Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

lobsterminator posted:

Better to err the other way.

"I'm literally drowning here!" I scream from a flooding cave.

"I feel you buddy!" a bypasser replies to my apparently figurative remark.

"I'm actually drowning here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Drowning fr fr no cap

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think a drowning person would bother with either intensifiers or qualifiers when asking for help. In fact, they would probably say something like HELP AAAAAAAAAH I'M DROWNING HELP HELP HELP BLRGHBLRGH HELP.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

In my experience drowning people don't say anything at all because they're too busy with the business of drowning (literally).

Totally unrelated: is there a tool I can use to analyze my spending and sort things into categories and whatnot that isn't Mint.com and doesn't share all of my personal data with some faceless corporation that will use it for their own nefarious purposes?

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 13, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, drowning typically involves no yelling or splashing and frequently the people nearby don't realize anything is wrong at all

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

In my experience drowning people don't say anything at all because they're too busy with the business of drowning (literally).

Totally unrelated: is there a tool I can use to analyze my spending and sort things into categories and whatnot that isn't Mint.com and doesn't share all of my personal data with some faceless corporation that will use it for their own nefarious purposes?

Do you want one that automatically syncs your stuff?

I use You Need a Budget (ynab), but it’s an envelope system budgeting app with a very specific philosophy in mind. It’s also fairly expensive if you go with the current subscription-based option.

You can automatically sync accounts to ynab but it works best if you enter transactions as you make them or schedule them manually. This may be quite onerous depending on your financial setup, but pushing to make it more efficient and transparent is part of successfully budgeting too, imo.

If that’s not your speed or you want to poke around with open source and/or self-hosted options, this Reddit thread has an impressive rundown of some of the ongoing projects like that. https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/s/BrJxmmamFz

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kedo posted:

My online banking does this. But also, is there any reason you are not using excel or similar? You'd have to do a bit of manual work, but it works pretty well.

Also, spend less on candles.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

tuyop posted:

Do you want one that automatically syncs your stuff?

Yeah I'd rather it sync automatically with the option to re-categorize transactions if they were incorrectly labelled.

Thanks for the recommendations and the reddit link!

BonHair posted:

My online banking does this. But also, is there any reason you are not using excel or similar? You'd have to do a bit of manual work, but it works pretty well.

Also, spend less on candles.

Hmmm, I'll have to check if my bank/credit card does this, but when I looked through them most recently I don't recall seeing anything.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 13, 2024

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
What is a reel on Facebook/insta? I wanted to post a video on Instagram but it uploaded it as a reel, same when I shared it to Facebook. Facebook says it has 880 views, but I don’t even have that many friends. Also it’s been shared twice and I can’t see by who. Can someone explain what a reel is like I’ve never used social media before? Googling didn’t help much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Koivunen posted:

What is a reel on Facebook/insta? I wanted to post a video on Instagram but it uploaded it as a reel, same when I shared it to Facebook. Facebook says it has 880 views, but I don’t even have that many friends. Also it’s been shared twice and I can’t see by who. Can someone explain what a reel is like I’ve never used social media before? Googling didn’t help much.

when tiktok started becoming popular, every other social media platform decided that they, too, needed a short vertical video format. "reels" are meta's version.

these "reels" are more aggressively shared with people outside of your network by their algorithm (compared to posts and stories), which is why if you are logged into ig or facebook and start scrolling you might see a bunch of random reels made by people you don't know. that's what is happening to the ones you make as well. they are recommended based on the algorithms perception of the subject matter rather than based on personal connections.

this is different from "posts" which only go in your own feed and are visible mainly to people who are following you, and from "stories" which are also intended for your followers, and which also have the distinction of being temporary (24 hours i think). reels also have similar features to tiktok and snapchat, like silly camera filters and effects and stickers etc. which are not found in normal posts.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 13, 2024

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm going to be selling a ton of old action figures I've had since I was a kid. What site is the go-to to find out which are even worth selling vs kit bashing fodder?

Ebay is kind of the classic for stuff like this, but Facebook marketplace might have some entries that are selling other figures. I know my city has a few collectable shops, and a fairly regular toy fair and I think just about every one of those people are way overestimating what they can sell these things for (and seeing the same inventory every time seems to back this up).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a thread for being a waiter/waitress?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a thread for being a waiter/waitress?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Includes culinary + food/bev reps

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there a way to filter tiktok videos for location and recency?

A couple of times this week someone has I'm pretty sure tried the "door kick" challenge or something of the sort and I think it'd be very funny if I could find them through that but I'm also an elder millennial so these ticked tocks confuse and frighten me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's the current best free/open source thing for basic video editing? Just need to edit sound levels and stitch some videos together

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

What's the current best free/open source thing for basic video editing? Just need to edit sound levels and stitch some videos together

DaVinci Resolve.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Davinci Resolve was already mentioned and it's absolutely a good pick. Just wanted to add that Shotcut is also a decent alternative if you're constrained by system specs. Less powerful than Davinci Resolve, but also quite a bit more lightweight.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for this!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember the name of a short story I read once, about a terrorist who goes around spraying up patterns that drive people mad when they see him. The terrorist has a mask that protects him from the pattern, but he is arrested and put in jail, and eventually his brain puts the pattern together on its own and he's driven mad.

I feel like it would be a Charles Stross story, but I can't find anything that looks correct.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a short story I read once, about a terrorist who goes around spraying up patterns that drive people mad when they see him. The terrorist has a mask that protects him from the pattern, but he is arrested and put in jail, and eventually his brain puts the pattern together on its own and he's driven mad.

I feel like it would be a Charles Stross story, but I can't find anything that looks correct.
Googling your description, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story) came up

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That's it, thank you!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Earwicker posted:

when tiktok started becoming popular, every other social media platform decided that they, too, needed a short vertical video format. "reels" are meta's version.

these "reels" are more aggressively shared with people outside of your network by their algorithm (compared to posts and stories), which is why if you are logged into ig or facebook and start scrolling you might see a bunch of random reels made by people you don't know. that's what is happening to the ones you make as well. they are recommended based on the algorithms perception of the subject matter rather than based on personal connections.

this is different from "posts" which only go in your own feed and are visible mainly to people who are following you, and from "stories" which are also intended for your followers, and which also have the distinction of being temporary (24 hours i think). reels also have similar features to tiktok and snapchat, like silly camera filters and effects and stickers etc. which are not found in normal posts.

Thanks, this makes sense. I’ve got something like 1.5k views which I don’t like, I just wanted to share it with my friends, but couldn’t figure out how to make it a normal video and not a reel once it was linked from Instagram.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Koivunen posted:

Thanks, this makes sense. I’ve got something like 1.5k views which I don’t like, I just wanted to share it with my friends, but couldn’t figure out how to make it a normal video and not a reel once it was linked from Instagram.

unfortunately, you can't change the format once it's posted. and its a bit tricky because if you want to make a post, and you upload a video, ig will automatically assume you want to make a reel instead so you have to go back and make sure to set it back to "post" before you post it

also if you really want to make sure no one but your friends is seeing your stuff, set your profile to private

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Remember that Facebook notoriously lies about video views so someone having it pass by their feed without clicking or even pausing on it might count as a view.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I moved to a new home two years ago and the IRS is still sending me letters (CP148B) once every month or two to let me know they've changed my address. And I'm like, "yeah I know, you have literally mailed this to me (AND to my old address, which the new tenants have forwarded to me) a dozen times or more for a total of 24+ letters."

When will they stop? :(

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How is it possible for the Unabomber Manifesto to be available on Amazon? Wouldn't buying a manifesto like that get you put on a bunch of lists? And, who is publishing this anyway?

I'm sure Ted Kaczynski is rolling in his grave over it being on Amazon, but that's beside the point.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

two fish posted:

How is it possible for the Unabomber Manifesto to be available on Amazon? Wouldn't buying a manifesto like that get you put on a bunch of lists? And, who is publishing this anyway?

I'm sure Ted Kaczynski is rolling in his grave over it being on Amazon, but that's beside the point.

It's available because people want to read it. You can also buy mein kampf if you want. The manifesto is public domain. Anybody can publish a copy.
Kaczynski also wrote a second book that he retained the rights to. You can buy that on Amazon, too.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

two fish posted:

Manufacturing consent. To (probably poorly) paraphrase Chomsky. In an authoritarian dictatorship there is propaganda that everyone says but no-one believes, in a society that claims to be a democracy you're free to say anything but most people believe the propaganda.
Not an endorsement of Kaczynski but an explanation of why dissenting views are made available.

jeremiah johnson fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 15, 2024

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Earwicker posted:

unfortunately, you can't change the format once it's posted. and its a bit tricky because if you want to make a post, and you upload a video, ig will automatically assume you want to make a reel instead so you have to go back and make sure to set it back to "post" before you post it

also if you really want to make sure no one but your friends is seeing your stuff, set your profile to private

Thanks for the info. I’m not that old (mid 30s) but I’m just not good at figuring out social media stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

two fish posted:

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/amendment-1/#:~:text=First%20Amendment%20Fundamental%20Freedoms,for%20a%20redress%20of%20grievances

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

two fish posted:

Wouldn't buying a manifesto like that get you put on a bunch of lists?

The manifesto was printed in the Washington Post newspaper in 1995 and is still freely available from that same source. This is not exactly obscure underground samizdat material we're talking about here.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 15, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The manifesto was printed in the Washington Post newspaper in 1995 and is still freely available from that same source. This is not exactly obscure underground samizdat material we're talking about here.

I actually have a hard time imagining that sort of thing happening today. Not that it would be illegal just that news outlets would refuse to publish it for fear of glorifying a killer and encouraging copycats.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

They don't really need to, anybody with a manifesto can post it a million places online, do some terrible acts to get news attention, and somebody will find it and connect them.

iirc the unabomber's isn't even specifically a call to violence, it's more "modern society is bad and we should undo it, that might be a slow process".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

two fish posted:

How is it possible for the Unabomber Manifesto to be available on Amazon? Wouldn't buying a manifesto like that get you put on a bunch of lists?

these are not mutually exclusive. the unabomber's manifesto is available on amazon because there's nothing illegal about it. its also entirely possible that buying the book, technically, results in you being on "some kind of list" in the sense that a list of people who bought the book likely exists and could be accessed by some government agency if they wanted to, but what would they do with that information?

it is interesting that new zealand banned the manifesto of the christchurch murderer, however (not having actually read it) everything ive seen about it seems to indicate that its just a shoddily written version of the replacement theory idea, and a quick search reveals literally dozens of outright unapologetic nazi replacement theory books for sale on amazon. are the people who buy those books ending up on "some kind of list"? possibly but its pretty unlikely that anything is done with that information other than it just existing in a database somewhere.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

it is interesting that new zealand banned the manifesto of the christchurch murderer, however (not having actually read it) everything ive seen about it seems to indicate that its just a shoddily written version of the replacement theory idea, and a quick search reveals literally dozens of outright unapologetic nazi replacement theory books for sale on amazon. are the people who buy those books ending up on "some kind of list"? possibly but its pretty unlikely that anything is done with that information other than it just existing in a database somewhere.
If there was a list of everyone who consumed media pushing the nazi replacement theory they would also have to put everyone who watched (at least some episodes of) Tucker Carlson on Fox News on it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

If there was a list of everyone who consumed media pushing the nazi replacement theory they would also have to put everyone who watched (at least some episodes of) Tucker Carlson on Fox News on it

true, but the list of "people who buy book X from website Y" is a bit easier to access and track than getting a list of all people who watched some episodes of a network tv show

but again its just information existing somewhere, no law enforcement or intelligence organization is likely to actually do anything with that information, which would involve thousands upon thousands of people many of whom are cops or some kind of law enforcement. like even regardless of first amendment issues there's another pretty huge reason that no major law enforcement agency in the us is particularly motivated to track down fascists

right now the books that are attracting negative attention from government agencies in certain states is anything even remotely lgbtq related in a school library or even public library. thats who the state is actually going after, school librarians, not nazis or other would-be killers

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 15, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Ted Kaczynski's manifesto is pretty well written and lucid, as stupid as anarcho primitivism is it's still interesting to read the thing written by a dipshit terrorist as a historical document of that moment in time.

Since his ideology is a dead end that nobody is interested in there's not really any reason to oppress it. If someone decides to bomb a couple schools or something the government would be pretty happy with that, it's just more justification for security and surveillance laws. Ideologies that actually get oppressed are ones that involve class consciousness ala the evolution of the civil rights movement into a class based movement that convinced the government to assassinate all their leaders in the late 60s/early 70s, because that's a movement that could actually threaten capitalism.

All forms of anarchism are super useful for the capitalist state to keep around and thriving, including anarcho primitivism, specifically because they are not historically or even logically capable of accomplishing anything meaningful.

Also reading manufacturing consent is pretty relevant to the question, the state has no reason to censor books in our current ideological apparatus because books can't accomplish anything without practicioners who you can just murder like the original BLM organizers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm having a bit of a technical issue with work stuff but while I'm waiting for IT support to get back to me I thought I'd try my luck here.

I just bought a new phone and transferred all my old apps and data to the new phone successfully, or so I thought. The one sticking point was the accounts for MS Authenticator. I use it for personal accounts as well as my work account, per their policy. So whenever I change my work password, I have to re-authenticate using the app. Problem is that for my work account, the authentication request is going to my old phone, which isn't an option because it was factory reset. So now that I've changed my work password, all my Microsoft work applications are locked out, because I can't access that authenticator. When I try to sign in to my work account on the authenticator on the new phone, it also sends an authentication request to the old phone, which again, will never work.

I don't know if there's something basic I'm missing, but any help would be appreciated.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

CzarChasm posted:

I'm having a bit of a technical issue with work stuff but while I'm waiting for IT support to get back to me I thought I'd try my luck here.

I just bought a new phone and transferred all my old apps and data to the new phone successfully, or so I thought. The one sticking point was the accounts for MS Authenticator. I use it for personal accounts as well as my work account, per their policy. So whenever I change my work password, I have to re-authenticate using the app. Problem is that for my work account, the authentication request is going to my old phone, which isn't an option because it was factory reset. So now that I've changed my work password, all my Microsoft work applications are locked out, because I can't access that authenticator. When I try to sign in to my work account on the authenticator on the new phone, it also sends an authentication request to the old phone, which again, will never work.

I don't know if there's something basic I'm missing, but any help would be appreciated.

Did you get a set of backup codes when you set up the authenticator?
That's something they'll usually only display once. I always take a photo of those, but have never had to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Do you not have a "I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO MY MICROSOFT AUTHENTICATOR APP" link per this?