Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm loving the new Contra stuff. I just love that Brownie is in a new game in 2024 :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Halls of Torment just got its big pre 1.0 update, it's on the experimental branch now

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2218750/view/4184484271465716807?l=english

nerox
May 20, 2001
If the Vampire Survivor devs keep releasing DLC, I am going to have over :10bux: invested into this game that I have only gotten 100 hours of gameplay from.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like Halls of Torment but these dumb achievements that need you to min/max a build in the weirdest ways possible are not fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Some of them point you towards a fun build but with every new patch they really stretch a few to the point of tedium.

Learning you can solo the game by stacking attack speed/crit splitting phantom needles rules and is cool. Pretending I care about Golems/Phantom Warriors not so much, though the PWs get funny if you get their dash shockwaves to cover the whole screen.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

just adding quest tracking and the menu ingame makes it so much more tolerable

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I remember having a bit of a hard time with some of the achievements in the previous update then after I finished them all, I realized that they added physical and magical damage upgrades to the metaprogression pillar thing

victrix posted:

just adding quest tracking and the menu ingame makes it so much more tolerable

Yeah that would be really nice

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Yeah that would be really nice

I mean it *is* nice, they added it in this patch :v:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ah my bad, I didn't read the patch notes for the beta

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

explosivo posted:

I'm loving the new Contra stuff. I just love that Brownie is in a new game in 2024 :3:

SAME. Brownie was my go to when I got Hard Corps for christmas all those years ago. But Brad Fang is also really good in the expansion. Especially in the other areas besides Mad Forest. Seriously give him a try in locations like Dairy Plant and Inlaid Library. He does just as good as Colonel Bahamut.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

SAME. Brownie was my go to when I got Hard Corps for christmas all those years ago. But Brad Fang is also really good in the expansion. Especially in the other areas besides Mad Forest. Seriously give him a try in locations like Dairy Plant and Inlaid Library. He does just as good as Colonel Bahamut.

absolutely a paragraph consisting of words

I love videogames

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

explosivo posted:

This rules. Been getting into VS again and catching up with the last few updates now that they have cloud save functionality and I can switch between PC, my phone, or my retroid pocket as I see fit so I picked this up, although it seems like the mobile version may not have been updated yet.

How does the cloud save function work? I don't see the option anywhere on my pc or ios version.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nfcknblvbl posted:

How does the cloud save function work? I don't see the option anywhere on my pc or ios version.

You need to be on the beta branch for both versions of the game, not sure how it works on ios but on android there's a way to opt into betas on the store page. Once you do there'll be a new icon in the upper left corner for it. Steam you right click the game > properties > Betas then choose public-beta.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 11, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

explosivo posted:

You need to be on the beta branch for both versions of the game, not sure how it works on ios but on android there's a way to opt into betas on the store page. Once you do there'll be a new icon in the upper left corner for it. Steam you right click the game > properties > Betas then choose public-beta.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

The iOS beta invite code is here for the next 83 days

https://testflight.apple.com/join/Q3eOYwKC

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

victrix posted:

I love videogames

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't. I'll kill you!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

This game's nuttier than I remember last time I played it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For VS, should I be concentrating on the Unlocks, aside from collecting any stage relics? I haven't really touched any of the expansion content yet.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Unlucky7 posted:

For VS, should I be concentrating on the Unlocks, aside from collecting any stage relics? I haven't really touched any of the expansion content yet.

anything you can do that works towards metaprogression is important. I'd dip into the expansion stuff briefly just because the unlocks for each are generally pretty fast, though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bleh, ran out the time limit at the tower and was one level short of 80 for the next area unlock :argh:

EDIT: Did get several unlocks anyway so it wasn't like it was a waste. Still annoying though.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Still can't believe the amount of value ive gotten out of the $9 spent, inclusive of dlc, on this game

Nordic Ashes has shaped up quite nicely for 1.0, too. Saw that Army of Ruin has had a few updates since I last played, so gonna re-100% it I think.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The remixes in the VS Contra dlc are sick

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Soulstone Survivors had another update adding the engineer, weapon crafting, and other stuff: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2066020/view/4207002269563127062?l=english

edit: looks like a bunch of bullet heavens updated today due to the sale, deep rock, artifact seekers, strive for light survival, probably others too

victrix fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 13, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Soulstone survivors is one of those titles that just resides in the cesspit of medicore along with Army of Ruin / Time Wasters / Spirit Hunters / Project Lazarus.
I generally hate it when you have zero readability on the screen especially with projectile/area attacks from enemies. I think VS does a good job at keeping things somewhat clear even when enemies fire at you which is really rare.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it genuinely is easier to deal with sprites for readability in huge messes over 3D stuff, which tends to be pretty dull and washed out and everything blends together. 3D stuff can do better but it tends to require more art effort than people are putting into $5 cash-ins.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really wanted to like project lazarus and the other mecha survivors

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

there's been like three new ones recently, but every single one of them burns me so I have yet to try the latest few

shmup or mech+vs is so obvious and no one can make a good one

same issue with arpgs, they're all cursed if they try to sci-fi (why is Dreadhunter $35)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Third World Reagan posted:

Same

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FrickenMoron posted:

I think VS does a good job at keeping things somewhat clear even when enemies fire at you which is really rare.

There's two layers to that. One, most things in VS do not actually do anything beyond contact damage. Two, projectile attacks or area attacks are the highest rendered layer of all things.

SSS could easily fix that second one, I agree, but honestly turning down the opacity of your own stuff gets you 90% of the way there, so like... meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The mech survivor stuff tends to feel too Mechwarrior. They need to go full-crazy and have a gimmick where you have a body and then Left Arm/Right Arm/Left Leg/Right Leg/Backpack each of which gives you a different super robot weapon. Mazinger Chest starts with Breast Fire, Getter Chest starts with Getter Beam, Gundam Chest starts with gatting guns, etc.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kyrosiris posted:

There's two layers to that. One, most things in VS do not actually do anything beyond contact damage. Two, projectile attacks or area attacks are the highest rendered layer of all things.

SSS could easily fix that second one, I agree, but honestly turning down the opacity of your own stuff gets you 90% of the way there, so like... meh.

Nordic Ashes has the same problem, especially in later stages there are enemies who will spawn damage zones on the floor that will hit you if you keep moving in the same direction and they're barely visible unless you turn down effect visibility all the way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FrickenMoron posted:

Soulstone survivors is one of those titles that just resides in the cesspit of medicore along with Army of Ruin / Time Wasters / Spirit Hunters / Project Lazarus.
I generally hate it when you have zero readability on the screen especially with projectile/area attacks from enemies. I think VS does a good job at keeping things somewhat clear even when enemies fire at you which is really rare.

Aw Army of Ruin wasn't that bad I thought, it has a charming art style and it feels pretty good to play.

It's just a little annoying that you run out of things to upgrade during a run a little too quickly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Deakul posted:

Aw Army of Ruin wasn't that bad I thought, it has a charming art style and it feels pretty good to play.

It's just a little annoying that you run out of things to upgrade during a run a little too quickly.

It's both that and that it's too easy overall. Character balance is a huge mess.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Maybe it broke my brain playing it prior to it's most recent version, but SSS is practically relaxing at the minimum of the maximum difficulty. I enjoy it and Nordic Ashes though they both pretty much require you dial down the opacity a fair amount. I had some frustration with the pace of Army of Ruin, but I'll have to give it another shot.

The new character for SSS definitely left me feeling like I'd accidently booted up Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor. First weapon is minigun and second is turret spam. Feels familiar, though quite strong. Definitely feels better than the Monkey King did.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

in Nordic and similar games, change the enemy damage zones to magenta/pink instead of red, way easier to see, color blindness permitting

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Deakul posted:

i liked it enough that i got 100% cheevos but i would say it is fairly mid nowadays relative to all the other offerings. it is fine it just doesnt really do anything exciting. also they havent added anything at all to it after launch so it is just stagnant.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does the hall of torment beta progress carry over to the main branch once that gets updated?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes, I've been in the beta branch before. Edit: The quest tracker is an absolute godsend. Also better terminology on upgrades.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gatekeeper

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106670/Gatekeeper/

Ruindog

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2641760/Ruindog/

Had my eyes on these two for awhile. They both have prologues to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
army of ruin has a top tier ui but is otherwise pretty boring. the weapons lack impact, too.