Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

Topaz/Asta/Himeko

It's funny that this team of all teams is canon
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/houkai-star-rail/images/6/63/Christmas_2023.png/revision/latest?cb=20231225032254

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

In what universe? She wants Memories or Cogs to keep ult uptime going.

In any universe where you have her e4 and want more damage out of her. E4 means she can skill every turn and not need Cogs, or even an er rope.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's it like having Asta Lons???

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have e6 and rarely use her. I might use her more often with an actual damaging lightcone.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Planetary Rendevous is a damaging lc and very good for that team, probably better than the event one but I haven't mathed it out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The idea of blowing skill points on Asta sounds insane to me, but sure. :shrug:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Planetary Rendevous is a damaging lc and very good for that team, probably better than the event one but I haven't mathed it out.

Fair. I rarely use her in an all Fire team, but maybe I need to try it more often. It's just rare that fire weakness is a major thing in the higher MoC floors.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun with Robin, it's nice to have a 5 star Physical even if she is a Harmony

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kyrosiris posted:

In what universe? She wants Memories or Cogs to keep ult uptime going.

Why do keep people responding to Bad Video Games like he knows how the game works after the 48th completely wrong thing

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I mean sub DPS Asta is actually viable

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Viable in that you ran out of stats to build on her so why not some stats that push her up from 3k to 5k damage.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eej posted:

Viable in that you ran out of stats to build on her so why not some stats that push her up from 3k to 5k damage.

She can hit for 20-30k+ a skill. It's not that hard to do so either. I mean that's a SHITLOAD less impressive these days than it was at the time but she can do okay damage.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's not like a HP/DEF chest and orb actually make her any more effective at her job either, and she already gets a free 30% DEF from her trace. The ERR rope is the only real contention here and that's perfectly fair. It means she loses 2 turn ult if she skills every turn with Cogs, or a 3 turn ult if she basics every turn with Cogs. The ERR rope should definitely be her default but I think going for an ATK rope can work in some teams.

In a team that can spare some SP (Kafka/BS/RM for example) Asta can afford to use her skill often just fine. Granted I like it more in a sustainless setup since she can both amplify the team damage and squeeze more value out of teamwide amplifiers (including herself), both of which help to finish the fight faster.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 12, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Eimi posted:

She can hit for 20-30k+ a skill. It's not that hard to do so either. I mean that's a SHITLOAD less impressive these days than it was at the time but she can do okay damage.

I remember the days when she was my best breaker and had her on most of my team builds along with Serval. The early game :allears:

Also, want to thank the thread for correcting me on my Acheron. Still messing with a team build I like for her, but my numbers are looking much better now

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tae posted:

Why do keep people responding to Bad Video Games like he knows how the game works after the 48th completely wrong thing

Okay.

A: The bit isn't as funny as you think it is.

B: Sub dps Asta has been a thing since 1.0, and the viability of the build hasn't dropped off.

C: I keep winning the game despite how wrong people want to call me.

D: Please stop calling me out every time someone disagrees with me. It's not fun right now.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Meowywitch posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Robin, it's nice to have a 5 star Physical even if she is a Harmony

I'm really glad I got her, and I'm excited to try her out in future MoC/PFs. I did a few tests on the current ones and (as expected) she's incredible with Ratio/Topaz/Aventurine or Herta/Himeko.

Plus she's real dang cute. I've been running around with her in the lead and I just noticed she has little constellations on the bottom of her shoes!

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Things getting a bit aggressive in here, let people have fun imo unless they are specifically asking for advice

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tae posted:

This adds nothing to the actual build discussion and is pretty rude.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Eej posted:

Yeah it's kinda silly because they went out of their way to localize her unit name into a body of water in the afterlife that every audience would sorta get if not understand immediately but then her real name is just straight up Japanese with "bousenmori" that means nothing to non-Japanese speakers but just means "guardian of the river of forgetfulness" in a very silly case of nominative determinism.

Yeah if I wasn't directed by the thread to read the Little Hanu adventurer I wouldn't have known that Hanunue died when he snuck onto an IPC capital ship and blew up the armoury with his rocket launcher, taking out Boss Stone and Mikhail never got over it.

So in Chinese it's Wang Chuan (the river of forgetfulness) which has a lot of related mythology/lore culturally. In the Mandarin track of the name reveal, her middle name is not Bosenmori. It's still Wang Chuan + guide.

What I'm saying is localization is hard and also inconsistent.

Valentin posted:

what do you call that in chinese? obviously not furigana

Hanzi

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Look, I'm not trying to call out Tae specifically. And I do appreciate the support. I know they're just joking, and normally I'm all for it. But I'm going through some poo poo and it just isn't fun right now.

I'm going to bed. Tae's cool in my book. See everyone next time.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

So in Chinese it's Wang Chuan (the river of forgetfulness) which has a lot of related mythology/lore culturally. In the Mandarin track of the name reveal, her middle name is not Bosenmori. It's still Wang Chuan + guide.

What I'm saying is localization is hard and also inconsistent.

Hanzi

That's just the Chinese pronunciation of the exact same characters

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

So in Chinese it's Wang Chuan (the river of forgetfulness)

Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody Acheron tonight

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Tarezax posted:

That's just the Chinese pronunciation of the exact same characters

Right and I'm replying to someone saying they made the name Japanese.

unless you're saying it's not the same characters as her name which I wouldn't know because I can't read Hanzi and use the English text

ExtrudeAlongCurve fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 12, 2024

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Is Boss Stone Diamond, or Diamond's predecessor?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Right and I'm replying to someone saying they made the name Japanese.

unless you're saying it's not the same characters as her name which I wouldn't know because I can't read Hanzi and use the English text

Best practices when localizing fictional Chinese/Japanese names is you retain the pronunciation most appropriate to the region the character represents. For example nobody is going to call Raiden Mei "Leidian Yayi" in English even though that's how her name is spoken in Chinese. And they doubly aren't going to call her "Lightning-Bolt Bud-Coat". This means people playing in English aren't necessarily going to get the full effect of name meanings and wordplay unless they know the source language. It just comes with the territory.

In the case of Acheron and Sparkle, because the names don't conform to normal cultural naming schemes and carry specific meaning the localizers decided to localize the names into something appropriate in English to preserve the meaning.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 12, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sparkle...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dazerbeams posted:

Is Boss Stone Diamond, or Diamond's predecessor?

I don't think it's specified anywhere in the game who exactly it is but it doesn't really matter. IPC management is all the same cause it's just one big megacorp anyway!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Best practices when localizing fictional Chinese/Japanese names is you retain the pronunciation most appropriate to the region the character represents. For example nobody is going to call Raiden Mei "Leidian Yayi" in English even though that's how her name is spoken in Chinese. And they doubly aren't going to call her "Lightning-Bolt Bud-Coat". This means people playing in English aren't necessarily going to get the full effect of name meanings and wordplay unless they know the source language. It just comes with the territory.
On that note, I still don't understand why the Japanese version of Genshin gives the name 行秋 Xingqiu the reading "Yukuaki" instead of "Koushuu" or "Gyoushuu". I guess it does sound nicer, but it's a major style violation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eej posted:

I don't think it's specified anywhere in the game who exactly it is but it doesn't really matter. IPC management is all the same cause it's just one big megacorp anyway!

I also don't think that Diamond, or his predecessor would be directly interacting with the prison regardless. Boss Stone is either the IPC in general distilled into a single character and his minions. Or a local leader, at most he might be a Stoneheart. Notably there is a type of Jasper that resembles the skin of a crocodile.

Plus Diamond isn't the leader of the IPC, just the Strategic Investment Department (and directly in charge of the Ten Stoneheart Executives of said department). He has a boss above him and his Department is about value acquisition and debt settlement, not management of assets.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 12, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: Does the story stuff scale to your party's level, or is it fixed? I was preferring to not level up characters unless I had to and have been wanting to wait on the optional fights until the story reached the level they were at; Basically I want to avoid completely stomping on the story stuff because I wanted to get that special chest.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think everything is scaled to your Equilibrium Level.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I was 100% ready to pass on Robin but apparently she's Clara's best support and now ?!?!?!

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I was 100% ready to pass on Robin but apparently she's Clara's best support and now ?!?!?!

Repeat after me: you can never have too many Harmonys.

We'll be finding teams for Bronya, Ruan Mei, Sparkle, and Robin long after Acheron has been powercrept into irrelevancy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tarezax posted:

In the case of Acheron and Sparkle, because the names don't conform to normal cultural naming schemes and carry specific meaning the localizers decided to localize the names into something appropriate in English to preserve the meaning.

I mean in this particular case, it isn't a proper name, it's a title. It totally could've been localized. Or do what they do with a lot of terms and have supertext above it that translates it. :shrug:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

After some wiki diving, if Boss Stone is any specific individual among the top level management of the IPC it would be Taravan Keane, who is in charge of resource extraction to be sent to the Amber Lord/Qliphoth and so a mining prison colony would be under his jurisdiction as a large scale building material extraction effort. Plus he'a noted to not particularly care about safety or life comfort for mortals under his control.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord_Magmar posted:

After some wiki diving, if Boss Stone is any specific individual among the top level management of the IPC it would be Taravan Keane, who is in charge of resource extraction to be sent to the Amber Lord/Qliphoth and so a mining prison colony would be under his jurisdiction as a large scale building material extraction effort. Plus he'a noted to not particularly care about safety or life comfort for mortals under his control.

Taravan Keane is an Emanator of Preservation so there's no way he would've been taken out by Hanunue. Plus he's still alive right now.'

Through wiki diving I also saw that Oswaldo Schneider, Rank P47, head of Marketing Development, was a former Nameless but only if you watch the Chinese version of the IPC trailer. He's noted to be a total rear end kisser change his persona to match those around him.

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 12, 2024

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

librarerun posted:

Repeat after me: you can never have too many Harmonys.

We'll be finding teams for Bronya, Ruan Mei, Sparkle, and Robin long after Acheron has been powercrept into irrelevancy.

That's unfair.

You forgot the Hatblazer, possibly the first legitimate 5* Trailblazer. Such is the power of Harmony.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are we forgetting Daniel Heng, Moon Drinker

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oswaldo Schneider is also indirectly the reason why the Avgins were driven to near extinction on Sigonia, installing a puppet government loyal to the IPC. He's described as the most zealous of the Preservation's followers to the point he's actually dangerous and the Xianzhou consider him a major threat. I can't imagine Aventurine has any love for the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He has actually mentioned him before but we didn't know the players as well.

quote:

Aventurine: W—Wait, hold on a minute, don't hang up. I get it, you're not in the mood for this conversation right now... Okay, how about this — something that might interest you...
Aventurine: While you were enjoying your playtime on Jarilo-VI, Diamond was busy taking care of the head honcho of the Building Material Logistics Department. That's why he didn't attend today's meeting.
Topaz: Taravan?
Aventurine: That's right, the renowned Taravan — one of the seven board members! He's throwing his support behind us instead of the Marketing Development Department for once. Ha! Oswaldo won't be laughing anymore!