Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I had one of those golden Investigator moments tonight when a drow ran up and attacked me with an elven curve blade, but then I rolled a 20 on my Devise a Stratagem roll (with Athletic Strategist), so I crit disarmed him and ran away with his sword. Probably not the optimal use of a guaranteed crit from the standpoint of winning the fight, but definitely the optimal move when minmaxing fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atelier morgan posted:

the conclusion of this is that a wood kineticist with guardian tree and healing fruits on tap is the best damage mitigator in pf2

Hell yeah.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Not even joking. I'm in a drop in game and one week only two of us showed up: a fighter and my wood kineticist. I felt dumb as hell standing there casting tree every round, but it kept the fighter up as he very slowly chewed through all the enemies.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not even joking. I'm in a drop in game and one week only two of us showed up: a fighter and my wood kineticist. I felt dumb as hell standing there casting tree every round, but it kept the fighter up as he very slowly chewed through all the enemies.

i wasn't joking either! wood kineticist support is bonkers, we have one in my AV group

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

VikingofRock posted:

Probably not the optimal use of a guaranteed crit from the standpoint of winning the fight, but definitely the optimal move when minmaxing fun!

Eh, stealing a weapon-wielding enemy's weapon is pretty drat effective at eliminating them as a threat. Even if you're aware of a guaranteed crit coming up, I don't think you'd be very likely as an Investigator to one-shot such a target unless you were packing a fatal d12 weapon like a jezail or, my personal favorite for Devise a Stratagem, a big boom gun.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 9, 2024

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah wood/water kineticist is great for "ok we aren't going to die today!"

Winter Sleet!

Tree!

Eat a fruit!

Terrible for killing anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Note: the healing fruit doesn't need to be fruit. Eat your broccoli, it's good for you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Facebook Aunt posted:

Note: the healing fruit doesn't need to be fruit. Eat your broccoli, it's good for you.

It's orange slices every time for me, just like middle school soccer

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Throwing out trail mix like it's pocket sand

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNDUmF_41o
Rules Lawyer has done one on Howl of the Wild and I'm pretty excited for the options. I assume Minotaur will cost absolutely fuckloads of points to play as since it sounds so strong. But I like that new bard a lot and I really like the insects. It's so frustrating that I can't get the book for ages.

Also I'm lolling at the brainslug archetype.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I really appreciate the Thruneasaurus Rex for being "yeah we took a t-rex egg and shoved devil juice in it".

It is the most Cheliax-rear end thing ever.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah wood/water kineticist is great for "ok we aren't going to die today!"

Winter Sleet!

Tree!

Eat a fruit!

Terrible for killing anything.

If nothing can kill you, elemental blast eventually kills them.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Taear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNDUmF_41o
Rules Lawyer has done one on Howl of the Wild and I'm pretty excited for the options. I assume Minotaur will cost absolutely fuckloads of points to play as since it sounds so strong. But I like that new bard a lot and I really like the insects. It's so frustrating that I can't get the book for ages.

Also I'm lolling at the brainslug archetype.

i am interested in the benefits that brain slug can provide to me

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mister Olympus posted:

i am interested in the benefits that brain slug can provide to me

So was RFK, Jr.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Presumably, he paid less alimony as a result of his divorce.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’m running an Absalom campaign that started a month ago, and one of the players has a backstory connection to the Mithril Chefs (restaurant/Firebrands cell). Only just realized that at least in Paizo official stuff that name will have to change, so I’m gonna make it a running meta-joke about their insistence on being the Dawnsilver chefs.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

kingcobweb posted:

I’m running an Absalom campaign that started a month ago, and one of the players has a backstory connection to the Mithril Chefs (restaurant/Firebrands cell). Only just realized that at least in Paizo official stuff that name will have to change, so I’m gonna make it a running meta-joke about their insistence on being the Dawnsilver chefs.

Wait, is there actually a group called Mithril Chefs, or is that something from your campaign specifically?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

Wait, is there actually a group called Mithril Chefs, or is that something from your campaign specifically?

There is a restaurant in Abasalom called the Mithril Chef that is a barely concealed front for a Firebrand cell of the same name that uses flashy food giveaways and cooking demonstrations as cover for disruptive terroristic anti-slavery activity.

It’s in the Firebrands book, but might also be mentioned in the Absalom book (I don’t have that one)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chevy Slyme posted:

There is a restaurant in Abasalom called the Mithril Chef that is a barely concealed front for a Firebrand cell of the same name that uses flashy food giveaways and cooking demonstrations as cover for disruptive terroristic anti-slavery activity.

It’s in the Firebrands book, but might also be mentioned in the Absalom book (I don’t have that one)

drat.
I really need to read the lore. I've been playing, or at least involved with, Pathfinder since 1e came out, and I still know next to nothing about Golarion other than the Starstone Trial exists.

I'm only ever worried about character options since I only play Society games, and I play infrequently enough that there's no real continuity between my character's exploits.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chevy Slyme posted:

I was hoping it was just dungeon meshi and master chef ngl

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Minotaur and Centaur are really powercreeping things, huh. I'm not sure how I feel about it, at least not without errata on the other Large-capable ancestries, though the Minotaur stat setup of +str +con +free -cha is also really pushed in its own way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Minotaur and Centaur are really powercreeping things, huh. I'm not sure how I feel about it, at least not without errata on the other Large-capable ancestries, though the Minotaur stat setup of +str +con +free -cha is also really pushed in its own way.

I don't think they are that bad. They are pretty strong as ancestries go but I don't really see them being better than the other strong ancestries like humans.

The large races might also have a bunch of annoyances in all of the paizo APs since paizo loves 5-feet wide corridors and really small rooms

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah a large race has a bunch of downsides especially since they don't get reach naturally

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Being a large creature by default doesn't really seem that great now that I'm looking at it. The only default extension to your reach is overhead which goes to 10 ft. It could be good for locking down corridors and preventing an enemy from tumbling through because its twice the difficult terrain. Alot of enemies have easier ways of getting around a big blockade though.

It interacts really poorly with the spell enlarge. You can't get the benefit of the extended reach or extra melee damage from it.

Enlarge posted:

Bolstered by magical power, the target grows to size Large. Its equipment grows with it but returns to natural size if removed. The creature is clumsy 1. Its reach increases by 5 feet (or by 10 feet if it started out Tiny), and it gains a +2 status bonus to melee damage. This spell has no effect on a Large or larger creature.

The minotaur and centaur both have ancestry traits to make them medium size instead and I'm a little surprised they didn't make the default medium with a feat to make your character larger.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 11, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gurragadon posted:

Being a large creature by default doesn't really seem that great now that I'm looking at it. The only default extension to your reach is overhead which goes to 10 ft. It could be good for locking down corridors and preventing an enemy from tumbling through because its twice the difficult terrain. Alot of enemies have easier ways of getting around a big blockade though.

It interacts really poorly with the spell enlarge. You can't get the benefit of the extended reach or extra melee damage from it.

The minotaur and centaur both have ancestry traits to make them medium size instead and I'm a little surprised they didn't make the default medium with a feat to make your character larger.

My guess is that they figured anyone who wants to play a "weird" race either wants the associated roleplay/mechanical challenges, or just thinks the race is really cool and wants the "default" experience right out the gate and aren't worried about min-maxing or any sort of optimization.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

the_steve posted:

My guess is that they figured anyone who wants to play a "weird" race either wants the associated roleplay/mechanical challenges, or just thinks the race is really cool and wants the "default" experience right out the gate and aren't worried about min-maxing or any sort of optimization.

I agree that's probably what it is. The expectation for those races is that they are larger. The centaur has feats that allow other players to ride it and really leans into the helpful aspect of them. TBH, if somebody wanted to play as a large creature, I would strike that line in enlarge because I doubt anybody would remember that during character creation. Unless the player wanted it to remain for some reason.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gurragadon posted:

Being a large creature by default doesn't really seem that great now that I'm looking at it. The only default extension to your reach is overhead which goes to 10 ft. It could be good for locking down corridors and preventing an enemy from tumbling through because it’s twice the difficult terrain. Alot of enemies have easier ways of getting around a big blockade though.

You also threaten 12 squares rather than 8, and have a much easier time setting up flanks or engaging multiple enemies to take advantage of things like the Sweep trait (which admittedly is just garbage agile) or special abilities that want multiple melee targets.

More to the point though, at 5th level, Minotaurs do get the extra reach with a feat.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, being large is pretty well balanced because you are also more easily flanked and targeted.

I missed that feat, but it looks pretty good. Kind of annoying you have to use an interact action. Since there is no downside listed, I'm assuming you would have to use the feat at least once every battle and couldn't just default have the extended reach?

quote:

STRETCHING REACH FEAT 5
MINOTAUR
You can leverage your size and muscle to extend your reach and attack more distant foes. When you wield a melee weapon that requires two hands and doesn’t have reach, you can change between a typical two-handed grip and an extended two-handed stretch using an Interact action. Weapons wielded in your extended stretch gain a reach of 10 feet.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gurragadon posted:

Yeah, being large is pretty well balanced because you are also more easily flanked and targeted.

I missed that feat, but it looks pretty good. Kind of annoying you have to use an interact action. Since there is no downside listed, I'm assuming you would have to use the feat at least once every battle and couldn't just default have the extended reach?

As I read it, it’s an extra interact after drawing the weapon. But if the weapon is drawn before combat starts, I don’t see any reason you couldn’t have the “correct” grip without the action tax.

Feels like something that will vary by table.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

gurragadon posted:

As a GM, assuming the player is ok with the tradeoff, I’d let them draw the weapon in either grip but take a penalty to attack roles if they’re in the reach grip and attacking right next to them (or a tiny creature in the same space)

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

As a GM, assuming the player is ok with the tradeoff, I’d let them draw the weapon in either grip but take a penalty to attack roles if they’re in the reach grip and attacking right next to them (or a tiny creature in the same space)

Why are you just making the game worse for your players by giving them penalties for no reason?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Evilgm posted:

Why are you just making the game worse for your players by giving them penalties for no reason?

Did you read four words into the post

“Assuming the player is ok with the tradeoff”

Giving them a bonus not RAW (being able to draw in either grip) in exchange for a penalty not RAW

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think your players would always choose to spend 1 extra action per combat to not have to deal with attack penalties forever.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

I think your players would always choose to spend 1 extra action per combat to not have to deal with attack penalties forever.

Fair enough!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Have your players describe themselves and do some role playing

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is it a Stance? It seems a lot like one.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It doesn't have the stance trait. Just the minotaur trait.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Is it a Stance? It seems a lot like one.

No, it has no traits besides Minotaur and stretching reach itself is not an action. The feat just describes a way it modifies the existing Interact action.

e:fb

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Can centaurs climb? If so, how? Even if your buddy lowers a rope, oof that's a tough climb hauling up half a horse with your spindly human arms. Horses don't belong in houses dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Centaur falls and breaks his leg.

Gunslinger tearfully draws his gun, "Sorry buddy, there's no coming back from that."

Centaur: "We have a cleric!!!"