Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I used Magearna. Just gotta hope you don’t get hit with Sing too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
That's part of Goldengho's strength, every Sing is a free turn

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I went however many years without doing a second playthrough of Shield, and now I just finished my second one and started my third (traded off a bunch of legendaries for ones I can't get cos I refuse to get the SV expansion) and, like, gently caress off, Hop! Could that kid be any more clingy?

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Gen 8 to me always felt like it had all the recessive genes of Gens 6 and 7 with none of their redeeming qualities. Its selection of rival-adjacents are one-note and don't really amount to much interesting like in XY, but they manage to stop the game every 5 minutes with cutscenes as in SM.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh man, this Primarina raid was pretty easy. I just brought my Clodsire and he was literally indestructible. Liquid Voice means that Sing has no effect on a Pokémon with Water Absorb, lol. I think he took a small amount of damage from a Psychic and a Moonblast, but was healed back up with leftovers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best part of Sword/Shield is still the Gym Leader battle theme.

There's some vaguely interesting characters on there (and some characters that have apparently been very popular, like Leon/Raihan), some kinda neat Pokemon like Wooloo, but it's not a big game for me otherwise (and personally has the least appealing starter trio).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

All the Starter pokemon should've been related to sports

Cinderace - Soccer
Rillaboom - Rugby
Inteleon - Water Polo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cambria Bold posted:

Gen 8 to me always felt like it had all the recessive genes of Gens 6 and 7 with none of their redeeming qualities. Its selection of rival-adjacents are one-note and don't really amount to much interesting like in XY, but they manage to stop the game every 5 minutes with cutscenes as in SM.

I miss rivals that were actually rivals, and not just cheerleaders who challenged you to a fight every once in awhile.

Like Blue, Blue was an rear end in a top hat. He was always one step ahead of you, and he wanted you to know it. There was satisfaction in sending him back to the Pokecenter.

Modern day rivals don't even register as a threat, because within the first 10 minutes of the game, you've already unambiguously been told that you are the Super Special Legendary Chosen One as Foretold in the Prophecy, so dealing with any so-called rivals is just free xp at best and a minor chore you have to deal with at worst.

But, I'm also just an old man complaining about a children's videogame.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gladion was kind of a 'jerk' rival even if Hop was your main one for SuMo. Same with Bebe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, Nemona was fun in my opinion at least but yeah, the whole jerk rival aspect is still sort of intact as mentioned above but it’s not quite as common anymore (prior to Gladion I think the last major one was Silver)

We sort of had some in Gen 9 with Carmine and Kieran as well though they were just DLC content

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 12, 2024

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I think Barry struck a pretty good balance between being a friend and a rival. Every other instance I can think of where they try to emphasize the rivalry in the friendly rival (Cheren, Hop, Calem/Serena) just ends up with the rival having an existential crisis after you repeatedly beat their rear end.

Nemona was fun though. She's a cheerleader but she's doing it specifically because she wants to coax you into being strong enough to battle her at full capacity. She's Pokemon Goku and I kinda love it. SV's band of friends is just generally really fun to be honest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vinylshadow posted:

All the Starter pokemon should've been related to sports

Cinderace - Soccer
Rillaboom - Rugby
Inteleon - Water Polo

inteleon is biathlon. it's in the name

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

oddium posted:

inteleon is biathlon. it's in the name

Isn't it intellect + chameleon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Intelleon would be much funnier as a water/ice type wearing skis than a bad MI6/James Bond ripoff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We'll probably never have a part-ice starter because that'd force them to make its stats on par with the other two, and Ice types aren't allowed to have usable stats

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Vinylshadow posted:

We'll probably never have a part-ice starter because that'd force them to make its stats on par with the other two, and Ice types aren't allowed to have usable stats

All Pokemon are useable.... IF YOU USE THEM :rolleye:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't it intellect + chameleon

no

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gladion was kind of a 'jerk' rival even if Hop was your main one for SuMo. Same with Bebe.

Yeah but even then, it goes back to my other point about how you were already told by the plot that you're the Chosen One, so really, what kind of threat are you going to see him as?
And Gladion wasn't a jerk to you personally, he was just taking out his family issues on everyone around him.
Blue, since he's obviously the best example, was personally invested in making you his special project.

Although yeah, Nemona gets a pass. At least with her, it's pointed out repeatedly that she is literally holding back and just raising a fresh team parallel to yours specifically to help you train/kill time while you do your gym challenges. There's no "Ok! I'm super serious for real this time! *gets loving rekt*" like other rivals.
And yeah, Pokemon Goku is just fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nemona is obviously the best. They really solved rival characters with her. When you beat her she's happy for you. She just loves fighting, it feels great.

But I will say Hop wasn't as bad as people were saying because they actually did something with his whole arc. Yes he challenges you repeatedly with the whole "this time I'll beat you!" mentality, and necessarily loses every time. And it's kind of sad. But they lean into that. It's heartbreaking when he comes back at you after benching his Dubwool. He's left behind his cute companion who's been with him from the start because he just wants to beat you. gently caress. But then he comes around. He realizes he doesn't have to live up to his brother's legacy, he can live his own life, and starts fighting with his Dubwool again. Eventually that culminates in him deciding to be a pokemon professor instead. He finds a new positive path. It's actually very wholesome!

Honestly, I think Bede being an rear end in a top hat and finding a place with the fairy gym is also great, if slightly underdeveloped. Sword/Shield had decent ideas, they just didn't come together very well.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Eiba posted:

Nemona is obviously the best. They really solved rival characters with her. When you beat her she's happy for you. She just loves fighting, it feels great.

But I will say Hop wasn't as bad as people were saying because they actually did something with his whole arc. Yes he challenges you repeatedly with the whole "this time I'll beat you!" mentality, and necessarily loses every time. And it's kind of sad. But they lean into that. It's heartbreaking when he comes back at you after benching his Dubwool. He's left behind his cute companion who's been with him from the start because he just wants to beat you. gently caress. But then he comes around. He realizes he doesn't have to live up to his brother's legacy, he can live his own life, and starts fighting with his Dubwool again. Eventually that culminates in him deciding to be a pokemon professor instead. He finds a new positive path. It's actually very wholesome!

Honestly, I think Bede being an rear end in a top hat and finding a place with the fairy gym is also great, if slightly underdeveloped. Sword/Shield had decent ideas, they just didn't come together very well.

I do like the moment when you beat Hop in the elite four tournament when he's clearly frustrated but he chooses to let it go and be happy for you. Sword and Shield have plenty of strong moments, they just never coalesce into a strong game as a whole.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The real question is who would come out on top between Nemona and Kieran.

(Its Nemona)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The real question is who would come out on top between Nemona and Kieran.

(Its Nemona)

Is the fact that this is canon :thejoke:?
Because yeah, he tells you that she straight up pwned him.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Nemona's a fantastic character and her theme is awesome (and probably one of the best songs in the game).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want to know how powerful Geeta really is. You and Nemona beat her on the reg but never actually become top champion. >_>
What kind of bureaucratic nonsense lets her retain her grasp on power? :argh:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AlternateNu posted:

I want to know how powerful Geeta really is. You and Nemona beat her on the reg but never actually become top champion. >_>
What kind of bureaucratic nonsense lets her retain her grasp on power? :argh:

Like you said, bureaucracy.
"Top" Champion is probably some sort of job title, once you hit Champion rank then that's as high as you officially go as far as the league is concerned, unless you opt to work for them, then you can probably get a side hustle as a gym leader or elite 4 member.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 12, 2024

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Also you and Nemona are children, and she's an adult.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Deeters posted:

Also you and Nemona are children, and she's an adult.

Counterpoint: Poppy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

the_steve posted:

Counterpoint: Poppy

Not a top champion though, merely an Elite Four

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vinylshadow posted:

Not a top champion though, merely an Elite Four

She still works for the league in an official capacity despite being 5.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, by anime standards she’d be too young to even be a licensed trainer so that’s still pretty impressive

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Paldea's child labour laws are very backwards

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Apparently she's actually 9. :psyduck:

Larryb posted:

Yeah, by anime standards she’d be too young to even be a licensed trainer so that’s still pretty impressive

Does Horizons still have the age limit from the Ash era?

I've heard good things about Horizons, so I should probably get around to watching it.

Got this fella at the start, and started journeying around in new Sinnoh.

Turns out BDSP's RNG is a lot more predictable than the other Switch games.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Araxxor posted:

I've heard good things about Horizons, so I should probably get around to watching it.

Gonna be real took me a bit to realize that's a shiny Piplup and was confused about what the RNG had to with the Starters.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Araxxor posted:

How?
I mean, isn't Red 10 at the start of R/B/Y?

Hell, I thought 10-12 was the default age of every mainline protagonist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Can't remember if it's ever come up but there haven't been any trainers on the show younger than Ash yet at least aside from a cameo by Poppy. And yeah, Horizons is good and you should check it out

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No way Poppy's nine years old. She's like, four.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Red was 11 and the ages of the protagonists vary wildly.

Hilbert and Hilda were apparently designed to be around 14-16. Calem and Serena are older than Emma, who is explicitly said to be 16. Rei and Akari are “around 16” which makes them adults by Hisui standards.

We have numbers for Red/Leaf in RBY/FRLG (11) and for Brendan and May in ORAS (12). (Also Wally is 10.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Aren't Elio, Selene and probably Hau all 11? Since that's when the Island Challenge is traditionally done.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's no age limit on being a trainer when there are actual kindergarteners hanging out in the woods waiting to ambush you with a double battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HopperUK posted:

No way Poppy's nine years old. She's like, four.

What people don't realize is she's going to look exactly the same in 50 years because she has the anime version of whatever this girl has basically turning her into Baby Doll from Batman.