Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have such nostalgia for the 90's. It was a wild time. This thread has been great to read. Class of 99 baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I started this true crime doc series "The 90s: The Deadliest Decade" on Hulu.

It is very anachronistic but still a fun trip. The bumper graphics are pagers and AOL screen grabs, old TV ads and local news clips.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/obsoletesony/status/1789203799091126275?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That picture clearly isn't from 1995, though. I see a Crash Team Racing logo back there, so this would probably be 1999.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DMorbid posted:

That picture clearly isn't from 1995, though. I see a Crash Team Racing logo back there, so this would probably be 1999.

And Spyro didn't come out till '98.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Poor convention didn't even make it to 30.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

tribbledirigible posted:

And Spyro didn't come out till '98.
Yeah, the original Crash Bandicoot was 1996 (first revealed at that year's E3), Parappa was 1997 and Spyro was 1998. The first Twisted Metal did come out in late 1995, a couple of months after the system's US release, so Sweet Tooth could maybe have been on the show floor in 1995.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

DMorbid posted:

yeah it is 99

another angle from a au gaming mag

e: some video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwIndXyAwY

spaceblancmange has a new favorite as of 10:13 on May 12, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Did anyone here have, or know anyone that had a dancing coke can?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

wesleywillis posted:

I had a dancing bud light can in the 2000s

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

All hail Barfield

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I bought that Barfield shirt for my son years ago, and after he outgrew it, his sister took it over. A family heirloom!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

wesleywillis posted:

Yep.

Both grandmas. :3:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dialhforhero posted:

Yep.

Both grandmas. :3:

Your posting is remarkably coherent for someone with 1/2 aluminum ancestry.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Guessing great-grandfather was Tin Man?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Guessing great-grandfather was Tin Man?

No.

Cracker Tin on one side and Hershey’s Syrup can for the other.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Poor convention didn't even make it to 30.

Hell, it didn’t even get to join the 27 Club

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I only moved to the states in '95 so I assume I juuust missed these:

https://i.imgur.com/qoqrmA7.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Ga7TDK9.mp4

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

You've done it. You've found the whitest videos that have ever existed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Buncha lamestains. Harsh realm, cob nobbler.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I don’t remember a single one of those being in common usage in the 90s except “peace”. I feel like this was made to trick unsuspecting ESL students into sounding almost American. Or the producer had a 48 hour deadline and just made stuff up

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I still hear “Maguiver” (sp?) used all time… but not in the way the way they used it

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Pearl clutching is not the same of course but is around.

Also I still say “yo” :ohdear:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"Norville" as a usurper is a reference to Deborah Norville, who was tapped to replace popular Jane Pauley as co-host of the Today Show and got a lot of undeserved poo poo for it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dialhforhero posted:

“Pearl clutching” itself vastly predates the 90s, and while I’m sure there’s a lot of 90s slang that I’ve forgotten or which never rose to sufficient prominence to show up in a sitcom, I have never, ever heard someone use “Clutch the pearls!” as an expression.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was listening to a podcast that described the 90's as a 10 year coke party and the 2000's was waking up the next day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wesleywillis posted:

Me & my brother had them, the regular Coke (red) & Diet Coke (white). I think I still have the diet one around somewhere & it surprisingly works after all these years & cross-country moves.

E: Found it!

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 22:32 on May 18, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I was listening to a podcast that described the 90's as a 10 year coke party and the 2000's was waking up the next day.

The 90s were way more about weed. The 80s was the coke.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some big cultural events that signify the end of the 90s? Ya know like people use Altamont or the Manson murders to bookend the 60s.

I guess 9/11 is the obvious one.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

That's probably enough.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I guess 9/11 is the obvious one.
You think?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah 9/11 is the obvious answer but I'd pick the introduction of the iPod as a dark horse runner-up. All of a sudden bright colors, fun fonts and XTREME were dead, it's gonna be cold understated white for the next decade.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

dialhforhero posted:

Do you say "yo" before or after your statement? It makes a difference.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah 9/11 is the obvious answer but I'd pick the introduction of the iPod as a dark horse runner-up. All of a sudden bright colors, fun fonts and XTREME were dead, it's gonna be cold understated white for the next decade.

The first gen iPod went on sale two months after 9/11. Timing is coincidence (or is it :freep:) but that just feels like it was another nail in the coffin for that whole 90s aesthetic that was already fading a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ninjahedgehog posted:

the iPod, famously devoid of bright colors

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

trilobite terror posted:

the iPod, famously devoid of bright colors

I mean, the OG was just white and grey.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah 9/11 is the obvious answer but I'd pick the introduction of the iPod as a dark horse runner-up. All of a sudden bright colors, fun fonts and XTREME were dead, it's gonna be cold understated white for the next decade forever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What are some big cultural events that signify the end of the 90s? Ya know like people use Altamont or the Manson murders to bookend the 60s.

I want to say Bush v Gore, because it ended a period of relative political harmony (despite Gingrich and the blowjob impeachment). I consider that ruling to be a sign of things to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I want to say Bush v Gore, because it ended a period of relative political harmony (despite Gingrich and the blowjob impeachment). I consider that ruling to be a sign of things to come.

Maybe it's a sign of my age, but I don't remember the 90s being a relatively calm political period, it was just mostly turned inward.