Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Oodles posted:

Broke 90. Bogey golf is really unsexy, but when you park the ego it’s quite achievable.

Also, can highly recommend ShotScope for tracking your distances. You get little inserts for the shaft of each club, and it tracks your shots. Which then builds up a log of distances, and gives you playing averages. So that’s a real game changer for approaches.

Next thing to work on is distance, so I’m not laying up on short par 3s.

Congrats. Most golfers never break 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
after figuring out my issues with the new swing, I can finally hit the ball with it. what a difference, my shots were all punchy with very low angles and now I really get the ball up in the air with like 1-2 extra seconds of airtime. the swing also feels a lot more natural and the balls are landing within a few feet of each other.

What I'm saying is that I lost a bunch of carry due to the extra angle but it feels like progress! I think if I just increase my speed and power this is a solid foundation to get more distance, where I stalled with my old swing

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Pour one out for my club today :( We were hit with multiple tornadoes this morning. Looks like a million+ in just tree damage.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#/icloudlinks/047Od1gCcFmnDzoqP43A112iw/

poo poo ton of pictures warning.

Not gonna lie, I'm looking through them myself trying to pick out trees I've cursed about during rounds.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 11, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Good lord. Sorry, that really sucks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m really trying to eliminate my YouTube swing tips diet, but Padraig has a drill where you perform your regular downswing and then try to stop the club at impact. It was a “holy poo poo!” moment for me yesterday.

I’ve been struggling mightily with a 30° push right, and had been trying to roll my lead wrist with little success. Swing thoughts like “roll your wrists” or “make the logo on your glove face the target” really haven’t helped.

Fast forward to yesterday. Stopping (or more specifically, trying to stop) the club head at impact and every shot with my 7i was punching out 50 yards dead straight toward the target, or even with a slight pull. More importantly, I could feel my hands release as the club head came around. I was immediately like “oh this is what releasing the hands is supposed to feel like?!?!?”

My distance is still garbage, but it feels so good to have unlocked even a small part of my swing. Golf is loving hard.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I did something similar to troubleshoot a broken swing that couldn't hit anything.

stopping at the impact showed me I was getting too tight on the downswing and my club was 3 inches from the ground on impact, which made me dip my upper body down and make things worse. After working on soft hands and a loose body swing I had a major breakthrough in accuracy and height.

It really pays off to record your sessions and analyze them later. A terrible terrible sim session gave me enough to go from my worst session to my best one in a while

also I tried this golf fix app that analyzes your swing form and got a perfect 10 on it, which makes me very suspicious. but it looks pretty cool the way it draws the lines around your swing and spotted some things I noticed myself on the bad swings I uploaded.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m also debating buying a net, hitting mat, and an R10 to save money long term on range costs because sweet fancy Moses buckets are expensive over time. Plus I’d get the benefit of ~*data*~

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

waffle enthusiast posted:

I’m also debating buying a net, hitting mat, and an R10 to save money long term on range costs because sweet fancy Moses buckets are expensive over time. Plus I’d get the benefit of ~*data*~

my trick as a beginner is that you rarely ever benefit from more than a small 30-40 ball bucket. 38 balls are lasting me an hour and a half. I take over 2 minutes per ball, counting whiffs as intentional strokes to take 2 and watch the videos to correct for the next one. One time I hit 200 balls and got very little out of it besides several types of pain. Being limited in balls but unlimited in time works wonders for me. As opposed to sims where I'm limited in time but unlimited in balls which never works out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

38 balls are lasting me an hour and a half.

Look at the patience on this guy. Absolutely monastic.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I need a large bucket just to warm up.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

saintonan posted:

I need a large bucket just to warm up.

I see guys hitting a large bucket before a round and marvel. 20 balls is the sweet spot for a warmup for me, plus some chipping if I have time.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I usually stretch, then hit 10-15 short irons, then stretch more, then another 10-15 mid irons, 5-10 fairway woods, then the rest of the bucket with driver before I head to the practice green. It's probably just me getting older, but unless it's hot out, it takes me that long to feel loose and relaxed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
among all of the absolutely terrible stupid and toxic golf people on IG, I think my favorite thing is the absolutely irrational rage commenters have against long drive pros. it's freaking hilarious how every single long drive competitor will have the most unhinged comments on their reels. it really feels like people are emasculated by them or something. the funniest part is that a lot of the long drive pros are also scratch golfers so the usual "how's the short game" comments are even better.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 11, 2024

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Do I get my 16 year old son, who probably isn’t don’t growing yet but isn’t going to be 6’4, a fitting or just go somewhere like Dicks or a PGA store and let him hit a variety of irons to find ones he likes?

I bought him a set of Wilson Profile clubs, $400 bottom barrel clubs. I told him if he really gets into it we will look into a better set. Well he’s 2 months into lessons, with a guy he really trusts and clicks with and the Wilson’s are heavy for him. He tried my old rear end TM Burners and said it was night and day better. His goal is high school golf next season.

So yeah, asking y’all your opinion because this is a pretty cool golf community here that I’ve come to trust with their opinions and feelings on stuff like this.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
as someone who is only slightly more experienced than your kid, a fitting might be too much for him at his age and experience level. It's possible that at a superstore they can figure something out for him without a formal fitting, mostly club length, grip thickness, flex, graphite or steel etc. If you're willing to pay for a brand new set, a lot of the shops give a free fitting if you purchase your clubs with them.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Ask his coach, a lot of them do fittings or know who good fitters are in your area (or they’ll know if he should wait to get fit)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Marucci is the only Instagram golf person anyone should watch.

Skip the stone Marooch!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I love watching an insane Irish man lose his mind, but at the same time teach wisdom.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Clearly the solution is to give him your burners and then buy yourself new irons.

Real talk, if he’s comfortable using your clubs, there’s a huge selection of great used irons in the 250-300 range. Find him some AP1/2s, rocketblades, or something along those lines.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

xsf421 posted:

Clearly the solution is to give him your burners and then buy yourself new irons.

Don’t think I didn’t sit there last night pricing out new irons for myself haha.

wyoak posted:

Ask his coach, a lot of them do fittings or know who good fitters are in your area (or they’ll know if he should wait to get fit)

This is what I’m going to do. His coach has a friend that does fittings and isn’t exclusive to one brand so it is probably the best way to go right now.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Doesn't look like I'll be playing anywhere without a road trip. The tornadoes trashed every course in town. :(

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Douchebag posted:

Do I get my 16 year old son, who probably isn’t don’t growing yet but isn’t going to be 6’4, a fitting or just go somewhere like Dicks or a PGA store and let him hit a variety of irons to find ones he likes?

I bought him a set of Wilson Profile clubs, $400 bottom barrel clubs. I told him if he really gets into it we will look into a better set. Well he’s 2 months into lessons, with a guy he really trusts and clicks with and the Wilson’s are heavy for him. He tried my old rear end TM Burners and said it was night and day better. His goal is high school golf next season.

So yeah, asking y’all your opinion because this is a pretty cool golf community here that I’ve come to trust with their opinions and feelings on stuff like this.

If you've got time to do some research and a bit of time to wait for shipping (2 weeks ish turn around) AND if your son isn't going to have strong Brand Preferences then I would strongly recommend at least looking into Japanese proxy buying services after you establish some baseline info.

1. What are the specs on your burners? Are they stock? What flex and more importantly what weight are they?

2. Do you have a store nearby you can go "try out" some clubs on a monitor just to get some data, but without having to commit to a purchase?

2a. You want the following: driver swing speed, 6i or 7i swing speed, some feedback on feel for a range of shaft weights and secondarily shaft flex. Do make sure you try some graphite shafted irons.

2b. If they bay attendant also does fittings, ask what type of tempo and transition they think your son has. Don't try to "get a fitting for free" just play kind of dumb and ask "so I hear about tempo and transition but I'm not sure I fully understand them, what would you say his qualifies as?"

3. Bring all that data back and from there you can narrow down what type of clubs / specs you want to go looking for.

4. Use a service like ZenMarket to search Rakuten/Yahoo in Japan, find deals, get them consolidated and then shipped to you in the US.

5. Your kid is equipped with potentially the most hipster gear possible that are also incredibly good clubs.

I'm working on a megapost about this, but waiting until I have clubs in hand before I post it. Note that many of these brands have shown up on tour numerous times, but have little to no presence outside of Japan and the asian tours, but they are very high quality. But just to give you some examples:

2015 Onoff Kuro Forged Irons - forged for onoff by Endo, these irons have achieved sort of legendary status on message boards for being both incredibly soft, forgiving, and attractive.

2009 Yonex Cyberstar Nanov Irons - here's a set of forged cb irons, a 10 club set no less, with reg flex NS pro 950gh shafts, so likely in his preferred weight class. Oh they also only cost $130 plus shipping. I'd probably not use a set sand wedge but these look to be in great condition.

2020 Honma TR20v irons - want something a bit newer? Here's a great set of lightly used forge cavity back irons with the upgraded ascending mass graphite shafts.

2020 Honma TR20 460 Driver - Need a big boy driver but don't want to fork over major cash? This thing was widely well regarded at launch, and thanks to Honma abandoning the NA market there is a glut of this equipment, it goes for cheap even on the japanese market. One of the better price/performance options you can get if you are looking to fill out a bag for cheap.

2021 Honma 4 Hybrid - throw in a hybrid while you're at it, Honma releases the fairway woods and hybrids in 21, and while this listing says "stiff" the h-series shafts are actually monoflex.

2021 Honma TR 21 4w and 7w - get your kid in the 4/7 gang right from the start, criminal pricing on these. Truly, I just bought two 7w for me and my wife and paid like $15 more for one and $20 more for the other.

Just a reminder than asian market shafts play a bit soft to stated flex (which is itself a non-standard you can't put much faith in) especially graphite ones. With steel shafts you'll see it less pronounced (e.g TT sells s200 shafts in the Asian market and s300/s400 shafts in the NA market. They all come off the same lines, this is just binning the slightly lighter ones for sale in one market over the other).

These are just examples and also a warning: this is a rabbit hole you can spend infinite time down.

Also my examples are heavily Honma and OnOff specific because that's what I like, also look at brands like Bridgestone, Yamaha, and PRGR.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 12, 2024

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I would really love to buy some of those JP clubs, but the odds of finding something in an actual X flex (X100 or something) is probably low, right?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

I would really love to buy some of those JP clubs, but the odds of finding something in an actual X flex (X100 or something) is probably low, right?

No, not really, with the exception that what you find will bias towards blades and players cavity backs and the most common x flex shaft by far is Dynamic Gold x100

This is the search you want which is basically "flex x iron set" replace the x with S if another person wants to search for stiff. Sometimes putting the x/s/r/a at the front will get different results.

The URL looks a bit jank so if you want to copypasta it's this: フレックスX アイアンセット

A couple more pointers:

1. SR is Stiff-Regular, not senior.
2. If buying clubs manufactured prior to 2010, always check for groove legality if you plan on ever playing in tournaments. Usually stuff 2008+ is safe but not always.
3. Modus 120 is one of the softest-to-stated-flex shafts in steel from any of the major manufacturers, while Modus 130 is one of the firmest to stated flex. Keep this in mind when shopping (see the second chart in this article)

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 12, 2024

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Good on Rory for the win just now. I really hope he keeps playing well now that he's hopefully a little more focused on himself and his game because he is one of the more exciting dudes to watch when he's playing well.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

Holy crap an actual set of Onoff 2014/2015's with x-flex shafts. Get these, or maybe these near new looking mp-64's

Oh and if its not clear, on most listings you will need to follow the "see this item on rakuten" link in order to see all of the photos.

I'm starting to think x-flex "players" clubs are like convertibles, if you look for just a bit you'll start to find ones that were vanity purchases and rarely used.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 13, 2024

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Good on Rory for the win just now. I really hope he keeps playing well now that he's hopefully a little more focused on himself and his game because he is one of the more exciting dudes to watch when he's playing well.

So good to watch when he's on and when he starts sinking putts from 15 feet in it's game over for everyone else. Can't wait for the PGA.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEMorris posted:

If you've got time to do some research and a bit of time to wait for shipping (2 weeks ish turn around) AND if your son isn't going to have strong Brand Preferences then I would strongly recommend at least looking into Japanese proxy buying services after you establish some baseline info.

This is dangerous knowledge, especially since I don’t need a proxy shipper - just probably re-gripping to add an inch into the butt of every club (I’m 6’4, but it seems like Japanese club lengths are the same at least :v: ). I’ve been tempted to get back into the game in the last year or two, but I also might wait to go pick up my old clubs from home just to skip the “buying beginner clubs again” stage.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Holy crap an actual set of Onoff 2014/2015's with x-flex shafts. Get these

Jumped on these. Time to start my jdm club adventure, I guess.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Just got back from walking Valhalla. Beautiful course. The weather was amazing the last two days - the PGA will pray it gets back to this after the rain tomorrow.

All the big names were out - I'm guessing because of the rain the next two days. First time at a PGA event and it was very cool to soak it in. Can't wait to go back Sunday - I hope it's competitive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060694 :siren:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hell yeah Rose Zhang

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That moment when you realize your newly gained height and launch angles are due to an open clubface and your accuracy was so bad to begin with you didnt notice it when comparing to previous sessions

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've lost confidence in my driver. Can't hit the center, feel like I'm flailing. Decided to try the newest version of the Burner mini, since I'd played the SLDR mini ten years ago and like it.

Arrived yesterday, had some extra range time today before the round, so I hit many bad shots with it to "groove" an ineffective swing.

Normally, I only hit driver on 5, 11, 12 and 16. Today, I hit driver any time it was remotely appropriate, so 1,2,3,5,9,10,11,12,14,15, 16 and 18.

Bad drives on 1,2 and 5, but brilliant on 3, so high hopes. From 9 on, 6 of 8 fairways, and the two I missed I hit through the dog leg. Once I had the tee height where I wanted it, it was just on. Not as long as my longest with my normal driver, but also not hitting out of rough/behind trees. Now, to carry that over to Friday morning.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’m jealous of that immediate result. I’ve hated every driver I’ve ever used because my brain is smooth and I cannot stop myself from hitting it like a wood.

Right now, my numbers for a 3Wood off the deck are 95 club speed, 135 ball speed, carry 205, with a slight fade. Very playable, and occasionally majestic when I really get my weight forward hit through the ball.

Driver is 98 club speed, 135 ball speed, carry 215 with a disgusting slice. And no matter how much I tell myself to keep my head back and hit UP on the ball, my dumb loving monkey brain shortcircuits. The only way to get my attack angle up and path in to out is to leave the face so open that the ball ends up at the Republican national convention.

Anyway, golf sucks

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to hit that learning curve where you sorta know what to do but your body just does whatever it wants. and when you get it to do what you want consistently, something else breaks. inching towards progress though!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I took my son to a PGA store yesterday, got him on the monitor and the guy let him try a few different irons to see how he’s doing.

Pulled his exact brand 7 from a box, and he hit a TM Stealth and a Callaway Rogue.

All averaged around 94-96 ball speed, but his best shots actually came with his current 7.

Right now sticking with what he has until he’s at a consistent swing plane and his ball speed comes up then we will invest in a full set, so probably Birthday/Christmas (his Bday is the end of Dec anyway).

Also getting new grips on mine (I really need to invest some time and learn to do it but right now just want it done ASAP) and he can use my set when he wants to.

Next week I’m taking him out to play 9 atleast once, need to get him out on a course and off the range more.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this little sub is so awesome sometimes.

@GEMorris, I glanced at some stuff you linked and I have it saved for down the road, thank you!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Swing speed chat? I picked up a cheapish TSR3 with a tour AD IZ shaft that seems to suit me really well. This was the “all out” swing I connected best on.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

xsf421 posted:

Swing speed chat? I picked up a cheapish TSR3 with a tour AD IZ shaft that seems to suit me really well. This was the “all out” swing I connected best on.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean I carry it about 245 and I'm okay with that!