Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Philthy posted:

Well, it ended up being a server wasn't available. The queue was 3400 people deep.

Eventually got in. Diggin' it anyway.

This demo does have its moments. This thread is 100% bashing it for deserved reasons, but for those who are lucky and it works just fine there are some cool things about it.

It just doesn’t have a long game loop however, so I end up only playing after updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Philthy posted:

Well, it ended up being a server wasn't available. The queue was 3400 people deep.

A queue of 3400 people? I guess they've started cutting server costs already.

It's probably good for Star Citizen, though; their sales always improve when fewer people can actually play the game.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

dialhforhero posted:

Store Citizer: It just doesn’t have a long game loop however, so I end up only playing after updates

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/zObd25C.mp4

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Classic AI pathing problem. Time for an update.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Filthy content vultures!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

3.23 is pretty good. Master modes makes pvp combat more viable for larger ships and people who haven't spent 10 years mastering dodging every shot. Ship weapon changes give options based on whether you want to fight smaller or larger ships, or try something in the middle. Distribution centers are interesting but there's a lot of room for more missions they claim are coming in 3.23.x with the cargo updates. Interface changes aren't perfect but are way better than the old interface. NPC ships fly smarter and are much more dangerous now. I'm having fun.

Servers are running surprisingly well for a popular patch, but I'm sure that will change once free-fly, Invictus and xenothreat kick off.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2024

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Source your quotes.

Alternately: um excuse me this is the star citizen bashing thread

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I would say unreservedly that the game is good and NOW is the time to buy an Idris or two.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I would say unreservedly that the game is good and NOW is the time to buy an Idris or two.

I will kindly suggest that a developer and their family couldn’t live off 1 or 2 idris

You want to leave them starving and destitute on the mean streets of (local cig sweat shop)?

You should be buying 1 a month at minimum

Also random thought does anyone else remember when that developer fell off his bike and broke his wrist this delaying one of their patches by months

But the aside here is that the backers actually tried to setup a kickstarter for his medical bills because cig wasn’t kicking in enough for insurance ?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Only a fool wouldn't send all the money they could to CIG now, in May 2024, when they are so close to the pipelines really opening up. It's going to happen! In the patch after the next one!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

3.23 is pretty good. Master modes makes pvp combat more viable for larger ships and people who haven't spent 10 years mastering dodging every shot. Ship weapon changes give options based on whether you want to fight smaller or larger ships, or try something in the middle. Distribution centers are interesting but there's a lot of room for more missions they claim are coming in 3.23.x with the cargo updates. Interface changes aren't perfect but are way better than the old interface. NPC ships fly smarter and are much more dangerous now. I'm having fun.

Servers are running surprisingly well for a popular patch, but I'm sure that will change once free-fly, Invictus and xenothreat kick off.

Is this a bit idgi

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Popete posted:

Yeah definitely something that would never happen in a Chris Roberts video game

I think it also says something that what the cat thinks of as "glaring issues" are misaligned geometry and clipping and not things such as fundamental game design issues or game-breaking/crash-to-desktop bugs.

He could have chosen any example he wanted to demonstrate what all these other lovely studios are doing and he honed in on minor graphical issues. Wtf.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 13, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
But complaining about the big stuff exposes just how flawed the project is!!!!!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Glassdoor: Whatever they promise you, it's not worth it (and not true) - Producer Cloud Imperium Games Employee Review posted:

Producer
Former employee, more than 1 year

Recommend X
CEO approval X
Business outlook X

Pros
A few stellar people holding the bulk of that pile of garbage project on their very tired, very weary shoulders. (You are lucky to have them, by the way. You take them for granted and treat them horribly.)

Cons
By far the most toxic work environment I ever experienced; and if the outrageous amount of people who either quit or were recently laid off's testimonies are to be believed, I'm far from alone in that mindset. Your experience and ideas will be ruthlessly dismissed. Everyone lives in a climate of constant burnout. No plan can be made, Ever. They are dismantled following the execs' whims. Then, when they do need you to plan, they will give you no heads up and you will be expected to produce a year-long planning in two days. Which will be worthless a week later because CR will have had a vision in his latte art that morning or something. The company will require you to be constantly "positive". No matter what. You cannot raise concerns, you cannot poke at a lack of logic or an unreasonable deadline. You will be labelled as disruptive and dismissed. You will never get the information you need to manage your teams, you will never be given the tools to fulfill your objectives, and you as a person will be ripped apart the moment you question any high level decision. Everytime you ask for an ETA on improvements that were promised to you, you will be told "just wait another quarter, then it'll get better" or "this release was really challenging so you can't expect it to arrive when planned". Do yourself and your mental health a favor, Give CIG as wide a berth as you possibly can.

Advice to Management
Let someone who actually knows how to release a game take charge. Update your impossibly archaic and broken development tools. Stop bullying the rare people on your teams actually raising the right flags. Stop putting the most outstanding incompetents in positions of power.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jeez can you imagine all these fake linkedin accounts just constantly producing fake reviews for over 10 years

Checkmate goontiflascids

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also all the positive reviews are great and totally real

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please ignore that nearly all of them are copy-pasted

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Tbh, while it's terribly funny and would be a pretty obvious reason for the state of the game after that many years and that many millions, I can't help but feel like the "latte art" gives it away as a pisstake. That's too close to the jokes we're making in here.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
When the gently caress did we last talk about latte art?

7 years ago when they posted that lovely counter?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

a real rude dude posted:

Is this a bit idgi

Actually I kind of agree.

The inventory/cargo update not being included is definitely its weak point but the overall update was pretty good tbh.

At least that was my 1 hour experience with it on Sunday:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i tried hopping on for a bit. Ran a bounty hunting mission and had to go to a cave to clear out some squatters. First person I shot gave me a level 3 crime stat so I suicided to go to prison to serve the sentence, about 6 hours

prison was glitched and I couldnt refill my O2 at the machines in the mines so I slowly started to suffocated to death as i desperately tried to escape the mining caves to get back to the main area that has breathable air. I barely make it back with about 10% life left and turned in my rocks to pay off the rest of my sentence

by that point, my buddy that i was trying to play with gave up on this session since the entire time i was dying in the prison mines, he was stuck in the spaceport at his home city. The guards there were glitched and were killing everyone that tried to use the spaceport, effectively locking the entire city down

this game is incredible, really. cant wait to see what they add next

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still have yet to hear what they added that is so great. It sounds like they kinda sorta have an implementation of dogfighting in their space game now? Congratulations on getting that sorted out 12 years into development.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I was impressed the NPCs weren’t T-posed on top of the benches for one.

So I give it 8/10.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Whatever they've done, they have managed to increase viewership on twitch pretty consistently over the past few days.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

At least some of the twitch streamers are self aware

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

phosdex posted:

Whatever they've done, they have managed to increase viewership on twitch pretty consistently over the past few days.

oh good does that mean that one bro dude streamer is back into the fold?

i honestly forget his name because he is so forgettable past the star citizen stuff

and i only really remember him, giogetmoney, the animu titty streamer from texas, and the other weirdo captain richard whomst had really concerning images on his splash screen for the first couple years

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Summit1g has been streaming SC 12+ hours a day for almost 2 weeks for some reason.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Summit1g has been streaming SC 12+ hours a day for like a week for some reason.

i mean, if he's streaming it its either because he has fallen rear end backwards into Chris Roberts dream, or they're paying him enough money to make it worth while

you decide

gotta use that calders 'marketing' money somehow right?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
My favorite streamer was Rexzilla

Shilled for exactly 1 year then never saw or heard of him playing Star Citizen ever again lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

holtemon posted:

Shilled for exactly 1 year then never saw or heard of him playing Star Citizen ever again lol

ALL IN! (for a very narrow definition of “all” and “in”).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG flew him to CitCon in the UK when they debuted Theaters of War which was supposed to be out in a few short months and then was unceremoniously cancelled (only confirmed years later).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Blue On Blue posted:

the animu titty streamer from texas

Ok, I have been a doubter, but that's me convinced. Grabbing an two Idris.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

holtemon posted:

You just don't get it.. tt's not just an org it's a movement! :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoatse posted:

You just don't get it.. tt's not just an org it's a movement! :v:

A peristaltic one, perhaps.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'll never get tired of citizens getting excited about quarterly patches that contain less than other games' hot fixes contain.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

dialhforhero posted:

Actually I kind of agree.

The inventory/cargo update not being included is definitely its weak point but the overall update was pretty good tbh.

At least that was my 1 hour experience with it on Sunday:

They shrunk all the ship internal cargo sizes in anticipation of the cargo release then didn't release it lol. So now you literally can't transport like 50% of the items in the game including basically all weapons.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Do the ships still move like they're noclipping around with obviously no weight whatsoever like they're little toy models made of balsa wood or something

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I'm happy that commandos itt enjoy the tram rides. I never could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Saros posted:

They shrunk all the ship internal cargo sizes in anticipation of the cargo release then didn't release it lol. So now you literally can't transport like 50% of the items in the game including basically all weapons.

Classic cig sales tactic

You need X to haul your cargo ! X will be working in this patch. Buy now X is only on sale for this limited time !