Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Javid posted:

Has the Ohio law ever been challenged? I can see it getting dumpstered under the same logic that's requiring Colorado to put Trump on their ballots if it really mattered

they were trying to bar him under the 14th amendment for the CO case:

quote:

There was no equivocation in the Supreme Court’s short opinion: States do not have the power to remove a federal candidate – especially a president – from the ballot under the Constitution’s “insurrectionist ban.” It is Congress, the court wrote, that can enforce the provision, not states.

“The notion that the Constitution grants the states freer rein than Congress to decide how Section 3 should be enforced with respect to federal officer is simply implausible,” the court’s unsigned opinion read.

What that means is that the impact of the decision will sweep far wider than the controversy at issue in Colorado. It means that any state would be overstepping its power by trying to knock Trump off the ballot – a position that will almost certainly shut down similar “insurrectionist” lawsuits across the country.

states do have control on ballot access, however, which is why democrats are concentrating at the state level in trying to knock off third-party candidates.

and state parties control state primaries for federal office, which is why some states didn't even hold them this year but unilaterally declared biden to be the only democrat who qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I would buy that as an explanation if “last name” wasn’t an entirely ordinary and expected thing to say right there. Has nobody ever told you an anecdote where they referred to somebody by a single name then specified quickly whether it was first or last? Like his brains are melting and all but I’m more in favor of laughing at stuff that is actually an example of it and not stuff that you have to pretend you’ve never heard anyone speak English conversationally in order not to get

But whatever

SYQ

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this can all be settled with a simple drawing of the clock

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont understand why he was prompted to do this did the staff think biden could remember the name on his own and they didnt need to bother looking it up

They're amateurs who don't give a poo poo.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Nah and I don’t think there would be a coherent way to challenge it since it’s a perfectly reasonable law and everyone has plenty of knowledge of what the timeline is

https://www.axios.com/local/columbus/2024/05/10/biden-ohio-ballot-explained

quote:

A procedural issue could keep President Biden off the Ohio ballot in November, but Democrats are confident a solution can be found.

Why it matters: It would be unprecedented for a major party candidate to be left off the ballot, and doing so would have disastrous consequences for other Democrats up for election.

Catch up quick: Ohio election law requires political parties to certify the presidential ticket by Aug. 7.

But the Democratic National Convention in Chicago — where Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will be officially renominated is scheduled for Aug. 19-22.
State of play: Democrats aren't changing the convention dates, meaning it's up to the Ohio legislature to change the law to get Biden on the ballot.

This issue has come up in past election cycles.
In those cases, lawmakers simply changed the deadline for parties to certify candidates' names to the Ohio Secretary of State.

This seems easily solved by Democrats moving the convention up a couple of weeks

Instead I guess they really just want to roll the dice and hope Ohio Republicans blink first

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

they will one hundred percent lose the popular vote without it

granted thats probably going to happen anyway but it would still be funny

They already have something besides themselves to point at when they lose!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Oh yeah, why look for reasons that the supreme Court will shoot it down when we can just wait for the Democrats to do literally nothing instead

Silly me

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That being said apparently the packers have never drafted anyone by the name Riley so it’s a lie

Biden loves to tells stories where the verifiable details are complete lies, and when called on it, he just chuckles and then tells the story again

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Plan? Would? So it doesnt. He's done nothing & he's bragging about it. cool!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Programmer Humor posted:

this can all be settled with a simple drawing of the clock

:dementia:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

biden's whole thing is promising insultingly next to nothing and then providing regular nothing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Honestly I don’t beleive you but it’s not worth arguing over because either way the anecdote he told is a apparently a complete lie

I've heard people say that, but in the spirit of making of the genocide rapist, I will contend he read it wrong. Also, of course it's a lie regardless.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
The less on purpose party is depending on YOU the people who are given less on purpose!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BadOptics posted:

I love how Dems are big about "saving democracy" but seem to never know the rules of whichever democratic system they are wanting to save. See: Hillary thinking the popular vote would win her the Presidency.

They know the rules well enough to litigate to kick 3rd parties off the ballots in various states though.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1789402207336423910

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/VP/status/1789384680782839911

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress OFF

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

Thinking about the several billions reserved specifically for EV charger stations that resulted in only 7 charger stations built.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

barely even dented their GDP so what's the problem?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1789431010209182195

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Im sure the families of those 100,000 people are still feeling the effects today you loving dipshit egg man

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

psychopathic

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What is the point the eggheadee fucker is trying to make? Genocide isnt a big deal?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

Thinking about the several billions reserved specifically for EV charger stations that resulted in only 7 charger stations built.

its especially funny when huawei has base station cell radios even a untrained deliveryman could install and commission

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lmao

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wonder how many deaths MattY would find "pragmatic" and acceptable: 10,000? 50,000? 100,000? When you're a sociopath like Yglesias, dismissing the lives of people you've determined 'don't matter' is so easy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

Economy is doing so great Target locks up the socks and underwear

pretty sure the $20 socks cost $0.20 out from the chinese factory but you see it's the perfidious orientals that are ripping you off

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mr president, sir, sir, do you ship will and hannibal?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
He's trying to setup a gotcha by juxtaposing "the USA committed incredible war crimes in Vietnam" with "the Vietnamese economy is developed and strong as of TYOOL 2024", implying that you can't assert both at the same time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why would it be surprising that the country who won the war is doing well?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Willa Rogers posted:

The Ohio law was passed in 2014, so there've only been two sets of national conventions since then (one of them during covid) and the state legislature waived the rule both of those times.

But with Sherrod Brown up for reelection this year (which he wasn't either of the other times), and the current Senate being slightly D, and this year's Senate map worse for democrats, and Brown being among the last (if not the last) of democrats winning OH statewide, it makes political sense for them to gently caress over the democrats this year even though Biden would lose anyway, bc if Biden's not on the ballot fewer dems will turn out to vote for Brown.

Democracy.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

does he think the protestors are worried about the effects of the genocide on gaza's economy

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LuxuryLarva posted:

I feel sorry for all those guys decide to join the CIA and they have to pretend to be racist trans people on the internet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Palestinians starving in Rafah? That'll be great for our Q3 numbers!"
-- Matt Yglesias

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's trying to setup a gotcha by juxtaposing "the USA committed incredible war crimes in Vietnam" with "the Vietnamese economy is developed and strong as of TYOOL 2024", implying that you can't assert both at the same time

I expect similar things could be said about the economies of countries involved in any sort of mass death. It's almost like human life has no value in the monetary economy or something.

Hm.

Probably not something to think about too closely.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

egghead

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smeghead.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AmiYumi posted:

plz do not mock my 900 part ao3 epic delving into the specifics of the metroid omegaverse polycule

suddenly realizing the implications of the omega metroid

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bad egg.