Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i used to have the poster version of this from an issue of white dwarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Do khorne demons ever need to just stop and take a poo poo

Neverborn 2 poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

i used to have the poster version of this from an issue of white dwarf

Thats heresy ya git

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Thats heresy ya git

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

William Bear posted:

I'm sorry, did you not like Dan Abnett's impossibly baroque description of the Golden Throne? 675 words! One sentence!

The best part is immediately after that Malcador thinks "eh. It's just a room"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Benagain posted:

The best part is immediately after that Malcador thinks "eh. It's just a room"

"i've seen goldener"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

"i've seen goldener"

you seen one dead god you seen them all

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Has a space marine ever fallen in love

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the canon is iron-hard consistent for both doylist and watsonian reasons that space marines don't do love and don't do direct children. doylist because for years in the 80s basically no female models sold, watsonian because the emperor is a normal-human supremacist and didn't want space marines replacing normal humans. he even intended normal humans to replace him in ruling eventually, although malcador kinda scoffed at that

slaanesh marines do sexual assault, tho, thats a thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fabius Bile has a daughter, but he did build her.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ignores the actual question though, and the answer canonically is absolutely they just do it in an extremely gay but extremely non sexual way.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, theyre chaste gay-coded. isaac newtons all of them

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn a Salamander has fallen in love before. If anyone would, it's those guys.

That's more familial love though. Sexually, I believe Space Marines are literally incapable of feeling that. Like that part of their brain is destroyed by surgery or chemicals incapable.

In terms of lust you're looking at Slanesh marines, maybe Khorne if you squit your eyes since those guys are obsessed with killing to such a degree they might feel an echo of sexual pleasure in it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the emperor is a normal-human supremacist and didn't want space marines replacing normal humans. he even intended normal humans to replace him in ruling eventually, although malcador kinda scoffed at that

Ehhh, not entirely true. The emps whole thing was guiding the ascension of humanity and the primarch project was really about forcing the issue. The emperor was seriously uninterested in waiting for humanity to grow naturally.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Kardan Stronos and Jalenghaal of the Iron Hands are boyfriends imho

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
How do space marines speak? Do they speak like nerds or because there 38,000 years of language development are they like "no cap, 让一些混乱的家伙搞砸吧, ad imperatorem"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
high gothic is supposed to be a future language but in all actual cases basically just dog latin. low gothic is also supposed to be a bewildering menagerie of future languages but in all actual cases english or accented english

for being a distant descendent of tolkien, warhams is pretty uninterested in linguistics, except for referencing stuff by linguistic drift, they fuckin love that linguistic drift. the Tale of Gigamech (Gilgamesh)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

high gothic is supposed to be a future language but in all actual cases basically just dog latin. low gothic is also supposed to be a bewildering menagerie of future languages but in all actual cases english or accented english

for being a distant descendent of tolkien, warhams is pretty uninterested in linguistics, except for referencing stuff by linguistic drift, they fuckin love that linguistic drift

That's why you just use your imagination and make space marines talk like

Disco Pope posted:

"no cap, 让一些混乱的家伙搞砸吧, ad imperatorem"

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Disco Pope posted:

How do space marines speak? Do they speak like nerds or because there 38,000 years of language development are they like "no cap, 让一些混乱的家伙搞砸吧, ad imperatorem"

In the writing in the books it gets slapped around that all text is in English for the reader but is really in either high Gothic or low Gothic. High Gothic is all the pseudo-Latin vocabulary, low Gothic is basically any commoner speak; two languages in an empire of untold trillions.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Disco Pope posted:

One of the details about the writing of FFG's Space Marine RPG, Deathwatch, was that the authors had a lot of trouble getting anything approved by GW. One issue they ran into time and again when writing any quotes was that GW wouldn't let a Space Marine use a contraction.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Suffer not a contraction to live

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

SirPhoebos posted:

One of the details about the writing of FFG's Space Marine RPG, Deathwatch, was that the authors had a lot of trouble getting anything approved by GW. One issue they ran into time and again when writing any quotes was that GW wouldn't let a Space Marine use a contraction.
A quick look through 40K's writing seems to prove that restriction is rather arbitrarily enforced.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh, so that's why they won't let women be space marines.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chainchompz posted:

In the writing in the books it gets slapped around that all text is in English for the reader but is really in either high Gothic or low Gothic. High Gothic is all the pseudo-Latin vocabulary, low Gothic is basically any commoner speak; two languages in an empire of untold trillions.

Does Cadia call it Coke, Soda, or Pop?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure current Cadia calls it "Pop" for a very serious reason.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Ignores the actual question though, and the answer canonically is absolutely they just do it in an extremely gay but extremely non sexual way.

yup

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

They call it soda and now that the planet exploded pop is taken as a reference to pop rocks and calling it that is an offense worthy of death.

This would be a huge problem but no one else likes the cadians or wants to socialize with them. Also soda is not part of official rations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh, so that's why they won't let women be space marines.

BOOOO

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Has a servitor ever developed a personality

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smugworth posted:

writing the kindle novel now

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

sad question posted:

"His mind reeled trying to understand the indescribable horror before him. An interracial couple or birth certificate proving his ancestors were Welsh."

Immediately puts bolter in mouth and pulls trigger 7 times.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Servitors vary widely in canon, there's a whole spectrum from lobotomized automoton to "on this planet the punishment is getting hardwired into a car AND keeping your personality."

So, yes and also there's a ton that still horrifyingly kept theirs from their previous existence. It just doesn't matter.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Servitors vary a lot from heavily augmented or altered humans with a degree of awareness to meat puppets with silica biowafers jammed in their brain bits to program them to do stuff.

Could be worse, you could be a thallax.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

for being a distant descendent of tolkien, warhams is pretty uninterested in linguistics, except for referencing stuff by linguistic drift, they fuckin love that linguistic drift. the Tale of Gigamech (Gilgamesh)

By the Horus Heresy, the Imperium has recovered all three of Shakespire's plays

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Benagain posted:

Servitors vary widely in canon, there's a whole spectrum from lobotomized automoton to "on this planet the punishment is getting hardwired into a car AND keeping your personality."

So, yes and also there's a ton that still horrifyingly kept theirs from their previous existence. It just doesn't matter.

One of my favourite sections of a 40k novel comes from Guy Haley's Flesh And Steel, which is a murder mystery involving servitors. The main character is brought through a servitor manufactory when visiting a suspect to question.

quote:

The sound was the worst. Shouting, screaming, praying, weeping, all the cries of human terror and misery.
I’m not a squeamish man, and nor do I spare tears for those who deserve punishment, but what I saw in that processorium haunts me still.
Naked human beings were standing in a switchbacked line between high fences. Outside the fences Adeptus Mechanicus menials in environment suits stood guard with shock goads in hand. The people, all mature men and women, were shepherded down the caged walk like livestock. And they were food beasts being led to the slaughter, meat for the ravenous appetite of the Machine-God. I grew up lucky enough to eat real meat. I was unlucky enough to see where it came from – another gift of my father on another drat tour of my family’s various businesses. The manufactorum produced servitors, but it was more akin to an abattoir than a workshop. Every surface was easily cleanable. Large plastek flaps divided areas from each other. Servitors with spray units surgically attached to their backs prowled about, hosing filth into slit drains set into the perfectly smooth, slanted floors. We walked above all this, past sentry pods on spikes occupied by galvanic rifle-armed snipers. Our path went from one end of the hall to the other, and I could see pretty much the whole sorting process, beginning to end.
As the line slowly advanced, the people were passed through various scanning devices, most of them mounted in ugly, functional arches that let out a constant series of acceptance chimes. Occasionally, one would let out an angry blare, and the indicator lumens would flash red. The rejected person was then swallowed up by a trapdoor opening beneath their feet. From these pits wafted a hideous stench, and the grinding sounds of industrial mincers. One rejected man grabbed on to the lip and hung there, arms and hands bloodied, shouting a stream of defiant profanities. Guards lined the grating either side of him and shocked him until he fell. The adepts wouldn’t even waste bullets on these people.
The trapdoor flipped up, and the next terrified person was ushered forward.
A number of pneumatic gates separated the people from each part of the process, snapping open and shut with bone-crushing force.
Violent metal arms snatched them up and spread-eagled them in the air, and a servitor shearer shaved them all over. At another they were subjected to a high-pressure counterseptic wash whose chemical stink made me choke from a hundred feet away. More scanners, more rejects winnowed out. Machines forcibly dressed them in the heavy rubberised garments common to all mono-tasked servitors. These were saggy on them, all one size, until another process force-shrank them to fit their bodies where metal cuffs, sockets and collars bit into vulnerable flesh. The last few prayers gave way to screams at that point, and even the most stoic shouted in pain. They were ushered over a floor buzzing with power that made them shriek with every footstep.
‘What’s that for?’ I asked.
Djelling answered only reluctantly. ‘Follicular inhibitor. To stop their hair growing,’ he said.
‘How?’ I asked.
Djelling was done answering. ‘Come, come, this way.’ He waved me over to a door.
I didn’t come this way. I watched numbly. The shivering lines of terrified men and women reached a final series of gates, where a high-energy augur beam of such potency it made my dataslate buzz passed over them. Dazed, they were manhandled into different queues, and then hustled from the room to their fates.

Very effective horror

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

By the Horus Heresy, the Imperium has recovered all three of Shakespire's plays

please don't tell them about MacBeth. Or Hamlet

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

One of my favourite sections of a 40k novel comes from Guy Haley's Flesh And Steel, which is a murder mystery involving servitors. The main character is brought through a servitor manufactory when visiting a suspect to question.

Very effective horror

It’s stuff like this that makes the blood mad berserkers with chainsaw axes dedicated to warp gods feel like the less hosed up choice. Chaos makes sense, getting a bit too mad/depressed/tricksy/horny are understandably human evils whereas the imperiums uncaring bureaucratic nightmare system is inhuman evil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For all the intentions with Space Marines, also best to keep in mind the implications in a lot of stuff that like the Thunder Warriors before them, the Space Marines are strongly implied to have originally been intended as tools with an intended use, to be discarded when their liability outweighs their utility. Naturally, ol' Empy didn't tell anyone this, and iirc some implications is at least one Legion turned traitor when they figured that out. There's the occasional hint the Lost Legions were exterminated when they went off the rails earlier than planned, and the Space Wolves originally were outright built around fighting other Space Marines. (Ironically they actually decided to turn back from that when after Prospero they realised they'd end up with no allies left if they kept going)

Also keep in mind that Space Marines are physically and genetically altered to resemble the Primarchs, in often distinct ways for each one (most obvious with the Blood Angels) and effectively make the Horus Heresy one giant family feud.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of all warhams is about the worthlessness of fathers in many many ways

its like a weird agnate version of disney orphan syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a lot of all warhams is about the worthlessness of fathers in many many ways