Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CJacobs posted:

Never tried to pump lucky cards before, that's dope, seems like a fun way to end up with mountains of dosh :homebrew:

Yeah it won't happen super often but when you get multiple 20bux triggers in the same hand, it feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Funniest run yet was 2x Certificates, Blue Joker, Hologram, and Driver's License.

115 card deck baaaby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do seals count towards Driver's License?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They don't but I didn't want to leave him out :shobon: he made me laugh too

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MJeff posted:

Do seals count towards Driver's License?

It only counts enhancements.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Power of Pecota posted:

It’s not hard, but it’s never something I’d have thought to do if it wasn’t on the unlock page and it was satisfying when it happened. That wasn’t sarcasm, I really like that one!

:yeah: it was cool and felt like a much better reward than just more score in a round.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Heard these covers of the Balatro theme song today and I really liked both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJi6m7R8ADY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURydXfCVlQ

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

My god I think I've just understood the game properly. I was so ready to put this in the "Can't do it" bin. Even without good jokers I'm starting to win on the regular, though sometimes I get hosed by the RNG which I guess is just living with a deckbuilding game. I'm yet to make any of the cracked decks you guys seem to have made yet but I'm having some goddamn fun.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
please share your Jokerless battle stories with me. it's my last challenge left and it's making me hate the game/myself/life

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Petanque posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit I repeatedly refreshed the erratic deck to get the jack and 7♣ jokers unlocked.

Will probably do this, also for those last two planet cards.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

please share your Jokerless battle stories with me. it's my last challenge left and it's making me hate the game/myself/life

Got most of the deck to be diamonds, straight flush at about 500 x 50. Unfortunate got the boss that makes all cards drawn after playing face down. No getting a straight in those conditions!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

Force aces (avoids the punishing face card bosses), mix suits (avoid single suit punishing bosses), pump 4 of a kind (scales just as good as five but gives you extra cards held for steels), mix steel and glass, save your glasses if possible for boss hurdles.

Might take a couple goes with RNG but it's a fairly reliable strat.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

It took me an ante or two to notice the engine I'd accidentally put together here.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

I almost got hosed by The Arm downgrading 4OAK two ranks, then I almost got hosed by having to one shot The Eye, then I almost got hosed with ante 7 The Wall which is 40,000 chips higher than ante 8 Cerulean Bell. In comparison, my golden needle run was smooth sailing.

Here are some "fun" runs from earlier:

Agreed re: strategy with Chadzok, 4 of a kind is better that 5 of a kind since Mars is easier to get than Planet X and it plays nice with Cerulean Bell. Another benefit to aces is Grim in spectral packs, typically destroying one non-ace and adding two is sick.

The worst part is the initial pivot to clearing with four of a kind and most of my attempts died there.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

El Jeffe posted:

It took me an ante or two to notice the engine I'd accidentally put together here.

Just had a similar build—Swashbuckler plus the $3/round value one. Didn’t realize what I had done until it started really moving.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I think I just got the achievement for having 5 jokers with foil/holographic/polychrome with 4 negatives and a holographic instead. So I think the wording is a bit misleading.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting closer to Jokerless but at ante 6 inevitably the glass shatters or I get four straight stores of planets only, dooming me one way or the other

I've seen one spectral pack in the last six hours of trying this :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

this game is on :catdrugs: for giving me this without a Swashbuckler!!

edit:

On the next run?? :catdrugs: I swear to you!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally did it :toot:

All it took was the store actually giving me glass cards, steel cards and a lot of spectral packs :v:

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023
Kinda off-topic but I came across Bingle Bingle the other day on steam. It's basically Balatro but in Roulette form. It just hit early access a month and a half ago so it's still pretty early, but it's got a solid base so far. Scratches the same kinda itch as Balatro and also has a similar aesthetic...granted it's a lot easier than Balatro, but the devs are working on adding more of a challenge to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2789810/Bingle_Bingle/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, I beat Golden Needle second try after hours of Jokerless. It would've been the first one but I didn't notice the hand limit. Blackboard and Baseball Card are a super powerful combo, carried me the whole way with Banner, until I sold it to shuffle for glass against Verdant Leaf.

Only Cruelty left now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 12, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, I beat Golden Needle second try after hours of Jokerless. It would've been the first one but I didn't notice the hand limit. Blackboard and Baseball Card are a super powerful combo, carried me the whole way with Banner, until I sold it to shuffle for glass against Verdant Leaf.

Only Cruelty left now

lol this is the opposite of my experience. Golden Needle took hours, including multiple runs that crapped out right at the final boss because Crimson Heart disabled my best joker. Then I did Jokerless in like three tries.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cruelty down first try lol

Blueprint on a foil Hanging ChaD with a polychrome Half Joker. Blueprint and Hanging Chad went insane with some holo stone cards

Now I have to go back to gold stake stuff lmao

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm getting closer to Jokerless but at ante 6 inevitably the glass shatters or I get four straight stores of planets only, dooming me one way or the other

I've seen one spectral pack in the last six hours of trying this :negative:

my advice is to refresh until you start with telescope and just run down flushes or something

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol I can't even get past white stake on Nebula Deck.

Holy moly, this deck is real fuckin' bad.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I restarted on a fresh profile the other day (because I just played on an unlocked profile previous) and I'm just getting into challenges. this is my medusa run

ignore mechanics, collect multi

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

lol I can't even get past white stake on Nebula Deck.

Holy moly, this deck is real fuckin' bad.

For what it's worth, I've now cleared gold stake post-patch with every deck and Nebula Deck (with a Card Sharp Pair run that I just finished) was easily the one that took the most attempts.

I didn't count them and got pretty lucky with like an early Gros Michel/Ankh and a midgame Burglar on my second or third Black Deck attempt and Blank + Antimatter vouchers on my Painted Deck run that kept Crimson Heart from totally shutting me down.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Power of Pecota posted:

For what it's worth, I've now cleared gold stake post-patch with every deck and Nebula Deck (with a Card Sharp Pair run that I just finished) was easily the one that took the most attempts.

I didn't count them and got pretty lucky with like an early Gros Michel/Ankh and a midgame Burglar on my second or third Black Deck attempt and Blank + Antimatter vouchers on my Painted Deck run that kept Crimson Heart from totally shutting me down.

Any tips on what kinda stuff I should be building towards? I guess High Card or Pair stuff so you can just get the planet cards of the hands you'll be able to play as much as possible?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

Any tips on what kinda stuff I should be building towards? I guess High Card or Pair stuff so you can just get the planet cards of the hands you'll be able to play as much as possible?

I usually try to build toward high card or pair with most decks. I'd say I wouldn't invest too much in planet packs until you're up above the interest cap, and I'd consider observatory a trap unless you've got a Perkeo (in which case it's omega busted)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/LocalThunk/status/1790039778445975976

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

My reward? Simple. I humbly request one grain of rice for the first trigger, doubled for the second trigger, and so on,

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Didn’t the king just execute that guy afterwards for being too clever

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Along these lines, Hanging Chad and Photograph has become one of my favorite combos since the new patch. It's actually how I beat Golden Needle.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Chad's become one of my most used jokers since it was buffed, goated joker

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Agreed, Hanging Chad is a must pick, glad it's common so it turns up all the time too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
where the absolute gently caress is the switch patch

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

where the absolute gently caress is the switch patch

it has a 1 in 4 chance of being released today!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

smoobles posted:

:negative:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

smoobles posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sounds like you need an Oops! All 6s