Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like at that point the raptors are so Monsterified that they will go out of their way to smash their skulls through every single window (even when there's a door) just to pursue like, one prey. Its all part of the vibes. It is at its heart a deeply silly and fun film imo, like I completely stand by raptors getting kicked in the face and t-rexes stomping around San Diego, complete with Godzilla homage, devouring people outside of Blockbusters. It's pure creature feature in a way the first one wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Seriously this movie needed to end with Vince Vaughn being put in the electric chair. You even sabotaged the dude's gun while in his party?! Did you have a secret alliance with the loving t rex???

I mean, pretty much. He's a radical environmental activist. There's like, two or three T-Rexes in the entire world. He values them more than the people.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The thing about Malcolm is, as much as I love Goldblum, the character is a pseudo-intellectual imbecile who mostly just says things that were memetic and sounded "about right". That whole standing on the shoulders of geniuses thing is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You're just describing how scientific advancement works you gently caress!!

His character is well aware that he's critiquing the process of scientific advancement as a whole.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

His character is well aware that he's critiquing the process of scientific advancement as a whole.
I just think his argument is completely absurd and he just spouts a lot of cliches and bullshit. :shrug:

But this is Crichton after all. The man was a dingus.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I mean, pretty much. He's a radical environmental activist. There's like, two or three T-Rexes in the entire world. He values them more than the people.
Fair enough. I mean they could just clone more but I admire his commitment considering him taking out the ammo could have just as easily resulted in his own death by rex.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I basically think the issue with the Vince Vaughn stuff is that he doesn't play the character as the sort of fully-invested radical who'd rather die than let the hunter have the T-Rex. It works as a concept, I think, but I don't blame you for not finding it convincing on-screen.

In regards to Malcolm, yeah, I'm not saying I agree with his argument, just that I think his reference to Hammond/Wu standing on the shoulders of giants isn't unknowingly a description of how scientific advancement works. He's purposely taking a shot at all of it. Ellie Sattler is who to look for if you want a more moderate opinion. And in general she's a huge part of what The Lost World is missing. Sarah Harding just isn't as strong a character.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just remember being confused as a kid because Malcolm unambiguously died in the first book and Michael Crichton did a "somehow, Ian returned" so he could come back for the sequel

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I loathe Jurassic Park 2, it's bad on rare blockbuster fundamentals such as lousy editing and storyboarding
Seriously https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxckH-K5SqC8rTicfshtcWiV2MbJ94dVE4?si=gbeCGZUMJnpSMQFe
How the gently caress did she get there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

I just remember being confused as a kid because Malcolm unambiguously died in the first book and Michael Crichton did a "somehow, Ian returned" so he could come back for the sequel

Yeah "Oh poo poo Jelf Goldblum killed this part, we need to do a 'reports of my death were exaggerated' for sure!"

For some reason when I read Jurassic Park I pictured Ian Malcolm as African American so it was bizarre casting in my mind, but then I talked to other people who read the book and they're like "Why would you think that?" and I have no idea haha

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Malcolm from Cosby

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Medullah posted:

Yeah "Oh poo poo Jelf Goldblum killed this part, we need to do a 'reports of my death were exaggerated' for sure!"

For some reason when I read Jurassic Park I pictured Ian Malcolm as African American so it was bizarre casting in my mind, but then I talked to other people who read the book and they're like "Why would you think that?" and I have no idea haha

Shageletic posted:

Malcolm from Cosby

I also didn't picture him wearing a leather jacket which Crichton was very explicit out, so my assumption is I read a passage describing his black leather jacket and uhh...missed part of it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
By coincidence, I've just been catching up with Jurassic World Dominion. There's a cool idea there - dinos have become commonplace, they're an ecological threat, everyone is looking to exploit them or make a buck.

And man, JWD just ladles the mediocrity on. There's so much wrong that I could make a very long list but:

* Too many characters
* Too many subplots
* Too many people screaming at green-screened dinos
* Chris Pratt acting by squinting and clenching his jaw
* Apparently you can hold off a vicious dino by crouching and holding your hand out in front of you, because everyone does it
* Evil company plot because ... but then no one's motive makes sense in this film
* Evil Tim Cook
* So many repeats and references to the first film

As has been said, you could criticize JP in several ways, but it's well made enough that you don't think of the plot holes. JWD makes you think constantly about the plot holes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I enjoyed my JP and Lost World rewatches after maybe not having seen them in 15 years but I don't think I'll ever go any further than the second Jurassic World.
Fool me once...

I do technically have JPIII but I'm not really enthusiastic about rewatching it even if it is probably better than the JW movies. Spielberg should've just directed that himself. What else did he have going on??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
JPIII is also shockingly refreshing in light of modern day blockbuster sins. There's not much meat on its bones, but at least it's not bloated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nonathlon posted:

By coincidence, I've just been catching up with Jurassic World Dominion. There's a cool idea there - dinos have become commonplace, they're an ecological threat, everyone is looking to exploit them or make a buck.

And man, JWD just ladles the mediocrity on. There's so much wrong that I could make a very long list but:

* Too many characters
* Too many subplots
* Too many people screaming at green-screened dinos
* Chris Pratt acting by squinting and clenching his jaw
* Apparently you can hold off a vicious dino by crouching and holding your hand out in front of you, because everyone does it
* Evil company plot because ... but then no one's motive makes sense in this film
* Evil Tim Cook
* So many repeats and references to the first film

As has been said, you could criticize JP in several ways, but it's well made enough that you don't think of the plot holes. JWD makes you think constantly about the plot holes.

I couldn't handle it past the awful CGI dinosaur in the first scene (or one of the first scenes?). If you're going to lead with something that low-rent despite having a larger budget than god I'm moving on.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

nonathlon posted:

* Too many characters

I hated the climax where the whole good human ensemble assembles and they have this group of something like almost a dozen people bunched together for the duration of the final action scene. Surely they could have had the dinos chow down on some of them earlier in the film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watching that TWISTERS trailer made me instantly recognize all THE LOST WORLD dna. Also the movie should be about two sisters.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Watching that TWISTERS trailer made me instantly recognize all THE LOST WORLD dna. Also the movie should be about two sisters.
Hey if someone uses gymnastics to kick a tornado in the face, I will go see that movie

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

High Warlord Zog posted:

I hated the climax where the whole good human ensemble assembles and they have this group of something like almost a dozen people bunched together for the duration of the final action scene. Surely they could have had the dinos chow down on some of them earlier in the film.

That's a good point. For large parts of the film, there's too many characters for the things that need to happen.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does the trailer ask where the tornado was on January 6th?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Upsidads posted:

Does the trailer ask where the tornado was on January 6th?

Once you hear the answer you might be blown away.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Still cracks me up that Malcom fully dies in Jurassic Park the book, but since he survived in the movie, Michael Crichton wrote the character back in the sequel with a "I dunno, I guess he's still alive somehow, don't worry about it" plot.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Malcom predicted his return. Life, uh, finds a way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It really doesn't even matter that Vaughn takes the one dudes bullets because literally noone in this army of dino-wrangling mercs ever bothers to just turn around and shoot a dinosaurs in the face. Like at least Aliens made a point of disarming the marines before the space panthers killed them. In JP2 everyone just chucks their gun and hauls rear end like an idiot.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season 2 of BSG is just the most INTENSE poo poo happening every minute of every episode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

It really doesn't even matter that Vaughn takes the one dudes bullets because literally noone in this army of dino-wrangling mercs ever bothers to just turn around and shoot a dinosaurs in the face. Like at least Aliens made a point of disarming the marines before the space panthers killed them. In JP2 everyone just chucks their gun and hauls rear end like an idiot.
Muldoon is willing to shoot the gently caress out of a dinosaur and it was his bullets. He's the only competent merc. You're right about everyone else. Also liked going off into the jungle to pee (just go behind a loving tree dude!!) and not even checking to make sure your friend heard you (although your friend listening to a Walkman while going through a Dino Infested jungle is some true merc incompetence).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Finally watched Ripley and really enjoyed it. It's really hardly like the famous movie at all, other than following the same general story - kind of a noir version. All the Caravaggio poo poo really resonated with me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Glottis posted:

Finally watched Ripley and really enjoyed it. It's really hardly like the famous movie at all, other than following the same general story - kind of a noir version. All the Caravaggio poo poo really resonated with me.

Hey man alien was also pretty great

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

That scene in aliens is so silly, they just keep some ammo in their pockets and load their guns again right away, it doesn't stop them from shooting at all

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watched the gran turismo movie on the airplane, it was sweet. if you like gran turismo that is. started out kinda awkward but lots of payoffs and it builds really good imo. probably a solid action movie for anyone who liked tokyo drift or the f1 docuseries

put on the holdovers, I love paul giamatti dude

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 15, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

That scene in aliens is so silly, they just keep some ammo in their pockets and load their guns again right away, it doesn't stop them from shooting at all

I think it's a scene that doesn't make much sense of you've never worked for a bureaucratic organization, but if you have it's the most perfect scene on film.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Famethrowa posted:

my awful take is that I genuinely find Spielberg unbearable in most of his work. he just doesn't hit for me and I'm not sure why. Too much schmaltz?

his fun action movies are fun but anytime he tries to go deep it loses me

While I don't feel this quite as strongly as you seem to, I definitely know there this is coming from.

Saving Private Ryan gets a bit away from me because (despite the gore and war crimes) I have too much fun.

Munich, on the other hand, makes me feel like he can't use his normally deft hand with something so dour despite me actually liking the movie more than most seem to.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

e oops

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Pigma_Micron posted:

While I don't feel this quite as strongly as you seem to, I definitely know there this is coming from.

Saving Private Ryan gets a bit away from me because (despite the gore and war crimes) I have too much fun.

Munich, on the other hand, makes me feel like he can't use his normally deft hand with something so dour despite me actually liking the movie more than most seem to.

I'm not a Spielberg fan by any means but Saving Private Ryan is fantastic. Great action sequences, great acting and it's paced really well especially for being as long as it is.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Saving Private Ryan is like family friendly Apocalypse Now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've seen Saving Private Ryan many times but when I watch it now it just pisses me off. Tom Hanks' Captain Miller just keeps getting his men in dumbass situations that end up with them getting killed. He's got a mission and orders but half the movie is stupid sidequests.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Eh kind of. Saving Private Ryan is more straightforward than Apocalypze, but Ryan definitely has more gore and intense violence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've seen Saving Private Ryan many times but when I watch it now it just pisses me off. Tom Hanks' Captain Miller just keeps getting his men in dumbass situations that end up with them getting killed. He's got a mission and orders but half the movie is stupid sidequests.

This is one of the most inane criticisms of the film I can imagine. On the way to Ryan there's two vignettes and an attack on a German fortification. There's a scene where the men debate keeping to the mission or taking out the German position - it's very extremely important in terms of establishing the squad's dynamics and some key personalities.

Sounds like you just watched the movie too much and it became a collection of tropes. That's a bummer.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What channel is saving private Ryan on

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

What channel is saving private Ryan on

The English Channel, well at least the first bit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

ya'll watch Delicious in Dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Phantom Menace and The Lost World have both aged gracefully because of the degeneration of blockbuster films over the last 25 years. The only Disney movie willing to try new goofy bullshit like PM is TLJ. Otherwise they feel so desperately self-referential and the fact that they're more so than the anakin prequel is shocking.
Hadn't seen it since I was a kid, but like The Lost World it's a series of highly competent action set pieces that were once considered part of a meandering bloated film but feel almost well paced now when you realize every random rear end mainstream release is 40 minutes longer than them now.
Honestly remove the racist voices and you've got a fantastic Star Wars movie. The RLM criticisms that went memetic now seem so silly now; I like the political jargon (this is a series loved by adults and children and that's in the spirit of sci fi jibberish, how disingenuous is it for a group of adults from the midwest to be like "this is byzantine and obtuse for children's media but also we're gonna pretend this isnt also a cultural event that had widespread appeal, why else are we adults making our careers talking about these movies for hours until we're senior citizens"), and there's something charmingly goofy about the dialogue and practical effect alien suits. Jake Lloyd speaking that alien language is hilarious. It moves quicker than every Marvel movie ever and by the time Duel of the Fates plays you're in for some good times.
The real problem other than the super racist flash Gordon alien accents is the Jar Jar Conundrum, but he feels more harmless than ever on a movie screen in 2024. He can't hurt you anymore. For some reason his animation has aged worse than any other element so its like the Jedi randomly get a character from a Shrek PS4 game who does random bad slapstick

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 15, 2024