Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

People keep saying Russia is using human wave attacks but every actual description of Russian infantry tactics in this war I’ve heard is

Where are you getting your descriptions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gejnor posted:

Hows it hanging, russian turtle tank?

yeah...

Man that looks nasty. They should really put some armor plating on those vehicles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"I mean they talk about how they sent a ton of people at this hill and they all died, and then they did it again and again, and when they took the hill they all got shelled and lost the hill, but nobody ever explicitly said the words 'Human wave tactics' so it could be anything.".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Psa: Gripweed recently asserted that the USA would lose a war to China because, I quote, “they have more people and can make more stuff than us”

After we all had a good laugh over the matter Gripweed made it clear that they were dead serious and had no further expertise or detail on their assertions.

I would advise against benefit of the doubt wrt their earnestness in posting

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

A true believer instead of the more common cynical accelerationist?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't have any reason to doubt their sincerity. They could be a colossal idiot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

A true believer instead of the more common cynical accelerationist?

This was my ultimate interpretation yes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Coolguye posted:

Psa: Gripweed recently asserted that the USA would lose a war to China because, I quote, “they have more people and can make more stuff than us”

After we all had a good laugh over the matter Gripweed made it clear that they were dead serious and had no further expertise or detail on their assertions.

I would advise against benefit of the doubt wrt their earnestness in posting

I remember that, you said America could overcome significant deficits in both manpower and industrial capacity simply by having honest, competent leadership.

I do not wish to be rude, but I certainly didn’t walk away from that conversation with greater faith in your logic and analysis than you did in mine.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Gripweed posted:

People keep saying Russia is using human wave attacks but every actual description of Russian infantry tactics in this war I’ve heard is usually something like “they send small groups across a broad front and pull back where they meet heavy resistance and reinforce the attacks where they meet light resistance”. Which isn’t a human wave attack. So I have doubts as to have much Russia really is using human wave attacks.

I'm not especially committed to the term so I'll just accept this at face value, but they're losing >1k men a day and we regularly see complaints from people saying their entire unit was wiped out. My point wasn't the exact tactic, it was the horrific losses for marginal gains, which make it pretty easy to believe there's motivation to surrender.

Gripweed posted:

I’m getting it from the second line of the translation, which reads “394 Motor Rifle Regiment of the RF armed forces”

I don't think it's reasonable to conclude from that that their command's concern is the entire regiment surrendering as one rather than to suppress surrender of any amount or even ideation surrounding same.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey Gripweed, could you answer my question please? It would be interesting to see what the differences are between sources, because the descriptions I've heard do match up with "meat waves", which in turn matches up with stuff that's harder to fake like self-reported losses, causality rates and teritory gains.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Karate Bastard posted:

Could you answer my question instead please? It would be interesting to see what the differences are between sources, because the descriptions I've heard do match up with "meat waves", which in turn matches up with stuff that's harder to fake like self-reported losses, causality rates and teritory gains.

I just pop into the Ukraine threads from time to time, I have no special sources.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, gotcha! I've followed the Reporting From Ukraine guy on youtube. He seems to provide factual reporting that does match up with bigger patterns, and he does describe meat waves.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If you actually had seen some of the videos on twitter, which I suggest that no one does, then you'd probably understand the human meat wave thing.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
:shrek: "Know that we will definitely defeat this nazi nation!"

:ironicat: "Didn't the Kremlin say Ukraine doesn't exist and has always been Russian land?"

:shrek: "Blyat!"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm happy combat footage exists, so there is a higher chance that war criminals get to face consequences due, but that stuff is not for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I remember that, you said America could overcome significant deficits in both manpower and industrial capacity simply by having honest, competent leadership.

I do not wish to be rude, but I certainly didn’t walk away from that conversation with greater faith in your logic and analysis than you did in mine.
as i had to say in the other thread, 3 times: i said no such thing. that is your willful misinterpretation of what was said.

more generally: i introduced one particular facet modifying your supposed facts and you misinterpreted it in the most aggressively racist way possible, even when it was pointed out to you that there were very practical ways of interpreting what i was saying.

i didn't follow up further because you were trying to start a political slapfight in PYF of all places. i will continue to refuse to engage you on the topic here because this is the ukraine thread. if you'd like to actually have that fight, i encourage you to head over to the gbs china thread and i am sure you will get far more than just me pointing out how incredibly uninformed and racist you are.

for the purposes of this thread i felt this particular bit of context was important, and to no surprise of mine, the other threadgoers seem to consider that context important.

you may want to consider why that is.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 13, 2024

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gripweed posted:

I just pop into the Ukraine threads from time to time, I have no special sources.

....so your source is "I made it the gently caress up"?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mulva posted:

many people are saying

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mulva posted:

No I’ve read it in the Ukraine threads.

Coolguye posted:

this came up 3 times in the other thread but i said no such thing.

i introduced one particular facet modifying your supposed facts and you misinterpreted it in the most aggressively racist way possible, even when it was pointed out to you that there were very practical ways of interpreting what i was saying.

i didn't follow up further because you were trying to start a political slapfight in PYF of all places. i will continue to refuse to engage you on the topic here because this is the ukraine thread. if you'd like to actually have that fight, i encourage you to head over to the gbs china thread and i am sure you will get far more than just me pointing out how incredibly uninformed and racist you are.

for the purposes of this thread i felt this particular bit of context was important, and to no surprise of mine, the other threadgoers seem to consider that context important.

you may want to consider why that is.

I dunno I still think the thing you said was pretty racist but you’re right this isn’t the the thread to debate it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The description of meat waves mostly comes from Russian social media. They will send 10 guys forward and 2 or 3 guys (actual veterans) stand back and observe and mark positions for artillery. If the 10 guys dont come back, well whatever because they did their job.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Burns posted:

The description of meat waves mostly comes from Russian social media. They will send 10 guys forward and 2 or 3 guys (actual veterans) stand back and observe and mark positions for artillery. If the 10 guys dont come back, well whatever because they did their job.

That’s also not a human wave attack!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Reporting From Ukraine guy on YouTube provides sanitized footage along with his commentary, that has the horredous parts pixelated/blurred out, so people so inclined can match what he says to geolocated unaltered footage, but people not so inclined do not need to get traumatized. His videos are only a handful minutes every other day or so, and are imho a good way to keep up to date without sifting through horror or obvious bullshittery.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I mean, if there is one thing Russia is historically known for it's senseless waste of human lives, even in peacetime.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I dunno I still think the thing you said was pretty racist but you’re right this isn’t the the thread to debate it.
the amount of racism you laid down in there has gotten people banned out of D&D lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coolguye posted:

the amount of racism you laid down in there has gotten people banned out of D&D lol

People can go read the thread dude. You can’t somehow juijitsu me into being the racist one from you saying that China could never defeat America in a war because their society rewards lying.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Never said it was.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

People can go read the thread dude. You can’t somehow juijitsu me into being the racist one from you saying that China could never defeat America in a war because their society rewards lying.

i also did not say that

it's very strange how you continue to make a statement about governance instead about race even after all this time lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Where are you getting your descriptions?

Direct from the Kremlin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gripweed posted:

more like a human ripple

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Karate Bastard posted:

Man that looks nasty. They should really put some armor plating on those vehicles.

Soon

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mulva posted:

I wondered why i had him on ignore, must have been several weeks ago. :shrug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coolguye posted:

i also did not say that

it's very strange how you continue to make a statement about governance instead about race even after all this time lol

Dude you specifically said “both civilian and state” you were very explicit that you weren’t just talking about the government. You said a racist thing and are still pissed at me for calling you out so you brought it up here. Just move on.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Gripweed posted:

Dude you specifically said “both civilian and state” you were very explicit that you weren’t just talking about the government. You said a racist thing and are still pissed at me for calling you out so you brought it up here. Just move on.

You move on :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

are you aware that governments have impacts on civilian enterprises? or could that just be one of the willful misinterpretations i thought would be relevant in this very thread?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coolguye posted:

are you aware that governments have impacts on civilian enterprises? or could that just be one of the willful misinterpretations i thought would be relevant in this very thread?

Ok so your position is the Chinese society rewards lying but only because of the government so it’s not racist for you to say that?

And none of this actually contradicts the original characterization I made of your argument in this thread, that America would win because our government is more honest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Ok so your position is the Chinese society rewards lying but only because of the government so it’s not racist for you to say that?

is the government the same thing as the people it governs? CAREFUL how you answer that with regard to ukraine and russia.

e: in response to your fake edit, no, that is not what was said, ever, at any point. one particular facet was raised, and you responded to it with ignorance and racism. it never got past that initial exchange.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 13, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coolguye posted:

is the government the same thing as the people it governs? CAREFUL how you answer that with regard to ukraine and russia.

Ok so yes you do agree with my post you quoted there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.

You're both idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Ok so yes you do agree with my post you quoted there.

i didn't say that. or anything, for that matter. i asked you to answer a question. if you'd like to talk honestly i was and still am open to it. but you will please need to answer the question.