Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Are these places all going to be packed this time of year? I’m thinking about heading down, but want to avoid crowds. Any primitive camping with good big trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mill Creek Campground still has availability through May and most of June. By July it's fully booked. There are backcountry campsites but I haven't really researched any of them.. big trees will absolutely be a feature though.

I don't think it gets crushed with crowds like the big national parks but visitation definitely climbs after memorial day, annual visitation is under 500k. So solitude is unlikely.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Are these places all going to be packed this time of year? I’m thinking about heading down, but want to avoid crowds. Any primitive camping with good big trees?

primitive camping with redwoods sounds hard unless you wanna go off trail. i won't be doing any camping, however.

i've had a fern creek reservation for a while

I'm purposefully going BEFORE memorial day

thanks to those of you with suggestions so far, this is great

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 13, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

i lied, looks like you can camp on the banks of the river here

again dunno about crowding

https://www.redwoodhikes.com/RNP/RedwoodCreek.html

Morbus
May 18, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i'm visiting the redwoods this week. posting up on the coast of northern california and seeing what i can for a week

anyone have advice? i can and will do anything.

Prairie Creek Redwoods SP is my favorite but they all have nice things

I did a bunch of northern CA redwood stuff during memorial day 2022 and we were still able to get some campsites like ~2 weeks out, so crowds weren't that bad.

if you are going to be up there anyway, Castle Crags SP is good for a dayhike and the snow is melted by now

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i've had a fern creek reservation for a while

I just noticed the NPS has an alert on their site that the road to fern canyon is closed for maintenance. It adds a mile of walking to get in there from the nearby campground so not the end of the world.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah i saw that

i mean it's all stuff i don't have in queens so whatever, i'm there to walk around

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only crater lake would stop getting snow, I was hoping to visit there too. But they're still over 90 inches (not sure where the measurement is taken from, the rangers take a reading every day).

I guess I could pack snowshoes.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Now if only crater lake would stop getting snow, I was hoping to visit there too. But they're still over 90 inches (not sure where the measurement is taken from, the rangers take a reading every day).

I guess I could pack snowshoes.

If you're gonna be in northern CA and have enough time for the ~4 hr drive to crater lake, you might instead consider checking out lava beds national monument. If you are at all into caves it's very cool and crowds are usually low/non-existent. They are some of the only significant cave systems that you can explore in CA that are not show-caves on the one hand, but do not require technical caving experience or equipment on the other. Helmet, headlamps and I'd say knee pads are all you really need. They are lava tubes, not limestone caves, but still very unique and impressive imo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely on the list, just depends on conditions as I get in the area. A day around Mt McLoughlin is in the cards too.

And I got two nights reserved at Butte Lake on my way home too. I think there will be too much snow still to attempt Lassen proper.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Backpack/dispersed camping in redwood groves is going to be hard, but i did once do a backpacking trip in Humboldt on grasshopper ridge and it was lovely - 2 miles in mind blowing redwoods, then to to slightly higher elevation where it was still some drat big fir trees to camp in

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks for the replies everyone!

alnilam posted:

Backpack/dispersed camping in redwood groves is going to be hard, but i did once do a backpacking trip in Humboldt on grasshopper ridge and it was lovely - 2 miles in mind blowing redwoods, then to to slightly higher elevation where it was still some drat big fir trees to camp in

Are you talking about this? https://www.redwoodhikes.com/Humboldt/Grasshopper.html

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Are you talking about this? https://www.redwoodhikes.com/Humboldt/Grasshopper.html

Yup that's the one, I think we merged it with some of the other old growth redwood grove trails at the bottom end and we camped at grasshopper camp.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

alnilam posted:

Yup that's the one, I think we merged it with some of the other old growth redwood grove trails at the bottom end and we camped at grasshopper camp.

This looks amazing, and actually perfect. It led me to find this, which is exactly whah I’m looking for:

https://www.redwoodhikes.com/Humboldt/WhiskeyFlat.html

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This looks amazing, and actually perfect. It led me to find this, which is exactly whah I’m looking for:

https://www.redwoodhikes.com/Humboldt/WhiskeyFlat.html

That looks lovely! Idk why we didn't go for that one at the time... I will say we didn't see a soul after about mile 2 on grasshopper. But the link you posted sounds like this one is pretty chill too and it's among redwoods. Sounds amazing.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I end up wading in my Salomon Quests every now and again, including over the last weekend.

I guess I kicked up some creek bottom because they SSTIIIINNNKK. Like if I touch them my hands stink and I gotta wash them. I'm not too enthused to put my feet back in them until I do something about it.

So, how do you go about cleaning gore-tex hiking boots without ruining them

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Give them a good wash and put a charcoal air freshener in them to help absorb moisture and stink

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Is it relatively easy to buy bear spray in Utah and would I get it in Wallmart or am I better to go to a dedicated outdoors shop?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Walmart carries it in other areas where bear activity is a concern.

Kroger family stores do too.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Math You posted:

I end up wading in my Salomon Quests every now and again, including over the last weekend.

I guess I kicked up some creek bottom because they SSTIIIINNNKK. Like if I touch them my hands stink and I gotta wash them. I'm not too enthused to put my feet back in them until I do something about it.

So, how do you go about cleaning gore-tex hiking boots without ruining them

Put dryer sheets inside them to absorb the stink. Not sure about the outsides, probably have to scrub them and apply some waterproofing stuff.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One real trick about preventing shoes from smelling is to make a habit of removing any insoles after your run / hike and letting them dry out fully (even if they weren't appreciably wet). It really helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think that will help if the shoes have been submerged in river slime. That stuff sinks in and it's a chore to get rid of it.

As a general practice though, yes, removing insoles helps reduce the funk produced by your own body.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Real Amethyst posted:

Is it relatively easy to buy bear spray in Utah and would I get it in Wallmart or am I better to go to a dedicated outdoors shop?

check around the area you are hiking, a lot of places, and some you might not expect, will rent you bear spray. literal convince stores in Banff for instance will rent it.

On the boot care, I have scrubbed mine down with Dawn before after accidentally weedwacking a giant patch of poison ivy, and it worked just fine. Only issue is GO EASY with it. I used way too much because i was pissed and i spent forever soaking and rinsing the tongue and other parts that just absorbed the soap. Overall it cleaned them up real good and the slight amount of funk they had was long gone. Just allow plenty of time to dry of course.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 16, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renting a consumable item feels weird, but I guess 99% of the time it won't get used.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Fool posted:

Renting a consumable item feels weird, but I guess 99% of the time it won't get used.

If you have flights its a lifesaver, cause finding a place to dispose of it is a giant pain in the rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bear spray expires after like three years and in 10 years I've only ever used it to see what it was like so yes, renting it makes sense if possible.

I've got two cans in my garage that I need to get rid of but unfortunately the disposal process is absurd. They actually suggest you go out in the woods and fire it off before throwing it away, which sounds super irresponsible. I think NPS rangers in bear country run disposal collection as well but that assumes you live near one of the big parks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

Bear spray expires after like three years and in 10 years I've only ever used it to see what it was like so yes, renting it makes sense if possible.

I've got two cans in my garage that I need to get rid of but unfortunately the disposal process is absurd. They actually suggest you go out in the woods and fire it off before throwing it away, which sounds super irresponsible. I think NPS rangers in bear country run disposal collection as well but that assumes you live near one of the big parks.

Its just pepper spray, you can set it off in a field as long as you know what is downwind of you. As far as hazmats go its pretty inert and harmless unless you are in the direct line of fire. It is biodegradable and does not persist in the environment long. Most people i have talked to recommend going and firing it off as practice. Just wear PPE and make extra certain of anything or anyone downwind.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use your expired cans to practice how to spray, so if you ever actually need to use it you have a little familiarity with the motions.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Cool I'm just not from the states and will be hiking Zion, Grand Teton and Yellowstone so I'm probably going to purchase rather than rent.

I know there's not a huge risk of bears in Zion. I'm more nervous of mountain lions.
Last year in Yosemite I got spooked by their presence and also a cute bobcat that made me poo poo my pants when it crossed the trail in front of me 20 mins after I passed a big "MOUNTAIN LIONS IN THIS AREA" sign.

My caveman brain immediately went to "this is lion cub and mom is going to kill you you :doh:

I know bobcats are fairly harmless fwiw :3:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Seeing eyes reflected in your headlamp is loving terrifying, even if it does end up being a lil bobcat or a deer or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always assume I'm more likely to use bear spray on some idiot's unleashed dog than an actual wild animal.

But I always carry it with me on my off trail explorations because it's the only self defense I carry and it makes me feel a little better out there. Especially night hikes, that poo poo gets the caveman juices going.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Seeing eyes reflected in your headlamp is loving terrifying, even if it does end up being a lil bobcat or a deer or something.

I spooked a herd of 40+ elk last summer hiking at night, saw all these greenish little stars off to one side then the entire group jumped and thundered across my path about 20 yards away. I pressed up against a tree hoping it would help (it probably wouldn't).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Not recommending this, but I have a friend who uses his expired pepper spray on burgers.

He's a bit extra at times.

Not sure if formulas vary, but his is for humans (not bears) (probation agent). Since it rarely gets used, it's spicy burger condiments.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

I always assume I'm more likely to use bear spray on some idiot's unleashed dog than an actual wild animal.

But I always carry it with me on my off trail explorations because it's the only self defense I carry and it makes me feel a little better out there. Especially night hikes, that poo poo gets the caveman juices going.

Night hiking while it’s breezy and windy is some real poo poo. Just keep plodding forward and hope you get back okay

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Arkhamina posted:

Not recommending this, but I have a friend who uses his expired pepper spray on burgers.

He's a bit extra at times.

Not sure if formulas vary, but his is for humans (not bears) (probation agent). Since it rarely gets used, it's spicy burger condiments.

As I understand it, bear spray is actually less potent than pepper spray. It’s more about the distance that it can achieve, and you’re just trying to scare the bear off, while a human could be more persistent if you’re in a situation where you need pepper spray.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
There’s an REI in Salt Lake City, very likely they would have it. I’m 90% sure I bought some there years ago

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Night hiking with wind near a recent burn area full of standing dead trees is nightmare fuel. When you hear trees randomly falling, yeah they make noise and it's scary.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do my "yo bear" callouts at night even if I'm not in bear turf. It just makes me feel better.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I would always just leave bear spray or gas canisters with park rangers who were usually happy to have them given to them.

Also i'll give a quick plug to buying a boot dryer. Definitely useful even after week long trips where your shoes stink. So nice to give them a quick wash then put them on the boot dryer.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Real Amethyst posted:

Cool I'm just not from the states and will be hiking Zion, Grand Teton and Yellowstone so I'm probably going to purchase rather than rent.

I know there's not a huge risk of bears in Zion. I'm more nervous of mountain lions.
Last year in Yosemite I got spooked by their presence and also a cute bobcat that made me poo poo my pants when it crossed the trail in front of me 20 mins after I passed a big "MOUNTAIN LIONS IN THIS AREA" sign.

My caveman brain immediately went to "this is lion cub and mom is going to kill you you :doh:

I know bobcats are fairly harmless fwiw :3:

The nice thing about mountain lions is that you won’t see one until it’s too late, so there’s no point in worrying about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Freaquency posted:

The nice thing about mountain lions is that you won’t see one until it’s too late, so there’s no point in worrying about them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pumaconcolor/comments/1cmqc40/prowling_beast_at_the_san_mateo_canyon_wilderness/

From 9 days ago.

And I will be thee this weekend with 3 other people. So I figure I have a 25 percent chance of becoming lion food.