Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am watching my first open matte 35mm scan (Spider-Man [2002]) and it’s totally breaking my brain. This is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
hey ok so i was talking time travel with my wife and because she's dismissive of it as a topic when i asked what she would change she said she'd make sure mark wahlberg really did get on one of the 9/11 flights to see if he would be true to his word of stopping the terrorists

but assuming he didn't and mark wahlberg just straight up died in 9/11 who do you think plays his character in The Departed and does he have the same outsized condescending vulgarian presence or is it a more normal, subdued supporting role

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ben Affleck or Matt Damon and no if it's Ben, yes if it's Matt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wahlberg was made for that role

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gaius Marius posted:

Wahlberg was made for that role

it might literally be his best role, that's what makes it such a provocative concept

Air Skwirl posted:

Ben Affleck or Matt Damon and no if it's Ben, yes if it's Matt.

i don't fully like this answer but i accept it and the lesser Departed it conveys :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I somehow forgot Damon was already in The Departed. And now I'm picturing Seth Meyers in the role and trying to figure out how he'd play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwbzGyC6t4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bright Bart posted:

making car emblems into bracelets,

When I was in middle school, the kid sitting next to me asked me a riddle: “hey Steve, what do you call a white kid with seven Mercedes ornaments?“ I don’t know, I told him, and he answered “a loving thief“ and then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a chain of seven Mercedes ornaments

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Steve Yun posted:

When I was in middle school, the kid sitting next to me asked me a riddle: “hey Steve, what do you call a white kid with seven Mercedes ornaments?“ I don’t know, I told him, and he answered “a loving thief“ and then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a chain of seven Mercedes ornaments

King poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

That's loving badass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve Yun posted:

Lol, hell yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Inherent Vice. Pretty good!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/variety/status/1789471105008177531?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

One of the most important people in the history of film, he will be sorely missed. RIP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat. Rip. He was the man. But 98 is a great run

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Forman was a master of discovering and nurturing talent, it’s hard to imagine what American cinema would be like without him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also directed the best Fantastic Four movie in existence.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Cracked article from a decade ago that learnt me on Roger Corman:

https://www.cracked.com/article_19687_6-ways-creator-sharktopus-invented-modern-cinema.html

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Air Skwirl posted:

Also directed the best Fantastic Four movie in existence.

He produced it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Absolute legend. Thanks for making some much goddamn fun schlock, Roger. And some great elevated stuff, too.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Awww, Rip Roger Corman, you magnificent cheap bastard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/theatomreview/status/1789106028065255435

have a what

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
A puss-pounding good time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How high of a bar is "Best Garfield Movie Ever?"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
What is "satire fun"?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

How high of a bar is "Best Garfield Movie Ever?"

Do those 80s specials count? Some of those were pretty cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Do those 80s specials count? Some of those were pretty cool.

Theatrical films, the 9 lives tv special was loving amazing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rip to the master

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

RIP. May his funeral be a fast and thrifty production. It's what he would have wanted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Buried in the finest chipboard coffin painted to look like mahogany as long you just keep it in the background, and can be reused for at least 6 more funerals he's planning.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Which goon was it that worked on Gusti Sterki? I showed that to some folks between Kamen Rider movies and it was a big hit.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Buried in the finest chipboard coffin painted to look like mahogany as long you just keep it in the background, and can be reused for at least 6 more funerals he's planning.

Strapping the coffin to the roof of a car and rushing to the nearest funeral home right after the last service of the day ends so that they can get set up before the staff have had the chance to clear out the floral arrangements.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schwarzwald posted:

Which goon was it that worked on Gusti Sterki? I showed that to some folks between Kamen Rider movies and it was a big hit.

FreudianSlippers! Talented mf!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

In sixth grade I did a book report on Corman’s autobiography — chose to skip over the part where described dropping acid while making The Trip.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Strapping the coffin to the roof of a car and rushing to the nearest funeral home right after the last service of the day ends so that they can get set up before the staff have had the chance to clear out the floral arrangements.

He re-dressed Harvey Korman's grave as his own.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Alice in Wonderland will always stick with me because the final scene is just that "Did Margaret Thatcher have girl power?" skit except played 100% straight.

"Yes little Alice, you can go join the East India Trading Company!"
I also liked that once exiting Wonderland she walks back to the wedding where everyone lines up so she can give then a quippy line (all shot in the most monotonous way). Like all of the societal cultural and misogynistic pressure suddenly melts away. "Sister. I know you want me to get married but I don't think that's right for me." "Ok." "Mother, I'm going to start deciding what to do with my life myself now." "Alright."
It's like the ending of Taxi Driver or something. What suddenly changed?? Is she dead? For everyone else she was just gone for like 15 minutes and said she like, fell or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjB7ZEaAto

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

saw AGGRO DR1FT tonight. it freakin ruled
Incredibly hyped to watch it this Friday. I think Harmony Korine thinks he invented videogames
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6zTLrOouAf/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I watched Inherent Vice. Pretty good!
It's the most realistic stoner film in that he's shown constantly rolling joints. Truly felt seen.

Conversely, as much as people love it, Smiley Face is the least realistic stoner movie. I don't think anyone making it had ever actually smoked weed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

FreudianSlippers! Talented mf!

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

it was me. I made Gústi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I also liked that once exiting Wonderland she walks back to the wedding where everyone lines up so she can give then a quippy line (all shot in the most monotonous way). Like all of the societal cultural and misogynistic pressure suddenly melts away. "Sister. I know you want me to get married but I don't think that's right for me." "Ok." "Mother, I'm going to start deciding what to do with my life myself now." "Alright."
It's like the ending of Taxi Driver or something. What suddenly changed?? Is she dead? For everyone else she was just gone for like 15 minutes and said she like, fell or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjB7ZEaAto

It's a vague gesture towards a character arc without having to do the arc. Like how the Super Mario Bros movie 2023 feels like Mario has an arc but ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

it was me. I made Gústi.

The whole thing was a hit but the lines regarding the swim team, the ocean's strongest material, and the final apology to the Icelandic Wrestling Association got the biggest laughs.