Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The telegraph is there but there's no information conveyed within it - it tells you it is coming with no information on how to avoid it
As I stated above, there's two problems with it: 1. it isn't like any other telegraphs in the game as far as the color indication because everything on Chronos playfield is the same shade of gold grey black - this is fixable by improving the contrast of the playfield and making it more clear what the safe zone is compared to the danger zone
2. Sometimes you just die for no reason even in the safe zone, because it's either bugged or something else. Combined with the above, it makes it even more confusing especially if your first attempt you get killed in one spot, and in the next you get killed in the other

I don't know why you guys feel like this game should be immune to criticism. It has plenty of room for improvements despite already being very good

I literally posted criticisms of the game before. (I will never like the tool mechanic for example)

I just don't agree that basic video game mechanics are a flaw. A lot of them are common in games in general and 'learn from a mechanic that kills you' isn't uncommon even in non-roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alright, first clear at night 14. Unlocked going to the surface the run afterwards and the two cutscenes bled into each other, lol.

His second phase is significantly easier than the first, which was a bit strange, and my finger is tired of clicking the right mouse button for the normal staff special. Healing Hex was definitely the MVP of this run, would have died without it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Re: Final boss

Now that I’ve fought him multiple times, the dread is gone. I mean, thing about the first time you encountered Hades and his multi beam attack. Probably killed a ton of us and we all went “no fair!” But you live and learn and realize it really isn’t that bad once you figure it out. It’s still punishing if you screw it up but that’s on you.

The instakill attack has a 3-4 second wind up. Now that I know what to look for, I haven’t been hit by it since. It’s just a learning curve thing and I don’t think it’s unfair at all.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jossar posted:

EDIT: Also, Poseidon goes "Yes, haha!" or "Hahaha, yes!" when you duplicate a minor boon via his own boon and all I can think of is sickos.jpg.

I knew it reminded me of something!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There are conflicting myths for where scylla comes from. Supergiant's best guess is Minnesota, which I can respect.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FooF posted:

Re: Final boss

Now that I’ve fought him multiple times, the dread is gone. I mean, thing about the first time you encountered Hades and his multi beam attack. Probably killed a ton of us and we all went “no fair!” But you live and learn and realize it really isn’t that bad once you figure it out. It’s still punishing if you screw it up but that’s on you.

The instakill attack has a 3-4 second wind up. Now that I know what to look for, I haven’t been hit by it since. It’s just a learning curve thing and I don’t think it’s unfair at all.

I mean, also, I didn't even know there was an instant kill attack, so whatever it was seems pretty easy to avoid assuming no bugs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ImpAtom posted:

I literally posted criticisms of the game before. (I will never like the tool mechanic for example)

I just don't agree that basic video game mechanics are a flaw. A lot of them are common in games in general and 'learn from a mechanic that kills you' isn't uncommon even in non-roguelikes

The visual clarity in the final boss fight could stand to be improved and I don't think this is a "basic video game mechanic." Also the instakill attack is absolutely bugged in some instances. :shrug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I presume not having a fancy British accent is part of the same curse that turned Scylla into an octopus woman.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it just me or do cast builds feel extremely powerful right now. One of Apollo, Hestia or Demeter cast, then one of the "your cast is ranged" boons, and you're off to the races. Other boons to support.

(By contrast Poseidon's cast feels wrong. Immediate detonation is nice but the extra damage is piddly compared to the BS that the orbital bombardment casts can pull)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

Is it just me or do cast builds feel extremely powerful right now. One of Apollo, Hestia or Demeter cast, then one of the "your cast is ranged" boons, and you're off to the races. Other boons to support.

(By contrast Poseidon's cast feels wrong. Immediate detonation is nice but the extra damage is piddly compared to the BS that the orbital bombardment casts can pull)

They are incredibly strong, yeah

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Okay, FINE, I guess I'll stop using cast builds.

Remember how I said before that the direct damage hexes suck unless you have a way to boost them? Well, the Path of Stars didn't oblige but Artemis did! Being able to multiply that by several times really made a difference in this one.

Also, I love Arachne. She's just so sweet and messed up all at once. Good thing that Athena's not in this game or she'd throw an even bigger fit regarding the gods if she saw her boons.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jossar posted:

Okay, FINE, I guess I'll stop using cast builds.

Remember how I said before that the direct damage hexes suck unless you have a way to boost them? Well, the Path of Stars didn't oblige but Artemis did! Being able to multiply that by several times really made a difference in this one.

Also, I love Arachne. She's just so sweet and messed up all at once. Good thing that Athena's not in this game or she'd throw an even bigger fit regarding the gods if she saw her boons.

Athena's not in this game YET.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

FooF posted:

Got my first victory on run 26. Should have had him on run 22 but still wasn't used to the insta-kill mechanic. Used the Skulls and maxed everything Special related and I was doing like 650 damage per wave hit (and hit twice due to Hammer perk). Melted everything.

Just got my first win as well with a similar setup on run 28. It was both my first time using the skulls and first time getting to chronos phase 2.

I had scorch on attack, the hammer upgrade that causes the skulls to trigger their omega attack on pickup for free, something that made that omega attack massively stronger in exchange for higher mana cost (but it triggered for free anyway), Aphrodite on the special wave for +100% damage or so to things at close range, a ton of damage synergy buffs, and everything was rare+ due to an early rarity chance bonus from chaos. Every room was just throw three skulls at something -> omega special into them to pickup and delete most of the room over and over.

I also had an epic Aphrodite boon refilling health to full after each room as long as I finished with at least 50% (!) health, but barely needed it. Finished with 6 moon waters and 3 death defiance left over. This run was so much stronger than anything else I've put together so far and it wasn't remotely close.

I figured out where to stand in phase 2 to avoid the damage zones, but otherwise I didn't really have any idea what was going on at all. It did feel extremely unreadable overall.

seiken fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 12, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

lol. lmao.

Haphaestus explosions on a 2s cooldown with the skulls
Things were melting pretty dang fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sockser posted:

lol. lmao.

Haphaestus explosions on a 2s cooldown with the skulls
Things were melting pretty dang fast.
i think this is the first victory post i've seen where Chronos isn't the top damage dealer lol

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
So here's an extremely funny interaction I had last night. Was using Circe's keepsake, and the arcana it gave me after Hecate was the one that gives you 4 arcana after a boss, completely free of it's normal limit of needing you to only use three other cards to start. Having almost all of them activated was pretty fun, though an insta-death during the final boss got me. Feels unintended, but since you probably need some decent luck for it to happen to the first place I hope they keep it in.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Poseidon doubled a Selene upgrade

:yeshaha:

e; AND a triple pom

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Zeta Zetton posted:

So here's an extremely funny interaction I had last night. Was using Circe's keepsake, and the arcana it gave me after Hecate was the one that gives you 4 arcana after a boss, completely free of it's normal limit of needing you to only use three other cards to start. Having almost all of them activated was pretty fun, though an insta-death during the final boss got me. Feels unintended, but since you probably need some decent luck for it to happen to the first place I hope they keep it in.

Judgment is wacky, in that it apparently it only works on final bosses of a floor, thus making it a lot of effort to be put in for what is effectively an RNG splatter of all but your 3 most important Arcanas going into Mourning Fields and only becoming outright better in Tartarus. And without any upgrades, it's not even guaranteed to have the same number of Arcana as someone with a 25+ Grasp setup. Is all of that worth having all the extra bonuses, some of which are mutually impossible? Well, if people keep saying that everything before Chronos is easy, then maybe! I intend to try it out, but only after I hit Judgment 3, which is going to need one more win against the big guy downstairs and a whole bunch of Moon Dust. Your particular set of interactions sounds a lot more hilarious... on the condition that you can get Judgment to reveal itself and early!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 12, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Poseidon doubled a Selene upgrade

:yeshaha:

e; AND a triple pom

Poseidon's double pickups can be absolutely WILD if they proc at the right time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How do you unlock the incantation for weapon aspects?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Jossar posted:

Judgment chat

Bear in mind that it upgrades to 5 per boss, it stacks with Circe’s keepsake which adds a 6th, and that it doesn’t restrict 0-cost cards so you can start each run with 5. So that’s 23 out of 25 cards activated by the final boss.

That seems Real Dang Good imo

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i can never really get casts to work when I consider using them, the wind up while running around (and, in the case of keyboard, also trying to hold q) usually gets me bonked when I could just be doing whatever weapon gimmick

that said, I got to the guy. I even got to the guy using an axe, and I have to ask why he has so many loving rats holy poo poo that was a lot of rats.

axe sucks. I got the special they lets you still do things freely while doing your whirlwind, which actually helped a lot, but everything about it just takes to long. the lead up to the final hit of the combo where you're hard animation locked for just shy of two seconds. the (full power) charge up for spin to win. the charge up for block, where you basically can't move at all during it and if you dodge after the attack does in likely the wrong direction. it is... very bad.

I did get some staying power out of dash strike -> hit -> charge up whirlwind -> dodge as need be into whirlwind. The armored enemies of zone 3/4 both still made that exceptionally dangerous, though, and that was with +250% attacks.

edit: weapon bitching aside, actually, what does the paper signify in zone three/four? I get it's vaguely a miniboss thing but there's a skull for that, I didn't see anything special beyond the usual reward

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Finally managed to get through to the victory screen for the first time. Using sister blades with the aspect that makes your special fly into any enemy that’s in your cast. Got a Poseidon boon for my special, then a hammer that makes my special bounce between enemies. I got quite lucky with other boons as well but that alone would have carried me, I think.

Plus a vengeance boon that reflects 1000% damage back at the enemy. Chronos basically took care of himself.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Gamerofthegame posted:

edit: weapon bitching aside, actually, what does the paper signify in zone three/four? I get it's vaguely a miniboss thing but there's a skull for that, I didn't see anything special beyond the usual reward

I think that means you need that particular thing for a prophecy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I finally just made it to Chronos tonight but could only get him down to 25% health on his first phase.

What didn't help was getting the hammer upgrade for knives to make them return+do backstab damage, THEN getting the upgrade to make them bounce across enemies. I had assumed they'd do both, like bounce to enemies then bounce BACK. Instead, the second upgrade kind of overrides the first, and they no longer return, only doing backstab damage if they hit from behind but rarely actually returning on hit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mailer posted:

I think that means you need that particular thing for a prophecy.

Yeah can confirm it's this. There's a prophecy that you'll kill each miniboss and the paper icon means you still need that miniboss for the prophecy.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Counterpoint: the axe owns

The whirlwind is pretty situational and I prefer builds which don’t use it. Baseline the huge windup leaves you very vulnerable and is barely a DPS gain. A very safe technique is to put down a cast circle, move back a little as enemies move into it and become ensnared, then start an attack combo while out of range. Then as you begin the 2nd or 3rd swing, dash forward just before the attack lands. The damage progression of the combo is 100% -> 200% -> 400%, so you end up doing a boatload of damage the instant the enemy enters your reach. If your cast was an Omega, you’ll then follow it up with another bonus burst of damage. It’s good and owns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

This is exactly the same pattern as the original Hades thread.

Poster A: X weapon sucks!
Poster B: No X owns, it's actually weapon Y that sucks!
Poster C: In fact Y kicks rear end but Z is completely garbage!

etc

Which is a good sign that the weapons are pretty well-balanced and different players will have different preferences based on their playstyles. So far the axe is probably my least favourite too, but I also hated the Arthur aspect in Hades 1. Both have a lot of fans though and I wouldn't say either of them suck. I'm just bad with them

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 12, 2024

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
staff reminds me of d3 monk on release with the astral arms

and the giant axe FUCKS

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still have yet to figure out the torch and I have not unlocked the last weapon but the other three are cool.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I still have yet to figure out the torch

forget the attack, spam the special, focus on positioning

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

What made axe click for me was realizing you can dash during the windup of the combo ender without canceling it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They need to buff the cat. Frinos gives more ehp and handles the minigame I'm worse at but which gives the reward I actually need, and their damage is equally negligible.

The torch is the worst weapon because the projectiles obscure the screen. On the other hand,

ziasquinn posted:

the giant axe FUCKS

:hai:

I'm not changing out my fully upgraded default aspect though. I can't go back to the old swing speed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

This is it. Ever play a Hammerdin in Diablo? It's that.

Regarding Chronus mechanics: Am I reading it right that you're intended to dodge through him to avoid his scythe attacks? I can't see a way to do it by moving away, so I'm wondering if this is a Charon-style situation where the best place to be is in his face until he goes for a swing, then be behind him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Disagree. Get the attack splitter hammer buff and cover it in curses, and get some mana regen going. Just fill the screen with rebuff projectiles forever

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hellioning posted:

I still have yet to figure out the torch and I have not unlocked the last weapon but the other three are cool.

special is your primary attack, the only one might as well not exist unless something is really close to you and needs chip damage or something. all the hammer upgrades that gently caress around with your projectile also gently caress with your cast version, which means you can very quickly be hitting an enemy three times with an orb. given you'll typically be relatively close, aprohidite will probably always proc and you'll just spam the field with a wall of pretty beefy orbs. the downside is you're also spamming the field with a wall of orbs, so it's kind of hard to see, but personally that just means I get blindsided by the hourglass dudes with the same shot gimmick because the screen is too busy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Warmachine posted:

This is it. Ever play a Hammerdin in Diablo? It's that.

Regarding Chronus mechanics: Am I reading it right that you're intended to dodge through him to avoid his scythe attacks? I can't see a way to do it by moving away, so I'm wondering if this is a Charon-style situation where the best place to be is in his face until he goes for a swing, then be behind him.
Sometimes doing that punishes you really hard. If you dodge through his thrust you get hit by the circle things. I haven't found a good way to handle his triple thrust besides running away.

I'm still learning the fight but it feels like he's designed so that being on top of him all the time won't work consistently the way it did for H1 bosses.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
whoo, beat Chronus for the first time.

honestly the run saver was Apollo dash, had it up to like 65%, let me just zoom away from anything I didn't like the looks of and easily make it to every safe zone. the rest was a combo of stacking demeter attack on the sister blades + backstab damage, and apollo cast

speaking of, I think the key for that is you have to stand in it (maybe dead center?) long enough for a white flash to trigger to be safe. and then not move until the attack actually goes off

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ragnar34 posted:

They need to buff the cat. Frinos gives more ehp and handles the minigame I'm worse at but which gives the reward I actually need, and their damage is equally negligible.

Counterpoint: The cat comes with an extra death defiance, which is pretty big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think a lot of people are responding to "the torches suck" with "here's how to be good at them" but the between the lines is that even being good with them isn't fun

Closest I've gotten to beating Chronos so far was a torches run, they aren't bad in a balance sense. They're just sorta not fun to play in a game/series where I'm very used to thwacking things