Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i would be the equivalent of a joker guy but for ferengi and i'd make holo memes with pictures of the grand negus looking badass and hard withinspirational quotes about hustling, getting latinum, and moving past the haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roger Catman was arguably the most important person in the history of American cinema. Absolute legend.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rip Roger corman, you made a lot of bad and some fun movies.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i loved that guy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There would certainly be no RLM without corman, on several levels. Whether that be a good or bad legacy, well that's what our posts determine

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

piratepilates posted:

People will be like "oh I'd be a captain Kirk type", "oh I'd be a sisko".

Let's be real, we'd all be dumb versions of Barclay.

With some neelixes thrown in there, you know who you are, creeps.
I think if I were on the star trek enterprise I would actually be like iceman from the xmen and use my ice powers to freeze the klingorns

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

rip Harvey Corman I'll rewatch the star wars holiday special in your honor

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

so sad. he was only 98

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

rip Harvey Corman I'll rewatch the star wars holiday special in your honor

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
drat, I thought he could hit 100

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
rip the director of the first marvel movie

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

RIP Roger Carman, rapping about Jesus up in heaven rn :pray:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/splices spaceship footage from Battle Beyond the Stars into his funeral

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

rest in peace to all my rogers out there

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

a legend in being horny but not TOO horny

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I noticed this

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

That DICK! posted:

a legend in being horny but not TOO horny

Many posters could learn from his example

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gripweed posted:

Roger Corman was arguably the most important person in the history of American cinema. Absolute legend.

He absolutely is. He gave so many actors, directors, and writers their start.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Many posters could learn from his example

He knew exactly what people wanted and gave it to them. No wonder his movies always made a profit :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A good pickup for this thread

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I don't know who this Roger Corman guy is. Was he a key grip or a best boy or what? what was he damnit

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Meat Wagon posted:

I don't know who this Roger Corman guy is. Was he a key grip or a best boy or what? what was he damnit

Backup dancer for The Temptations

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Meat Wagon posted:

He was an actor best known for his role as "Roger Corman" in the classic Beverly Hills, 90210 episode "Fade In, Fade Out". Not much more is known about him past that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

He was best known for his small role in Godfather 2.

Edit: but seriously. Go check out his wiki page. Look at the people who got their start with him. He’s the daddy of New Hollywood. He also introduced people like Bergmar, Fellini, and Kurosawa to U.S. audiences.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2024

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

starkebn posted:

Speaking of Andy Serkis, has anyone seen Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes? I liked the first two of the newest movies, but haven't watched the third one so don't know if it starts going downhill.

I went to see it. It was... okay. A 2 out of 4 star if there ever was one. Especially because I went to see Fall Guy a few weeks ago, which was just a perfectly paced and written "action movie," so this just felt stodgy and like it wanted to be more than it is.

I remember really liking the first three movies, but this one just felt kind of tortured and vision-less compared to that. I went in with an expectation of: Okay, we finished the "trilogy", now they're gonna subvert expectations by doing the flip side of the original movie, but from the side of the apes. So I'm expecting the human who can talk (gasp!) to be an astronaut, Raka to be Dr. Zaius, etc etc. Then as the movie goes on I'm realizing they're *not* doing this, and at first I'm a little relieved that they want to tell their own story, but their own story was so bad I just wanted to see the campy re-imagining instead.

I suppose it suffers a lot from having to rebuild its entire cast, but none of them are likeable; the protagonist, Noa, is shown as quiet and brooding and is supposed to be smart and respected by other characters for it, but it's all unearned; he arrives in the eponymous Kingdom, and the King Proximus is meant to be the antagonist and villain, but he just hosts a dinner for Noa and tells him his plans and just lets him do whatever he wants to foil said plans. There's a brief pat on the back congratulating him on fixing a taser as if it's an impressive feat; if it's supposed to be impressive than who made all the loving tasers they're using in the first place?? Then there's more Action scenes and the King shows up and decides to kill Noa, which backfires on him. Happy ending, although... can apes and humans co exist??? And the humans have a cure for the virus(?) that was saved on a hard drive, so presumably the next movie will be about : Can humans and apes co exist??? Which was just the plot of the first trilogy.

It feels like it could have been an actual interesting movie or set up for another trilogy if they had treated it more seriously. Show the apes assembling an actual society that mirrors the evils of humanity's past societies, like, you know, an actual Kingdom, instead of just a guy named King who may as well be a generic Marvel villain with no followers or servants or anything.

It's probably the exact type of Hollywood Blockbuster that Mike could actually see a lot of potential for an enjoyable movie in, and they reviewed the other planet of the apes movies, so they might half in the bag it. I'd have to go rewatch their reviews of the old ones to get a sense of how much they'd tear into it though.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

roger corman is fun to listen to. wise, with the voice of a teddy bear

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

piratepilates posted:

That poo poo rocked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That DICK! posted:

roger corman is fun to listen to. wise, with the voice of a teddy bear

I’ve listened and watch interviews, seen him at a con panel, and yeah, he’s a great story teller.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

HDR is good and some light motion smoothing is good. Get on my level cinemailures.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

First of May posted:

HDR is good and some light motion smoothing is good. Get on my level cinemailures.

Tom Cruise is going to send his goons after you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/abs_sweetmarie/status/1789473428510015615

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The original Little Shop of Horrors being shot on sets from another one of his films in the two days before they were torn down is one of my favorite bits of Hollywood trivia. What a madman rip to the best to ever do it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 12, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Francis Ford Coppola got to direct his first movie because Corman rented a castle for another movie and they wrapped on that a week ahead of schedule so he was like, "hey kid, we already paid for this castle for another week, can you make a movie with that?"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijAw7tOljEA

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tom Cruise is going to send his goons after you.

Look, motion smoothing was bad and is now good, just like Tom Cruise.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I motion that for the rest of this weekend this thread is the official Roger Corman Story Thread

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2023-10-02/ron-howard-joe-dante-salute-roger-corman-beyond-fest

quote:

Before the start of the panel, two surprise tribute videos were played. “Tár” filmmaker Todd Field, who acted in three films for Corman early in his career, celebrated his “amazing, unparalleled impact on so many in the industry.” Field also recounted how, at a test screening of Carl Franklin’s “Full Fathom Five,” Corman declined anything from the concession stand before the movie while Field got a large tub of popcorn. At some point during the movie, Field noticed Corman’s hand sneaking popcorn from his tub.

“And I thought, smart guy,” said Field. “This is why you’re Roger Corman.”

Corman himself: “I think the great heads of studios in the past understood that motion pictures are an art form and a business, and you have to understand both of those things,” said Corman, sitting in the back seat of a car parked behind the theater. “I think one of the problems today is that the new heads of studios understand only the business, and they don’t understand that this is also an art form.”

:hai:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

poisonpill posted:

I motion that for the rest of this weekend this thread is the official Roger Corman Story Thread

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2023-10-02/ron-howard-joe-dante-salute-roger-corman-beyond-fest

Corman himself: “I think the great heads of studios in the past understood that motion pictures are an art form and a business, and you have to understand both of those things,” said Corman, sitting in the back seat of a car parked behind the theater. “I think one of the problems today is that the new heads of studios understand only the business, and they don’t understand that this is also an art form.”

:hai:

god bless that amazingly cheap man

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I have more fun watching a Corman flick than the IP slop in theaters or streaming today.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Corman is something else, he made nothing but crap but was incredibly important in the careers of most of the greatest living directors and actors in Hollywood today, especially Coppola and Scorsese, so everyone rightly loves him.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just learned there's an alien race in star trek named the breen (sorry never watched deep space 9)

has this ever up come up on RLM? seems like perfect fodder for mike to edit some neil breen and star trek together

they all wear sealed suits with helmets that you can't see into, so it is entirely possible they all look like neil breen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TIP posted:

I just learned there's an alien race in star trek named the breen (sorry never watched deep space 9)

has this ever up come up on RLM? seems like perfect fodder for mike to edit some neil breen and star trek together

they all wear sealed suits with helmets that you can't see into, so it is entirely possible they all look like neil breen

the breen are from ds9 and are thus verbooten