Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they are from a different dimension, so yeah, how come they look like us?

I bet if you cut one open it's just like a soft homogeneous cheese inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they are from a different dimension, so yeah, how come they look like us?

Because what happens in the different dimension is directly influenced by beings in our dimension and their emotions. They are basically manifestations of emotion and will probably look somewhat like the beings that feel those emotions.

Or they are magic and our brains make us see them like us because it literally doesn't know how to perceive them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

quote:

I opened up the flamer. I saw the man scream and writhe within the shaking torrent of extreme heat. His robes ignited in a burst, his skin crisped to black, but I kept up the roaring inferno. I saw something slimy and oil-dark curl up amid the flames, coiling for the strike. I heard fractured screaming as if from many places at once, none of them here.

I reached for my sword just as it leapt for me, a mass of prehensile limbs and wicked spines. I lashed out, severing one of the tentacles, then spun around to plunge my blade into the polyp of flesh at its heart. It shrieked and clutched at me, trying to smother me in waves of sinuous gristle, but by then I was in combat-trance, beyond mortal senses, moving faster and harder and working my blade in a whirl of pressed steel.

This was shedim. That should have been impossible, given our Geller aegis, but it was here, on the ship. I could smell its stink - the rotting of the human flesh it had taken for its own, pulled apart and remade.

I carved it open. It lashed at me, trying to drag me down, but by then I was a tongue of flame, a howl of the world's wind. My sword gyrated, and slops of its unnatural body thudded to the deck, still jerking.

'Anathema psykana', it whispered to me, rearing up in obscene mockery of physical law, growing into a tentacled slab of muscle and mucus. I saw its hundreds of eyes stare at me - hundreds of identical human eyes, copied from its host, replete with lids and lashes and tears. Its mouth had never stopped growing and was now a huge and ragged maw lined with teeth, flapping and salia-flecked. "Alone? Alone, out here? I will relish turning you inside out!"

The thing had a heart, it had lungs and it had organs, all pulled out of shape from its host but still necessary for it in this place. I delved to find them, cutting like a surgeon. When I reached my target the blade drove in deep, sending a jet of ink-black blood fountaining over both of us. I cut and I cut, wading into the belly of the creature to sever its essence before it could regenerate more.

It screamed all the while until I sawed out its swollen lungs, grabbing the sacs of pus and foul gas and hurling them messily to the deck. I ripped its gullet from its throat and I burst its flaccid stomach with a stamp of my boot, and that finally shut it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the Warp is the psychic plane of thoughts and dreams and feelings and is also literal Hell, implicitly it wasn't always like that but most sentient life has really hosed it up bad even before the Fall of the Eldar.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sick as hell

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
watchers of the throne: emperor's legion, by wraight. wraight slaps

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay so according to the lore: if a khorne demon is in a hell dimension then it doesn't need to poo poo, but if it's running around in a Generic Warhammer Forest in the real world then it's definitely gotta poo poo from time to time because those are just the rules of our material realm

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

QuarkJets posted:

Okay so according to the lore: if a khorne demon is in a hell dimension then it doesn't need to poo poo, but if it's running around in a Generic Warhammer Forest in the real world then it's definitely gotta poo poo from time to time because those are just the rules of our material realm

Close. Daemons manifesting in the material realm are technically bound by the basic rules of bodily function, which means they require those things, but don't necessarily understand why they require them or what they are or how they function. Moreover, while they can move, they almost certainly have the understanding and control of a newborn infant.

What I'm getting at is that Daemons need to poo poo, but they don't understand the need to expel waste or having an orifice for it. Nurgle understands it's use as a weapon, but not in general. Which implies that all daemons are constantly making GBS threads internally.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They don't always need to poo poo, sometimes they can put together a body out of whatever meat's available and it doesn't actually work as a body but it's a physical thing they can puppeteer around in the physical world.

And of course sometimes if the veil between reality and the Warp is particularly thin they can just appear as purely Daemonic entities, where if you cut them open all they've got is smoke or goo or madness inside.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Gripweed posted:

And of course sometimes if the veil between reality and the Warp is particularly thin they can just appear as purely Daemonic entities, where if you cut them open all they've got is smoke or goo or madness inside.

Soft cheese

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Daemons in general tend to consider the laws of physics to be quaint suggestions at best.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of the many stealings from dune by 40k is frank herbert's assertion that transportation utterly defines a civilization. but like many of their stealings they took it much further: that "physics is just suggestions in the warp" utterly defines the imperium of man, because they depend upon it to get their ships anywhere. probably one of the shittiest ftl methods imagined

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
tl;dr version: "The Warp" is Imagination Land but turns out everyone has a hosed-up mind/dreams/desires and also if you're really good at using your imagination (psychic) you can voluntarily/involuntarily manifest stuff from said realm of magical wonderment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

one of the many stealings from dune by 40k is frank herbert's assertion that transportation utterly defines a civilization. but like many of their stealings they took it much further: that "physics is just suggestions in the warp" utterly defines the imperium of man, because they depend upon it to get their ships anywhere. probably one of the shittiest ftl methods imagined

It is pretty much Event Horizon slash Doom after all. Kinda funny that I can believe multiple media probably independently came up with the idea of FTL travel that happens to go through Hell. Even X-Men has Nightcrawler turn out to teleport via brief jaunts in and out of another dimension that strongly resembles Hell.

And to be fair, the way you travel is something that tends to be quite important to a civilization's development!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
event horizon was originally intended to be a 40k movie, but they couldnt get the license. doom was independent redevelopment from a dnd campaign with incongruous shotguns and chainsaws (inspired by evil dead)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

event horizon was originally intended to be a 40k movie, but they couldnt get the license. doom was independent redevelopment from a dnd campaign with incongruous shotguns and chainsaws (inspired by evil dead)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is just a retroactively applied urban myth. The movie can definitely be read as a sort of pre-age of technology 40k prequel film, but I don't think it was actually intentional

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
talkin pre-pre-production, dream-of-the-director-to-make-a-movie stage

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

talkin pre-pre-production, dream-of-the-director-to-make-a-movie stage

Anderson is a hardcore meganerd and he's British, I buy it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

naem posted:

speaking of orks look at this paint job

Torkyo driftin'

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the Gran WAAAAAAAAGH 80 (cuz 80 is better than 40)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

Because what happens in the different dimension is directly influenced by beings in our dimension and their emotions. They are basically manifestations of emotion and will probably look somewhat like the beings that feel those emotions.

Or they are magic and our brains make us see them like us because it literally doesn't know how to perceive them.

that is just bad writing.
Oh no a different dimension, but they look like us, some even have tentacles and poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
at least Hp lovecraft said you couldn't understand what you saw

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"sights that cannot be described in extremely fiddly detail" and "minis game" do not mix

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

then described it lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can have lots of visual imagination, but you need exactly 0 visual imagination. you wanna see what a bloodthirster looks like? go to the store site and look at their 'eavy metal painted canonical figure. you can gently caress with it all sorts of ways if you wanna but there's a rigid canon look, too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

then described it lol

I can't. That is the point

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I can't. That is the point

I meant he then described it, after calling it indescribable

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

I meant he then described it, after calling it indescribable

he's a 100+ year old racist

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

he's a 100+ year old racist

yeah calling something indescribable and then describing it in detail is part of his charm as an author

Cool Air is my fav lovecraft story, is there a 40k version of Cool Air

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

yeah calling something indescribable and then describing it in detail is part of his charm as an author

Cool Air is my fav lovecraft story, is there a 40k version of Cool Air

lol. One time my cousin looked into my car and saw a HP book. She asked me if I was doing alright?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

other authors took lovecraft's ideas and made them vaguely readable

sad question
May 30, 2020

"His mind reeled trying to understand the indescribable horror before him. An interracial couple or birth certificate proving his ancestors were Welsh."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is just bad writing.
Oh no a different dimension, but they look like us, some even have tentacles and poo poo

I'm sorry for you to call any one piece of 40k writing bad is just impossible. That would imply that good writing was involved at some point.

Also don't think of it as beings from another dimension that have tentacles. Think of it like, there was another dimension and it would've been fine and undescribable by itself but the tentacles are self aware pollution from the last billion years of sentient life loving it up with their wet dreams

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

other authors took lovecraft's ideas and made them vaguely readable

Koji Shiraishi does better Lovecraftian fiction than Lovecraft did

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sad question posted:

"His mind reeled trying to understand the indescribable horror before him. An interracial couple or birth certificate proving his ancestors were Welsh."

"A regular-rear end penguin or other animals"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

I'm sorry for you to call any one piece of 40k writing bad is just impossible. That would imply that good writing was involved at some point.

It was fun back when they were making fun of Thatcher

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

"A regular-rear end penguin or other animals"

yeah, like a puffin

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Little surprised. Just thought it was groks everwhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Benagain posted:

I'm sorry, did you not like Dan Abnett's impossibly baroque description of the Golden Throne? 675 words! One sentence!