Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Thinking about adding the RGB30 for some Pico 8 and schmup sction and the plus of having a horizontal handheld.

Can anyone provide their experiences? Ive watched some vids but it feels like some tubers tend to glorify these devices so I overlook a con or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Those SP clam shells are gonna do bonkers biz during the holidays. The right kind of nostalgia gaming.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Green Gloves posted:

Thinking about adding the RGB30 for some Pico 8 and schmup sction and the plus of having a horizontal handheld.

Can anyone provide their experiences? Ive watched some vids but it feels like some tubers tend to glorify these devices so I overlook a con or two.

I have an RGB30, and am running the latest ArkOS, also this is the only third party handheld that I own. I mainly use it for GB/C, Pico 8, and GBA. The screen is amazing for GB/C and Pico 8, and pretty nice for everything else. I found the stock D-pad a pain for playing Picross and Zelda, as I found it hard to keep a straight direction and often hit unexpected diagonals. I opened it up to add some tape and it's been great ever since. Expect that I find the edges sharp enough that after about 30 minutes of play I start to notice. Other buttons are fine, though the shoulders are load and clicky.

The quirks with the battery, charging, and powering on and off are real and a pain. Once I ran my battery down completely and it wouldn't charge until I opened it up and fiddled with the battery a bit. But I put up with them as this is all I have and the screen is rad for Pico 8. ArkOS give an option for quick power off that will make a save state for retroarch cores, but nothing else. That can cause an issue for Pico 8 loading into to Fake 8 sometimes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Green Gloves posted:

I dig mine a lot. Haven't experienced any QC issues, but it does behave curiously sometimes. The screen is so good. I play mostly shmups and PSX games on it. Here's Cho Ren Sha 68k running at 1:1

Suggest holding off until Anbernic has released their 1:1 device. If the price is right, and screen's as good as the RGB30, then go for it. The RGB30 suffers from its particular chipset, which has some inherent flaws that limit performance and reliability.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 12, 2024

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

Expect that I find the edges sharp enough that after about 30 minutes of play I start to notice. Other buttons are fine, though the shoulders are load and clicky.

It’s a far more involved process, but getting hold of a spare 353M dpad and membrane from Anbernic and swapping those in makes it far more comfortable and fixes the false diagonals in one go.

Thirding the praise for this screen, it’s really fantastic and flexible for so many systems beyond the obvious square-like ones. Other than the quirky charging I’ve had no major problems with mine across 2 devices. I’ve basically learned not to sleep it while in a game as it’ll run the battery down, but sleeping in the ES menus doesn’t. My 2nd (sold the first for a different colour) has a single dead pixel but it’s right in the top corner so I can ignore it for anything that doesn’t completely fill the screen.

As above, Anbernic have been teasing their version with a faster chipset, more rounded design and stacked shoulder buttons, which’ll probably be out soon. PowKiddy have also just released the RGB20SX which is the same screen/chipset as the RGB30 in a portrait style.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Silly Burrito posted:

gimme dat price

I bet they are waiting for the Miyoo SP price and sell it $5 cheaper.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Froist posted:

It’s a far more involved process, but getting hold of a spare 353M dpad and membrane from Anbernic and swapping those in makes it far more comfortable and fixes the false diagonals in one go.

Thirding the praise for this screen, it’s really fantastic and flexible for so many systems beyond the obvious square-like ones. Other than the quirky charging I’ve had no major problems with mine across 2 devices. I’ve basically learned not to sleep it while in a game as it’ll run the battery down, but sleeping in the ES menus doesn’t. My 2nd (sold the first for a different colour) has a single dead pixel but it’s right in the top corner so I can ignore it for anything that doesnt completely fill the screen.

As above, Anbernic have been teasing their version with a faster chipset, more rounded design and stacked shoulder buttons, which’ll probably be out soon. PowKiddy have also just released the RGB20SX which is the same screen/chipset as the RGB30 in a portrait style.

Thanks all for the feedback on the RGB30. Besides the screen and form factor it sounds like the RGB30 has a bit of annoyances. Ill just wait for the anbernic 1:1 to come out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just want to encourage everyone to play PICO8 games because I guarantee you will find at least one game that you will spend hours playing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is another square screen device getting release, runs on G99 with the same 720p screen. But it's made by a small boutique shop, run on the kickstarter model, so people outside of China won't be able to get it easily. It's called unicorn or something.

So just wait for the Anbernic cube review first before you decide which one to buy.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just want to encourage everyone to play PICO8 games because I guarantee you will find at least one game that you will spend hours playing.

Do you know if it works on the retroid stuff yet? Last I read it wasn't playing nice.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Azubah posted:

Do you know if it works on the retroid stuff yet? Last I read it wasn't playing nice.

There’s no Android-native version of Pico8, no. You can either use the Fake08 core for RetroArch (which is reasonably accurate but not 100% - I can particularly hear the difference in Celeste’s music), or you can use the Windows version of the real Pico8 in Winlator.

I’ve not used Winlator for anything else, but I was really surprised how smoothly/quickly you can launch into Splore through that without it looking like you’re jumping through layers of emulation/VMs. AFAIK you can’t integrate that with an Android front end to launch straight into a specific game though.

(My experience is from an Odin 2 but I imagine Retroid would be similar)

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Green Gloves posted:

Thanks all for the feedback on the RGB30. Besides the screen and form factor it sounds like the RGB30 has a bit of annoyances. Ill just wait for the anbernic 1:1 to come out.

AFAICT, the other 1:1 devices will all be running android, and as was just pointed out, won't be able to run Pico 8 natively.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are like the top 3 "killer app" pico8 games if I wanted to peek at this stuff

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

MediumWellDone posted:

AFAICT, the other 1:1 devices will all be running android, and as was just pointed out, won't be able to run Pico 8 natively.

If that is the case it sounds like really useless devices coming out. But I guess thats how these Chinese handheld companies work seeing how they pump these out faster than a stay at home mom.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Hadlock posted:

What are like the top 3 "killer app" pico8 games if I wanted to peek at this stuff
I dig Crossgunr and Kalikan. Celeste is prob the biggest game on Pico

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Green Gloves posted:

If that is the case it sounds like really useless devices coming out. But I guess thats how these Chinese handheld companies work seeing how they pump these out faster than a stay at home mom.

How would a stay at home mom design and manufacture a third party retro handheld and where could I buy a Motherboy?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

I hadn’t even thought of that, but yeah that’s a massive own goal if they don’t dual-boot Linux. Even splitting things over a dual boot I’ve found a pain before and just stuck to one side.

Hadlock posted:

Putting aside Celeste which is basically the default suggestion for Pico8, for me:

• Motion Rec (can be hard to find as it’s actually titled with a bullet point in the middle). Very short puzzle platformer with a cool “record and replay” mechanic.
  • Dank Tomb
  • Combo Pool

There are also tons of great demakes, taking the mechanics from full games and distilling them down to this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The real joy of Pico8 is that the games are tiny in size so you can just load up about 10-20 of them and just spend an hour going through them.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Hadlock posted:

MediumWellDone posted:

I have been enjoying these puzzle games.

I would like to know about more single screen puzzle games for the pico-8, please share if you know any.

Also Cab Ride is Densha De Pico8

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

For the Anbernic Arc-D, is there a way to make the HDMI output not look like rear end on Android? If I leave the screen in portrait mode I get a picture that's sideways on my monitor (because apparently like the Steam Deck the screen is apparently a phone/tablet screen rotated 90°), and if I force landscape mode, Daijisho looks fine but Retroarch is squished into this little box that takes up like 1/4 of the screen.

I assume the Linux side could probably handle it because it can handle the Steam Deck's screen bring a rotated tablet screen, but I've heard that the Linux frontend provided on the SD card that comes with the device is less than ideal. Is there a better Linux option for the Arc-D?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Is there a better Linux option for the Arc-D?
Retro Arena

It's still in beta but the most recent release seems fine. No other options at the moment though

Also are you running GammaOS on the Android side?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MediumWellDone posted:

Also Cab Ride is Densha De Pico8

That is loving adorable and how have I been playing it for half an hour already

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh man oh man

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1790057416584757269?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

I’ll take it.

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1790059226221412573?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whoever sells that Nintendo sticker on Etzy is going to do mad business.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is that a 4:3 or 3:2 screen?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man that form factor being effectively a 1:1 match for the GBA SP makes for a compelling shut-up-and-take-my-money argument.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that's pretty sick

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Just put an order page up already Anbernic!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If the sleep function is half decent then I’m getting the silver one hands down.

shyduck posted:

Is that a 4:3 or 3:2 screen?

I think it’s 4:3 and some of the videos where it looks 3:2 is them using a GBA border.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sure this has come up countless times before but I was really surprised how identical this was compared to the OG SP and if it would trigger a lawsuit

I guess this sort of thing is defined by a "design patent" and the SP design patent would have expired in 2017 or 18 in most countries particularly the US and Japan. I'm not a patent lawyer though

Of note, Japan trademarked the image of an DMG-01 but that was to license things like keychains apparently

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i don't think the chinese vendors shipping these things preloaded with a bajillion ROMs particularly care, even if it were actionable it would only matter for overseas resellers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As a great t-shirt once said, China Don't Care.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had a Miyoo Mini + delivered this weekend and after setting it up with Onion OS and getting it running this is pretty fun. Holy poo poo it’s much nicer to just play old runs on this tiny lightweight thing over the Steam Deck. That being said, one thing I didn’t realize until it arrived… no RTC? Really? At least now I got the sleep settings to not shut down and the clock syncing from WiFi it’s not so terrible but that’s still kinda annoying.

The one thing I’ll give the deck is that when using fast forward (on older titles) the Deck REALLY zooms through emulation. The Miyoo goes 2x at best on gba titles. Maybe 3 on SNES? Kinda hard to tell. Fast enough to make it useful but not super duper fast.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Anbernic boss started his career 15, 20 years ago with a hardware portable NES handheld. And then he made a couple more GBA hardware handhelds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
something new coming from AYN

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's a lot of nits.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rinkles posted:

Tentatively excited, the Loki is definitely one of the nicest 6800u handhelds out there and the Odin's the best Android one. And I'm a sucker for the Vita design...

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mega64 posted:

That's a lot of nits.

I entirely read this as from Kung Pow, "That's a lot of nuts!"
Do I presume correctly that was the intent?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not really, but if you want to pretend it was my intention I won't say anything,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Gotta be oled and hdr then