Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

piratepilates posted:

I haven't been paying as much attention until recently, are the refs noticeably worse than normal this year? I know they're usually not good, but I feel like I hear it every game this playoffs, and it doesn't seem like fan exaggerations. Every game I've seen has at least one ref moment where you just think "wtf is that call, seriously".

Baseball has been awful too for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Luka out there kicking people what's that about
e: obviously a bad call to make that a jumpball, pretty embarrassing stuff

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

piratepilates posted:

I haven't been paying as much attention until recently, are the refs noticeably worse than normal this year? I know they're usually not good, but I feel like I hear it every game this playoffs, and it doesn't seem like fan exaggerations. Every game I've seen has at least one ref moment where you just think "wtf is that call, seriously".

I think there's been more in-season variance. There was a clear policy shift from the top down about allowing more contact on the perimeter/drives, which the NBA initially responded to with "no idea what you're talking about" then "oh yeah we did adjust how we want games called." Plus them experimenting with flopping calls before abandoning them completely like a dude going to the gym for the first two weeks of the new year.

But as far as being this season being worse, honestly it's probably bias from being in the moment. IIRC last season we were all complaining how they were actually calling offensive fouls and carries on moves that were supposed to be offensive fouls then abandoning that after two weeks as well?? This is the period when Jordan Poole went from "good but frustrating sixth man" to "should not be in the NBA."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Baseball has been awful too for some reason.

Nothing can beat how bad baseball umps are, and how well protected they seem to be.

Fastball right over the plate, middle of the strike zone? Seen that called ball.

A batter being struck out from 3 straight pitches outside the zone? Seen that this year.

One of the weird sports where there's an objective undeniable system that can tell exactly where pitches went and what the strike zone should be, and then you pair it with a collection of old dumb stubborn assholes that do whatever the gently caress they want instead.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

I think there's been more in-season variance. There was a clear policy shift from the top down about allowing more contact on the perimeter/drives, which the NBA initially responded to with "no idea what you're talking about" then "oh yeah we did adjust how we want games called." Plus them experimenting with flopping calls before abandoning them completely like a dude going to the gym for the first two weeks of the new year.

the mid-season shift led to 4~ fewer fouls per game and it was a very sudden and jerky change and now here in the playoffs we are back up 4~ more fouls per game, which is not entirely abnormal for the playoffs but it definitely feels like I got whiplash twice this year because of it

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 12, 2024

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

piratepilates posted:

Nothing can beat how bad baseball umps are, and how well protected they seem to be.

Fastball right over the plate, middle of the strike zone? Seen that called ball.

A batter being struck out from 3 straight pitches outside the zone? Seen that this year.

One of the weird sports where there's an objective undeniable system that can tell exactly where pitches went and what the strike zone should be, and then you pair it with a collection of old dumb stubborn assholes that do whatever the gently caress they want instead.

It's at the point where they should remove the strike zone box on TV because it's just confirming what we all already knew.

But this isn't the baseball thread, I digress.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean OKC is playing with house money anyway so it's not even that good of a day to be a Thunder hater.
That'll come when Wemby finally bounces Chet out of the playoffs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
lol at okc being down to a cig smoker with one knee.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean OKC is playing with house money anyway so it's not even that good of a day to be a Thunder hater.
That'll come when Wemby finally bounces Chet out of the playoffs.

Okc is the #1 seed, not house money imo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah but they're a super young promising team that I'd say is already operating ahead of their timeline. I'd feel like it were house money if I were a fan or running the team.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah but they're a super young promising team that I'd say is already operating ahead of their timeline. I'd feel like it were house money if I were a fan or running the team.

#1 seeds can’t claim house money sorry, thems the rules.

Hope the Celtic lose by 30.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah they’re really young and still sitting on a hoard of draft picks. They also haven’t lost this series yet. In fact, they’re a slight favorite to win it imo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
go cavs

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Reffing aside, it's not exactly surprising that a young, talented team are losing to an established playoff killer like PJ Washington. It happened to the young Nuggets with Dame. It's part of building a contender.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

None of this is house money okc is a dynasty in waiting this is all about figuring out whats all needed for it to get started. The more games the vetter

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kri kri posted:

Okc is the #1 seed, not house money imo

1-3 was basically a wash and have the same record as Denver, if they ended up at the 3 would this really change things?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

1-3 was basically a wash and have the same record as Denver, if they ended up at the 3 would this really change things?

Yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

GoutPatrol posted:

yes. next question

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

As a Thunder fan I am happy they are where they are, believe them to be ahead of their timeline and still would like to see them perform better than they have so far in this series.

Mark D is getting real playoff experience (and needs to shift into kill mode ASAP) and so is the team. I still like their chances if they can shoot a little better and the offensive powerhouse that is PJ Washington regresses to the mean. I don’t see them getting past Denver or Minnesota.

Next year there will be real expectations for the team and the FO to really start competing.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

fart simpson posted:

yes. next question

how are you? :shobon:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kri kri posted:

Hope the Celtic lose by 30.

Good job on that

real bang up job

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Os Furoris posted:

As a Thunder fan I am happy they are where they are, believe them to be ahead of their timeline and still would like to see them perform better than they have so far in this series.

Mark D is getting real playoff experience (and needs to shift into kill mode ASAP) and so is the team. I still like their chances if they can shoot a little better and the offensive powerhouse that is PJ Washington regresses to the mean. I don’t see them getting past Denver or Minnesota.

Next year there will be real expectations for the team and the FO to really start competing.

Even last season they seemed a very unflappable and professional beyond their years so I can see people being surprised if they don't make it to he conference finals

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Cavaliers the gently caress is wrong with y'all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yoshi Wins posted:

how are you? :shobon:

pretty good. my favorite team just won a big playoff game op. thanks for asking

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dang

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the thunder coach a pedophile lover, why does he keep playing giddy

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

What

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Tae posted:

Probably an elaborate showcase for a trade this offseason, Giddler and X picks for player Y

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cavs stop loving around and beat the Celtics pls

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Giddy dated an underage girl. There were videos that leaked with her stating she dated him and weird video messages he sent to her brother. Her family refused to cooperate with the investigation. The NBA just seemed to hope everyone would forget about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Giggs posted:

Luka out there kicking people what's that about
e: obviously a bad call to make that a jumpball, pretty embarrassing stuff

Completely unbiased and seeing this play for the first time, a jump ball isn’t a terrible call here. It should probably just be a no call, but they both have a hand on the ball for the exact same amount of time and they both lose control as they fall. :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Seams posted:

Cavs stop loving around and beat the Celtics pls

they’re doing the best they can op

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i miss jarret allen

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

RCarr posted:

Completely unbiased and seeing this play for the first time, a jump ball isn’t a terrible call here. It should probably just be a no call, but they both have a hand on the ball for the exact same amount of time and they both lose control as they fall. :shrug:

I was always under the impression that a jump ball was either

a. They've both got the ball and the ball isn't going anywhere (obviously not the case here because Thunder came away with the ball after less than a second) or
2. There's definitely a call to be made here but it could go either way (imo not really the case here)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jaylen brown had a great game last night. 28 points and 9 rebounds on 77/67/0 shooting splits

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fart simpson posted:

jaylen brown had a great game last night. 28 points and 9 rebounds on 77/67/0 shooting splits

Thanks magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I was always under the impression that a jump ball was either

a. They've both got the ball and the ball isn't going anywhere (obviously not the case here because Thunder came away with the ball after less than a second) or
2. There's definitely a call to be made here but it could go either way (imo not really the case here)

I think it’s simpler than that. It’s basically just when two players possess the ball at the same time. I think there’s a lot of leeway for them to call it, and I’m not against it being used in a situation like that where two guys are dangerously falling because they both have hands on the ball.