Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

:lol: if you can't tell that's a gimmick account

a really lovely and annoying one, but one nonetheless:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

pretty sure the $20 socks cost $0.20 out from the chinese factory but you see it's the perfidious orientals that are ripping you off

Its insane what they charge for socks and underwear

This is all post pandemic when I used to go there before the pandemic none of that stuff was locked up. Hell on my way out I went to pick up some deodorant and a new pair of nailclippers and the nail clippers were all locked up. Do the Stancil's ever interact with the world outside Twitter?

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 01:18 on May 12, 2024

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
sitting here thinking about how an actual argument ive seen floating across certain threads is "why do these guys pretend to care about the gaza situation NOW when theyve never had such views in the past?"

.... the more I think about it just gets me increasingly angrier and id Perma/3-Week them if I could. Its just a callous, bitchmade, borderline sociopathic take:bang:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 01:41 on May 12, 2024

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i know matty's whole thing is being disingenuous for clicks but that paper is not really what he's saying it is. the authors make it really clear this is a field with very few empirical studies and in the introduction they emphasize that their work is really about comparing neoclassical models of economic development to alternative models. They also have these passages in the introduction:

quote:

One limitation is that while this econometric strategy provides estimates of differences across districts, the approach is unable to capture aggregate nation-wide effects of the war on Vietnamese development. The counterfactual – Vietnamese economic performance in the absence of the “American War” – cannot be observed or estimated. This is potentially important to the extent that the war led to major institutional and social changes, or if the cross-region spillovers of the war within Vietnam were large. Still the rapid rate of economic growth in Vietnam since the early 1990s – at 6% on average between 1993 and 2003 (World Bank, 2004) – indicates that any nation-wide war impacts on economic growth rates were not persistently negative, and did not generate a national-level poverty trap.

Poverty traps can also be averted by government redistribution of capital towards poorer regions, lifting them above the poverty trap threshold, and thus ultimately generating sustained saving, investment and growth.

Another major difference between postwar Vietnam and Japan is that the former was a centrally planned economy until it launched market reforms in the late 1980s while the latter was always a market economy. This raises the question of what general lessons we can learn from these empirical studies, since other countries with different institutions might have reacted differently.

To be absolutely clear, the humanitarian costs of the Vietnam War itself – which led to millions of civilian deaths by all accounts – were massive and the short term disruptive economic effects were certainly quite strong. No matter how rapid the recovery, the war, in addition to all the direct pain and suffering it wrought, meant an enormous amount of time and energy was wasted fighting rather than engaging in economically productive activities. Vietnam's southeast Asian neighbors did not suffer from the American War, and income per capita was $16,481 in Malaysia and $8666 in Thailand but only $3256 in Vietnam in 2005 (in 2005 U.S. dollars at PPP).7 This gap provides suggestive evidence that Vietnam, despite its high recent growth rates, might be much richer today had it not been for the war, although this is admittedly speculative given all of the other institutional, social and policy differences between these countries.

So the principal finding of the paper is subtly, but critically, different from what Matt is implying. It is not saying that we bombed Vietnam and nothing happened to their economy. It is saying that heavily bombed areas did not experience regional poverty traps--a phenomenon where local economies from heavily bombed regions did not recover as easily as it did elsewhere where the bombing was lighter.

I have not read past the introduction but one question I have is that, since the authors noted that careful redistribution of capital can help avoid poverty traps, and that North Vietnam was communist, was there any such movement of capital to help alleviate localized effects of bombing?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

deleted like a coward

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PhilippAchtel posted:

deleted like a coward

cyberbullying works

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What did it say

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

What did it say

This, but for Vietnam

Actually, here you go:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jesus

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Liberalism sees no inherent value in life (of people or non-humans).

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

That might be the worst thing Eggman's ever posted

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

anybody else remember when yglesias tweeted that he had covid then posted pictures of himself riding the bus around a couple of hours later?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont understand why he was prompted to do this did the staff think biden could remember the name on his own and they didnt need to bother looking it up

my guess is the person is made up and the staff put LAST NAME in there as a placeholder while they workshopped the best non-threatening but idpol correct last name to use and then forgot to do it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Some Guy TT posted:

Did the Biden administration have unfettered access for a large portion of 2021 to Donald Trump's transition documents and papers that were later shipped from storage near Washington, D.C., to Mar-a-Lago in Florida? No, that's not true: The General Services Administration, which provides transition support for outgoing presidents, told Lead Stories that the documents were "accessible only to the former president's Outgoing Transition Staff and those who they permitted." There was never unsupervised access to those documents, a spokesperson for the federal agency said.

The claim appeared in a post (archived here) on Facebook by Peggy Traeger Tierney on April 27, 2024. The post's caption said:

This is what the post looked like on Facebook at the time of writing:

The General Services Administration (GSA) is a U.S. federal agency that manages government property and records and provides services to the federal government. It additionally provides transition support for outgoing presidents. In this case, Donald Trump.

In a May 8, 2024, email, a GSA spokesperson told Lead Stories that the agency never had unsupervised access to the Trump documents mentioned in the social media post, which were stored at a facility in the Crystal City neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia. They said the materials were managed by Trump's team:

The GSA said this about the chain of custody for the papers:

Visual evidence comes from an image of the boxes obtained by Bloomberg from the GSA and included in an article published on October 5, 2022, called "Trump Says US Agency Packed Top-Secret Documents. These Emails Suggest Otherwise," with the subheading: "A federal agency worked with Trump staff to move the boxes that were already packed and loaded on pallets, emails show."

The caption for the photo says:

This is what the image looked like on the Bloomberg website at the time of writing:

The GSA spokesperson told Lead Stories that the task of placing the boxes onto pallets and securely wrapping each one with shrink-wrap fell under the responsibility of the Trump transition team. They said:

The GSA email concluded with the agency saying it did not know what was in the boxes that were sent to Florida. It said:

interesting. thank you!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

anybody else remember when yglesias tweeted that he had covid then posted pictures of himself riding the bus around a couple of hours later?

That bus ride had no lasting effect on the GDP so who cares

Mad at my phone for autocorrecting my "eggect" typo bc it fit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Danann posted:

Thinking about the several billions reserved specifically for EV charger stations that resulted in only 7 charger stations built.

When media outlets like this one (and dozens of others) print nothing but misinformation campaigns, hit-pieces, and dystopian warnings against tech innovators - it's not hard to understand why the public is skeptical and even hostile towards companies trying to innovate.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/NewYorker/status/1789480413259317626

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

vile

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

would it kill universities to ask for a tribal membership card or CDIB when hiring people who claim to be native lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Why are there so many white women claiming to be native american? Are there white guys that do this in academia too? I feel like I've only heard of women doing this

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

biceps crimes posted:

Why are there so many white women claiming to be native american? Are there white guys that do this in academia too? I feel like I've only heard of women doing this

victim claiming, its what liberals all crave

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

biceps crimes posted:

it is extremely common for white families in the US to claim that some distant ancestor was a Native American, and for them to tell their kids so at an age when they’ll completely believe it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

tbf in this specific story it was some bullshit her mother made up, to the point of taking the kids to native events and meetups, and she didn't start questioning it until after she it made it her professional identity

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
can corroborate that it's a pervasive bit of "polite" overt racism that white americans can bask in to absolve themselves of introspection

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Zoran posted:

it is extremely common for white families in the US to claim that some distant ancestor was a Native American, and for them to tell their kids so at an age when they’ll completely believe it

wtf

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

There was a black guy who claimed to be Cuban who turned out to have no connections to Cuba whatsoever (H G Carrillo)

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
the hilarious double-whammy of it is that "im 1/64th cherokee" was originally a meme intended to argue away accusations of one's perceived "swarthiness" as being of black ancestry

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

joepinetree posted:

There was a black guy who claimed to be Cuban who turned out to have no connections to Cuba whatsoever (H G Carrillo)

also white woman jessica krug who pretended to be black

both GWU professors lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

Matt "Hootington" Yglesias

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My mom / aunts totally repeated the "our great grandmother was dakota" poo poo all the time when I was a kid and I have no idea if they still claim it but I figured it was bullshit pretty early and my sister did a DNA test and confirmed we are not infact any part native american in our family lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

elizabeths must be stopped

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

My mom / aunts totally repeated the "our great grandmother was dakota" poo poo all the time when I was a kid and I have no idea if they still claim it but I figured it was bullshit pretty early and my sister did a DNA test and confirmed we are not infact any part native american in our family lol

liz warren is 1/1024th more native than you

oof

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

stumblebum posted:

the hilarious double-whammy of it is that "im 1/64th cherokee" was originally a meme intended to argue away accusations of one's perceived "swarthiness" as being of black ancestry
it is this

then it was a previous generational version of "i have a black friend so i can say it"

and then that got passed down uncritically bc ppl who think mayo is too spicy love to claim victimhood

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

World War Mammories posted:

suddenly realizing the implications of the omega metroid
i lovehatelove this subforum

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

they got a cherokee princess somewhere back in their family tree

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

insane clown pussy posted:

they got a cherokee princess somewhere back in their family tree

Thank you Mario, but our Cherokee princess is in another family tree!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's also about justifying the settler colony and genocide

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

what the gently caress

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nichael posted:

elizabeths must be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

my guess is the person is made up and the staff put LAST NAME in there as a placeholder while they workshopped the best non-threatening but idpol correct last name to use and then forgot to do it.

I mean if anything LastName is probably in there because hes supposed to give him one off the cuff like Riley Murphy the most irish theologian that ever lived. But Biden's brain is the consistency of paté so he just read Last Name. Or maybe the reverse Riley is the last name and he was suppsoed ro bullshit a first name