Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's the least annoying way to dispose of animals caught in cage traps that I don't want to train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the least annoying way to dispose of animals caught in cage traps that I don't want to train?

rehoming them to a thread that would love them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this thread has the same icon as dwarf fortress lol. Whoops!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Correct answer btw is to sell them

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I did an extended run in trunk, and the changes they made to extended overall make it a lot less obnoxious and lovely, albeit more dangerous overall. It still takes too long and your build is always set by that point anyways so you just keep doing the same thing until you win, or die to bad rng against one of the extended lords/tomb because you aren't casting shatter in death form for some reason.
Hell's overall more dangerous but the removal of all the rng hell effects makes it so much less loving annoying to do even if the risk of dying is a lot higher, mostly in Dis, good lord Dis.
Shapeshifting letting you maintain permanent lichform makes most of extended much easier, though I did have to drop it to kill lom lobon for potion access.
Ice magic seems horribly overpowered at the moment on trunk, really strong new spells, extremely strong early game spells and most of the early cold resistant monsters are gone due to no more random gen zombies/skeletons.
Finally did a run that tried out maxwell's capacitive coupling, and man is an 8 mana spell that instantly kills OOFs nice in a run that ran into loving TWELVE OF THEM with 2 of them guarding the zot 1 entrance door.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 9, 2024

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Timing MCC on orbs of fire is so much fun. Get out of line of sight, wait, cast, wait, boom.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Shop on D3 had a +3 hand cannon of electrocution

Can't believe I never tried one of these

Chei-worshipping gnoll hedge wizard with a damage rating of 35 on ranged attacks about to enter S branches

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Can anyone explain this to me?

The Crawl Wiki states that in statue form "All melee damage, including from weapons, is increased by 50% (after AC is applied)."

But melee-attack.cc appears to apply post-AC modifiers only for unarmed attacks and minotaur retaliation.

Am I missing something?

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
Crawl code isn't in a sensible order being a collaborative project over the years so whilst the wiki is sometimes made of lies this particular one is valid:

code:
int melee_attack::player_apply_postac_multipliers(int damage)
{
    // Statue form's damage modifier is designed to exactly compensate for
    // the slowed speed; therefore, it needs to apply after AC.
    // Flux form's modifier is the inverse of statue form's.
    if (you.form == transformation::statue)
        damage = div_rand_round(damage * 3, 2);
    else if (you.form == transformation::flux)
        damage = div_rand_round(damage * 2, 3);

return damage;
}
Is significantly further down the code set after quickly searching for statue in the melee code.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Yeah player_apply_postac_multipliers is the function I’m interested in. What I meant to show with the two links is that melee-attack.cc only calls player_apply_postac_multipliers on two lines, one for unarmed attacks and one for minotaur retaliation. Even though the comment communicates an intent to apply the postac modifier generally.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Every action is 50% slower in statue form. The damage increase is just compensation for that

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

parthenocarpy posted:

Every action is 50% slower in statue form. The damage increase is just compensation for that

OK, I think I understand now. I got confused because I was looking for the postac adjustment call in melee-attack.cc, but it's really here in attack.cc and it works because melee_attack overrides the attack type's postac adjustment.

Time to try this out with my Chei-worshipping gnoll in trunk. Manifold assault should be really good now for statue form gnolls with high-damage melee weapons.

edit: hmm yes it feels good to kill Xtahua and Bai Suzhen simultaneously while also fending off vaults trash just by spamming one spell.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2024

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Threw a Draconian shapeshifter in the trash in Zot, I'm dumb and forgot I had haste pots and could've just teleported out. Anyway the point of this post is to say god drat it is miserable when you don't find endgame talismans. Maw is pretty good for Dracs specifically but I wanted to be a dragon or a stone so bad and never found it :(

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Statue form just feels like the best talisman outside of extended play using death form to not die to mummy bullshit. Astoundingly good stats all around and all you lose is some speed and some armor slots.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Just started a game and read-IDing some early scrolls when I hit upon a combination that I had never contemplated before: Scroll of Butterflies, Scroll of Immolation :piaa:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Larry Cum Free posted:

Just started a game and read-IDing some early scrolls when I hit upon a combination that I had never contemplated before: Scroll of Butterflies, Scroll of Immolation :piaa:

this is a great way to handle Vaults, for example

the downsides are a: you really want rF++ or better and b: butterflies count as allies for gods like TSO

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Larry Cum Free posted:

congratulations on getting the slime rune for free

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Lessons learned in my first gnoll ascent (morgue):

• New evocable Gell's Gravitambourine is an S-tier panic button, good in similar situations as blink scroll. Gets you out of melee with any number of foes, damages and roots them. Combines nicely with AoE spells. Can also drag enemies into melee, if you're like 2 squares from that centaur warrior.
  • New spell Gell's Gavotte rewards the player for thinking very hard about positioning. Every creature including the player shifts up to 4 spaces. Direction chosen by targeting one of the eight adjacent spaces. Surprisingly damaging when creatures are made to collide. I used it a lot midgame, but it got outclassed later on. Slow characters appreciate the action economy.
  • New Manifold Assault code really whipped rear end in this game. This spell applies melee weapon damage immediately with perfect accuracy to an expected 9 targets (at 60% power). Weapon brands are included, and so is the statue form post-AC bonus. Gnoll of Chei in statue form wielding a +9 heavy double sword (112 damage rating) was pretty close to optimal. Frequently one-shot fiends, took 2-3 casts to bring down royal mummies.
  • A helpful observer pointed out to me that double swords are one handed as I was cavorting about Dis 7 needlessly unshielded. Thanks dude!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Holy Fucifoneikk!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

perfluorosapien posted:

Holy Fucifoneikk!

Whelp time to switch to that or at least use it as a stat stick

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Annointed posted:

Whelp time to switch to that or at least use it as a stat stick

Seriously considered changing my build, but this BrCj of Kiku has 9 Str and nearly all skill points in Necro, Conj, Alchemy and Ice Magic, so decided to continue wielding the +9 Staff of Olgreb and just flip to Fucifoneikk for rF.

That game is still going with 1 rune. Used the axe on Swamp:4 to endure a scroll of immolation that took down Bai Suzhen as part of a crowd. Felt drat good about my chances but ran into Mlioglotl and another crowd of swamp life about 40 steps after taking this screenshot. Left such a nasty situation near the stairs that I decided to try Elf instead.

Hadn't played a necromancer in midgame since the days of chunks and corpses. Animate dead is really nice with LOS-independent alchemy spells and the Olgreb booster. Slightly annoying that Eringya's bog harms my zombies. Having some difficulty deciding what my endgame spell selection should look like - best damage spells are not really summon-friendly but I can't really see playing this character as a hybrid, despite the good Barachi aptitudes.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Got a Djinn to D10/Lair 5 with this spell list. Mostly killing badly with ice beast, meph cloud, and occasional Makhleb demons. Just got the boulder spell but I'm not really using many of these other spells. Liquefaction/ unraveling/ and curse of agony. Are these any good? When should I be using them?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Yara's Violent Unravelling is very good, it instantly kills summons or dispels buffs, malmutes & does good damage in an aoe. Curse of agony is just kind of bad and bog is okay if you're a ranged/blaster to help keep melee enemies away from you/less likely to hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

That is an objectively awful spell list for a Djinn. Yara is great but you need to either target summons or buffed creatures or debuff your targets. A hasted Nessos, for example, gets destroyed. I believe you can curse a target and then unravel the curse. I'd just use Bombard on everything until you get something much better.