Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH it sounds like you're actually pretty solid and you've managed to see through the bullshit that is the tech hiring gauntlet of rote memorisation of trivia you can always google in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fawning deference posted:

I started in April 2022. It's been 2 years and I have been promoted twice and am now a Tech Lead for our Innovation team (have you guys heard of imposter syndrome?).

Imposter syndrome is incredibly normal in IT and software development.

Early in my career I got hired to replace someone who was MUCH more talented and capable than me. I got bad imposter syndrome because I would read through his code and realize I was out of my league. Everyone always talked about how amazing the last guy was and all the stuff he could do. I felt miserable and wanted to quit right away.

I ended keeping that job for 13 years before I left on my own.

Yes, the last guy was amazing and much better than me. But he wasn't there anymore. He left for bigger and better things but that site needed to keep going. What I eventually realized is most companies can't run with nothing but the best and the brightest. What most companies actually need are teams of "good enough" people who are willing to work for what they're willing to pay at the locations where they need them.

It's like that old Henry Van Dyke quote, "Use what talents you possess. The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH it sounds like you're actually pretty solid and you've managed to see through the bullshit that is the tech hiring gauntlet of rote memorisation of trivia you can always google in reality.

Right, it's this. The problem is so many hiring processes do this. When I have to code on the spot, my brain just gets so flustered. The moment I can dig in on my own without pressure, it's much more natural.

If getting a job somewhere else for more money will require me to spend 30 hours a week pounding leetcode and doing prep for live coding, I'll be blunt and say that I refuse to do that. Which brings us back to my initial question: does that mean I'm probably not gonna get anywhere based on the current market?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

wash bucket posted:

Imposter syndrome is incredibly normal in IT and software development.

Early in my career I got hired to replace someone who was MUCH more talented and capable than me. I got bad imposter syndrome because I would read through his code and realize I was out of my league. Everyone always talked about how amazing the last guy was and all the stuff he could do. I felt miserable and wanted to quit right away.

I ended keeping that job for 13 years before I left on my own.

Yes, the last guy was amazing and much better than me. But he wasn't there anymore. He left for bigger and better things but that site needed to keep going. What I eventually realized is most companies can't run with nothing but the best and the brightest. What most companies actually need are teams of "good enough" people who are willing to work for what they're willing to pay at the locations where they need them.

It's like that old Henry Van Dyke quote, "Use what talents you possess. The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

This is helpful and makes sense. I'm proud of how far I've come in so little time, it's just hard when I'm surrounded by the other tech leads who have 10-15 years of experience and know almost the entire eco-system of the chapter and I'm still brushing up on my useEffects...

I should add, the "have you guys heard of imposter syndrome" was sarcastic, I know everyone has it. I hear about it constantly. But I do think there is a slight difference between imposter syndrome and genuinely knowing your own limits and experience level and being nervous about how qualified you would be for the same role somewhere else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also, what makes you think other people won't love you just as much as your bootcamp instructor did?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also, what makes you think other people won't love you just as much as your bootcamp instructor did?

He got to interact with me multiple times a week for six months. It will be harder to come across the same way in a short interview.

I'm actually not worried about not being likeable though. I have that part down. It's the stuff about code that makes me nervous.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Are you interviewing for other lead roles?

I interviewed last summer for similar roles and coding was such a small portion of the interview process. They were much more interested in projects, accomplishments, soft skills, etc.

Yeah some places are going to make you do leetcode bullshit and it might behoove you to brush up on programming concepts but in general if you're interviewing for senior/lead positions interviewers are going to be much more interested in your, well, leadership capabilities and ability to deliver. If you have accomplishments under your belt already then competent interviewers will understand you probably already know how to code and won't waste time asking you to invert a binary tree or whatever.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 12, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Not everyone is looking for a subject matter expert to walk in the door for an interview. Those are expensive. A lot of places will be happy with "has some experience and can be trained on the rest".

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

Are you interviewing for other lead roles?

I interviewed last summer for similar roles and coding was such a small portion of the interview process. They were much more interested in projects, accomplishments, soft skills, etc.

Yeah some places are going to make you do leetcode bullshit but in general if you're interviewing for senior/lead positions interviewers are going to be much more interested in your, well, leadership capabilities and ability to deliver. If you have accomplishments under your belt already then competent interviewers will understand you probably already know how to code and won't waste time asking you to invert a binary tree or whatever.

I have not begun to look yet, I need to soup up my resume / LinkedIn etc and actually be mentally ready to spend time on a job search. I probably won't look til the fall.

Nice to hear around the interview styles. If I wanted to make more money than I do now, though, I would probably need to interview at a very big company, and those companies are more likely to do the 6 or 7 rounds, live coding, etc, are they not?

If I can lean on my projects and leadership skills, that would be a lot better. I'd still get interview prep training though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Part of the things leading me to stay for now are really important: I'm friends with my boss, who is awesome and gives me raises, and insurance is a very stable industry, unlike true tech companies. I'm apprehensive about doing the tech company hire/layoff dance cycle.

So many things to think about...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I have not begun to look yet, I need to soup up my resume / LinkedIn etc and actually be mentally ready to spend time on a job search. I probably won't look til the fall.

You should start looking now. It's going to take longer than you think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I'm actually not worried about not being likeable though. I have that part down. It's the stuff about code that makes me nervous.

That's the part you're not grasping, in a way that's awesome for you: in the computer toucher world being personable and likeable and competent at gently caressing the keyboard makes you a fuckin' unicorn. As long as you can demonstrate a baseline level of competence you're going to be golden. Just keep doing the work and stay sharp.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nice to hear around the interview styles. If I wanted to make more money than I do now, though, I would probably need to interview at a very big company, and those companies are more likely to do the 6 or 7 rounds, live coding, etc, are they not?

If I can lean on my projects and leadership skills, that would be a lot better. I'd still get interview prep training though.

The tech giants are more likely to give you coding interviews I guess, but I interviewed at several big non-tech companies that had high paying salaries and they were much more interested in achievements and culture fit. Some of those interviews were 5 rounds are so but again, very little coding.

Yeah definitely prepare when you are ready to start interviewing and lean into your strengths. I think time is better spent polishing your resume (including creating multiple versions of your resume depending on the job you're applying for), preparing for typical STAR questions, and blasting off applications. Your ROI grinding leetcode would be minimal IMO compared to spending those extra hours applying to more jobs and making your resume better.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

wash bucket posted:

You should start looking now. It's going to take longer than you think.

Oh I anticipate a very long grueling search, no doubt about it. I just still like my job enough right now and currently have a personal reason why I don't want to invite job search hell into my life right now. I don't mind if Start searching in November and expect to maybe start at a new company in June-July. I am in no rush. Also my 401K vests after third year so I'd like to make that sort of the milestone.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

The tech giants are more likely to give you coding interviews I guess, but I interviewed at several big non-tech companies that had high paying salaries and they were much more interested in achievements and culture fit. Some of those interviews were 5 rounds are so but again, very little coding.

Yeah definitely prepare when you are ready to start interviewing and lean into your strengths. I think time is better spent polishing your resume (including creating multiple versions of your resume depending on the job you're applying for), preparing for typical STAR questions, and blasting off applications. Your ROI grinding leetcode would be minimal IMO compared to spending those extra hours applying to more jobs and making your resume better.

Totally agree with this. I am not going to be driving through algorithms day and night, gently caress that. I think I have a good grasp on job searching and not making the common mistakes that 98% of applicants make.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's the part you're not grasping, in a way that's awesome for you: in the computer toucher world being personable and likeable and competent at gently caressing the keyboard makes you a fuckin' unicorn. As long as you can demonstrate a baseline level of competence you're going to be golden. Just keep doing the work and stay sharp.

I had not thought of it this way, I hope you're right. Thanks for this, makes me feel better about my value to another company.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, just be aware that September is "hiring season" at most places. You might want to be warmed up by then if you're going to take a crack at it this year.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

wash bucket posted:

Well, just be aware that September is "hiring season" at most places. You might want to be warmed up by then if you're going to take a crack at it this year.

Appreciate that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I would say 90% of the interview questions I got for chemistry jobs were all behavioral with the remainder just wanting to know how much experience I have on particular instruments

Not having to answer super technical questions is nice, but like, do y'all want to make sure I'm not a total fraud? Still better than code or die interviews I guess

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hearty agree, especially if the person is on a technical track at a senior level - usually anyone with any kind of person skills has been converted to management by then.

When I do interviews (I’m not a manager but technical lead/supervisor of several jr/mid level engineers) the 3 things that get a lot of my focus in determining are:
1) how proactive the person is in finding out information if it isn’t served up to them
2) how personable they are and how will they do at having to go out and ask people to achieve #1
3) what is their baseline expertise/what things are they relatively familiar with

If #3 is covers even tangentially related to what we’re doing and #1 and #2 check out then it’s someone I will always tell the manager a thumbs up. If #3 is exactly what we need already #2 is still really important. I hate having people I need to babysit and poke constantly and act as a liaison to other groups for them even if they are absolutely ace coders.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Which brings us back to my initial question: does that mean I'm probably not gonna get anywhere based on the current market?

Are you looking for us to tell you to throw in the towel on your career and you’ll never amount to anything? Cause it sounds like you’re fishing for that and when I’m dealing with terrible impostor syndrome I also do this.

Writing a resume is a skill and takes practice. Interviewing is a skill, it takes practice, which is why it’s recommended you do a few practice runs at places you don’t want to get hired. So many factors lead to an offer so I can’t read the tea leaves for you. If you want to move so badly you’ll make it happen, but sounds like you’re happy where you are? The market will turn around and maybe then take a serious effort, but sounds like you know your weaknesses.

Look into some classes that can help hone your storytelling skills. Having a story makes it easier to communicate and will make you a better developer. The best developers I’ve worked with are amazing storytellers. I really liked the one I did with IDEO U.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 12, 2024

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

cheese eats mouse posted:

Are you looking for us to tell you to throw in the towel on your career and you’ll never amount to anything? Cause it sounds like you’re fishing for that and when I’m dealing with terrible impostor syndrome I also do this.

Writing a resume is a skill and takes practice. Interviewing is a skill, it takes practice, which is why it’s recommended you do a few practice runs at places you don’t want to get hired. So many factors lead to an offer so I can’t read the tea leaves for you. If you want to move so badly you’ll make it happen, but sounds like you’re happy where you are? The market will turn around and maybe then take a serious effort, but sounds like you know your weaknesses.

Look into some classes that can help hone your storytelling skills. Having a story makes it easier to communicate and will make you a better developer. The best developers I’ve worked with are amazing storytellers. I really liked the one I did with IDEO U.

This isn't what I'm asking, sorry if it came off that way. I'm moreso looking for a reality check to my perspective on the job search process. Yes, I expect to get coaching and practice interviewing skills, but if I don't pound leetcode algorithms, am I eliminating most of my opportunities?

The advice in this thread has been very helpful in telling me no I wouldn't be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have an interview on Monday, and then on Tuesday with another company. :kiddo: The one on Tuesday is what i'm most excited for, but am going into both with the same amount of seriousness and desire to land either job. This will be three interviews total since being laid off on April 24.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

I said come in! posted:

I have an interview on Monday, and then on Tuesday with another company. :kiddo: The one on Tuesday is what i'm most excited for, but am going into both with the same amount of seriousness and desire to land either job. This will be three interviews total since being laid off on April 24.

Thats more progress than most have so soon after being laid off. Just keep at it dude, I wish you the best of luck. I know its not easy.

I'm currently searching for a new role cause my current role is complete garbage, but the market is not doing well for any fields at all really. Its simply atrocious.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I hate that in doing a design challenge that is related to the companies product, but it’s also a great resume opportunity and I think the product is cool. At least they don’t want full pretty mocks. Just simple wireframes.

Not as excited about a different role in starting interviews on. I don’t even know what exactly they do. Something healthcare admin.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Reviewing resumes

Someone paraphrased the doctor who timey wimey quote to be about jobs and also listed literally every single job related thing they had going back to graduating high school in 1997

Which means this mf is either 44 or 45 and putting that paraphrased quote at the top of their resume

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, at least you know what you’re working with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Had a tech skills assessment to do and it ended up probably not working. Threw an email at them to ask if the box was working right and they emailed back at silly AM telling me they'd give me until 1PM to keep trying. Since I'm unemployed I didn't get that message until I woke up at 2PM, but it was nice of them to not remember or just completely ignore them being told that I was busy doing other things today. Great way to tell me that they fail to set or respect boundaries and have me bail at this part of the process.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I posted earlier in this thread about my FAANG experience and here's the latest update:

I went through a technical interview after meeting with the hiring manager, then followed that up with a 5 hour interview loop. Here's where things get interesting: Before the hiring loop, the HR person I was working with handed me off to another HR person. Previous HR person said that I would be meeting with the new HR person during the interview... that never happened. The new person wasn't on the schedule and I've never heard a single thing from this new person.

It's been about 2 weeks from my interview. Around the 1 week mark, I wrote an email to the new HR person roughly saying "Hello, I'm not sure if we were supposed to meet but blah blah blah, I'm interested in the role, looking forward to next steps, etc". Radio silence.

So, should I reach out to the original HR person? I would get coming across as desperate if I'd had any 2way interaction with the new HR person but I'm flapping in the breeze at this point. The interview went fine by all accounts.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Hey, looking for feedback on my resume. The companies and locations are changed to be anonymous, but similar enough. I'm located Midwest, USA and not planning on moving anytime soon.

Not actively looking for a new job, but if I were it would probably be for systems engineering / requirements management / product management / project management. I feel like it might be a waste of time to shoot for a more technical/hands-on position at this point given my resume.

All of my experience is pretty much a mix of requirements definition/management and working with people, except for my short stint as a software engineer. Because of that, it's difficult to write bullets that quantify the value I've added. Most of the things I do aren't really measurable... I can try but I'd pretty much be pulling numbers out of my rear end.

Edit: Embedded SW Engineer position should be until Jan 2021. I have no gaps in my work experience.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 17, 2024

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Weird to put citizenship unless you’re applying to defense companies

Pull numbers out of your rear end that reasonably reflect your understanding of impact, even if it’s not explicitly tracked.

Tbh not bad overall but some items (“greatly simplified / collaborated extensively”) seem like bullshit scalars without some tangible impact to finish it off

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 17, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Same caveat I always give: I'm not a hiring manager, just a guy who does this for friends and internet people as a hobby. Listen to other thread people before me. Here are a few quick comments:

The main issue (and the thing I always see so don't feel bad) is: You have a few bullet points that don't begin with an past-tense action word. Bullet 4 should be "Collaborated..." and Bullet 8 should be "Simplified" or "Revised" or something.

A few of your bullet points are actually multiple sentences. I believe that is against the typical style, but a web search to confirm was inconclusive. I'm not certain what to do with them. They seem a bit long such that a non-technical person may have trouble gleaning the information from them, so they might want to be massaged anyway. Resume writing is typically parsimonious to avoid confusing and alienating some bored HR drone while still impressing an informed hiring manager.

In the truncated grammar of resume bullet points, you should avoid using articles (A, An, The). So instead of:

"Collaborating with global product managers, data scientists, and a global application software team..."

Maybe instead:

"Collaborated with global product managers, data scientists, and application software team..."

On that same point, you say you "Collaborating with blah blah to define and manage blah blah...." Would it be better if you were instead "Defined blah blah with teams blah blah to blah blah" or something? You use Collaborated 3 times, and yes you want to use a word that shows you can work with others, but you also want words that mean you get poo poo done. I like to avoid repeating any action words, but that's just a stylistic choice.

What does "Socialized" mean in this context? I assume it's an electrical engineering term I don't know, but something someone hiring a person with your experience will know? Like "therocouple" or "transverse load" or something.

Are System Context Use Case Diagrams a Proper Noun or a Title? If not, then Don't Capitalize It. You've got several of these: Camera-Mode, Wireless-Mode, Direct-To-DSLR. Some of these might be the title of a brand or other trade dress (like Android) and be fine, so it's up to you to find them. Also, obviously initialisms like USB and LED are also fine.

There's probably more that could be done, but that's a quick look. If you fix the verb issues, you would probably be fine to keep using it until you can revise a few of those longer unwieldy ones.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Great feedback. "Socializing" in this context means to share and gather feedback from SMEs, tech leads, product owners, product managers, and project managers in a call or few calls. Once a system solution or set of requirements have been socialized then they are sent out for a formal review for a few days to gather additional feedback before finally getting approval from the stakeholders. That's basically 90% of the job. Another 5% is working with the project managers to assign release filters per requirement / making sure we're aligned on what should get worked on per sprint, and the last 5% is answering a million questions from the system verification / QA folks. I work primarily out of a requirements management database (JAMA) but track progress in JIRA to make the project managers happy.

Edit: At my company we are assigned entire projects, not parts of projects. So when I say requirements management, I mean from end-to-end. From initial whiteboarding/brainstorming of the product all the way thru product launch and post-launch iterations.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 17, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, grammar and verb tense aside, I think the biggest problem is I have no idea what you actually accomplished or what you'd bring to the table at your next company. Your describing what your job entailed but not really laying out the value you brought.

What kinds of jobs are you looking at next? If it's above Senior Engineer you will absolutely need to show that you're not just a person who can fill a seat, and this resume is not standing out as someone who will do more than just that.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Probably a lateral move to another role within systems engineering / requirements management / product management / project management. Not above senior. I'm happy at my level.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dangerous Mind posted:

Probably a lateral move to another role within systems engineering / requirements management / product management / project management. Not above senior. I'm happy at my level.

Ok, that does actually help, and casts this in a better light. I would still look for impact numbers. Have you done any mentoring or training? That's absent in your resume and something I'd expect from a senior. I feel like you can cut down your oldest 3 jobs to a single bullet point each if you need more room.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
At my first company out of college I did a bit of mentoring actually. For GPS rollover testing I taught an intern to automate and execute test plans. Then for the following job after as a software engineer I guided a couple interns for general onboarding, development & test environment setup, etc. But no mentoring at my current company since I'm actually the least senior person on my team and our team doesn't hire interns sadly. I actually miss that part of the job haha.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TheWevel posted:

I posted earlier in this thread about my FAANG experience and here's the latest update:

I went through a technical interview after meeting with the hiring manager, then followed that up with a 5 hour interview loop. Here's where things get interesting: Before the hiring loop, the HR person I was working with handed me off to another HR person. Previous HR person said that I would be meeting with the new HR person during the interview... that never happened. The new person wasn't on the schedule and I've never heard a single thing from this new person.

It's been about 2 weeks from my interview. Around the 1 week mark, I wrote an email to the new HR person roughly saying "Hello, I'm not sure if we were supposed to meet but blah blah blah, I'm interested in the role, looking forward to next steps, etc". Radio silence.

So, should I reach out to the original HR person? I would get coming across as desperate if I'd had any 2way interaction with the new HR person but I'm flapping in the breeze at this point. The interview went fine by all accounts.

Update: reached out to the original HR person, she did some checking, round 2 of interviews coming up.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Pain of Mind posted:

Kind of a two parter: When is the best time to mention a job's title is too low for you to accept the position? I have always done it during the first phone interview, because if I will not take the job if it is not moved, why waste their time and mine going forward in the process if they will not move it. I can also see the logic of if you get the whole way through and they really like you, they might have more incentive to bump it up because you are the candidate that they want to hire, compared with just some random person on the phone when they are talking to 5 more people that day. Also, is it a faux pas to inquire about a role that is not the one they are interviewing you for since it makes you look less interested? The company that I am talking to about the role that is too low has one at a more appropriate level, but I did not hear back from that application.

Trip report: 0-3 for going to the next step after gently inquiring about the title. I probably should just say it is fine until I get to the offer step but I am too honest (for when they ask my biggest weakness). I also had an interesting recruiter interaction recently. Just applied to an appropriately leveled position and they got back to me in a few hours, which is a good sign. In a less good sign, they asked if I was still on track to graduate college soon (I graduated almost 20 years ago) and had an entry level title in the email rather than the one listed on the job description. I wonder if they mixed up my resume with someone else's. I sent a very carefully worded email correcting the mistakes while mentioned I would still be interested in discussing the role as it was listed, but I wonder if the person would be too embarrassed to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It is real weird to get an email that just tells you to assume they won't call you if you don't hear back a week after applying, and further weird for that to be an improvement on things.