

oh hey, Dammon, my favorite smithy ever made it to the city too! I wonder if he has anything go- :aaaaa:
i spent most of my money stash on this and the very good matching boots (plus some odds and ends), then dyed it in not-quite trans pride colors. teal is pretty!
between AC20, the Shield of Devotion, other bits of gear, and Paladins being kind of hard to kill in general, I'm pretty sure Zehra is now technically immortal.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 11, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

But hey, the best couple showed up to say hi! :toot: :allears:

What are you talking about, that's not Stoney and Boney?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My wife is also running a paladin with similar gear and yeah you're basically the Juggernaut now, have fun

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
very annoyed at this mindflayer in the finale. the Shove preview shows him being thrown into a chasm but instead he lands on a separate ledge

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

and another romance scene with Zehra and Gale. it's very sweet and cute and pretty and only slightly diminished by her being covered in blood the whole time.
considering how smitten Gale is with you if you do his romance line, I'm not sure he'd care anyways.

Quick tip on that front! In various places around Act 3 you can find soap, which removes dirt and blood and is infinitely reusable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How come Karlach burns everything she touches but her tadpole wasn't affected at any point? As far as I know, Illithids aren't particularly known for having resistance against fire.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
me on my first playthrough: why is there so much useless water in bottles and barrels, did they forgot any recipes?

every run after: THANK GOD A SHOWER

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

How come Karlach burns everything she touches but her tadpole wasn't affected at any point? As far as I know, Illithids aren't particularly known for having resistance against fire.

The tadpole is on the inside of her not the outside of her

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

The tadpole is on the inside of her not the outside of her

I mean...it didn't teleport inside, did it? Plus the temperature inside should be even higher.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Jack Trades posted:

They're netherese super tadpoles

that's also why they can't be removed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

They're netherese super tadpoles

that's also why they can't be removed

Oh right, I forgot that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you let Volo try and get it out he succeeds and you win the game in act 1. Easy way to get the golden dice if that’s all you’re going for.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Grymforge area just keeps going, but I feel like I'm approaching the end and I am probably not prepared for it. The main quest has faded into the background as I'm driven by the need to wrap this up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh no, I ignored Gale and he left. During a long rest I got a backpack in my inventory, but I thought it was some kind of glitch because it happened right as the screen faded. Hours and hours later, I was cleaning out my inventory and saw a backpack full of his starting health potion and scroll and a goodbye note. So much for the easy honor mode cheese, but I think I'm cheesing the game in so many other ways the only difference will be how long the last fight takes.

On another topic, does anyone get thrown off when the game pops up a reward screen? It's so rare it feels like it's a holdover from an early build of the game. Like when you save the person from the burning house and get a choice of three different pieces of gear. Sometimes it happens when someone gives you gold, which is odd because you don't have a choice there and it would be easy to say "Tav gained 360 gold" instead of a pop-up window.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Reveilled posted:

Quick tip on that front! In various places around Act 3 you can find soap, which removes dirt and blood and is infinitely reusable.

You can also find some in Act 1 in one of the rooms in the burning inn. Very important pickup if you’re roleplaying as someone who doesn’t just walk around with blood all over their face all the time, for some reason.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Myrkul's another absolute dogshit encounter that will shred through most party compositions on tactician. No melee fighters can stand in front of him because they can never heal. The necromites are annoying as gently caress and you need to have a way to kill the eggs at all times. You need static long duration spells like wall of fire and the like, basically a tailored party and some luck to beat him. Which means a reload and a considerable waste of your time is what ultimately beats Myrkul.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lol no basically none of that is true

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

feller posted:

lol no basically none of that is true

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
act 3 is pretty buggy and rough, tho not as bad as DOS2. spoiling so as not to harsh anyone else's buzz:

i had some cutscenes where my characters face was wrong and also when i talked to wyll in the epilogue, he talked to me as though i was laezel. a lot of the end boss encounters had annoying mechanics too (tactician)

didn't really care about much by the end of the game, including most of the entirety of the city. baldur's gate seems like a lovely place. disappointed there wasn't even an "ending slide" type ending for my various choices in the game. how did the tieflings go? what did the ironhands/gondians accomplish in their alliance?

instead we get an epilogue, but tbh i didn't care that much about most of the companions by the end. imo there needed to be more inter-party interaction and less standing in front of their beds like robots. similarly with the various factions, they felt very separated narratively despite how intertwined they were mechanically

the pacing of act 3 is all off, larian really don't know how to end a game. also wtf emperor outta nowhere: "You leave me no choice, I must join the netherbrain"

edit: iirc Myrkul wasn't too bad. i had two melee on the boss and my ranged taking out necromites before they could get eaten.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 11, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Myrkul's another absolute dogshit encounter that will shred through most party compositions on tactician. No melee fighters can stand in front of him because they can never heal. The necromites are annoying as gently caress and you need to have a way to kill the eggs at all times. You need static long duration spells like wall of fire and the like, basically a tailored party and some luck to beat him. Which means a reload and a considerable waste of your time is what ultimately beats Myrkul.

That's just not true. I was able to beat him on tactician with a mostly melee party. Especially with help from the angel girl.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

another topic, does anyone get thrown off when the game pops up a reward screen? It's so rare it feels like it's a holdover from an early build of the game. Like when you save the person from the burning house and get a choice of three different pieces of gear. Sometimes it happens when someone gives you gold, which is odd because you don't have a choice there and it would be easy to say "Tav gained 360 gold" instead of a pop-up window.

Yeah I hear this. So many quests that reward gold but it never says how much you got. Did saving the world again get me 20 gold or 900 who knows??? But then sometimes it randomly tells you.

Kawabata posted:

It’s a hard fight and you need a plan but if you’ve made it that far I wouldn’t say it’s bullshit or insurmountable. Going into phase 2 with no adds up lets you pretty much focus on beating him down with maybe one person dedicated to eggs if you don’t have the DPS to brute force him. He’s also susceptible to a surprising number of debuffs. If you disarm and/or stun him, which a melee heavy party should be able to do, it’s game on. You can always leave the platform if you need to heal that bad.

Also perilous stakes works on tactician if you want a button that bypasses any encounter.

If you think he sucks now look at his honor mode ability that does a shitload of damage and locks you in fear for several turns lol. Fucker killed an honor run for me so I’m not here to say he is a joke

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 11, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hmm. don’t like house of hope either tbh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought House of Hope was incredibly easy even on Tactician because by that point you have easy access to the Sphere of Invulnerability.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Astarion got knocked down, so I used a thunderous arrow to push him off the platform so Shadowheart could heal him.

Level 11 now in act 3 and I believe I've run out of trash mobs to clean up for XP, so now I need to run around and remember where the non-combat quests are that I didn't lock myself out of with act 1 choices, or take my chances on one of the easier bosses.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

cash crab posted:

hmm. don’t like house of hope either tbh

Mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Shard posted:

That's just not true. I was able to beat him on tactician with a mostly melee party. Especially with help from the angel girl.

I don't know what you're talking about, in my fight Myrkul kills her with every attack and she spends her turn to come back to life. She doesn't help at all, I think my earth elementals dealt like 3x the damage she did.

In the end I didn't reload from a previous save, I just savescummed and beat it with the "wrong lineup"- I had Karlach running around killing the undead eggs, 2 earth elementals hitting myrkul, me and Wyll spamming eldritch blast after finishing our spell slots. I usually bring Gale but Wyll felt almost mandatory plot wise, which is another thing that gimped me pretty hard. Shadowheart was the only good character I did have for this fight.

Thing is between this and moonrise tower's fight it's become pretty clear that harder encounters aren't fun at all, they last forever, and usually end in RNG based clusterfucks. Everything else in BG3 is obviously stellar, but combat is very hit and miss to me so far. Whether this is because of the limitations of DnD's ruleset or Larian's implementation of DnD 5e in the game I can't say. What I can say is that it's baffling that Larian didn't give us the ability to skip enemy turns because that would probably let us shave hours from a playthrough.