Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How 'bout you go bag me some name brand Cool Whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

DreamingofRoses posted:

At the risk of setting off the thread again:

Update: AITAH for wanting to leave my wife because she had a “go bag”?

It's not a go bag unless it's motorized luggage

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

DreamingofRoses posted:

After I made my first post, I decided to officially ask for divorce. She did not take it well. She cried and refused to eat food for two days until I filled the house with candy bars. She hasnt pulled that kind of stunt after that thankfully.

W…what?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He filled the house with candy bars. She had to eat her way everywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Proper ambrosia is made from sliced oranges, sugar if the oranges are very tart, and optional shaved or dried coconut. Anything else is a lie.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Proper ambrosia is made from sliced oranges, sugar if the oranges are very tart, and optional shaved or dried coconut. Anything else is a lie.

So leaving out the optional ingredients ambrosia is just sliced oranges?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Proper Ambrosia "salad" of any sort is fit only for the trash can.

I make mine from generic Cool Whip, mandarin orange slices, walnuts, and diced ham for that good hammy taste to balance the sweetness of the generic Cool Whip.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So leaving out the optional ingredients ambrosia is just sliced oranges?

Yup.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Use an off-brand Cool Whip container as a go bag. Nobody will want to look inside to see what is in there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH for my breaking up with my girlfriend after I proposed to her?

quote:

I (28m) have been with my girlfriend (27f) for 4 years now. We have had a great relationship, not too many fights, and it seemed like we were perfect for each other. I bought a ring 6 months ago and planned on proposing around now. She had said she wanted to marry in the past, but we hadn’t talked about it too much lately. Our relationship was built on giving each other poo poo from the very beginning, that’s even how our first conversations began… so we naturally often tease and joke around with each other.

Two nights ago in front of her family and friends, I popped the question and she jokingly said “Aw, but you know I love you like a brother.” I knew she was joking, or at least I thought she was but then she didn’t say anything else after to change the situation. I don’t know how much time I gave her to make up for it after she said that to be honest. I just felt super anxious and got up and left.

To be honest I was already a little bit worried that we had grown too comfortable and maybe we weren’t really at that level still. But either way this was a big moment, and I couldn’t help but feel like there was some truth to what she said, and for this situation she crossed the line. Not to mention I felt extremely embarrassed in front of her family

After I left the room she came after me to talk to me, and she tried to tell me she was joking, but for some reason I just felt so different about everything. I told her I was going to leave, and she was upset that I wasn’t going to try to make the situation better and even more mad that I wasn’t going to say goodbye to her family. I love her family, but I was just so pissed about everything. I told her I was going to stay somewhere else and that I need to think about things, and that’s when it got really bad. She started sobbing, and I wanted to be there for her but I needed to leave so I did. I feel bad but what she said really hurt and ruined the moment. AITAH?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

NTA strictly speaking if he wants to break up based on that response but it seems like lots of people create unnecessary problems for themselves by proposing with no warning in front of family/friends

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Its a weird way to propose but yeah its hard to take a relationship seriously when a proposal crashes and burns spectacularly like that so maybe its for the best you just leave

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

The fact that he proposed in front of a small crowd without even talking to her about it beforehand is loving wild.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

DreamingofRoses posted:

At the risk of setting off the thread again:

what????

"I'm divorcing her because YOU guys called me an abuser and made me feel bad."

like what??? honestly good for her, this guy is doing her a favor because he's a loving moron and she should be glad to be rid of him.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA asking my daughter to pay me for cooking for her wedding?

quote:

I, a 46f, greatly enjoy cooking and baking. I've always told my kids if they had a small wedding I'd be happy to provide the food as a wedding gift.

My daughter "Leslie" is getting married soon. They're having 47 guests total so I offered to cook per my long standing offer and said I could do something like my peppered beef or jambalaya with some jalapeño cheesy biscuits. Leslie and her fiance "Will" took me up on it and said they'd help buy ingredients. Leslie sent me some recipes a few days ago and when I asked what they were for, she said they wanted to add one or two big pot dishes that weren't spicy so Will's family could have something to eat. I know that boy can't eat a popper or most my meals without getting red in the face but I didn't think his whole family was like that. Leslie said it's because his father has ulcers and stomach problems so Will's family was careful how they ate while Will was growing up.

I told Leslie I already told her what I was cooking for her wedding and she argued that I'm making it about me instead of listening to what the bride and groom want. I finally told her I'd cook the extra dishes but if she's going to treat me like I'm a caterer than I'll need her to pay me for all the extra prep and work. Leslie said that gifts are supposed to be what the person receiving them wants and that she might as well hire a caterer if she's going to pay and hung up.

I thought Leslie would cool down and come talk to me about how we'd handle this and reasonable payment for taking on extra cooking but my youngest told me when he went to visit Leslie she and Will were talking with a catering company. Was I wrong to ask her to pay me for cooking?

AITA for asking my housemate to put her puppy in puppy day care on my days off?

quote:

Six months ago my housemate got a 6 week old puppy (a labrador) with separation anxiety. She couldn’t even go for a shower because the glass separating them would cause him to howl. He’s gotten way better since but because he’s young, his bark is so high-pitched, it’s like a knife to my brain. On top of that he’s also a puppy so he destroys everything he can get his hands on. I’ve lost multiple plants because of him, a couple of shoes, he’s ripped apart almost every flyscreen door/window he can reach, the drain pipes, etc. Through all these things, I’ve been the one at home and she’s been at work. I’ve been the one dealing with the messes he makes. I’ve been putting up with it for 6 months, but this week he broke through the fence and got into the neighbours yard. I had to spend the rest of the day with him on his leash. I couldn’t do any of the things I’d had planned because I couldn’t leave him alone (he’d either run away or destroy everything).

I reached my breaking point two days ago and sent her a message asking her to do something about it. Maybe to send him to puppy day care on Monday and Tuesday (my days off from work) when she’s working. He’s gone before and absolutely loved it. Except she’s also pregnant and money is tight.

Today, she (34F), her baby daddy (~38M) and I (24F) sat down. It started with me saying all I have here, calmly, to which she responded by saying that he’s still just a puppy and he’ll grow out of it. I reiterated that I understand that, but the issues are now and something needs to be done now. Not when he becomes an adult. She just kept repeating that he’ll grow out of it From there it just went downhill to the point where the baby daddy and I were snapping at each other. He said I’m blowing things out of proportion and need to suck it up. That when I agreed to let my housemate have a dog, I agreed to him destroying everything. That me not realising this would happen is just me being naive, and taking responsibility for HER dog when she’s at work is necessary because I just need to take it for the team. I told him he wasn’t listening to what I was saying. I don’t want them to get rid of the puppy or anything. I just want the puppy and his messes to not be my responsibility on my days off work. Meanwhile my housemate didn’t say a thing after that first comment. She sat there while he snapped at me for half an hour and she didn’t even look at me while I was sobbing (frustrated tears).

All I was asking for was them to understand what I’m feeling and try to come to a compromise we can all be okay with. Instead I was told to just suck it up and stop being so childish. Was I asking too much?

Commenters are unanimous that the baby is going to be OP's responsibility, too.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

big dyke energy posted:

what????

"I'm divorcing her because YOU guys called me an abuser and made me feel bad."

like what??? honestly good for her, this guy is doing her a favor because he's a loving moron and she should be glad to be rid of him.

it's not that complicated. he is leaving his wife because she made a go bag. the rest of the post is only indirectly related, and it's just him yelling at reddit for being testerical idiots that give bad advice

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lt. Danger posted:

it's not that complicated. he is leaving his wife because she made a go bag. the rest of the post is only indirectly related, and it's just him yelling at reddit for being testerical idiots that give bad advice

quote:

Initially my feelings were very hurt but now I am realizing the gravity of situation I am in. I just cant risk my future on a wife who does not trust me because her mere act of making a go bag was used by people here to paint me as an abuser. They said that she must have reason to make a "go bag".

Seems like he's actually blaming reddit to me. Like "well people think I'm an abuser for her having a go bag, I cannot risk that, I must divorce."

I didn't think he was an abuser because she made a go-bag. I DO think he's out of his loving mind because of the update.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I give all of my friends who are getting married a go bag for their wedding gift. Their spouse gets a good wedding prank, like me announcing my love for them and how upset I am that they're marrying my friend. If they really loved each other they'll be willing to share both.

I just wish I could find a decent shelf stable party sub for the bag. I usually fill that gap with a puppy and a gift certificate for a paternity test.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think he wasn't able to work through his feelings about it because everyone he asked about it screamed at him that he was an abuser. possibly he should have asked somebody apart from reddit

like, the obvious solution was to recognise that the wife was stupidly imitating a social media thing and it meant nothing. unfortunately the internet was far too successful in convincing him otherwise and now no one involved is getting what they want

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Throw in some cans of beans and a shovel.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What's so divorce worthy about this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah his issue is that there are two positions in play, "she has made a go bag because you never know what can happen" and "she has made a go bag because you specifically have given her reason to think she might need one."

I can see how it would be frustrating to have a bunch of people just assume it must be the latter and call you an abuser, but if they're wrong then the sensible move would be to stop using reddit, not throw a monumental tantrum and overturn your whole life.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Her hunger strike and his candy bar solution make me think they should just stay married to keep them away from other people. They both seem inclined to pitch fits at the first sign of trouble.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What's so divorce worthy about this?

Appallingly poor play by whichever partner has black.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Midnight Voyager posted:

Seems like he's actually blaming reddit to me. Like "well people think I'm an abuser for her having a go bag, I cannot risk that, I must divorce."

I didn't think he was an abuser because she made a go-bag. I DO think he's out of his loving mind because of the update.

It gets better in the comments

quote:

Yes, I went to counseling. My wife found out a therapist and told me she was very good. Therapist told me to get over it and when I tried to present my side , therapist insulted me and started comparing me to her father. After half an hour of listening about how I am like her POS father, I had enough and walked out.

I am not enduring that again, ever

EDIT: Therapist compared me to therapists father. My wife did not compare me to her father

On someone in the comments explaining how they have a go bag because it makes them feel secure (history of abuse from a previous partner):

quote:

Interesting, you seem to have a sort of reverence for your "trauma".

I guess it makes you feel somehow different and therefore special. You are not, you are just an insignificant person like you always were.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DreamingofRoses posted:

It gets better in the comments

On someone in the comments explaining how they have a go bag because it makes them feel secure (history of abuse from a previous partner):

hahahaha what a piece of poo poo

You know, maybe he's so concerned about the optics of the internet thinking he's an abuser because he's actually a piece of poo poo. The kind who puts scare quotes around the word "trauma" and tells somone who'd been abused that they just want to feel special.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 11, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Man, I sure hope his newfound ire helps him flash all these red flags on the first date so nobody else wastes time on him, gently caress.

AITA because I won't put my parents on my approved visitors list with security and screening all their attempted "visits"

quote:

I love my parents and my little brother. I am not going low/no contact with them. They just have a problem understanding boundaries and that I have my own life now.

After college I moved out from my parents house and into an apartment. It was great. I gave my dad a key for emergencies. My parents used it for non emergency situations. They once dropped off my brother without asking because they had other family in town and needed the space.

I told them repeatedly that this was not acceptable behaviour and I took my key back. They had made copies and it happened again. I had the locks changed. That caused a problem. But it was "A" problem not "MY" problem.

I have been saving up and decided to pull the trigger on my first home purchase. I make a great living so I found a gated community I liked that has a security officer at the front gate 24/7. I'm dating but my boyfriend doesn't live with me. I like the safety of my neighborhood.

I did not give my parents a key. I also didn't put them on the approved visitors list. My boyfriend has a key and is on the list. Security doesn't need to call me to see if he can come in.

So they cannot just pop by. They can't just drop off some groceries for me. My mom can't come do some cleaning. My dad can't come do maintenance.

Well they can do all these things. They just need my permission first. And they hate it.

They keep asking me for a key and to be put on the list. I just remind them that they have proven to be untrustworthy in the past. This sets them off. They start saying that they aren't thieves and yadda yadda. I'm not going to change my mind but they are adamant that I am treating them poorly.

AITA?

lol and furthermore, lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

That therapist sounds extremely unethical

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mystes posted:

Spoiler alert: most therapists are hot loving garbage and shouldn't be practicing

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

mystes posted:

I'm more likely to believe we're dealing with an unreliable narrator.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Batterypowered7 posted:

Use an off-brand Cool Whip container as a go bag. Nobody will want to look inside to see what is in there.

You'll get busted when they're looking for a loose button.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for threatening to become a girl's step dad to troll her into blocking me and stop dragging me in a group chat ?

mystes posted:

Jenny (23F) blew up because I (24NB) said she'd be a lovely social worker bc of her specific autism symptoms + class bg. My gf (45F) said it was warranted because of how overwhelmed i got by the wall of text with triggering details of my abuse. I never told my GF that the fight started because Jenny called me a gold digger. I also never mentioned that I ended it an hour later by posting pics of Jenny's mom in the chat, ignoring her ranting and discussing the vacancy left by her dead dad*, and how i could fill said vacancy. 😬😬😬 Might of gone too far with this one.

Backstory: I lived with Jenny when I was houseless indefinitely. She only let me stay for two weeks because it would be too "distracting" to her studies. Jenny was incredibly rich, didn't work, and her parents paid her rent for a 2 bedroom. She admitted she got rejected from every grad school she applied to except for the one her mom was in charge of. Her mom bought her a condo in the city the school was in. She kept asking me how she should decorate it, completely ignorant to how uncomfortable this made me and my other friends.

Jenny was oblivious constantly to how she made others feel. She was actually the most incompetent person I've ever met in terms of comforting other, always tone deaf and completely absorbed with her own, single traumatic event. She made constant jokes about the abuser I was fleeing and even compared this stalked to a /serial killer/ documentary she watched, but never EVER showed any signs of internalizing how I almost lost my life to another person, how that might affect me or even just bum me out. Seriously, I've never met someone else who was so incapable of even being sensitive to issues that were /EXTREMELY SERIOUS/. Forget comforting, the stuff she routinely said to me and my other friends to try to cheer us up was beyond degrading. It was wearing on me a lot.

Jenny herself was neurodivergent. She often said her autism prevented her from understanding the feelings others had, reading their expressions, and tolerating crying or loud noise-- she forbid her musician roommate from doing both. None of those mean shes a worthless person, but all of those things would make someone a horrible therapist or social worker. Oh my God, literally every time I talked about my recent trauma, she would talk about herself and then blame her autism when I told her it just wasn't helping.

The final piece of this was I had a nervous breakdown and screamed at her over discord that she was a poo poo friend and needed to give up on social work, for like an hour. NOT MY PROUDEST, but I ALMOST DIED. I was living with her because SOMEONE WAS STALKING ME. and I would have liked to not have my abuse JOKED about.
HOW DID JENNY RESPOND!?

She began dragging me, through the mud, in the group chat, for, dating, an, older, woman, who, paid, for, my, air bnb, because, !!!she!!! wouldn't let me live with her for more than a week. I was HOMELESS. It became all about "OP you are such a b*tch, you are with a woman twice your age and she pays for everything now but you are still a miserable and angry person. You are so blah blah blah you are an ableist, you said I can't become a social worker bc of autism blah blah blah you have major major issues, Go back your rich granny and leech off of her you useless, hosed up little gold digger."

U_U Then, she started graphically describing how I deserved my abuse, so I shrimply began to troll. And yes, I pulled out my magnum oppus like loving playing blue eyes white dragon, oh yeah I slipped her a pristine Jenny's mom facebook photo and said "Hey you never said your mom was so cute. Maybe, I could leech off her next and become your new dad." Yes, her dad died.*
She blocked me immediately. Its OK. It was knives out for Jenny as soon as my GF gifted me a pair of $700 Isabel Marant shoes** , the most EXPENSIVE thing ive ever owned in my whole life, and Jenny saw me excited and called her mom to buy her a pair. It's, absolutely OK, if I am the rear end in a top hat. I wear my crown of thorns, judas that I am, but I really, really think Jenny was being cruel.

*he died 18 years ago

** the shoes are no more because i fell into my gf's rich friend's koi pond

sometimes i read an AITA and i feel a lot better about myself

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Wow, quality shopping at reasonable prices? Now that sounds like something to sing about!

Ooooooohhhhh Trader Joe's!
Oh baby, yeah!

Baptizing with water!

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I know I've read this before but I don't recall if it was here or elsewhere. Anyway, there's an update.

AITAH for telling my bf that his daughter is not allowed in my apartment because she doesn’t stop smuggling peanuts in?

quote:

I can’t have any contact with peanuts and I am terrified of them due to some bad experience ms ending up in the hospital. I have my shots now on me all the time. It is not exactly airborne but I could have irritation and if it for example touch something that had been in contact with peanuts i could have swollen eyes and ichy nose and throat. Ingesting is fatal.

She is 14 and has no respect what so ever for my anxiety. My bf and I moved in and she lives with us every other week. Now I told my bf that I don’t want her here because she is not respecting my boundaries. But that I understand that he doesn’t want to live with me in that case we could revert back to him being with me when he doesn’t have his daughter. He got very upset because he said that he loved me and wanted a real relationship and to live in one home. So I told him that maybe he should be with someone who isn’t allergic then. He thinks I am being very unfair. He said well, she will probably hate the next one too and the next and the next because she wants her mom and me to be together again so it wasn’t “me specifically” that she dislikes. I said that maybe he needs to take a break from dating then until she is onboard but he said that he couldn’t be single just because his daughter wants him to. Before me he was single for 6 years and that wasn’t good enough.

Before we decided to move in together, we have done some “trial” living together and never once did his daughter do anything about the nuts. But now for 4 months she has always peanuts with her. I don’t know why she is doing this. I thought we were cool. She just smirks and says maybe if you are so allergic, maybe you’re not meant to survive(a stand up comedy bit from Louis CK)

What a funny little sociopathic stepdaughter, joking about attempting to murder me. At what point does the daughter decide just bringing the allergen into the home isn't enough and starts putting it in OP's bed, or on her toothbrush, or in her food?

Update: my allergy and my bf’s daughter

quote:

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for really caring about a stranger with a dilemma. I was glad that I wasn’t wrong in my guts. I told my bf that I wanted to break up.

He was very sad and tried to reason with me. He suggested that we could live separately. His daughter will soon be an adult. I told him that being 18 doesn’t guarantee that she leaves the nest nor that he stops being a father either. Any time she could come across hardships and wants to move home and she needs to find that home. She couldn’t have it with me.

And about living separately, while it is fine now and some few years ahead. What about the future?

He was silent and listening to me. I felt overwhelmed because I love him. He said that the only way his daughter will be happy is when he is alone. She is in therapy but she has not shown any regards for her father or his life. She seems to not see him as an individual with feelings. He is just a father. I didn’t know what to tell him and just said that she probably needed time to grow up.

Until he moves out, his daughter is not allowed to be in my apartment. She called and threw a tantrum about her father choosing me instead. That she has the right to live with her father every other week and this shouldn’t change. I didn’t say anything, they need to fix this as a family, I am not a part of this family anymore.

He rented his apartment for a year’s contract so I don’t know how he will manage to find a new or terminate the lease so he could move back to his old apartment. Anyway he is staying here for a couple of months.

I am very sad that this beautiful relationship has come to an end. But I need to think about myself now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for threatening to become a girl's step dad to troll her into blocking me and stop dragging me in a group chat ?
a pair of $700 Isabel Marant shoes

Isabel Marant shoes, for reference:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fake Birkies for $700? Yeesh.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA asking my daughter to pay me for cooking for her wedding?

AITA for asking my housemate to put her puppy in puppy day care on my days off?

Commenters are unanimous that the baby is going to be OP's responsibility, too.

wtf why is she living with these people?? Is “housemate” a code for “terrible aunt/uncle” or something? She’s getting such an insane deal from the landlord housemate that taking care of someone else’s puppy all day while it destroys all her belongings is better than moving out??

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lagomorph Legion posted:

Baptizing with water!

I thought you were supposed to use gatorade?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Troublemaker posted:

I know I've read this before but I don't recall if it was here or elsewhere. Anyway, there's an update.

AITAH for telling my bf that his daughter is not allowed in my apartment because she doesn’t stop smuggling peanuts in?

What a funny little sociopathic stepdaughter, joking about attempting to murder me. At what point does the daughter decide just bringing the allergen into the home isn't enough and starts putting it in OP's bed, or on her toothbrush, or in her food?

Update: my allergy and my bf’s daughter

You know what would be a funny stocking stuffer, a Peanuts (Charles Schulz) calendar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

sometimes i read an AITA and i feel a lot better about myself

Forget it Jake. It’s Tumblrtown