Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We have a team outing next week and myself and one of the people I work with are wondering if we can skip the 2 hour hike beforehand and just go directly to the pub :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

HiroProtagonist posted:

large business proposal management is where it is *at* as far as I am concerned. small businesses were great to pad my salary asks as I bounced to a new one every year or two and that's about it.

I appreciate the advice. Honestly, I agree. I’m currently in large business proposal management and I like it, I’m good at it, I am not opposed to doing more of it, I just want to make more money and not work for a company that is almost certain to declare bankruptcy in a year or two. Unfortunately I am just not seeing a lot of opportunities out there right now that I feel I am a good fit for. Everyone is hiring for huge fed gov proposals teams (and I am confident in my ability to do those well!), but my day to day is mostly at the county level or commercial. So it’s been a rough go.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sundae posted:

Easy.

*Writes the number "1" next to every deliverable.*

I had a boss who did that to me back at J&J/McNeil. I wrote out a list of all my projects and deliverables, the hours I was spending per week on them, and showed that it drastically exceeded even reasonable overtime to complete them all + they could not be met by the assigned deadlines. I asked her to help me prioritize which ones could slip and which ones were absolute "dead if we don't" sorts of things. She wrote (1) next to all of them and handed the list back to me, told me to make it happen.

Yeah this is what you get from the freshman-level course in bad product management. Try something a little more advanced, like priority groupings (these three items are priority 1, these other three things are priority 2), and then cut all the estimates in half without telling the engineers while making promises to the stakeholders, and when the "revised" timelines start to expire, pester the engineers daily. Telling me everything's top priority just means I'm going to pick what I find interesting to work on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah this is what you get from the freshman-level course in bad product management. Try something a little more advanced, like priority groupings (these three items are priority 1, these other three things are priority 2), and then cut all the estimates in half without telling the engineers while making promises to the stakeholders, and when the "revised" timelines start to expire, pester the engineers daily. Telling me everything's top priority just means I'm going to pick what I find interesting to work on.

My current place's favorite approach is to design the project plans by back-dating from when they decided they need a certain product to be in the clinic. Like, they decided the clinic needs the materials by 01AUG so give this branch 2 weeks to do their job, 4 weeks for this... 3 weeks for that... *adds up numbers* Okay formulation team, you have three weeks to invent it.

It really shows where their priorities are, too. The flex point in the schedule is always R&D. The distribution network can't possibly get it there faster than X weeks and the clinical team protocol will definitely need 4 weeks to write and 8 weeks for the reviewers, so formulations team, just invent the drug formulation faster, okay? (And then when Formulations misses their deadline, the project takes the overage out of my former production team's manufacturing schedule. Just manufacture it faster!)

Semi-related to the PM stuff (from a resource allocation perspective): for the first year or two after I started here, I used to bitch about how lovely the formulators were at giving me a viable process to manufacture. I'd get this hot garbage with no real testing, no ranges established, no anything really. It'd be like N=1 total data points usually, maybe N=3 if they were really meticulous, and I always felt like I was sending my team in blind fo rmanufacturing campaigns. I actually ended up having a meeting with one of the formulators I was on good terms with and who understood me well enough to know I wasn't attacking him specifically with this, and explained that I wanted to know why we kept being given trash processes and why the sort of poo poo an intern knew how to do wasn't being done in the lab. He took me back to the R&D storage room and showed me the 400 milligrams of API he'd been given. That was his entire project supply, for a project that was using 25mg active per dose. He could make exactly 16 tablets if he had 100% yield, and had to figure out his entire formulation from that limited amount of material. The schedule was so squeezed that they were still figuring out scaleup for the API manufacturing process in parallel with the drug product formulation process, and the formulators didn't really get any material to work with.

Hardness-compression / tensile strength profiles? Nope. Can't do those with 16 tablets worth of material. Flowability? Only for base formula, nothing blended or granulated. Different granulation force profiles? Nope, you'll be lucky if you get two simulator runs out of that material. Not that most of it will go to process work anyway; raw material stability/compatibility tests take priority, as does making tablets for accelerated stability profiling. He maybe ended up with 8 tablets worth of material left over when that was done. Maybe. Garbage in, garbage out. But, it ends up he was just another trash collector stuck in the middle too. :eng99:

The formulators and I (mostly) got along much better once I realized we were all getting poo poo on, not just my team. :v:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

It really shows where their priorities are, too. The flex point in the schedule is always R&D. The distribution network can't possibly get it there faster than X weeks and the clinical team protocol will definitely need 4 weeks to write and 8 weeks for the reviewers, so formulations team, just invent the drug formulation faster, okay? (And then when Formulations misses their deadline, the project takes the overage out of my former production team's manufacturing schedule. Just manufacture it faster!)

Honestly bizarre that you think R&D is just some subsection of manufacturing. What do you think other people do to get drugs approved?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

knox_harrington posted:

What do you think other people do to get drugs approved?

*idly considers aduhelm*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

priznat posted:

We have a team outing next week and myself and one of the people I work with are wondering if we can skip the 2 hour hike beforehand and just go directly to the pub :haw:

I got invited to a "lunch and learn" thing but it's not clear if lunch is provided which is a major omission.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Extremely bad form if lunch ISNT provided. I always thought the notion was you were giving up your lunch break for something work related and therefore you would be fed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
At my company lunch and learns are just an invitation to eat your lunch while sitting on a teams call where someone is giving a presentation, and they happen around lunchtime. I don't think people here actually have a set lunch time/hour/break. Just eat whenever you're hungry?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've only attended one at my new place so far, and as I'm remote nothing was provided to me but food was being brought into the conference room at the office that people were joining from

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I got invited to a "lunch and learn" thing but it's not clear if lunch is provided which is a major omission.

Lunch and learn; fast and forget.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Hmm if I do it remotely then this is Authorised Posting Time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

*Writes the number "1" next to every deliverable.*

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Corporate Megathread: Writes the number "1" next to every deliverable

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I always provided sandwiches, salads, chips, and drinks for Lunch & Learns. Really any time I needed people over lunch I was charging the card. I already felt bad making people miss THEIR time so I might as well (hopefully) make it a little better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
At a couple jobs ago my manager had budget for lunch and learns to get in pizza or other things and they were pretty good. They weren’t limited to exact work related things too anything remotely technical that people were interested in people were encouraged to do presentations on.

We had some interesting ones on people’s university keystone projects, and one on the dude’s modifications he did on his miata he used for track days along with a tutorial on how to get good lap times by following a racing line etc. It is the one I remember the best tbh lol.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Atopian posted:

The Fast and the Forgetful: no lunch, zero learning

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Atopian posted:

They call these "brown bags" at my fedgov workplace and lol if we get free food on the taxpayer dime so we're encouraged to bring our lunches and get eyefucked by lovely PowerPoints in an overcrowded conference room for an hour. I only go when it's a topic of intense personal interest presented by someone with a unique perspective and I never eat during the show. Our lunches are unpaid anyway so I just eat afterwards, it makes for a slightly longer day but is a net positive. Now, if people start using the other popular definition of brown bag it could get significantly more entertaining.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sundae posted:

The schedule was so squeezed that they were still figuring out scaleup for the API manufacturing process in parallel with the drug product formulation process,

If it makes you feel better, just think about the bonus the person who came up with this amazing strategy to stay on schedule got

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

One bag for the presenter, one bag for you in case the bag over the projector falls off.

Anyway, can't say brown bag because of the 'brown bag test.'

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Honestly bizarre that you think R&D is just some subsection of manufacturing. What do you think other people do to get drugs approved?

You’re reading too much into that. It’s a separate functional group here. I mean “R&D” in departmental sense, not the broader universal concept. Yes, clinical is development in the broader sense. The point is that the flex point in project plans is *always* the up-front molecule synthesis group, and then their understandable timeline failure trickles to the formulators, then to me, and then management tells me we’ll all be fired if we don’t make timeline catch up. :D

Nobody as best I can tell threatens to outsource the clindev or protocol groups. They quote Wuxi and Lancaster Labs at us all the time. :v:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 12, 2024

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

I appreciate the advice. Honestly, I agree. I’m currently in large business proposal management and I like it, I’m good at it, I am not opposed to doing more of it, I just want to make more money and not work for a company that is almost certain to declare bankruptcy in a year or two. Unfortunately I am just not seeing a lot of opportunities out there right now that I feel I am a good fit for. Everyone is hiring for huge fed gov proposals teams (and I am confident in my ability to do those well!), but my day to day is mostly at the county level or commercial. So it’s been a rough go.

well, like I said, big 4 proposal management is the apex for me. excellent pay, QOL and benefits, and I get to dodge 95% of the bullshit that would ordinarily come with consulting firms as by nature I only ever deal with internal clients.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

You’re reading too much into that. It’s a separate functional group here. I mean “R&D” in departmental sense, not the broader universal concept. Yes, clinical is development in the broader sense. The point is that the flex point in project plans is *always* the up-front molecule synthesis group, and then their understandable timeline failure trickles to the formulators, then to me, and then management tells me we’ll all be fired if we don’t make timeline catch up. :D

Nobody as best I can tell threatens to outsource the clindev or protocol groups. They quote Wuxi and Lancaster Labs at us all the time. :v:

Nobody threatens to outsource clinical development because the business of pharma companies is clinical development. That's the hard bit.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

well, like I said, big 4 proposal management is the apex for me. excellent pay, QOL and benefits, and I get to dodge 95% of the bullshit that would ordinarily come with consulting firms as by nature I only ever deal with internal clients.

Are you responsible for lead generation and closing deals, or limited to advising consulting teams on how to build their proposals and helping them through the process?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

"Please work during lunch."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

We used to have "lunch and learns" at work and it was indeed BYOL, which was problematic not only because you're not really getting a lunch, but that it's hard to present when a bunch of people are chewing, crinkling bags of chips, etc. In a remote work environment it would probably work a lot better.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Midjack posted:

They call these "brown bags" at my fedgov workplace and lol if we get free food on the taxpayer dime so we're encouraged to bring our lunches and get eyefucked by lovely PowerPoints in an overcrowded conference room for an hour. I only go when it's a topic of intense personal interest presented by someone with a unique perspective and I never eat during the show. Our lunches are unpaid anyway so I just eat afterwards, it makes for a slightly longer day but is a net positive. Now, if people start using the other popular definition of brown bag it could get significantly more entertaining.

Innovation: black bag lunches.

You submit the attendance list to security and they awake, confused and groggy, strapped to a chair in the meeting room.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Democratic Pirate posted:

Are you responsible for lead generation and closing deals, or limited to advising consulting teams on how to build their proposals and helping them through the process?

If Hiro does anything other than document management he’s better than any proposal manager I worked with at Deloitte. (It’s quite possible he does, but in three firms I’ve found like 2 proposal managers who actually do more than doc management and basic QA.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Atopian posted:

You submit the attendance list to security and they awake, confused and groggy, strapped to a chair in the meeting room.

When I read it was a fedgov workplace and the bagged lunches, I thought of bringing some burn bags lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

burn bag lunch is for closers

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

If Hiro does anything other than document management he’s better than any proposal manager I worked with at Deloitte. (It’s quite possible he does, but in three firms I’ve found like 2 proposal managers who actually do more than doc management and basic QA.)

I gotta get into proposal management

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
At my place of employment it means I have to do every goddamn thing or the proposal never gets finished or submitted :( it’s very stressful!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Atopian posted:

Hell yeah

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Atopian posted:

Brilliant. I have a qualification protocol that has been with QA for review for over 45 days now without comments, and I'd definitely use it now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It’s easy. You tell them that non-response indicates concurrence and then you use their immediate outrage to establish a reasonable time for comment resolution.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vasudus posted:

It’s easy. You tell them that non-response indicates concurrence and then you use their immediate outrage to establish a reasonable time for comment resolution.

Good advice for regular offices or earlier signatures (automation, technical SMEs, etc), but this approach doesn't work for QA in a regulated manufacturing environment. QA is the final approver for almost everything we touch. If they're not the final signature on the document, I am out of compliance. There is (probably?) no drug regulatory agency on earth that won't rake me over the coals for qualifying equipment or manufacturing processes without QA approval of the process/report/test scripts/etc.

Nagging and escalation end up being the name of the game here, because if they don't concur (whether you told them to get feedback in six weeks ago or not), they don't sign the approval form and you can't move to the next step. It's just life in the field.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The whole thing with a GxP environment is doing the right thing, the right way, and being able to prove that you did so. A big part of that is having multiple groups, with disparate viewpoints, involved in final approval.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Will likely be accepting an offer and giving my two weeks notice tomorrow.

Gimme your quitting advice (it’s a fully remote unfortunately so no in person tearful goodbyes).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Get personal contact information of anyone you want to stay in touch with, then never think about the rest ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I set up short meetings with leadership at my last place to say goodbye, because the industry is small and people remember how you leave. If I was in a larger industry I probably wouldn’t bother. Some places will walk you out the door the second you give notice so just be ready for that if you’re in that kind of place.